User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:59 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
No offense to Jenny Lewis, but she’s not a big enough name to take over for Stevie. She doesn’t have a recognizable image or songs. Part of the reason Fleetwood Mac were able to survive this episode relatively unscathed is because they brought in largely recognizable and respected names. People had a frame of reference for the new guys and nobody expected Neil and Mike to be like Lindsey as a result.
Totally disagree with this. In 2019, Jenny Lewis has way more name recognition than the other people on your list, especially among younger fans. Might make sense to appeal to them rather than being consistently stuck in the past. Jenny Lewis is at least still making relevant work, which is more than can be said of anybody else you mention. Frankly, she is above "filling in" for Stevie, at least at this point in her career. I highly doubt Neil Finn or Mike Campbell would ever have taken this gig when they were still commercially relevant. It's really for dinosaurs only.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

After much thought and consideration:

Kate Bush

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
After much thought and consideration:

Kate Bush
Hmmm, from what little I know about Kate Bush, I'm not sure what the end result would be, either recording or touring with FM. Interesting idea, definitely.

As for paying $1000 to hear Fleetwood Mac perform Don't Dream It's Over instead of Go Your Own Way- fortunately, we get to see them perform both!
Old 03-24-2019, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Hmmm, from what little I know about Kate Bush
Well, you have much pleasure ahead. Start from the beginning and be “Wow”’d.

She is the greatest female music artist of all time.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Has anyone suggested Florence Welch?
Old 03-24-2019, 09:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Joss Stone ??
Old 03-24-2019, 10:04 AM
Senior Ledgie

Interesting thread (since I'm new, I have not read the previous threads like this).

Kate Bush would never want to be part of this notoriously dysfunctional band. She's extremely private and doesn't enjoy performing live, historically. After her very first tour she never toured again. Yes, her London Hammersmith residency a few years back was insanely popular and great, had a number of friends fly overseas for it and it blew their minds, but having a 13 date residency in your nearest hometown is a lot different from joining an aging and endlessly dramatic band loaded with baggage on a world tour. I'm sure she'd rather live in peace with her family, any day of the week.

I love and adore Susanna Hoffs. Interesting idea that I could see sort of working. Though anyone who would sign up to "replace Stevie" is just begging to be heckled for the rest of their lives by Stevie's crowd, and I would not wish that on SH or anyone else I love for that matter. haha.

Ann Wilson has some of the best singing chops on the planet... but that means her singing Stevie's songs would probably be pretty dull for her, given Stevie's limited range. I guess she could always mix it up and make things interesting and unique in her own way, especially given her range, but again, people would probably heckle endlessly and she doesn't need that with her career.

Jenny Lewis? Maybe. Brandi Carlile? Maybe. I see the points that they're more relevant to the younger crowds but also... not nearly the star power overall. But alongside LB and Chris they'd probably balance out just fine and they'd probably jump at the chance (or maybe not, if they're also scared of the drama and heckling).

Never a big fan of the Sheryl Crow thing. She doesn't interest me much.

Love these hypotheticals haha
Old 03-24-2019, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminol View Post
Interesting thread (since I'm new, I have not read the previous threads like this).

Kate Bush would never want to be part of this notoriously dysfunctional band. She's extremely private and doesn't enjoy performing live, historically. After her very first tour she never toured again. Yes, her London Hammersmith residency a few years back was insanely popular and great, had a number of friends fly overseas for it and it blew their minds, but having a 13 date residency in your nearest hometown is a lot different from joining an aging and endlessly dramatic band loaded with baggage on a world tour. I'm sure she'd rather live in peace with her family, any day of the week.
you are forgetting that Stevie would not be a part of the band in this scenario. and she is where most of unnecessary and overblown drama comes from.

but i hear you. and also, my opinion was that after 2014-15, FM should not do another greatest hits tour. and if they had to do anything live, should have been some residency somewhere for a few dates. now if they had a new album that would have been different, but it was clear at that point that Stevie is holding that back with the 5, if she stays in the band.

