The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Need setlist tweaks for 2nd leg!!

Just sayin'.

When Lindsey first started doing lots of solo tours - you know, continuing to grow as an artist, on his own terms, etc etc - he was much more fast and loose with his setlists adding stuff randomly and changing stuff up on his Under The Skin tour. Yet now setlists seem set in stone! What happened? Getting old and too set up in one way??

I really really think they need to change up a few songs for the next leg! Be an artist and take risks guys!!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-11-2017, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

A very welcome thread. I was just thinking about this. The Mac are very ritualistic about their sets and I would be surprised to see any changes. But like you I would welcome a few changes. Christine is not a fan of her solo work. She never wanted to cut a solo album but in any event, her 1984 album is very good and holds up especially coming from the mid 80's. It also had 2 hits. I would love to see any Christine's solo work included in the set. I would not even care what song it was. Give me Got a hold on me, the smile I live for or Friend, or even Love will show us how. I would also like to see another Lindsey solo song. I would drop Little Lies but I believe there is reason this is in the set. It was the Mac's last big top ten hit. I would even drop You Make Loving fun for any other song. We hear it every Mac tour. I would also drop Never Going Back Again.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes on losing Little Lies.
It doesn't work well with this band. Sounds awkward and clunky.

Add Brown Eyes and World Turning.
Lose Wish You Were Here.

You Make Loving Fun was really great in LA. I think they should keep it in.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd welcome a few changes and a dusting off of some of the treasures. However, they're so stuck in their ways that I'm not optimistic. I know they will never, but I'm one for Spare Me a Little, WATL or such.

I don't know if it's age, stubbornness (gotta play the hits) or the fact that they feel they have to include those awful backing tracks, but I wish they'd realise how talented they are and mix it up. Their enthusiasm is at a peak and I'd love some musical spontaneity. Or, are they so insecure / nervous that change isn't possible?

At least we've got Hold Me and WYWH, both of which I enjoyed, and I'm thrilled they finally got over the 'Oh Me doesn't work' mindset. I'd enjoy World Turning but am happy with TFG.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Carnival Begin/So Afraid Medley/Mash Up

I would prefer Carnival Begin in lieu of I'm So Afraid. I thought a "mash up" of the two songs would be great, but LB would never violate the purity of single songs. I would like to see/hear Save Me a Place and Isn't it Midnight. While Game of Pretend has grown on me, it's a pretty weak closer (doesn't have the kind of iconic status as Songbird - but I prefer a more upbeat closer for the encore).
Old 08-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
Yes on losing Little Lies.
It doesn't work well with this band. Sounds awkward and clunky.

Add Brown Eyes and World Turning.
Lose Wish You Were Here.

You Make Loving Fun was really great in LA. I think they should keep it in.
I love Brown Eyes! But many people have pointed out how much alike Too Far Gone sounds like World Turning.

I also think Christine's presence is why they don't adjust their set.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Drop "Shut Us Down." It's a mis-step to include a LB deep cut without something equivalent from Christine. I'd love to have "Spare Me a Little" or "Love Will Show Us How" in that slot.

Add both "Carnival Begin" and "On with the Show." They are two of the best songs on the BuckVie album and both relate to the personal histories that led to the BuckVie project. They could drop "Feel About You" and maybe "Lay Down For Free."

Keep "Game of Pretend" as the closer. It is such a beautiful song, and it makes such a strong statement that this is NOT Fleetwood Mac. However, I'd like to see Chris stop apologizing for playing it instead of "Songbird."

