Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubrick2788 View Post
If she is in fact recording a new solo album I would like The Dealer to finally be recorded and released. It's one of the more enjoyable (and good groove) demos she has lying around. Chris can play some funky piano for it and Stevie's voice could still do it justice. That is really all I have to say about this one. I'll listen to whatever she comes up with, but IYD was a bit of a mixed bag for me. Anything that is inspired by Twilight, no matter how small a part of the whole it is, cannot be too good.
To me, Stevie reviving a demo that old just shouldn't be done. I don't think she did any favors by resurrecting Smile At You, The Tower (Goodbye Baby), or Lady From The Mountain (Moonlight). All those songs either lost their original potency, sound silly with an older woman singing a young woman's songs, or just plain aren't relevant. Plus to me, the Dealer is more of a classic Stevie solo song than a Mac one.

The one older demo that comes to mind which could be brought into the 21st century is If You Were My Love. Still, after the way some of her other old demos turned out after their 21st century transformations, I'm not sure I even wish for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
What truly is a head scratcher to me, are people on this board (in this thread and others), who can't imagine, or actually fathom Dave Stewart co-producing - maybe two or three - Fleetwood Mac tracks. Rob Cavello & John Shanks co-produced tracks on SYW - their involvement didn't make the songs any less Fleetwood Mac-y Mitchell Froom co-produced "Sad Angel" & Miss Fantasy" on "Extended Play", and they sure as hell sounded just like Mac songs! Maybe fans need a reminder that Fleetwood Mac (and Lindsey) have a long history of bringing in co-producers (Richard Dashut, Ken Caillat, Keith Olsen, Elliot Scheiner, etc.) and that the FM world & sound did not come to an end.

And it was Dave Stewart, out of ALL of Stevie's solo producers, that brought Stevie back to her classic & most Mac-y sounding solo record. "Soldiers Angel" and "Annabel Lee" especially. And, yes, it should go without saying, that Stevie is able to branch out and record songs like "Italian Summer", "Everybody Loves You" & "Wide Sargasso Sea" solo, but within FM, I have no doubt they will be sticking to the what works within the confines of what the band is recording.
I've long advocated for the Mac to bring in an outside producer to augment Lindsey's work. I think the band was at it's best when they had Richard Dashut and/or Ken Caillat at their sides. I think they lost a vital part of their sound when they parted ways with those guys.

However, that doesn't mean I think just any old Joe can step up to the plate & fill their shoes. While I truly adore what Dave Stewart did with Stevie for In Your Dreams, I hold firm to my belief that he would do no favors for Fleetwood Mac. Bottom line, I just think Dave imparts a sound that is way too slick. Yes, I've listened to a coterie of the albums Dave has been involved with, and I still stand by that opinion. Dave's high polish on Stevie's songs adjacent to the songs Lindsey produced for himself and Christine just would sound lopsided. If they're going to bring in an outside producer, at least get him or her on everyone's songs.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
To me, Stevie reviving a demo that old just shouldn't be done. I don't think she did any favors by resurrecting Smile At You, The Tower (Goodbye Baby), or Lady From The Mountain (Moonlight). All those songs either lost their original potency, sound silly with an older woman singing a young woman's songs, or just plain aren't relevant. Plus to me, the Dealer is more of a classic Stevie solo song than a Mac one.

The one older demo that comes to mind which could be brought into the 21st century is If You Were My Love. Still, after the way some of her other old demos turned out after their 21st century transformations, I'm not sure I even wish for that.
Entirely agreed re Smile At You, but I very much like Goodbye Baby, and absolutely adore Moonlight - - indeed, I think it's one of Stevie's strongest songs since Wild Heart. I'd love to hear an updated, fully produced version of If You Were My Love, and also of All The Beautiful Worlds. I'd also love for Stevie to record The Dealer, but agree that it would be most appropriate for a solo album. No matter what, at this point, with still more than 5 months to go until the tour, I'm thrilled that Stevie's (supposedly/hopefully!) in the studio recording.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I've long advocated for the Mac to bring in an outside producer to augment Lindsey's work. I think the band was at it's best when they had Richard Dashut and/or Ken Caillat at their sides. I think they lost a vital part of their sound when they parted ways with those guys.

