Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-27-2002, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Wear you down demo

Having recently downloaded this GOS demo and hearing it for about the millionth time, I realise I really like it- kinda appeals to my warped sense of humour and lends to all kinds of imagination . Anyway, am I the only one who thinks it could be Stevie singing in the background, or is Lindsey doing it AGAIN! Teasing us all and putting his voice through a machine?? Could be rather fun to see them do this in concert though, don't you think?
Old 04-27-2002, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Wear you down demo

Quote:
Originally posted by tuigirl
Having recently downloaded this GOS demo and hearing it for about the millionth time, I realise I really like it- kinda appeals to my warped sense of humour and lends to all kinds of imagination . Anyway, am I the only one who thinks it could be Stevie singing in the background, or is Lindsey doing it AGAIN! Teasing us all and putting his voice through a machine?? Could be rather fun to see them do this in concert though, don't you think?
I doubt very much that Stevie is on any of Lindsey's solo demos or albums.

Barbara
Old 04-27-2002, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, Barbara...your'e probably right! I was thinking more if the demo ended up on the new FM Cd as opposed to the GOS one, it would be a good excuse to have a bit of fun onstage!!
Old 04-27-2002, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I just re-listened to it and.....

Quote:
Originally posted by tuigirl
.....Teasing us all and putting his voice through a machine??......
Yep!! I'm 100% sure he's machined his voice!!

LOL!

Old 04-27-2002, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Enjoyable Song

While he does carry on for a bit too long - lol - I do like these love grunts better than the Big Love ones. Maybe it's the "uh-huh" he sticks in there! ;-)

When I first heard it, I thought the lyrics were "I'm gonna WORK you down." I liked this idea a lot ;-) I was actually disappointed when I discovered it was WEAR you down! lol After all, which would you rather be done to you? hehe. But still a cool song! Too bad the a lot of the other lyrics are barely discernable.

Old 04-28-2002, 04:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Hmmmm...

WELL..it's not totally inconcieveable, that Stevie could be on one of his solo projects is it? After all, he's been on hers (TISL for example, his guitar anyway!) and "Twisted" was a joint effort too. Didn't I hear that both Mick and Christine helped on the GOS tracks as well...So..it's not impossible.What gets me though, is when he does put his voice through THAT machine, it comes out sounding like Stevie anyway!"Big Love" being a good example!Maybe his wicked sense of humour gets the better of him and he likes to tease us along!!!
Sodascouts...your'e right, the "uh-huhs" make all the difference!

Last edited by tuigirl; 04-28-2002 at 07:19 AM..
Old 04-30-2002, 04:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

Location: Minnesota....but really ANYWHERE but HERE.....because it SUCKS!!!
Heart GOOD SONG!....

BETTER TITLE!!....I hope some of this solo material ends up on the FM album...cause I want to see these in concert, STEVIE'S VOCALS ADDED!!! I mean when Stevie added some vocals to that Hall of Fame version of BIG LOVE(allbeit an FM song....but it was a disappointment to find out that it was a machine doing the female "ooohs and ahhhs" on "Tango in the NIght")...that was the BEST version of THAT song...PERIOD......tour Tour TOUR!!!!

LOL
~alex~*

"Bondage looks good on ya B, the outfits all wrong, but hey"~Faith in 'Enemies'

"Hello, GAY now"~ Willow in 'Triangle'
Old 04-30-2002, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, the "spectre of Stevie" is definitely there in "She Smiled Sweetly". Whether it actually IS her or not is debateable, yes, but it sure SOUNDS like her.

Why would he want it to sound like her?
I guess he likes her voice.
Old 05-01-2002, 10:26 AM

Default easy explanation

Why would he want it to sound like her?
I guess he likes her voice. [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't think Lindsey necessarily wants to sound like Stevie. He started using the effects on his voice to sound more like her in the harmonies because Ms. Nicks simply would not show up in the studio when the band was recording Mirage and Tango. Lindsey has spoken of the frustration with her absences. I believe that for both those albums she spend a total of eight or nine days in the studio.

This is only one of the many reasons I feel slighted about not getting the solo CD from Lindsey. Not only does Stevie gets hers released, we have to wait for 10 years for new music from Lindsey, and then it becomes a Fleetwood Mac album. I would rather just get a solo album. Stevie, meanwhile is out and about doing PR crap, while Lindsey does all the work.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"She Smiled Sweetly" was not on Mirage or Tango. It is a GOS demo.

I was referring the earlier comment about Stevie not being on any of his solo demos.

I know about all that Mirage and Tango stuff.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sulamith
[B]"She Smiled Sweetly" was not on Mirage or Tango. It is a GOS demo.

I am aware of that.

I see how what I wrote may have implied that She Smiled Sweetly was on one of those albums, but I merely meant to say that he started to use the effects back then and has continued to use them since. It appears I went on a tangent before completing my thought.

