Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default A Little Miracle

I thought I would share a story that was completely unexpected, and absolutely lit up my life today.

Last week, one of my birds, Wilbur, an Umbrella Cockatoo, passed away. I am still not sure why - still awaiting results from the vet. Needless to say, I was devastated. I'd had him for four years of his long life, and it was a tremendous loss. Even worse, three months ago, my first bird, Fritha, also passed away. I'd had her for ten years, and like Wilbur, her true age was uncertain. She lived a long life for a Lovebird, and was a treasured part of my little family. Thankfully, I still have my little Parrotlet, Banjo.

Anyway, today something wonderful happened.

My best buddy came over today to give me something. Something he had forgotten he had.

I opened up a package that was a dvd. I put it in the dvd player - and I was stunned.

It was a five minute film of Wilbur, Fritha and Banjo - made last November. Wilbur is climbing on his cage, grumbling and talking and there is even footage of Fritha chewing on paper (she was an accomplished shredder of all things paper, cardboard and wicker - it was her favorite activity).

He had done a test with his digital camera, and used the film function to see if it worked. The only reason he found it is he took out the camera to get it ready for a trip. It was the only thing on the tape. I had forgotten completely about it too. It's a frigging miracle. It will be one of my most precious possesions. I had no film of them. Only digital pictures. Banjo, in the back room of the house, heard the tape and his friends making noises, and went absolutely berserk, peeping and tweeting like crazy.

Sometimes, life truly gives us just what we need to get through.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OMG - I almost started crying when I read that. I received a similar gift a few months after I put my beloved Scottie Mimosa a/k/a Mimi the Sheep down. I was devastated. Then, not only was she in the video, but the video was on national television and there she was winking at me. I never felt better. So, I am THRILLED for you. Also, I have to give you kudos for taking a bird of uncertain age into your fold. That is so great of you. People do not realize these birds often outlive their owners and then have nowhere to go. I have seen that situation drive them mad and made them self-mutilate. In fact, a friend of mine and the breeder of my dogs is taking care of a self-mutilated bird who literally went mad after her owner of 60 years died and no one wanted her - she just sat on a perch all day long with little to no care. It is heartbreaking to see it. But, the bird after like three years calmed down and things are better, which is a good thing. Sadly, her feathers on ber breast and wings will not grow back. So, my hat is off to you my friend for providing a great home for such magnificent animals!!!!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 05-12-2004 at 08:43 PM..
Old 05-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

RIP, Fritha and Wilbur.
Peace, Sparky.

- Jake
Old 05-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That is a sweet story...but I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your birds...it's horrible to lose a pet..because they so often become a part of your family...
Old 05-13-2004, 02:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
RIP, Fritha and Wilbur.
Peace, Sparky.

- Jake
Thanks Jake.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
OMG - I almost started crying when I read that. I received a similar gift a few months after I put my beloved Scottie Mimosa a/k/a Mimi the Sheep down. I was devastated. Then, not only was she in the video, but the video was on national television and there she was winking at me. I never felt better. So, I am THRILLED for you. Also, I have to give you kudos for taking a bird of uncertain age into your fold. That is so great of you. People do not realize these birds often outlive their owners and then have nowhere to go. I have seen that situation drive them mad and made them self-mutilate. In fact, a friend of mine and the breeder of my dogs is taking care of a self-mutilated bird who literally went mad after her owner of 60 years died and no one wanted her - she just sat on a perch all day long with little to no care. It is heartbreaking to see it. But, the bird after like three years calmed down and things are better, which is a good thing. Sadly, her feathers on ber breast and wings will not grow back. So, my hat is off to you my friend for providing a great home for such magnificent animals!!!!!!!!
It is great that you got that gift of the video too. I was really so shocked. In the middle of such sadness, it was just awe-inspiring to see the birds alive again. I can't even express the joy I felt.

That poor bird your friend is taking care of....I am happy to hear that the bird is at least perked up again. At least the bird is getting the love and attention she needs to stay in our world.
Wilbur had been abandoned more than once, and I am happy that he shared a nice period of time with me and my other feathered friends, and that he knew he was safe and loved.