However, that doesn't mean I think just any old Joe can step up to the plate & fill their shoes. While I truly adore what Dave Stewart did with Stevie for In Your Dreams, I hold firm to my belief that he would do no favors for Fleetwood Mac. Bottom line, I just think Dave imparts a sound that is way too slick. Yes, I've listened to a coterie of the albums Dave has been involved with, and I still stand by that opinion. Dave's high polish on Stevie's songs adjacent to the songs Lindsey produced for himself and Christine just would sound lopsided. If they're going to bring in an outside producer, at least get him or her on everyone's songs.
"Any old Joe"....whatever.
Soldier's Angel" wasn't "slick" in production. Not at all! And that's the way Stevie wanted it - brutal and ragged. Also, I don't buy your argument, at all, about Dave's imput sounding lopsided against whomever is producing/co-producing Lindsey's or Chirstine's songs. Are you kidding me, Lindsey is the maestro of "slick" production. There just are too many examples of that from back to the White album all the way to the effervescent sheen of "Tango!" Hell, even SYW!! Give me a break.

Last edited by Christopher; 04-21-2014 at 10:16 PM..
Old 04-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
"Any old Joe"....whatever.
Soldier's Angel" wasn't "slick" in production. Not at all! And that's the way Stevie wanted it - brutal and ragged. Also, I don't buy your argument, at all, about Dave's imput sounding lopsided against whomever is producing/co-producing Lindsey's or Chirstine's songs. Are you kidding me, Lindsey is the maestro of "slick" production. There just are too many examples of that from back to the White album all the way to the effervescent sheen of "Tango!" Hell, even SYW!! Give me a break.
You must be a mind reader...I was thinking just that...
Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 PM

I'm just glad they are working on new music. And super glad Stevie and Christine are working together. It is a band after all. Wasn't Waddy on Blue Letter?
Old 04-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No ones said anything about Waddy yet so I guess I get to be first...
I would love to see what Lindsey and Waddy sound like playing and working together...Now before everyone freaks out I don't expect Waddy to be featured on any songs but I think he could provide a nice added texture here and there...

Last edited by BlueDenimLamp; 04-21-2014 at 08:10 PM..
Old 04-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I'm just glad they are working on new music. And super glad Stevie and Christine are working together. It is a band after all. Wasn't Waddy on Blue Letter?
Waddy played on "Sugar Daddy" http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/songs...43&perfid=1250
Old 04-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am also in the camp that The Dealer needs to be recorded. Why that was left off Bella Donna is beyond me. I think either FM or solo could be killer. I also believe most of her old demos still translate even if people seem attached to its original form. Secret Love, Planets of The Universe, Sorcerer, Moonlight, etc are all fantastic in their current and old forms.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieNicksfann View Post
I am also in the camp that The Dealer needs to be recorded. Why that was left off Bella Donna is beyond me. I think either FM or solo could be killer. I also believe most of her old demos still translate even if people seem attached to its original form. Secret Love, Planets of The Universe, Sorcerer, Moonlight, etc are all fantastic in their current and old forms.
Yeah, I totally agree with you. The Dealer is in that same batch of late 70s/early 80s songs (her creative peak) that would be incredible to hear on an album now. But I bet she'd change the name to "Mistress of My Faith" to downplay a drug reference that media would easily blow out of proportion, "I was a dealer and it wasn't hard."
Old 04-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know many bands besides FM do this, but I've always thought that a band member serving as producer is inherently fraught with difficulties. A band hires a producer to help them create the album they want. Dave Stewart, working as Stevie's employee, helped her achieve the sound and vision she had for the songs on IYD. Giving those duties to a band member almost strikes me as a conflict of interest. As a producer, Lindsey should help Stevie shape her songs in a way that she likes. But since he is a member of the band, he also has a vested interest in how those songs sound. So what happens when they disagree? It's really no wonder there is often tension.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's best that Lindsey stays out of Stevie's songs. If they are done in concert, then he can play on them in concert just as he does (and it's limited at that) on Stand Back. Calumny, indeed. I just don't want to be bothered with it. I don't want to read about it in interviews. I don't want his name on her songs as a musician or producer. I guess he can sing on them, if someone wants him to, but it really shouldn't be a concern. That was fine when it lasted, but we're 10 years away from SYW and 10 years from now some of them will be octogenerians or dead. I don't want a whole lot of accusations about this album to still be flying around in 2024.

