Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Oh, man.

GEORGE W. BUSH WAS SELECTED AS PRESIDENT.
oh, sorry.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 03-24-2005, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There's a special on A&E tonight about Schiavo, in case anyone is interested.

Old 03-24-2005, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There's a special on A&E tonight about Schiavo, in case anyone is interested.
Yes I am, thank you.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerchic
Yes I am, thank you.
It's on 8PM, I believe. I just watched City Confidential about the murder of an Ethiopian student in Portland, Oregon by neo-Nazi's in '88 and I pretty much lost my dinner. It's hard to believe that such hatred exists, to be honest. You see it on TV, but if you've never experienced or seen it in real life, it's quite something. Anyway, sorry, but I just found it incredibly depressing and shocking.

Old 03-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, man.

GEORGE W. BUSH WAS SELECTED AS PRESIDENT.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just watched City Confidential about the murder of an Ethiopian student in Portland, Oregon by neo-Nazi's in '88 and I pretty much lost my dinner. It's hard to believe that such hatred exists, to be honest. You see it on TV, but if you've never experienced or seen it in real life, it's quite something. Anyway, sorry, but I just found it incredibly depressing and shocking.
I saw the same episode earlier today. I agree, it was very sad and shocking. Did you see the footage of the rally with the little boy in the crowd screaming "KKK!"?

Old 03-24-2005, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
OK what happened that day.
That was the day they decided W could be president.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjupiter678
I saw the same episode earlier today. I agree, it was very sad and shocking. Did you see the footage of the rally with the little boy in the crowd screaming "KKK!"?
Ugh, I was crying. And that "Sideshow Bob" dude that they interviewed on the street infuriated me. "These people are getting the word out, I think it's a good thing." How sick and depraved. It's when I see stuff like that show that it makes me wonder what is so great about the human race.

Old 03-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting:

Michael Schiavo's brother just said on Countdown that the Schindlers not only approved of Michael seeing other women after Terri became ill, they persuaded him to do so.

At one point, Mr. Schindler noticed that Michael was really upset about Terri and her condition, and mentioned to his brother that "Michael really needs to go get laid." And, Keith Olbermann referenced at 93 (or so) deposition where Mr. Schindler is on record saying he approved of Michael's relationship with his new girlfriend (and now common-law wife that all the fundies say negates him from being Terri's legal spouse and decision-making guardian).
Old 03-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Delay says Jesus wouldn't have wanted separation of church and state

Americans United Blasts Congressional Leaders' Promise To Push Religious Right Agenda
Wednesday, March 23, 2005

In Closed-Door Briefings, Frist, DeLay Cement Ties With Religious Right On Schiavo Case, Judges, Abortion, Marriage, Church Politicking, Ethics Complaints

Top congressional leaders have promised to push the Religious Right agenda on judicial nominations, church politicking, abortion, marriage and the Terri Schiavo case, according to Americans United for Separation of Church and State.

Americans United today released audiotapes of closed-door addresses by Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist and House Majority Leader Tom DeLay to a Family Research Council (FRC) gathering March 17-18 at Washington, D.C.'s Willard Hotel. The pair talked about a range of political issues, using the Schiavo case as a springboard.

"Religious Right leaders are determined to run all of our lives, from the moment of conception through the end of life," said the Rev. Barry W. Lynn, Americans United executive director. "And top congressional leaders are conspiring behind closed doors in Washington to help them do it. It's appalling.

"Frist and DeLay have wrapped sanctimonious language around political posturing," said Lynn. "They are using Mrs. Schiavo's personal tragedy in Florida to burnish their credentials with an increasingly powerful component of the Republican Party. It's a sad, cynical political ploy."

Mrs. Schiavo, a Florida woman, has been in a persistent vegetative state for 15 years. Her husband, Michael Schiavo, has fought a long legal battle to remove her feeding tube. Religious Right forces and their allies in Congress and Florida government have repeatedly tried to intervene in the situation, despite medical advice and court decisions that support Mr. Schiavo.

During the FRC meeting, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) and House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Texas) assured attendees that they would do what it takes to keep Schiavo connected to a feeding tube and also would exert great power to push a whole host of issues central to the Religious Right's agenda.

DeLay urged the gathering to contact lawmakers in both chambers to support legislation that would allow churches to become much more involved in partisan politicking. The Texas Republican blasted current federal tax law, which bars both secular and religious nonprofit groups from endorsing political candidates.

"It forces Christians back into the church and that's what is going on," DeLay claimed. "That's not what Christ asked us to do. We have to fight back."
Beyond swearing allegiance to the Religious Right's agenda, DeLay, who has faced increased attention for alleged ethics violations, also bemoaned "personal attacks" against him and other conservative leaders and said the Schiavo case would highlight those attacks.

"One thing that God has brought to us is Terri Schiavo, to help elevate the visibility of what is going on in America," DeLay told the crowd.

"This is exactly the issue that is going on in America, of attacks against the conservative movement, against me and against many others," DeLay said. He
complained that "the other side" was leading the attack, with a goal "to defeat the conservative movement."

According to DeLay, a "whole syndicate" of "do-gooder" forces are arrayed against him in "a huge nationwide concerted effort to destroy everything we believe in."

FRC President Tony Perkins assured DeLay of the group's support and asked audience members to contact Republican lawmakers and demand that they back the House majority leader.

Americans United's Lynn said, "It is dishonorable for Rep. DeLay to use the Schiavo case and cloak himself in Christian piety in order to evade accountability on ethics complaints."

Frist also told the FRC attendees that he was dedicated to issues dear to their hearts.

"You stand up for our families, our children, you never back down," Frist told the gathering via speakerphone. "That's why we are winning these larger battles today. Together we are leading our nation forward. We have a president, a House of Representatives, a Senate that shares our values and the American people are on our side.

