The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What shall we do without a Stevie Nicks record? - Has Anyone Ever?
By admin
11 Responses for "What shall we do without a Stevie Nicks record?" swp9 January 16th, 2010 at 3:59 pm 1. I can describe your tribute to Stevie Nicks in one word, – BEAUTIFUL !!!! collegeri January 16th, 2010 at 4:04 pm 2 ...
Has Anyone Ever? - http://www.hasanyoneever.com/
Old 01-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I don't know what this is supposed to mean?

Edward Norton Shares Insight On Making Obama Film | HairBoutique ...
By Karen Marie Shelton
He's sort of the Stevie Nicks of sharks.” He pointed out “there are so few sharks in that area because they have been so fished out of the water for shark fin soup and shark fins. It's horrendous.” He also discussed his work on the film ...
HairBoutique.com Blog - http://blogs.hairboutique.com/
Old 01-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Tuesday, January 19, 2010
“Insider” 1985: The Live Recording I Can’t Do Without

Growing up, I think I had a negative view of duets. Not that I gave them much thought, but something about them harkened visions of Sonny and Cher, Donny and Marie, the Carpenters, or other saccharine-sweet musical duos. Duets were something that variety show acts did, maybe country singers (Kenny and Dolly), but not rock and rollers. Then I heard the live recording of “Insider” from Tom Petty’s Pack Up the Plantation album, featuring Stevie Nicks; it not only changed my view of how two voices can come together and compliment one another so perfectly, it became one of my all-time favorite live recordings.

Stevie has often said in interviews that one of her great joys in making music is singing with other people and trying to replicate Everly Brothers-type harmonies. Outside of her work with Fleetwood Mac, she has collaborated with many artists in duets or singing background harmonies. Have you ever heard John Stewart’s “Gold” or Walter Egan’s “Magnet and Steel”? Both have awesome Stevie background vocals. Tom Petty does not share the microphone as often, but he also is capable of singing a tight harmony vocal. Among the superpowers that made up the Traveling Wilburys, his voice is often most prominent in many of the choruses of Wilburys song. Of all the people Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks have sung with separately, they most frequently have collaborated with one another. It is interesting that two unusual, unconventional voices can come together so beautifully.

I have listened to this live recording of “Insider” hundreds of times over the years. The opening notes of the song evoke the same involuntary reaction in me every time – my eyes close and I inhale deeply - as if I am preparing myself for the flood of emotion the song will bring. Then come the goosebumps when, several seconds into the song, you can hear a surge of applause from the audience as Stevie joins Tom on stage.

Tom originally wrote “Insider” for Stevie to record for a solo album, but then decided he did not want to give it up to her. It is the most beautifully bitter song he’s written; it’s about heartache, about being left behind by someone because you didn’t measure up. The kind of insecurity and inadequacy one feels from being on the losing end of a breakup is so evident in Tom and Stevie’s voices here. Stevie’s vocal is especially heartbreaking. This live version reaches a level of emotion that was not captured in the studio recording of the song. What I would give to have video of this performance . . . but for now, I just have the audio.

http://audiozealot.blogspot.com/2010...i-cant-do.html
Old 01-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wednesday, January 20, 2010
I hate to bother you again, Stevie Nicks...

It's about Landslide. I know everybody loves this song--especially the ladies--and I don't mean to be petty, it's just... I've spent a fair amount of time in the mountains. I've looked at a lot of snow, but I have yet to see my reflection. Shadow? Certainly. Reflection? No. I read that you wrote this song in Aspen, but I've looked at Aspen snow too. Nothing. Tell me, Stevie Nicks, where does one find reflective snow?

Also, minor point and I hate to quibble, but you say you saw your reflection "in the snow covered hills till a landslide brought it down". If the hills are snow covered, wouldn't it be an avalanche rather than a landslide that brought it (your reflection) down?

