Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-12-2002, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Maybe once, maybe twice

Alright, so I got my annual "Gypsy" attack... Listening to this song over and over, the Stevie images and vocals, Christine's beautiful keyboards, the syncrhonization between the bass and the drums... and that solo at the end.

Since I'm no expert at guitars at all, and I'm only learning to play simple chords I can't really talk about technicisms in Lindsey's guitar playing on this track. BUT, I'd really like to hear the input from our guitarists here... How's this final part played? Is it just ONE solo with ONE guitar, done at such an incredible speed, or are there overdubbs? How does he manage to transport it to a live performance? Am I the only one who thinks this solo is right up there with the best performances in the history of music?

I want to know some more details about this, if anyone can provide more info, thank you very much.

Song of the moment - Gypsy
Old 11-12-2002, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Lightning strikes!

Hi Cristian

When I read your post I pulled out Mirage to have a re-listen to Gypsy because I thought maybe there was something there that I'd forgotten about......! Well, basically, I mean this in a totally un-stupid, un-immodest etc etc etc way, but that solo is really not that difficult to play. He plays it in a very similar way live aswell. On the Mirage album version, there are other guitars playing, but providing rhythm only...THAT solo that you're talking about is only one guitar. He's using a delay effect with it, which means that every note that's played is "recorded and re-played" by the FX box, and this makes it flow better and sound fuller than it otherwise would. He uses the same effect on stage both on Mirage and the Dance.

I know it sounds really cool, and to someone who's not a guitarist it must seem really impressive, but I would put it down as one of the easiest LB solos around (for any half-decent guitarist.) I'm sure fellow guitarists here will agree.

If you want to know technically how it's played...basically for that "fast part", index finger holds the e and B string on the 13th fret, and then the third alternates between hammering on the 15th on the e and the B then pulling off to the respective 13th, with the 4th finger hitting the 17th on the e every now and again. If you don't play guitar that must look like a mess, but if you do you'll see how easy it is. In fact, that method I've described above is one of the two most frequently used methods during LB's solos from '75 right through to GOS....it's a relatively easy method, especially when you use delay FX, to sound really fast to non-guitarists' ears. Regardless, it sounds awesome.

Quote:
am I the only one who thinks this solo is right up there with the best performances in the history of music?

I'd have to disagree with you there! lol!

p.s. for some incredible LB style (but more impressive to my ears) guitar work check out Leo Kottke's "Airproofing II" and Colin Reid's "Harmonium".

Last edited by seteca; 11-12-2002 at 08:40 PM..
Old 11-12-2002, 10:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Speaking of....without wasting an entire thread-
To all you guitar buffs out there, what do you consider:
1) Lindsey's best guitar work/solo on an album cut?
2) Ditto for a live performance?

I'll answer my own questions rather tersely because I'd really rather hear what all of you have to say. 1) Rhiannon, just fills the gaps in the song so well, very well crafted 2) I'm So Afraid (Tusk or Mirage era), just mind blowing solos, great stuff.
-Brian
Old 11-13-2002, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by bjk3047
Speaking of....without wasting an entire thread-
To all you guitar buffs out there, what do you consider:
1) Lindsey's best guitar work/solo on an album cut?
2) Ditto for a live performance?

I'll answer my own questions rather tersely because I'd really rather hear what all of you have to say. 1) Rhiannon, just fills the gaps in the song so well, very well crafted 2) I'm So Afraid (Tusk or Mirage era), just mind blowing solos, great stuff.
-Brian
I always answer these questions in two sections...a) what I find to be technically impressive, and b) what I think simply ROCKS!, regardless of whether it is 1 or 120 notes per bar!

So.....

Album cut:

Most technically impressive: "Instrumental Introduction To This Is The Time".

And what ROCKS!!!: Tie between "Come" & "Go Your Own Way".

Live Performance:

Most technically impressive: "Never Going Back Again", the whole of it!!! ("I'm So Afraid '82" is a distant second.)

And what simply ROCKS you to death!!!: "I'm So Afraid '97" and "Go Your Own Way '97".