Quote:
Jenny Lewis? Maybe. Brandi Carlile? Maybe. I see the points that they're more relevant to the younger crowds but also... not nearly the star power overall. But alongside LB and Chris they'd probably balance out just fine and they'd probably jump at the chance (or maybe not, if they're also scared of the drama and heckling).
to clarify, Lindsey brought up Jenny Lewis as hypothetical to replace Stevie when she didn't want to work on new FM music in 2014. so i think he was considering she could be a good fit contributing music to FM album.

when he said that, some of us told him it should be 4 of them, no need for any replacements.

but i do have to wonder whether this type of scenario was considered and floated to the band some time in 2014-2015 when they were working on their new album (that later became BuckVie)? like maybe management was telling them - sure you can get rid of Stevie if she doesn't want to record anymore, but you need to bring in someone else who can be a draw to some of the similar audience. i've been to Jenny Lewis shows - girl power is huge among her audiences.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-24-2019, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Though anyone who would sign up to "replace Stevie" is just begging to be heckled for the rest of their lives by Stevie's crowd, and I would not wish that on SH or anyone else I love for that matter. haha.
so true.

we can just look around these boards, and definitely wider social media. there are some fans who consider a positive to not care about people. they keep asking others - why do you care about what happens to LB? it's a very weird attitude.

on social media, every FM show review that doesn't completely throw LB under the bus Stevie cult members go ballistic about.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-24-2019, 02:36 PM
Ledgie

Default Stevie Replacements?

The idea of replacing Stevie is just.....I mean, I get the premise but, frankly, it just wouldn't be Fleetwood Mac without her. But, I can only think of three artists who have actually sprung from Stevie and her influence and think any of these three could pull it off:

Tori Amos - the love child of Stevie and Elton John. I don't know about the idea of two pianists in the same band but, for me, Amos has always been the natural successor to Stevie in terms of voice and lyric. The only problem I can see here is that Tori is prolific in her own right and losing her own work for the sake of FM would be a shame.

Courtney Love - the Gold Dust Woman riseth. If Courtney could have ever gotten it totally together and cleaned it up - she would have went down as a legend but, instead, its been tabloid and fashion show city for years and its become boring. Say what you want but, Love can write a lyric better than most and in full Venus, can shine just as bright as Stevie.

Florence Welch - I love this idea! She has Stevie's grandiose idea for music and really gives it live but, she is not nearly as established and could easily slide in and out.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Venus de Milo

A Stevie-esque scarecrow

A dressmakers dummy

A pile of giant jenga bricks

Courtney Love

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 03-24-2019, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpossibleHoney View Post
Courtney Love - the Gold Dust Woman riseth. If Courtney could have ever gotten it totally together and cleaned it up - she would have went down as a legend but, instead, its been tabloid and fashion show city for years and its become boring. Say what you want but, Love can write a lyric better than most and in full Venus, can shine just as bright as Stevie.

The whole point of changing the lineup was to reduce the amount of drama within the band. Courtney Love has more baggage and more drama than Mick, John, Christine, Stevie, and Lindsey COMBINED!!!

Quote:
Florence Welch - I love this idea! She has Stevie's grandiose idea for music and really gives it live but, she is not nearly as established and could easily slide in and out.
Wasn’t one Welch enough?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-24-2019, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I love and adore Susanna Hoffs. Interesting idea that I could see sort of working. Though anyone who would sign up to "replace Stevie" is just begging to be heckled for the rest of their lives by Stevie's crowd, and I would not wish that on SH or anyone else I love for that matter. haha.
Was Bekka ever heckled when she replaced Stevie? My brother saw a FM show with Bekka and he said it was good and she did a great job, and that the crowd reacted positively. No one has heckled FM on this tour, despite one or two people here saying they wanted to, and I don't see people spending a lot of money to heckle the band in protest.

My brother is a huge Kate Bush fan, and the reasons you listed were much along the same lines of my thinking. The idea of her touring with FM is hard to see, considering her solo tours in the past. But on paper, she sounds ideal.

Susanna Hoffs is interesting to me, too. I can't really think of a negative for her. And I could see FM performing Manic Monday, although I shiver at the idea of Lindsey or Christine Walking Like Egyptians!
Old 03-24-2019, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Do you EVER STFU? Jesus Christ. You're obviously posting under the influence, because "late night" is when you go on these rants.
No Homer. I live in a different time zone. I'm posting at perfectly normally times, and at time when I haven't been drinking.

Edit: Currently 9.24 am in Sydney, Australia.
Apparently it was a "rant" to claim something I thought you'd agree with Homer, that Stevie doesn't need to be replaced and they could easily continue without her.

Last edited by secret love; 03-24-2019 at 05:28 PM..
Old 03-24-2019, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
No Homer. I live in a different time zone. I'm posting at perfectly normally times, and at time when I haven't been drinking.

Edit: Currently 9.24 am in Sydney, Australia.
Apparently it was a "rant" to claim something I thought you'd agree with Homer, that Stevie doesn't need to be replaced and they could easily continue without her.
Well, you hide your location, so one can only guess as to your whereabouts...