User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
What do you expect when you're cleaning a garden in the middle of the turnpike.

- Jake

...there are too many flowers...to cut down...
Old 05-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
Remember that Drew Barrymore movie "Irreconcilable Differences"?

- Jake

Yes I do
Old 05-10-2004, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you for the Mothers Day wishes. I have a beautiful 5 year old (who is putting on fake lipstick on me and brushing my hair right now)

My mother and I are pretty close. I am an only child. My mom is a parent who "broke the cycle" of mental abuse that she suffered as a child. Her mother and I DO NOT get along. (I think at times that woman is Satan herself...) I have lots of respect for my mother for breaking this cycle. She did the best she knew how, and I think she did a fine job. For Mothers Day this year, I scheduled and paid for her to have a one hour full body massage. She goes tomorrow, and I hope she thoroughly enjoys it. For me, she let me have the weekend to go to the Madison show, and bought me a bath set. (and the gift that Sara bought me) This was my first Mothers Day without my late husband, so that was kind of hard. But I had a wonderful day none the less....

God bless all you Ledgie Mothers out there. Hope you all had a wonderful day.

Maria
Old 05-10-2004, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default My Mom

My Mom is my best friend, I can tell her anything, we are really similar. She rides horses with me, listen to the same music, has a sarcastic sense of humor, is wonderfully artistic, mostly optimistic and just a great mom. She grew up in the 60s so her and my Dads (my dads is awsome too) parenting ideas were a bit odd, but hey it all worked out well. Most importantly my mom respects my life and my independence Sorry if all the sunshine and lite makes anyone a bit peeved but being and only child I just happen to get along great with both my parents.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998
Thank you for the Mothers Day wishes. I have a beautiful 5 year old (who is putting on fake lipstick on me and brushing my hair right now)

My mother and I are pretty close. I am an only child. My mom is a parent who "broke the cycle" of mental abuse that she suffered as a child. Her mother and I DO NOT get along. (I think at times that woman is Satan herself...) I have lots of respect for my mother for breaking this cycle. She did the best she knew how, and I think she did a fine job. For Mothers Day this year, I scheduled and paid for her to have a one hour full body massage. She goes tomorrow, and I hope she thoroughly enjoys it. For me, she let me have the weekend to go to the Madison show, and bought me a bath set. (and the gift that Sara bought me) This was my first Mothers Day without my late husband, so that was kind of hard. But I had a wonderful day none the less....

God bless all you Ledgie Mothers out there. Hope you all had a wonderful day.

Maria
You and your mom are in the same town?
Glad you made it to Madison & had a good Mother's Day.

- Jake
Old 05-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadegypsy
My Mom is my best friend, I can tell her anything, we are really similar. She rides horses with me, listen to the same music, has a sarcastic sense of humor, is wonderfully artistic, mostly optimistic and just a great mom. She grew up in the 60s so her and my Dads (my dads is awsome too) parenting ideas were a bit odd, but hey it all worked out well. Most importantly my mom respects my life and my independence Sorry if all the sunshine and lite makes anyone a bit peeved but being and only child I just happen to get along great with both my parents.
I'm not peeved. I'd love for you to elaborate on the '60s parenting ideas that worked.

- Jake
Old 05-16-2004, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Hippie Parents

Okay Jake you did ask so:
First my parents never said "no or don't" as far as drugs alcohol smoking etc went. Now my dad who did everything used to take me to the police booth at the fair point out each drug and tell me exactly what they did, and the results of each and how each was taken (from when I was 10 to when I was 13), to make sure I understood how my actions would affect me. I can tell you none of it sounded that wonderful, especially the not remembering things and seeing walls breath. As for drinking I was told to not get drunk with strangers since I could wake up in a strange place, and that no matter what to call home and no questions asked one of my parents would come pick me up. Of course there was also the "here try some of my drink", and I will say I find scotch, vodka and JD revolting. I rarely if ever drink and have never had the urge to get drunk, I find it more amusing to watch others. As for smoking I've got enough trouble with allergies.

As for the more positive stuff I was always allowed to watch whatever movies I wanted and listen to any type of music. I loved Madonna, Heart and Jefferson Airplane when I was little, picture a 5yr old singing "Magic Man" and "White Rabbit" and "Express Yourself." As for movies I loved Diehard, Bloodsport, Dirty Dancing etc. I also saw Married with Children and Melrose Place as a kid, loved both. I had no curfew (or as my dad said get home before 2am or I will think you are a robber and shoot you), and had a car at 17. I could basically do what I pleased, because of this I grew up having nothing to rebel against.

The only thing I had to do was get good grades, and as I understood this was more to my benefit then theirs, so I automatically did this. I was also always treated as an adult member of the family, I always got asked my opinions on all major decisions, I may not have won the argument, but at least I got to have it.

So I am now a happy young adult who loves both her parents, loves spending time with them, loves their music and is taking them both to see Madonna, and last year took both to see FM.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadegypsy
Okay Jake you did ask so:
First my parents never said "no or don't" as far as drugs alcohol smoking etc went. Now my dad who did everything used to take me to the police booth at the fair point out each drug and tell me exactly what they did, and the results of each and how each was taken (from when I was 10 to when I was 13), to make sure I understood how my actions would affect me. I can tell you none of it sounded that wonderful, especially the not remembering things and seeing walls breath. As for drinking I was told to not get drunk with strangers since I could wake up in a strange place, and that no matter what to call home and no questions asked one of my parents would come pick me up. Of course there was also the "here try some of my drink", and I will say I find scotch, vodka and JD revolting. I rarely if ever drink and have never had the urge to get drunk, I find it more amusing to watch others. As for smoking I've got enough trouble with allergies.

As for the more positive stuff I was always allowed to watch whatever movies I wanted and listen to any type of music. I loved Madonna, Heart and Jefferson Airplane when I was little, picture a 5yr old singing "Magic Man" and "White Rabbit" and "Express Yourself." As for movies I loved Diehard, Bloodsport, Dirty Dancing etc. I also saw Married with Children and Melrose Place as a kid, loved both. I had no curfew (or as my dad said get home before 2am or I will think you are a robber and shoot you), and had a car at 17. I could basically do what I pleased, because of this I grew up having nothing to rebel against.

The only thing I had to do was get good grades, and as I understood this was more to my benefit then theirs, so I automatically did this. I was also always treated as an adult member of the family, I always got asked my opinions on all major decisions, I may not have won the argument, but at least I got to have it.

So I am now a happy young adult who loves both her parents, loves spending time with them, loves their music and is taking them both to see Madonna, and last year took both to see FM.
I'm glad these choices worked so well for you & the three of you remain close.

- Jake
Old 05-16-2004, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Jake, most ppl tell me my parents were nuts for raising me like this, or they just shake their head and look at me like i'm telling stories, as if a kid couldn't possibly grow up to be a decent human being with lots of disciplin and punishment. The of course there are those that are just waiting for me to get in trouble, but then again you can't please eveyone can you?