User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
I hope that too but she's a witch, so.... Lindsey will probably be the first one.
Hmm, if only someone could talk her into taking the ice bucket challenge...

Old 05-13-2018, 09:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

It's been almost nine years since I stopped caring about anything about Fleetwood Mac. Nothing has changed.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire Girl View Post
It's been almost nine years since I stopped caring about anything about Fleetwood Mac. Nothing has changed.
And yet, here you are.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-14-2018, 05:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Yes, let’s ask a 75 year old to choose between a close friend of 50 years and her former husband/now considers a brother over someone who isn’t necessarily a close friend, but a creative partner/bandmate/co-worker to pick a loyalty over a decision she didn’t agree with. As far as Chris is concerned, Lindsey is/was a bandmate whom she held in the highest regard, Mick and John are family. Big difference.

Christine was there for the history of Fleetwood Mac that actually mattered (1968-1998). She was there with Peter Green (as a session player), joined the band shortly after Green’s departure, and stayed with them for the better part of 27 years, suffering through the revolving door of personnel only to become the band’s chief hit writer. Fleetwood Mac has really been her life, and I think it’s unreasonable to hold her to some unreasonable, unrealistic standard based on something we don’t have enough information to accurately judge.

I doubt even Lindsey would expect her to pick sides on this, hence his factions comments. He gets it. Too bad some of his fans don’t. They have all made it clear that she had nothing to do with the decision. To expect that she would leave is ludicrous, and to think she could have stopped something that had already happened isn’t too far behind.
Thanks again for your well reasoned posts. A pleasure to read.

I realise emotions are running high, and people are angry, but there's some very irrational thinking behind many of the posts on this board right now.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
Hmm, if only someone could talk her into taking the ice bucket challenge...
Now we just need someone to fill it with holy water.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Yes, let’s ask a 75 year old to choose between a close friend of 50 years and her former husband/now considers a brother over someone who isn’t necessarily a close friend, but a creative partner/bandmate/co-worker to pick a loyalty over a decision she didn’t agree with. As far as Chris is concerned, Lindsey is/was a bandmate whom she held in the highest regard, Mick and John are family. Big difference.
I wasn't aware that she never agreed with it. So she was surprised to hear that Lindsey was fired after getting back to London. Does this mean that she had NO IDEA of what was going on within the band? No input as to what the band should do concerning the touring schedule conflict? And we don't even know if there was anything else that went down to cause the split. Whatever it was, she went along with the bands' decision. Yes, Christine McVie, one of the most venerable members of the band, was clueless.

Quote:
Christine was there for the history of Fleetwood Mac that actually mattered (1968-1998). She was there with Peter Green (as a session player), joined the band shortly after Green’s departure, and stayed with them for the better part of 27 years, suffering through the revolving door of personnel only to become the band’s chief hit writer. Fleetwood Mac has really been her life, and I think it’s unreasonable to hold her to some unreasonable, unrealistic standard based on something we don’t have enough information to accurately judge.

Yes, we can agree with that, in part. Chris has had quite an illustrious legacy with FM. But let me remind you, that although you seem to think that everything after '98 didn't matter, after Chris took her leave, was when Lindsey took the reins and led the band through the next 20 years. He kept them alive. I think that's an important part of the journey, considering for the most part it is why this latest incarnation of FM is around today. Yeah, Chris is sitting pretty after her 16 yr. hiatus, which I don't begrudge her a bit, nestled in that comfy cash cow known as FM. And the man that kept it together for the last two decades is FIRED! That's some good principle there!

Quote:
I doubt even Lindsey would expect her to pick sides on this, hence his factions comments. He gets it. Too bad some of his fans don’t. They have all made it clear that she had nothing to do with the decision. To expect that she would leave is ludicrous, and to think she could have stopped something that had already happened isn’t too far behind.

Yes Lindsey does get it, and I feel that at least through comments his family has made, is that he's been screwed. Perhaps his fans have the right to be ticked off, considering that he's no longer in a band that he's helped mold and shape, and been largely responsible for their sound since 1975. No, not many people would leave FM. Don't you know it's all about the money! Diamonds are a girl's best friend.

Last edited by jwd; 05-14-2018 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: cleaning up post
Old 05-14-2018, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://www.cinemablend.com/pop/2419...-mac-departure

POP
Lindsey Buckingham Finally Explained His Fleetwood Mac Departure
BY WILL ASHTON

Lindsey Buckingham "Big Love" Official Live Video

On April 9th, it was announced that Lindsay Buckingham was no longer a member of Fleetwood Mac. Over 40 years since the singer/songwriter/guitarist joined the world-renowned band, Buckingham either quit the beloved group (again) or he was effectively fired. Rumors had it (no pun intended) that he left the iconic band involuntarily, as was suggested by fellow guitarist Billy Burnette. One of the reasons why Buckingham's departure has been mysterious is because we haven't heard from Buckingham himself since he divorced from Fleetwood Mac. Buckingham has only been involved in a limited number of public engagements in 2018, but the musician was seen publicly again on Friday at a campaign fundraiser for environmental attorney Mike Levin. It was there where Buckingham finally opened up about the much-publicized split. Here's what the rocker had to say:

For me, personally, probably some of you know that for the last three months I have sadly taken leave of my band of 43 years, Fleetwood Mac. This was not something that was really my doing or my choice. I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. The point is that they'd lost their perspective. What that did was to harm -- and this is the only thing I'm really sad about, the rest of it becomes an opportunity -- it harmed the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny.