Be that as it may, I'd still rather have a solo album.
Old 05-01-2002, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: easy explanation

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca

This is only one of the many reasons I feel slighted about not getting the solo CD from Lindsey. Not only does Stevie gets hers released, we have to wait for 10 years for new music from Lindsey, and then it becomes a Fleetwood Mac album. I would rather just get a solo album. Stevie, meanwhile is out and about doing PR crap, while Lindsey does all the work.
I have to say, realistically, that I believe if it were not for FM that Lindsey would never release ANYTHING. I mean, how long has GOS been in the works? True, in 1997 Lindsey blamed FM and its reunion for delaying his solo album's release. But then after The Dance was released....no more FM complication...and still nothing...for FIVE years. Yet these demos indicate it was indeed almost ready. So...? There must be other factors, non-FM related, as to why Lindsey chooses not to release GOS. We all know it was ready for this past year, 2001, according to Lindsey himself in his BTM. So, what happened? I don't know, but I don't think it was FM that kept that from materializing. How could they, if it was ready to go?

I'd love to have a solo album from Lindsey, but I've given up on it. I'm grateful for FM and the fact that through them, we fans will get to hear some of this in its final incarnation. Sadly, I can bet after this album and its tour are done and Lindsey once again has all the time in the world....we will still not see GOS. I hope I'm wrong, but...I have a bad feeling that I'm right.

As for the PR crap, Lindsey got out to do the NYE thing, and I think he could get in on a couple others if he wanted (though, admittedly, he does have a lot more to do than Stevie. I wouldn't say ALL the work, but even soley-Stevie fans must admit that he puts in a heck of a lot more time). He seems to have a repoire with David Letterman, I bet Dave wouldn't mind him sitting in a little. Of course, another factor is that Lindsey doesn't have a Sheryl to go around with either.

So, don't feel slighted! Be glad! Half an album of Lindsey is better than no album from Lindsey - and frankly, that seems to be the alternative. It's this or nothing, my friend.

Old 05-03-2002, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'd love to have a solo album from Lindsey, but I've given up on it. I'm grateful for FM and the fact that through them, we fans will get to hear some of this in its final incarnation. Sadly, I can bet after this album and its tour are done and Lindsey once again has all the time in the world....we will still not see GOS.
Giving up on an LB solo album is the most realistic thing to do. He's not interested enough in putting out albums any more to do so. I don't know whether anything originally destined for "Screws" is going to be repurposed for Fleetwood Mac, but others think that will happen.

It isn't just Lindsey Buckingham's solo career that is dead in the water; it's probably Fleetwood Mac's career, too. The current members don't seem to be willing to keep the group active. Fleetwood Mac is an afterthought. The members spend year after year running around doing other things, & then start "thinking about" recording together. Fleetwood's not exactly extinct, but it's certainly not active, either. It's probably what the volcanologists call dormant, which means "sleeping," which pretty much sums up that poor band. The solo career nonsense, originally a way for certain members to find a little satisfaction between Mac bouts, wound up destroying the band -- ironic considering the solo albums initially helped save the band from disintegrating from exhaustion & hurt feelings & group alienation.
Old 05-03-2002, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David

The solo career nonsense, originally a way for certain members to find a little satisfaction between Mac bouts, wound up destroying the band -- ironic considering the solo albums initially helped save the band from disintegrating from exhaustion & hurt feelings & group alienation.
I'm wondering if they even made any money on the solo efforts? Lindsey probably didn't sell enough to break even or fund the costs of the OOTC tour, musicians, etc. Stevie may have made some money on her solo albums and concerts - I don't know. At least she's making some personal appearances and stoking her career fire occasionally. And, although they protest that money is never the motivation, I don't think they expect to lose money either.

I sorta feel like this is their last hurrah. I think Lindsey will go off and produce or arrange for other musicians and Stevie will continue to make appearances and possibly solo albums. Mick will have to join a band in order to support himself and John's probably rich enough to just sail around having fun.

Good to see you here in Lindseyland, David! We need smart thoughtful people like you.

Barbara
Old 05-03-2002, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I completely agree with David and Barbara. I've been thinking about this for awhile. Fleetwood Mac hasn't really been a full time active band since the end of the Tusk tour in late 1980. In 1981, the solo albums started-from Stevie, Lindsey & Mick. After that,they released Fleetwood Mac albums only occasionally.

I think this Buckingham/Nicks project will probably be the last Fleetwood Mac album. It's not surprising, since they are all in their 50's and probably rich enough. I agree that Lindsey will probably work with other musicians and Stevie probably has another 1 or 2 solo albums left in her. Christine is already retired and I don't blame her a bit.

As for Gift of Screws, I think that it's just never going to happen. I'm just glad that thanks to the internet, I still have a GOS CD, even if it's not the finished product that Lindsey had intended. I doubt that Lindsey even cares about a solo career now. After all, he is now married with 2 small children. He has other priorities now.

Last edited by macfan 57; 05-03-2002 at 03:01 PM..