"In this Congress we are going to continue to work on the issues that are important to you, to me and above all, America's future," Frist continued.

Those issues include, Frist maintained, the confirmation of "good judges," protecting the "sanctity of marriage" and protecting "the unborn." He said, "I'm also committed to ending the [Senate Democratic] minority's filibuster [on judges] and restoring this 220 years or more of Senate tradition and history."

Frist was particularly adamant about fighting for a Federal Marriage Amendment, saying that, "We will take action to preserve and protect and defend the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman."

Americans United's Lynn said the comments by DeLay and Frist prove that Congress is beholden to the Religious Right's narrow vision for America.

"I find it appalling that top leaders of Congress are using the Schiavo tragedy to nurture their Religious Right base," Lynn said. "I am confident that the American people do not want their personal lives subjected to interference from Congress and their Religious Right allies."

http://www.au.org/site/News2?JServSe...s_iv_ctrl=1241
Old 03-25-2005, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs down Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
"It forces Christians back into the church and that's what is going on," DeLay claimed. "That's not what Christ asked us to do. We have to fight back."
I'm so glad we have people to speak on behalf of Christ on governmental issues.

You don't FORCE a Christian back in church.

Will people just stay out of this?! This is between her husband and parents. Sheebus. I don't see how her parents are even involved in any decision making as she is over 18 AND married. Good gravy.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847

Will people just stay out of this?! This is between her husband and parents. Sheebus. I don't see how her parents are even involved in any decision making as she is over 18 AND married. Good gravy.

Old 03-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847

It's re-goddam-diculous. If he wants Christians in politics passing laws according to church doctrine then these "ministers" would need to pay taxes! But that's another issue. Delay is just blabbering on about this to distract people from what's really going on. There is no conspiracy against conservatives, there is a movement to keep the separation of church and state that we thought we already had. Delay is under fire for illegal election activities so he'll say anything to try to get the spotlight off of him. Especially things that will line his pockets with more contributions in the future.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Schindlers funded by right to life groups

Blog countdown

interesting excerpt:
Glenn McGee is the director of the New York Institute For Bioethics, and editor-in-chief of The American Journal Of Bioethics.

{Transcript}
OLBERMANN: Do you know where this money is coming from? The Schindlers can't possibly have afforded this on their own, can they?

MCGEE: Well, Keith, my research group at Albany Medical College has been looking for the past couple of days into the question you just raised. Namely, if there were 30,000 persistent vegetative state patients around the country, how is it that this one case attracted so much attention and so much litigation?

And what we found is that on both sides of the aisle on this set of legal actions, there's been an enormous amount of money. Some of it's actually been money to support lawyers but most of it has been gifts from large law firms and lobbyists to enable multitasking firms, the kind of
thing we saw in the O.J. trial, on behalf, mostly, of the Schindlers.

OLBERMANN: Do you know where that money came from? Do you know how much it amounted to?

MCGEE: Well, we don't know exactly how much it amounted to. Because as I said most of is it what you would call in kind contribution by lawyers who, in essence, agree with the cause.

So for example, among the representatives of Michael Schiavo's side, the American Civil Liberties Union most recently, and a number of different lawyers who work for firms that specialize in this sort of thing.

But more interesting, the Schindlers have enlisted legal assistance that's amounted to millions of dollars at this point, mostly from national right to life associated groups.

OLBERMANN: Millions of dollars.

MCGEE: At least $20,000 for each filing. And on top of that, there's procedural funding and funding for each and every action that moves up through the system.

You have to remember, Keith, when a case gets to the 11th District Court, it's moved through at least 25 different judges. And appellate lawyers have examined constitutionality questions in teams of 20 and 30. Many of these lawyers billing as much as $500 or $600 an hour.

file that under "Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm..........."
Old 03-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl
Blog countdown

interesting excerpt:
Glenn McGee is the director of the New York Institute For Bioethics, and editor-in-chief of The American Journal Of Bioethics.

{Transcript}
OLBERMANN: Do you know where this money is coming from? The Schindlers can't possibly have afforded this on their own, can they?

MCGEE: Well, Keith, my research group at Albany Medical College has been looking for the past couple of days into the question you just raised. Namely, if there were 30,000 persistent vegetative state patients around the country, how is it that this one case attracted so much attention and so much litigation?

And what we found is that on both sides of the aisle on this set of legal actions, there's been an enormous amount of money. Some of it's actually been money to support lawyers but most of it has been gifts from large law firms and lobbyists to enable multitasking firms, the kind of
thing we saw in the O.J. trial, on behalf, mostly, of the Schindlers.

OLBERMANN: Do you know where that money came from? Do you know how much it amounted to?

MCGEE: Well, we don't know exactly how much it amounted to. Because as I said most of is it what you would call in kind contribution by lawyers who, in essence, agree with the cause.

So for example, among the representatives of Michael Schiavo's side, the American Civil Liberties Union most recently, and a number of different lawyers who work for firms that specialize in this sort of thing.

But more interesting, the Schindlers have enlisted legal assistance that's amounted to millions of dollars at this point, mostly from national right to life associated groups.

OLBERMANN: Millions of dollars.

MCGEE: At least $20,000 for each filing. And on top of that, there's procedural funding and funding for each and every action that moves up through the system.

You have to remember, Keith, when a case gets to the 11th District Court, it's moved through at least 25 different judges. And appellate lawyers have examined constitutionality questions in teams of 20 and 30. Many of these lawyers billing as much as $500 or $600 an hour.

file that under "Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm..........."
I'm glad someone asked this question because I have been wondering this myself! Thanks for posting. I <3 Keith Olbermann.