(Although LB did cheat with GYOW'97...what you hear on the CD/DVD is NOT 100% what he played live, there are bits here and there on that solo which were added in the studio and those are the bits that I love the most about that '97 solo, but I'll pretend that he actually played it like that live anyway!!!)

Old 11-13-2002, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Lightning strikes!

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca
He's using a delay effect with it, which means that every note that's played is "recorded and re-played" by the FX box, and this makes it flow better and sound fuller than it otherwise would. He uses the same effect on stage both on Mirage and the Dance.
Cool! I basically wanted to know what the trick was.

Quote:
I know it sounds really cool, and to someone who's not a guitarist it must seem really impressive, but I would put it down as one of the easiest LB solos around (for any half-decent guitarist.)
It's also nice to know your opinion as an expert, thanks.

Song of the moment - Heart Of Stone
Old 11-13-2002, 10:54 PM
Junior Ledgie

Question What about Try for the Sun?

Can I ask the same question about the seemingly live instrumental take of "Try for the Sun"? Is there someone out there who can break down how he does that one? I love that version so much. It never fails to impress me... and rarely fails to impress anyone else I make listen to it. Should we be impressed, or is it just another elaborate-sounding trick? (If any of you were wondering, I'm a guitar moron.)

Bill
Old 11-14-2002, 03:50 PM
Ledgie

I agree with all you, it was very interesting to find out how on earth that worked. And thank you Cristian, my friend, for giving me yet another reason to listen to that song...
Old 11-14-2002, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Maybe Once,Maybe Twice, Maybe three Times!

Once: GYOW !
Twice: Im so Afraid...all versions!
Three Times...BigLove...all versions!

Lindsey ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 11-14-2002, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by unsuspecting
Can I ask the same question about the seemingly live instrumental take of "Try for the Sun"? Is there someone out there who can break down how he does that one? I love that version so much. It never fails to impress me... and rarely fails to impress anyone else I make listen to it. Should we be impressed, or is it just another elaborate-sounding trick? (If any of you were wondering, I'm a guitar moron.)

Bill
What do you mean by "break down"...? I can play it and if you want I can tab it out for you but you say you don't play guitar so....?

It's basically some really good Travis picking. You keep a steady bass going with your hand moving up and down with your thumb in a pretty much fixed position, and change the string you're playing with it by moving the position of your hand, not your thumb. Then the index and middle finger move in a sort of "cycle" manner (I'm not sure how else to describe it) playing the middle (rhythm) notes, and then my 3rd and 4th fingers usually play the melody (usually on the B and e string)...This is not a fixed rule though, sometimes I (have to) use my index/middle finger to play the melody.

Quote:
It never fails to impress me... and rarely fails to impress anyone else I make listen to it. Should we be impressed, or is it just another elaborate-sounding trick?
Yep! Be impressed! Be especially impressed at a man who can not only play like that, but also SING that amazingly well at the same time! Travis picking (DOING IT *WELL*) is one of the hardest guitar-playing methods around, and it took me a gazillion years to get where I am, and I still think I'm crap compared to LB and some of these artists I've seen.

No "elaborate-sounding trick"! Hehe, don't get me wrong about Gypsy, the playing is good, and it does take a lot of skill. If you use "delay" and play well, it makes you sound even better, but if you make one mistake, that mistake is recorded and replayed, possibly many times if you have a high repeat setting, so it can work to your disadvantage just as much as it does to your advantage. It's just not AS impressive for me as I guess it must be for a non-guitarist.

The "live" Try For The Sun is not exactly "raw" i.e. it's still obviously gone through various studio gadgets and EQ etc and there may be some light delay or various other effects going on (I'm pretty sure I can hear some sort of synthezier backing or else he's done something to the guitar tone after recording), but for all intents and purposes, what you're hearing IS what was played, and if he was to play it in front of you right now on an unplugged acoustic it would sound pretty much the same. Yep, one man, one guitar. Awesome stuff!

(If anyone wants to know the details of how it's played please feel free to drop me an email / PM).

Last edited by seteca; 11-14-2002 at 10:26 PM..