Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
Yeah, that whole 'Jay Z album going platinum' thing is a joke. Nobody bought the album for it to achieve that. I think that's so unfair.
It may be unfair...that's a whole different debate. The fact that it was the first album to do this in a very long time tells you something about the music industry today. Major act new albums routinely went platinum before or during the first week of release. Its almost impossible to do now unless a gimmick is involved. To say that Stevie sold 1/10 of Jay-Z's new album is a huge success IMHO.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the important question is, "Does Stevie consider the album to be a flop?"

And unfortunately, from the way she talks in recent interviews about how no one buys records anymore, it seems she does. Or more accurately, she considers pretty much all albums released these days to be flops.

If her words are to be taken at face value, lack of potential sales was at least part of the reason she didn't go into the studio with Christine and Lindsey. Her attitude could be summed up as, "Why bother, when no one will buy the record anyway?"

Of course, she kinda contradicts herself on this (Stevie, contradict? No! ) because she's also said she recorded IYD and 24KG because she finally stopped caring about sales. So who knows.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Earth to some on this board:
Mainstream radio is never going to play any new song from Stevie Nicks or Fleetwood Mac. Not going to happen... ever. Not going to ever have a hit single no matter how good it is. It may sound harsh but its the truth and reality. By some of the standards on this board we would never get new music for fear of calling it a flop or no hit singles.
This is not the 1980's. If any new music has over 100k buyers, I don't think you can call it a flop no matter any airplay or music videos, etc.
But its just a horrible standard to lay on Stevie, Christine, Lindsey or the Mac. Thank goodness they are not afraid of making new music because they realize they wont get any airplay. Really. Thank goodness!
You are 100% correct. It's a shame, really but the truth is the truth.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 08-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Regardless...my point remains the same. It shows how hard it is to sell music today and get something platinum.
Well, in my opinion and some others, his album never really went platinum. Him and stupid streaming service Tidal almost screwed Lana Del Rey's album out of the number 1 spot. He's been up to no good.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Even when Stevie (occasionally) says she'll keep making music for the fans & doesn't care if it sells, it must be a hard pill to swallow when you remember the glory years of say...The white album through RAL or Tango. Maybe if she'd had 10 years of albums and middling success (as the rest of the Mac had) before hitting it BIG, it would be easier for her now to make albums for art's sake.
*Ricoh*
Old 08-07-2017, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv View Post
Even when Stevie (occasionally) says she'll keep making music for the fans & doesn't care if it sells, it must be a hard pill to swallow when you remember the glory years of say...The white album through RAL or Tango. Maybe if she'd had 10 years of albums and middling success (as the rest of the Mac had) before hitting it BIG, it would be easier for her now to make albums for art's sake.
*Ricoh*
A true artist does make music for art's sake. Album sales have never slowed or stopped Lindsey from creating a vault of solo music. Its a bitter pill for those artists that remember the days without internet and there were actually records that were made. To me the sales have nothing to do with the quality of the music. Some of the biggest sellers and #1 hits are pure crap. The finest music is not always commercial pop. Thank goodness the Mac members appreciate their craft to give us more music!
Old 08-07-2017, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think any artist in Stevie's age demo that release an album that debuts in the top 20 is impressive.
I don't think 24k is a flop.
I wouldn't call it a smash hit either.
But it did debut in the top 10, which is relevant.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
I think any artist in Stevie's age demo that release an album that debuts in the top 20 is impressive.
I don't think 24k is a flop.
I wouldn't call it a smash hit either.
But it did debut in the top 10, which is relevant.
I totally agree. And we have to remember: this was an album of re-hashed demos (that to my ears doesn't even sound like it was produced very well). SOOO...that it made a top 10 debut at all is pretty good. I mean really....did anyone expect this album would be a blockbuster considering what it is (re-recorded oldies) and who she is (basically a nostalgia/oldies act at this point)?
