User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
That's hilarious. The Landslide veer is now a recognizable thing!

But I ... obviously, I'd be happy if the album was a success, but I don't want them to focus on that. I don't want the unrealistic expectations of success with SN to color any of their decisions. The album won't sell. I just want it to get critical acclaim.

Michele

I couldn't care less how many copies it sells- and nor should they really. That said, I don't think a decent chart placing is out of the question. They should definitely hope for a top 5 album. In fact, I don't think a number 1 album is out of the question. It might only chart highly for one week if they could create the right buzz I could definitely see it getting enough advance sales to get a good initial placing.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:34 PM

I laughed so hard when she brought up Landslide. It gave me a hunch that she might have been a little miffed Christine's song was chosen for the inauguration.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I couldn't care less how many copies it sells- and nor should they really. That said, I don't think a decent chart placing is out of the question. They should definitely hope for a top 5 album. In fact, I don't think a number 1 album is out of the question. It might only chart highly for one week if they could create the right buzz I could definitely see it getting enough advance sales to get a good initial placing.
while there were one-off flukes of legendary bands and artists charting high with new music, from what i've seen overall trend seems to be exactly the opposite - they make tons of money on overpriced tours that are #1 tours of the years when they are out on the road, but their new music albums are just to feed their creative soul and prove to themselves and others they are still artistically relevant. for example, while coming out with some fanfare, don't think most recent Rolling Stones album sold much or charted very high. or U2's.

here and there you have new album reaching #1 (like Bowie's did), but that is generally a result of either excellent PR or a set of other circumstances - or both. we know that Mac has one of the most crappy PR support systems out there, so the chances of a FM album being a commercial success seem low to none.

LB is well aware of that and doesn't expect it. Mick has also said in some interviews he doesn't expect their new album would sell. so commercial aspects of an album are almost non-existent, and while some fans seem to be hung up on those, i don't think the band is.

what i think the band is more worried about is the perception of reunion-breakup-reunion pattern or something like that (goes back to crappy PR!). which has been sown into the very fabric of FM so that's also something they should not be worried about.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-24-2016, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I laughed so hard when she brought up Landslide. It gave me a hunch that she might have been a little miffed Christine's song was chosen for the inauguration.
ya think?!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-24-2016, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
while there were one-off flukes of legendary bands and artists charting high with new music, from what i've seen overall trend seems to be exactly the opposite - they make tons of money on overpriced tours that are #1 tours of the years when they are out on the road, but their new music albums are just to feed their creative soul and prove to themselves and others they are still artistically relevant. for example, while coming out with some fanfare, don't think most recent Rolling Stones album sold much or charted very high. or U2's.

here and there you have new album reaching #1 (like Bowie's did), but that is generally a result of either excellent PR or a set of other circumstances - or both. we know that Mac has one of the most crappy PR support systems out there, so the chances of a FM album being a commercial success seem low to none.

LB is well aware of that and doesn't expect it. Mick has also said in some interviews he doesn't expect their new album would sell. so commercial aspects of an album are almost non-existent, and while some fans seem to be hung up on those, i don't think the band is.

what i think the band is more worried about is the perception of reunion-breakup-reunion pattern or something like that (goes back to crappy PR!). which has been sown into the very fabric of FM so that's also something they should not be worried about.
I don't think high chart placements from classic bands is a fluke. It takes maybe 80-90k to hit the top spot. That's why you have a lot of old bands or artists, like James Taylor and David Bowie among others (hell, even "Weird Al" Yankovic), getting their first number one album so late in their career. It's because the threshold is exponentially lower than it used to be. Fleetwood Mac would have a very good chance at it. A better chance than they had in 2003 even when they sold 200,000 and made it to #3. They wouldn't sell near that much but could still chart higher.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
I don't think high chart placements from classic bands is a fluke. It takes maybe 80-90k to hit the top spot. That's why you have a lot of old bands or artists, like James Taylor and David Bowie among others, getting their first number one album so late in their career. It's because the threshold is exponentially lower than it used to be. Fleetwood Mac would have a very good chance at it. A better chance than they had in 2003 even when they sold 200,000 and made it to #3. They wouldn't sell near that much but could still chart higher.
exactly what i'm saying - you need either a great PR or some extraordinary circumstances - or both.

David Bowie had/has a great PR and social media plan, plus he died a day after the album was released. however huge Bowie fan i am and i might argue to no end that Blackstar would hit #1 regardless, the fact remains - Blackstar and 10+ of his other albums were charting among first 50 at the time, and 5 i think within first 10.

i was pleasantly surprised James Taylor album charted that high - have no idea what circumstances were there? i still think it's a fluke till proven otherwise!

i agree that these days you don't have to sell many copies to reach high chart position.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
I don't think high chart placements from classic bands is a fluke. It takes maybe 80-90k to hit the top spot. That's why you have a lot of old bands or artists, like James Taylor and David Bowie among others (hell, even "Weird Al" Yankovic), getting their first number one album so late in their career. It's because the threshold is exponentially lower than it used to be. Fleetwood Mac would have a very good chance at it. A better chance than they had in 2003 even when they sold 200,000 and made it to #3. They wouldn't sell near that much but could still chart higher.
Yes, I agree. I dont really follow the US charts, so I dont know what its like over there. Here in the UK there seem to have been loads of older artists charting well in the last couple of years. Paul Simon etc. Hell, if Rick Astley can hit number one then I'm sure Fleetwood Mac in their anniversary year have a chance. Looking at the charts right now you have the likes of Barbara Streisand, Dolly Parton, Meatloaf, ELO and Bob Marley to name a few (though admittedly they're mostly compilations).
A lot would depend on when an album was released.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I dont really follow the US charts, so I dont know what its like over there. Here in the UK there seem to have been loads of older artists charting well in the last couple of years. Paul Simon etc. Hell, if Rick Astley can hit number one then I'm sure Fleetwood Mac in their anniversary year have a chance. Looking at the charts right now you have the likes of Barbara Streisand, Dolly Parton, Meatloaf, ELO and Bob Marley to name a few (though admittedly they're mostly compilations).
A lot would depend on when an album was released.
UK and European charts are much more flexible. US charts are - and have always been - much slower to move. has something to do with much larger market!

completely agree with the timing.

but - you all are still completely disregarding their lack of good marketing team!!

Old 09-25-2016, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
we know that Mac has one of the most crappy PR support systems out there
So true. Stevie takes initiative and does tons of talk shows etc. when she's promoting a new album... But still I think the best promotion in recent years was her stint on American Horror Story. I wish someone would tell the band about all these opportunities they're missing to expose themselves to more diverse audiences!