Addicted Ledgie

Default Sundance article-Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.sltrib.com/entertainment/ci_5059444

Sundance: 'Where Music Meets Film'
A rockin' cause: Host hopes concerts spark inspiration
By Dan Nailen
The Salt Lake Tribune
Salt Lake Tribune

Lindsey Buckingham, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with his band Fleetwood Mac, sees a correlation between his career and the evolution of the Sundance Film Festival.
Just as Sundance has grown and incorporated more mainstream work alongside the indie flicks that are its lifeblood, Buckingham has balanced the monstrous commercial success of Fleetwood Mac with his desire to scratch any artistic itch he wants - record sales and record companies be damned.
"Being in a more mainstream situation, if you call yourself a band member of what I always think of as a big machine, you have to be mindful and responsible to the needs of that," Buckingham said in a phone interview last week. "And yet, I've always sort of walked this line between being part of that and trying to continue to grow as an artist by continuing to feed the left side of my palette."
Lately, Buckingham is feeding that side through the mostly acoustic tracks on his new solo album, "Under the Skin," which he will perform at "Where Music Meets Film," a new music showcase at this year's Sundance Film Festival.
"Where Music Meets Film" is a four-day acoustic showcase that will be filmed for a prime-time special scheduled to air on the WE network this spring. In addition to Buckingham, the lineup includes established artists like Shawn Colvin and Keb' Mo', as well as rising acts like Sean Lennon and Joss Stone. ber-producer and Grammy-winning songwriter Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds will perform and play host to the event, which isn't open to the public.
"It's a good place for writers, producers, directors and actors as well to come and hear a night and maybe get inspired by an artist, or inspired by their vibe, or to give them ideas for projects in the future," said Edmonds, who has attended Sundance as a film producer, but never as a performer.
"This is going to be a whole new thing for me, to be that consistent [as a host for four nights], and introducing people," Edmonds added. "I'm always game for trying different things, doing different things. That's sort of the spirit of the thing, trying new things. And I'll be interviewing some of the artists myself, and that will be fun."
Edmonds envisions the intimate scene at the ZonePerfect Bar - better known to locals as the Buddha Bar - will encourage impromptu visits from actors and musicians attending the festival. And while he doesn't guarantee interesting, unannounced musical pairings, "it will certainly be the kind of environment where that could happen."
Buckingham won't have much opportunity to explore the festival, but he's happy to route his current tour through the madness that is Park City in late January.
"I'm a big fan of film," Buckingham said. "I think there's a complete correlation between a film and the way films are made and the way music is put together, at least in my world. And I'm fascinated with the art form. It's one of those things that keeps you going."
dnailen@sltrib.com

Artists, filmmakers and celebrities who attend "Where Music Meets Film" sessions will sign four commemorative Fender guitars that will be auctioned on eBay after the festival, with proceeds benefiting the Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation, a nonprofit organization that provides instruments for school music programs.

Lineup for 'Music Meets Film'

* WEDNESDAY
6:30 p.m. Sean Lennon
7:30 p.m. Joan Osborne
8:30 p.m. Lindsey
Buckingham
* THURSDAY
6:30 p.m. Keb' Mo'
7:30 p.m. Joss Stone
8:30 p.m. Jonny Lang
* FRIDAY
6:15 p.m. Stanley Jordan
7 p.m. Bird York
7:45 p.m. Marc Broussard
8:45 p.m. Shelby Lynne
* SATURDAY
6:30 p.m. Shawn Colvin
7:30 p.m. Daniel Powter
8:30 p.m. Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds
Old 01-22-2007, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^Damn. That's a good lineup.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

thankyou for posting, Livia.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

7:45 p.m. Marc Broussard

He is a VERY nice guy. He is from a little outside my hometown in Louisiana and we have mutual friends - so I met him and have nothing but nice things to say about him and his music.