Also, still waiting on that Edge of Seventeen answer. Thanks, Stevie. Look forward to hearing from you soon!

http://rockmocker.blogspot.com/2010/...vie-nicks.html
Old 01-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

my own personal style varies. i am rather influenced by current trends, as far as what the big designers are doing. but my basic sense is very nostalgic. i spend a lot of time in thrift stores. i am always drawn to interesting, unique pieces that use a lot of fabric, creatively. draping is an art, as far as i'm concerned. fabric and texture is equally as important as cut and color to me. i'm obsessed with flowing, ballerina like rayon and silk in bold, solid colors, layered at different lengths. this year i spent some time in new mexico and realized how deeply ingrained stevie nicks is in my psyche. as a little girl i would sit and stare at my mother's copy of "bella donna" for hours. i thought she was the most beautiful woman i had ever seen. i wanted to BE her.

everywhere i went in new mexico i saw stevie nicks. gypsy hemed, big skirt with delicate top numbers, and shawls. i have never been able to pass those up, and in new mexico it was like i'd landed in stevie nicks fashion heaven. my collection grew, beyond my means, but as ever, i couldn't resist. i am endlessly buying suede, pirate cuffed boots in various heights and heels and colors. this fall while in new mexico i found myself buying everything i could find in bright, orangey red shades. tops and dresses and shoes, that i would pair with white ponchos and sweaters. i recently turned on vh1 classic to see a video of a live performance by fleetwood mac of the song "sara" from 1980. stevie nicks was completely draped in a long, flowing, silky rayon shawl that same shade of bright, orangey red. under the shawl was a white, gypsy hemmed dress with white suede boots.

http://ritualpresence.blogspot.com/2...n-fashion.html
Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Adult Arts Club » Blog Archive » The Re-Groove: Youth
By Winston
Youth: Personally my favorite edit would have to either be my Stevie Nicks re-edit (which is kind of technically a remix I guess because I only used the vocals) or my take on Arthur Russell's How We Walk on the Moon, which happened to ...
Adult Arts Club - http://adultartsclub.com/
Old 01-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The sped up parts are very funny and cute

YouTube - Stand Back Live Stevie Nicks With Fleetwood Mac
i worked REEEEEAAAAALLLLLY HARD ON THIS VIDEO! i realy did try to make it fast and upbeat i put clips and pics together prince kinda wrote a bit of this ...
Old 01-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Jan. 22, 2010

The life of comedian Kathleen Madigan is bizarre enough to be turned into an HBO comedy co-starring her friends Lewis Black, Carrot Top, Ron White, Dr. Phil and Larry the Cable Guy.

So HBO, consider the following story lines from my interview with her.

Madigan, 44, and her successful comedian friends commiserate about their low self-esteem after performing secretive, private gigs for "craploads of money."

"This weekend," Madigan tells me, "I had a great corporate gig in Hawaii. I had three days off and then I did a show for Mercedes, and they were lovely, and the whole thing was first class."

But in two weeks, she'll be getting paid to tell jokes at a rich woman's birthday party, because Madigan is the woman's favorite comedian.

"Just when you think you're cool and, 'Hey, I sold out this theater of 2,000 people ...' the next thing you know I'm in somebody's backyard in Phoenix with kids jumping on a trampoline behind me, and I'm some lady's birthday present.

"You're no better than the court jester," she jokes.

She's grateful for the fans and gigs. Backyard parties are just a little challenging:

"You still have the possibility of eating it" onstage. "It's enough to keep you grounded and normal."

She talks about that weirdness with her good friend and ex-lover, comedian Lewis Black, who experiences the same thing.

"Lew said yes to some guy's 80th birthday party in Florida somewhere, and it's 40 80- to 100-year-olds in a giant ballroom. And Lew's this guy's birthday present."

Even though Madigan knows how surreal it is to play fans' birthday parties, she would hire Stevie Nicks to sing at her own birthday.
"I really like Stevie Nicks," she says. "I'd say, 'Look, I know this probably really feels like it's gonna suck, and it will for you, but it's my birthday, and here's 150 grand, please sing "Landslide" twice.' "

http://www.lvrj.com/neon/corporate-p...-82352487.html
Old 01-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Ledgie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7blzImYvGqA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kathleen madigan and stevie nicks.jpg (62.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

A native Kansan, Sarah Buxton moved to Nashville after high school. "I grew up just enjoying music. I didn't grow up thinking I was going to do this with my life," she says, citing Stevie Nicks and Patty Loveless among her influences.

