Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-11-2004, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Dick Van Dyke

There's a reunion special airing on Tuesday. I doubt I'll be home to see it. I used to watch the show in syndication when I was little, and I liked the guy when he was in Mary Poppins. Anyone else?

- Jake
Old 05-11-2004, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Dick is great (man am I setting myself up with that one...).

Luckily, I have gotten to work with him twice ! He is a total pro, and funny as all get out. I just worked with him and Julie Andrews a few weeks ago on a thing for the Mary Poppins DVD anniversary release. It was a hoot. We had the original backdrop for our little set, and even got a hold of some of the original props for the shoot. Totally cool.

I will be watching the show tonight, as I was lucky enough to work with him and Mary awhile back on a thing for PBS. I watch them whenever I can. Can't say enough about either one of them and how great they are. I am rarely impressed by any on the young actors I work with, but the veterans - mostly all have been total class acts. Dick and Mary are at the top of the list !
Old 05-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky

Luckily, I have gotten to work with him twice ! He is a total pro, and funny as all get out. I just worked with him and Julie Andrews a few weeks ago on a thing for the Mary Poppins DVD anniversary release. It was a hoot. We had the original backdrop for our little set, and even got a hold of some of the original props for the shoot. Totally cool.

I will be watching the show tonight, as I was lucky enough to work with him and Mary awhile back on a thing for PBS. I watch them whenever I can. Can't say enough about either one of them and how great they are. I am rarely impressed by any on the young actors I work with, but the veterans - mostly all have been total class acts. Dick and Mary are at the top of the list !
I'm not touching that first sentence with a ten foot...never mind.

Cool that you got to work with them. What is it that you do? (Plastic surgery? )

- Jake
Old 05-11-2004, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I make sets pretty, Jake.

Ten foot.....
Old 05-11-2004, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Diagnosis Murder / van Dyke fan here
Old 05-11-2004, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Red face The reunion show

I adore the old Dick Van Dyke show. Loving it as I do, I should never have watched the reunion show tonight. Of course nothing can live up to the original. He was still himself, but Laura was way too "Mary" to feel right. That probably makes very little sense. lol. The writing was pretty bad--(to be kind)--and I hated to see them all modern, using their cell phones and all. Did anyone else watch it?

Last edited by Sorceress; 05-12-2004 at 07:49 AM..
Old 05-11-2004, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the old Dick Van Dyke show too. But I had no interest in seeing the reunion show tonight. Reunion shows are usually bad and then I end up bummed out about it.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just worked with him and Julie Andrews a few weeks ago on a thing for the Mary Poppins DVD anniversary release. It was a hoot. We had the original backdrop for our little set, and even got a hold of some of the original props for the shoot. Totally cool.

That makes me INCREDIBLY excited. Mary Poppins is my favorite movie. When will this be out? Late August, since that is when Mary Poppins originally premiered (on my birthday, to be specific )?

http://www.twitter.com/jtwill84
Old 05-12-2004, 02:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2003
That makes me INCREDIBLY excited. Mary Poppins is my favorite movie. When will this be out? Late August, since that is when Mary Poppins originally premiered (on my birthday, to be specific )?
I think the plan is for the release to coincide with the original release date.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I'm a huge fan of Julie Andrews! What's she like in the real world?

Pip
Old 05-12-2004, 03:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
but Laura was way to "Mary" to feel right.
Agree 100%. Rob must've divorced Laura, and married Mary. The original show is one of my all time favorites, but the writing on this reunion was lame.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:23 AM
Senior Ledgie

Didn't bother with the reunion show, but I did watch the reruns as a kid...I had an uncle who was a fan of Morey Amsterdam (his character's name escapes me at the moment) and he use to call me Laurie Annsterdam all the time (Ann being my middle name).

But I am VERY excited about the Mary Poppins DVD My son watched his video EVERY SINGLE DAY from age 3 to 4 and he LOVED Dick Van Dyke's character, Bert....He use to walk around with my little fireplace broom, a black jacket that I had...a black scarf and a black cap all day long doing "Step in Time" every chance he got.

Now he could care less, but I rediscovered the magic and beauty of Mary Poppins through his eyes when he was young and it's a sentimental favorite.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok I cannot WAIT to see this show... i COMPLETELY forgot to set my vcr to tape before i went to work tonight.... but my mom is fedexing me a copy....

i am like one of the biggest DVD show fans ever.. i have all of the episodes on tape... and when i was in jr high i wrote fan letters to all of the cast members who are still alive and they all sent me autographed photos back (except for Dick... never heard back from him) i have met Mary (yay mary!) and literally ran into Dick on my way to the restroom at a restaurant on my 19th bday... when i turned around and recognized who it was i was too freaked and stunned to say anything

i really hope this special isn't that bad... i agree that most of the time reunion specials are way lame... anyone remember the Mary and Rhoda special from 4 years ago? uh yeah... really lame... barely got through it...

did Larry Matthews (Mazzeo) play Ritchie in the special? what's he up to? from grown up pictures i have seen of him, he doesn't look one bit like he could be Rob and Laura's child... who else was in it? did they have other actors playing Jerry, Mel, and Buddy or were the characters written out since the original actors are dead? they would have had to be really really old if they were still around.... and is Rose Marie still wearing that godawful bow?
Old 05-12-2004, 07:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Leigh
did Larry Matthews (Mazzeo) play Ritchie in the special? what's he up to? from grown up pictures i have seen of him, he doesn't look one bit like he could be Rob and Laura's child... who else was in it? did they have other actors playing Jerry, Mel, and Buddy or were the characters written out since the original actors are dead? they would have had to be really really old if they were still around.... and is Rose Marie still wearing that godawful bow?
Yes, Ritchie was on for about two minutes at the beginning. He was just moving back into his parents' old house in New Rochelle. They'd left 30 years earlier to move to Manhattan. They explained that Jerry, Mel, and Buddy had all died. The premise of the show was that Alan Brady wanted Rob and Sally to write his eulogy, so they talked quite a bit about the deaths of those characters. It was very sad not to have Buddy around especially. The cutest is that Sally has married Herman Glimshire. I don't think she had the bow, though her hair is basically the same.

Now that I think about it in the light of day, I am glad I watched it. However, I am still upset that they dressed Mary(I mean Laura) like a 30 year old and had Millie look her real age. I think Laura should have looked a little more age-appropriate, even though her youth and innocence were always trademarks of the character.

Obviously I could talk about this all day. lol. I'd better go to work.

Last edited by Sorceress; 05-12-2004 at 08:02 AM..
Old 05-12-2004, 08:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

That's totally awesome!!! I've always loved both of them and it's nice to hear that they are nice people. Although, I've never gotten over the shock of seeing Julie in SOB.

I thought the show was okay last night, nothing great but it was very enjoyable and funny. I can't wait for Carol Burnett tonight, though! My fave van Dyke movie is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.