Lindsay Buckingham's words, as recounted by a user on Medium, don't specify any Fleetwood Mac band member in particular, although people surrounding the legendary musician at the public event were quick to point fingers at Stevie Nicks, and a few people in attendance weren't afraid to use explicit language when it came to voicing their disdain for her behavior. however, at the fundraiser, which was held to give Mike Levin a chance to represent the 49th Congressional District of California as the Democratic candidate, Buckingham made an effort not to express ill-feelings towards Stevie or any of the other specific band members.

This is not the first time Lindsey Buckingham has separated from Fleetwood Mac, as he previously left the band between the releases of 1987's Tango in the Night and 1997's The Dance, but it's the first time Buckingham didn't choose to leave. We're sure he has more to say, but those words will arrive on a different day. Since Lindsey's exit from the rock band, the veteran rocker has since been replaced by not one, but two separate musicians (which should hopefully serve as a testament to Buckingham's impact in the monumental band). Neil Finn and former Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers bandmate Mike Campbell are filling in for Buckingham now, particularly as they are preparing to tour once again starting in the fall. The tour begins on October 3rd, to be precise, in Tulsa, OK.

Meanwhile, Mick Fleetwood also opened up about Lindsey Buckingham's departure recently. He admitted that it wasn't a "happy situation" with Fleetwood Mac, his partial namesake, and that they needed to make a decision for the good of the band, also noting they felt it was time for Lindsey Buckingham to go. A "majority rule" made the hard choice. In any case, this isn't the last time we'll hear about this split.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-14-2018, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
I think the decision was made based on a mixture of business and personal reasons. I believe all 5 contributed to the breakdown. This happened over time. I think it is was clear after Say You Will that Stevie never wanted to record with Lindsey again. I think Lindsey’s attitude/behavior also plays a part. I am not convinced by that video shot by fans means he never said he wanted to delay the tour until 2019. He easily could have said that to FM in the weeks preceding that video. His request combined with his comments over the Classic shows and his manager PLUS the ongoing tension with Stevie may have been what cemented his fate. Was it the right decision? I don’t think so. She is obviously narcissistic and has an overflated ego (as does Mick, and as does Lindsey). It’s disappointing. I think the four will regret the decision. But the decision was made. I think the idea anyone is above being fired is ridiculous, no matter how popular or important someone is. If they had given Stevie her walking papers for not recording what became BuckVie, that would have been their right.

I am trying not to argue about it with anyone anymore because it is exhausting and people are upset
i completely agree with everything you wrote here. especially the highlighted parts. including that LB probably did originally asked for delay (although most probably Nov 2018 and not 2019) and then backed off by the time of Musicares. which means at the time they fired him the reasoning Mick and Stevie keep citing was not there anymore.

so no arguments from me - from what i can tell you are basically saying the same as most LB, FM, BN and disappointed SN fans here.

from everything you say above and what we can piece together there was no good reason to fire LB, while there were many good reasons to fire SN over the last decade.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-14-2018, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i completely agree with everything you wrote here. especially the highlighted parts. including that LB probably did originally asked for delay (although most probably Nov 2018 and not 2019) and then backed off by the time of Musicares. which means at the time they fired him the reasoning Mick and Stevie keep citing was not there anymore.

so no arguments from me - from what i can tell you are basically saying the same as most LB, FM, BN and disappointed SN fans here.

from everything you say above and what we can piece together there was no good reason to fire LB, while there were many good reasons to fire SN over the last decade.
Basically yes, except I am acknowledging that the remaining 4 and their management thought there was a reason to fire him....fans and LB and his family and his band just disagree and are disappointed. But the band had their reasons.

Just like they had their reasons *not* to fire Stevie over the years, when it would have been their right to do so.

I don't see any sides as lying...just different perspectives...that fans are not going to necessarily agree with.

While I am disappointed, I am not going to spend time and energy hating or insulting Stevie, Christine, Mick, or John, or waste time hoping the tour fails financially or critically.

I am trying also not to argue with fans who are very upset because I agree no one should tell people how they feel. And I feel bad and how I acted right after this happened. The above paragraph is just stating how I feel and how I am trying to respond to this latest chapter going forward, not saying that anyone is "wrong" if they feel/act differently
Old 05-14-2018, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
I am trying also not to argue with fans who are very upset because I agree no one should tell people how they feel. And I feel bad and how I acted right after this happened. The above paragraph is just stating how I feel and how I am trying to respond to this latest chapter going forward, not saying that anyone is "wrong" if they feel/act differently
thank you! such a refreshing attitude.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/...ir-perspective

Lindsey Buckingham Responds to Fleetwood Mac Firing: "They'd Lost Their Perspective"
“It harmed the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build.”
DAMIAN FANELLI

Lindsey Buckingham performs with Fleetwood Mac in New York City on January 26.

Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for NARAS

Despite his lengthy and celebrated tenure with Fleetwood Mac, the iconic British/American band relieved guitarist Lindsey Buckingham of his duties just over a month ago. This past Friday night, Buckingham publicly addressed the firing for the first time—while performing at a campaign fundraiser for California Democratic congressional candidate Mike Levin.

"It's been an interesting time on a lot of levels," Buckingham told the crowd. "For me, personally, probably some of you know that for the last three months I have sadly taken leave of my band of 43 years, Fleetwood Mac. This was not something that was really my doing or my choice. I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective [a female fan shouts, '**** Stevie Nicks!', prompting Buckingham to raise his hand].

"Well, it doesn't really matter. The point is that they'd lost their perspective. What that did was to harm— and this is the only thing I'm really sad about, the rest of it becomes an opportunity— it harmed the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build [another fan chimes in, 'That you built, Lindsey']. That legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."

It should be noted that "43 years" is actually more like "33 years" (when you pull out the ol' iPhone calculator). Buckingham joined Fleetwood Mac a few months after guitarist/singer Bob Welch quit in 1974. Buckingham made his recording debut with the crew on 1975's Fleetwood Mac, which spawned several hits, including "Rhiannon," "Landslide" and "Say You Love Me." He also was a major driving force behind two of their most iconic albums (of their "pop" period, anyway), 1977's Rumours and 1979's Tusk. That said, Buckingham left Fleetwood Mac in 1987—only to rejoin the gang 10 years later. He had been with them ever since—until the firing, of course.

"Words like 'fired' are ugly references as far as I'm concerned," drummer and band cofounder Mick Fleetwood told Rolling Stone last month. "Not to hedge around, but we arrived at the impasse of hitting a brick wall. This was not a happy situation for us in terms of the logistics of a functioning band. To that purpose, we made a decision that we could not go on with him. Majority rules in term of what we need to do as a band and go forward."

Buckingham was replaced by two guitarists—the late Tom Petty's former right-hand man, Mike Campbell, and Neil Finn, he of Split Enz and Crowded House fame. The new version of Fleetwood Mac recently announced a 2018 tour, and you can see all the dates right here.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catdancer View Post
And remember she was violent with him too. She said she flew off of the couch and wanted to kill him when he said he wanted to leave in '87. She also stole his spotlight onstage several times which is why he kicked her. I DO NOT condone his behavior but there are 2 sides to every story. She herself said she knows how to push his buttons.
I agree that we don't know what really happened between SnL behind the scenes. But if you compare the CBS interview that the band did and what Lindsey said last Friday, it's crystal clear to me that she had a hand in his being fired. I think when someone said:"F*ck Stevie Nicks" and she had nothing to do with it he would have stood up for her.
I agree with every word! I would never, ever condone violence and incidents where that happened were flat out wrong, no matter what the circumstance.
But I think the idea some people have that Lindsey was the only one who was mean is ridiculous. I don't doubt he was mean to her, but I am 100% convinced she was mean right back and probably initiated dozens of arguments herself. Others who were around in those days said the same thing as well.
There were also those audio tapes of Sara Fleetwood and Beverly Vance talking about Stevie and I remember Beverly mentioning that she used to hook up with Lindsey at some point and Stevie and her whole posse knew about it and they really gave her a hard time about it and I think Sara mentions that Stevie would start fights with Lindsey when she'd hear about him and other girls or if he brought someone around. It was definitely a two-way street.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
I wasn't aware that she never agreed with it. So she was surprised to hear that Lindsey was fired after getting back to London. Does this mean that she had NO IDEA of what was going on within the band? No input as to what the band should do concerning the touring schedule conflict? And we don't even know if there was anything else that went down to cause the split. Whatever it was, she went along with the bands' decision. Yes, Christine McVie, one of the most venerable members of the band, was clueless.
Yes, I mean, if we're going to come up with a story to justify Christine's behavior, we should at least all agree here!

Did she go back to London before the voting and she was never asked about her opinión?
Did she voted against firing Lindsey but it didn't matter because power couple had already made their mind?
Was she asked while in London and she didn't care because she knew power couple had already won?

What is it gonna be?
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I agree with every word! I would never, ever condone violence and incidents where that happened were flat out wrong, no matter what the circumstance.
if it happened nowadays days they would have been both picked up by the police probably, if somebody reported those fights. like Paul Simon and his wife, or whoever that was.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Yes, I mean, if we're going to come up with a story to justify Christine's behavior, we should at least all agree here!

Did she go back to London before the voting and she was never asked about her opinión?
Did she voted against firing Lindsey but it didn't matter because power couple had already made their mind?
Was she asked while in London and she didn't care because she knew power couple had already won?

What is it gonna be?
that's the option i heard her say happened, so that's the one i will go with.