Old 08-08-2017, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I know the tour did very well, but that doesn't really reflect on whether the album was a hit or a flop. From what I understand, the tour (which took place nearly a year after the album was released) didn't impact sales of the album- that is, the album never re-entered Billboard's chart, even during the tour.
And to this point, for the life of me, I can not understand why copies of the CD are not offered for sale at the merchandise table during the concerts. The whole point of tours in the big picture is to promote the album. Past or present. The name of the tour is 24 Karat Gold. She plays songs from the album, tells stories about the writing so have the CD available. You have so much other product there, why not the vinyl or CD? I don't get it. Even 1 sold is money in the bank and helps the charting, and the industry as a whole. It's just a win-win for everyone. Don't have people going, I like the new songs she played but ask where is the CD at the merchandise table.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieNicksfann View Post
And to this point, for the life of me, I can not understand why copies of the CD are not offered for sale at the merchandise table during the concerts. The whole point of tours in the big picture is to promote the album. Past or present. The name of the tour is 24 Karat Gold. She plays songs from the album, tells stories about the writing so have the CD available. You have so much other product there, why not the vinyl or CD? I don't get it. Even 1 sold is money in the bank and helps the charting, and the industry as a whole. It's just a win-win for everyone. Don't have people going, I like the new songs she played but ask where is the CD at the merchandise table.
People didn't go to the 'Stevie Nicks 24 Karat Gold Tour' for the '24 Karat Gold' part. They went for the 'Stevie Nicks' part. Most of these people are not die-hard fans. They probably thought 24 Karat Gold was just the name of the tour, rather than an actual album. They went to see Stevie Nicks in all her witchy shawl twirling glory, singing Rhiannon and all her classic hits. They don't care about new music.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Putting it in perspective, I remembered that Tusk was considered a flop when it was released, but now people hold it in high regard and several Deluxe editions have been released since then.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I used to ask this same question all the time, especially when most other acts do sell their CD's at their concerts. But I went to two 24K shows and both of them had the CD for sale with the other merchandise.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I used to ask this same question all the time, especially when most other acts do sell their CD's at their concerts. But I went to two 24K shows and both of them had the CD for sale with the other merchandise.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that CD sales sold at concerts aren't reflected on Billboard's charts.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
People didn't go to the 'Stevie Nicks 24 Karat Gold Tour' for the '24 Karat Gold' part. They went for the 'Stevie Nicks' part. Most of these people are not die-hard fans. They probably thought 24 Karat Gold was just the name of the tour, rather than an actual album. They went to see Stevie Nicks in all her witchy shawl twirling glory, singing Rhiannon and all her classic hits. They don't care about new music.
doesn't matter.....that's the goal of merchandising... whatever the reason they bought tickets, once they're there, and she's talking about the songs on the album and she's PLAYING the songs on the album, you have a captive audience so to speak, and if they LIKED the songs off the album that they heard her perform, they are more likely to BUY the album right then and there when they are still in the glow of the moment (and as a souvenir of sorts) than once they get all the way home, days later, have to make it a point to remember to either go buy a CD or go on iTunes or wherever and download it. By then people think, Do I REALLY need it??

It's like why they have candy and gossip rags and such at the checkout in stores.... it's called impulse buying. It would mean more ka-ching in her coffers.

Now if as someone says, sales at shows (i.e. through non retailers) don't count towards Billboard rankings, and if in fact this is why Stevie and her people didn't have them for sale at shows, that would seriously damage my opinion of her/them.... because that would say they aren't about getting actual music out to actual fans (you know, all that blah blah in interviews about how "the real reason I write songs is to make people feel better, to bring some joy to them for 3 minutes of their day") but all about the image-polishing prestige of Billboard rankings. (not that I think those don't count but to piss on fans who keep you in private jets and all like that is crap)
Old 08-09-2017, 03:10 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
At all four shows I went to on the 24 Karat tour, they had both the CD and the vinyl album for sale at all of the merchandise tables.