Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-06-2003, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by jmn3
By any chance, is this the "Hold Me" where in the beginning Lindsey makes some odd noise "Hiyooo"...and then Chris is laughing about something. Then Linds goes into one of his canned speeches "This is the...this is uh...was the uh... first single off the Mirage album...it's one of my favorites...one of Chris'...it's called Hold Me!"

Maybe not...I don't hear Chris laughing in this version, and I've got the order of "one of my favorites" and "one of Chris'" reversed and Lindsey says "I think this is a hell of a song...it's called Hold Me", but like you said Lindsey's little speeches are always the same so it's a little hard to tell.

By the by, this got me thinking about Chris and Lindsey...anyone else notice that there's one significant Lindsey/Chris collaboration on every album?

World Turning
Don't Stop
Think About Me
Hold Me
Mystified

Just a product of them being in the studio together more since Stevie (as she admits herself) often wasn't there? I don't know...just something I've noticed...

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 08-06-2003, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Okay, so by any chance did Chris let loose and get all Stevie-esque on the end of Rhiannon? That song was still rocking back during the Mirage days...I jsut can't imagine Christine McVie doing the "I don't change, you don't change, it's all the saaaaaaaame - RHIANNONNNNNNNN..." at all. But I would pay good money to hear it!
I only have a 13 second clip of Chris' Rhiannon, but I just can't imagine her letting loose like that! Anyone have a longer version???

Old 08-06-2003, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

As you might imagine, when Chris filled in for Stevie, she only sang the bare minimum, cause the point was for the rest of the band to practice - including herself. So the vocals are nothing exciting, quite soft and unclear in the mix (which is scratchy anyway), and I can assure you - no "Take me by the wind" stuff!

Sugar - although Don't Stop, Think About Me and Hold Me are written by Chris (well, Hold Me was co-written with Robbie Patton or someone I think?), you make an interesting point about them coming across as joint efforts, not just from the vocal sharing. They all have that same hard rocking sound ... and the idea of the instrumental musicians having fun and 'jamming' in Stevie's absence makes sense.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The songs that Sugar pointed out all have a similar "sound"--I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. It's like a jam session. I love the LB and CM collaborations.

I heard that when Stevie's band practices for her shows, Sharon sings all of Stevie's songs, and then Stevie comes in when it gets closer to the tour starting. I think that's weird, but Stevie's a busy girl.

"If you f*ck with my people, I'm gonna get real f*cking angry!" (Stevie-1988)

If I'd have written a song on "Rumours"? How about "You want a what?", or "We should have had a Pre-Nup". (John McVie)
Old 08-06-2003, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Oh yeah, DownOnRodeo, I didn't really mean from a writing point of view, but more from the point that they aren't mearly acting as band members or backing vocalists, but have more equitable "featured" roles on the songs.

Although upon further reflection, I suppose the same could be said about "Crystal" and "I Don't Want To Know" with Lindsey and Stevie (interestingly, both Stevie penned). For obvious reasons that trend seemed to end after Rumours. Perhaps there was just always an intention to pair off the three singers in different combinations to make things interesting and Lindsey and Chris opted to continue on even after the "Lindsey/Stevie" combination became...shall we say...less desirable for the concerned parties...

Old 08-06-2003, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why didn't Stevie and Christine ever write songs together, or sing more than backing vocals on each others songs? What a shame...

If I'd have written a song on "Rumours"? How about "You want a what?", or "We should have had a Pre-Nup". (John McVie)
Old 08-06-2003, 10:53 PM
Senior Ledgie

yeah there really wasn't any lindsey/stevie duets anymore after "i don't want to know"... i wonder why... actually i think i prefer the christine/lindsey duets like "hold me" their voices really work well together...
Old 08-07-2003, 05:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by WednesdaysChild
Why didn't Stevie and Christine ever write songs together, or sing more than backing vocals on each others songs? What a shame...
Christine has said in various interviews that she & Stevie were not compatable together as writers, just too different, I guess.

I do agree with everyone. The Chris & Lindsey duets are terrific. Their voices blended together perfectly.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by macfan 57
Christine has said in various interviews that she & Stevie were not compatable together as writers, just too different, I guess.
Am I the only one who's inspired for a new thread where we submit Stevie songs as edited by Christine and vice versa?
Old 08-07-2003, 08:09 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Reeeeeaaaarrrr Someone gets bitchy when things don't go her way!

(If you f*ck with my songs, I'm gonna get real f*cking angry!)
I listened to it last night, and it is fairly subtle, but I'm surprised I never noticed it before.

The song is going along, and the music stops just past the halfway point. Christine says "I can't hear the piano well." Then Stevie says, kind of calmly, "Well, I can't hear any harmony, and it's probably because you're not singing."

Chris ignores the statement and continues to work on the sound of the piano.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:10 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David R
yeah there really wasn't any lindsey/stevie duets anymore after "i don't want to know"... i wonder why...

Except for Twisted, which I would love to see them do live. I also think Lindsey would sound great on Leather & Lace.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by ericktul
I listened to it last night, and it is fairly subtle, but I'm surprised I never noticed it before.

The song is going along, and the music stops just past the halfway point. Christine says "I can't hear the piano well." Then Stevie says, kind of calmly, "Well, I can't hear any harmony, and it's probably because you're not singing."

Chris ignores the statement and continues to work on the sound of the piano.

Oh, so it wasn't a bitching out of Christine and Lindsey then? Just a matter-of-fact statement?

Old 08-07-2003, 09:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David R
yeah there really wasn't any lindsey/stevie duets anymore after "i don't want to know"... i wonder why...
Maybe it's because they could barely stand to be in the same room together, and when they did have to work closely on songs it was probably like pulling teeth.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:00 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
By any chance, is this the "Hold Me" where in the beginning Lindsey makes some odd noise "Hiyooo"...and then Chris is laughing about something. Then Linds goes into one of his canned speeches "This is the...this is uh...was the uh... first single off the Mirage album...it's one of my favorites...one of Chris'...it's called Hold Me!"
Hey I've got that one. I think it's from Memphis '83, but I could be wrong. ok i just looked at the tour dates for mirage and that doesn't seem to make any sense whatsoever. ok that's better perhaps Memphis October 12th 1982.

Kate
when it's cold outside i can say, this sucks,
and i won't have to hear you say, get tough,
and i'll never have to think, what a pity i can't
go touch that man."
- Laura Thomas

Last edited by kdemelli; 08-07-2003 at 11:02 AM..
Old 08-07-2003, 11:23 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, so it wasn't a bitching out of Christine and Lindsey then? Just a matter-of-fact statement?
I wouldn't say that, exactly. I think it was aimed a Chris more than Lindsey. It has the feel that she may have been giving her the evil eye while saying it. You can tell she's a little frustrated, but not much.

Kind of funny, the problem I've always had with Sara (especially the unedited version) is that it just goes on and on. This rehearsal of it stops and starts about 4 times. But, the different way it sounds each time makes it well worth the 10 or 15 minutes it lasts.