I liked "Little Lies" when I heard it in Boston (I disagree with fans who say it doesn't work with this configuration), but it's been played at so many FM concerts, it would be great to replace it with "Isn't It Midnight."
Old 08-11-2017, 04:24 PM
Senior Ledgie

My votes -
1. Keep "Little Lies". I think its inclusion is also a statement - an important one. It works.
2. Add the acoustic version of "Friend". I think it would work very well with them alone.
3. Drop "I'm So Afraid". It's overdone. Huge Bonus if he would also drop "Tusk". There are better choices.
4. Add a Christine song earlier in the show. Again, there are so many choices between Fleetwood Mac and solo career. "So Excited", "Got a Hold On Me", etc.
5. Yes to the suggestion for "Isn't It Midnight".
Old 08-12-2017, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine 1984 solo song would be cool. Only Over You would be cool. They should drop Little Lies for Isn't It Midnight, especially since Lindsey does backup vocals on that song. Everywhere is perfect for an encore on this tour.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I see Lindsey controlling this set. He is being his unconventional self. Its against the grain to open with an acoustic set. Most bands open with a rocker or a hit song. Its very unconventional to open with 3 acoustic songs. I am not complaining though. He just feels the small theater is the perfect opportunity to do so.
I just think this is such a once in a lifetime tour that I want to hear some of their solo songs because they will never be heard live ever again. Isn't it midnight would be DA BOMB!
Old 08-12-2017, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

agree with adding another Christine song to the opening and dropping SUD.

I don't mind Little Lies.

But I would LOVE to hear Isn't It Midnight and he could get another screaming solo out of it.

I don't think her voice could handle those high notes on Only Over You......
Old 08-12-2017, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would definitely tweak the set a bit if it were up to me (and it's clearly not lol). I am not a fan of the acoustic set to open, in particular with three songs from Lindsey and only one from Chris. If he's wanting to make a statement, I'd rather they open with a four-spot from the new album which is a strong middle finger to the norm of the classic rock circuit setlist. Sleeping Around the Corner/Feel About You/In My World/Too Far Gone would be in my 1-4 spots. Then do two acoustic songs (I don't even like Trouble, but he could keep that and then have Chris do the acoustic version of Friend which is a fantastic idea!). I would loosely follow the rest of the set as it is but maybe swap Little Lies for Isn't it Midnight or Tusk for something else. And anywhere that she could bring in Spare Me a Little would be incredible!

My other change would be the encore. I absolutely adore On With the Show and Carnival Begin and can totally see them being the first two songs of the encore. I would swap out Everywhere and close the show with Don't Stop and end on a high note.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

I don't think her voice could handle those high notes on Only Over You......
I too get the feeling that her high note days are gone.

I've always thought(for the last 15 years or so) that Stevie was just playing it safe, with not trying for the high notes... I now think that either Christine is afraid she won't get there if she tries, or just can't get there now.

Or maybe they're both just playing it safe?
Old 08-13-2017, 02:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm actually not a big fan of SUD, WYWH, or NGBA with this particular project. Those are better left to solo/Mac projects. Playing most of the new album is enough of a statement.

I'd drop the opening act, expand the set to 23 songs which would include the full album, most of the big hits, and a couple of standards, and I'd do the full band version of Trouble.

On With The Show
Too Far Gone
Trouble
Everywhere
I'm So Afraid
Red Sun
In My World
Feel About You
Love Is Here To Stay
Hold Me
Carnival Begin
Big Love
Go Insane
World Turning
Little Lies
Sleeping Around the Corner
Got A Hold On Me
Tusk
You Make Loving Fun
Go Your Own Way
-
Lay Down For Free
Don't Stop
Game of Pretend

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-13-2017, 05:23 PM
Ledgie

Very happy here that the second leg will bring them to Florida!

Would be ecstatic if they'd consider making the following adjustments to the setlist:

Replace "Never Going Back Again" with "Save Me A Place"
Replace "Wish You Were Here" with "Over & Over"
Replace "Shut Us Down" with "Walk A Thin Line"
Replace "Little Lies" with "Got A Hold On Me"
Replace "You Make Loving Fun" with "Remember Me"
Add "Carnival Begin", and have it segue into "I'm So Afraid"
Replace "Game Of Pretend" with "Why"

Hope the "powers that be" with this tour see this!!!