It was Nicks' music that inspired Buxton to write songs. "I remember listening to her album and realizing, 'She's writing letters about her life and putting melodies behind it. I can do that.'" Now Buxton calls songwriting "an obsession. The more I write, the more I want to write," she says. "When I started, I wrote maybe 10 songs a year; now I write hundreds."

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60M0CR20100123
Old 01-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

No.9 - Stevie Nicks

Due to the sexual awakening of the late ’60s, Stevie Nicks appeared naked on her first album cover, Buckingham Nicks. While the album wasn’t a commercial success, it made her a new sex symbol. In 1974, she joined Fleetwood Mac and immediately wrote two of their most popular songs, “Rhiannon” and “Landslide.” Her hauntingly beautiful singing voice and velvet platform shoes made even macho guys like the “sissy band.”

For Father’s Day put Rumours on the turntable and kick back some cold ones.

http://www.celebritywatchnow.com/201...-father-loved/
Old 01-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When you were young the answers came easy, didn’t they? If asked the rote question by some well-meaning, shiny new-coin dandling relative —O boy! Did you have some answers! You were going to be drawing comics, or have a bunch of babies, or race Hot Wheels, or be Stevie Nicks and eat tempeh, or go live in the woods with the grizzlies —and besides, you’d also be a millionaire, so, like, duh…

It was once so simple to say what it was you saw for yourself. But, in retrospect, from your first W-2, to your current 401k, did you ever find yourself alone in the company lunchroom sniffing your new business card? Or filing away expense receipts with a secret smile, musing: This is My Brilliant Career!

But why not? Wasn’t that part of the whole plan? Is everyone confused, or is it just you? Ultimately, like a Sartre character who can’t NOT tell his story, because to tell is to live: we all have to sum it up. The good and the bad. The memorable and the insufferable. The supposed avocations and the unemployed vacations.

http://pinkpearlpress.blogspot.com/2...rk-volume.html
Old 01-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

July 19, 1969 Gym, Monterey Peninsula College, Monterey Santana/Sanpaku/Fritz
Once again, San Paku opened for a Millard client. I'm not certain if the opening act was the Menlo Park band called Fritz, featuring bassist Lindsay Buckingham and singer Stephanie (Stevie) Nicks.

The Monterey Peninsula College gym was a modest sized venue, which probably held about 2000 in a festival seating type arrangement.

http://rockprosopography101.blogspot...8-69-work.html
Old 01-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sunday, January 24, 2010
MIDDLE-AGED BUT MESMERISING: NICK CAVE AT FESTIVAL HALL

‘Middle-aged but mesmerising’ read the title of the review in the local paper of Nick Cave’s show in Adelaide. Grimshaw was fascinated. He and Sally had bought tickets to the Festival Hall show.

As the venue filled up Grimshaw’s found himself, to his amazement, sat next to two women with their teenage daughters. One was reminiscing about how stoned Stevie Nicks had been when they saw her show years ago.

When the Bad Seeds finally came onto the stage the two women sat next to Grimshaw proceeded to sing along. At the end of the first song, some twenty-somethings sitting in the row in front turned around and said “At least you could sing in tune.” The show lurched along, stopping and starting until Cave finally said to the audience, “I find playing in Melbourne very hard to do.”

http://thisgreatmelancholy.blogspot....nick-cave.html
Old 01-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From a Pop Matters interview with Dry Spells on their album Too Soon For Flowers

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/11...he-dry-spells/

The album ends with a cover of Fleetwood Mac’s “Rhiannon”. Why did you decide to end with a cover, and why that song?

Ezra from Citay, who drummed for us for awhile, was very influential in the way we arranged and recorded that song. We ended with “Rhiannon” thinking of it as more of a bonus track rather than part of the album. While there is no particular personal meaning associated with the song, we all love Fleetwood Mac and Tahlia and April in particular do try to channel the spirit of Stevie Nicks through their singing.