We're only talking about 3-4 songs anyway. Maybe the album won't sound coherent, but if 2/3 of it does, who cares about the rest? I don't. At this point I've given up on having another full Mac album. Even if we only get 8 "Fleetwood Mac" songs, that's better than having none. I just want her to do whatever she is doing in her corner of the world and have fun over there.

I think when we began to dream of Christine returning, many of us always envisioned this album as Tango, not Rumours. Tango, with Christine and Lindsey and then Stevie, separate. I was perfectly happy with Tango and the work Christine and Lindsey did together. For Stevie, hopefully together she and Dave can come up with something somewhat better that WTTRS.

I hope they do this and get an album out in 2015 for the second leg of the tour.

Michele
Old 04-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I acknowledge the various viewpoints pertaining to Dave Stewart's involvement in a Fleetwood Mac recording, but believe some people are underestimating his abilities as a musician and producer. Dave's commercial/pop sensibilities have been consistently referenced within this thread, but he is capable of veering to the left on occasion, particularly in a live context.
If Lindsey embraces Dave's input and is willing to consider co-producing the album (or certain tracks) alongside him, it is possible the results could recall the classic band sound of the 1970's. (I would imagine just about anything would be considered more cutting-edge than the Mitchell Froom production on Extended Play.)
As has already been stated, some of Dave's production work on Stevie’s In Your Dreams album was reminiscent of the FM sound and this didn't go unnoticed by critics at the time of it's release in 2011. "Annabel Lee" and "Moonlight" could definitely have sat comfortably on a Mac album and even the likes of "Secret Love" wouldn't have been out of place. In fact, "Secret Love" is a fine example of Dave conjuring something out of nothing - a very average song made to sparkle.
My primary concern at this stage is whether Stevie can deliver in terms of stellar songwriting and nuanced vocals (as opposed to monotone belting). Trotters crossed...
Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's pretty apparent that Stevie does not want to work with Lindsey as producer. I think they are getting her basic tracks down with Waddy and others. I'm sure Lindsey will add stuff later, but she doesn't want him around during the formative process.. It would be in her best interest to at least have him add harmonies and some guitar work later. If she doesn't she's going to look like quite the diva. Sorry but my opinion of her will go way down if she doesn't. I'm guessing Christine is putting down her stuff now.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
No ones said anything about Waddy yet so I guess I get to be first...
I would love to see what Lindsey and Waddy sound like playing and working together...Now before everyone freaks out I don't expect Waddy to be featured on any songs but I think he could provide a nice added texture here and there...
I concur. There's nothing wrong with having the occasional guest musician.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
I think it's pretty apparent that Stevie does not want to work with Lindsey as producer. I think they are getting her basic tracks down with Waddy and others. I'm sure Lindsey will add stuff later, but she doesn't want him around during the formative process.. It would be in her best interest to at least have him add harmonies and some guitar work later. If she doesn't she's going to look like quite the diva. Sorry but my opinion of her will go way down if she doesn't. I'm guessing Christine is putting down her stuff now.
Well, Lindsey certainly could be called a "diva" many x's over the years .

Without question, this incarnation of Fleetwood Mac has always been a delicate, fragile, balancing act, and what is occuring now should not be startling to anyone who has been paying close attention since SYW. With Stevie, I believe it comes down to a trust issue. She no longer appears to have any faith & trust to leave her songs soley in Lindsey's hands. She's earned that. And arguably, it could be debated that Lindsey hasn't worked his brand of brilliance on her songs since "Gypsy." And that his so-called studio "wizardry" has grown tiresome. Sometimes a band needs a new outside producer to get out of its own way, out of the same zone. To grow. Linsdey looks at times to be stuck on his island.

So if Stevie is indeed planning on polishing up her songs/demos to the point of finalization (with Dave, Waddy & Christine) - then have Lindsey layer "some" guitar & backing vocals to her tracks, it would be just like he did to her on his (GOS) solo tracks that became SYW songs. We could be witnessing a full circle moment.