The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-02-2018, 09:19 PM
BLY BLY is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 1,260
Default rate ”Mystery to Me”

I do love this album as many of us Mac fans do. I always get pumped when one of these tracks come up randomly on my iPod.

Emerald Eyes 10
Believe Me 9
Just Crazy Love 8
Hypnotized 10
Forever 8
Keep on Going 7
The City 7
Miles Away 8
Somebody 7
The Way I Feel 9
For Your Love 7
Why 10
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 11-03-2018, 10:22 AM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I do love this album as many of us Mac fans do. I always get pumped when one of these tracks come up randomly on my iPod.

Emerald Eyes 10
Believe Me 9
Just Crazy Love 8
Hypnotized 10
Forever 8
Keep on Going 7
The City 7
Miles Away 8
Somebody 7
The Way I Feel 9
For Your Love 7
Why 10
I’ll play:

Emerald Eyes 8
Believe Me 7
Just Crazy Love 7
Hypnotized 10
Forever 4
Keep On Going 10

The City 6
Miles Away 10
Somebody 5
The Way I Feel 8
For Your Love 5
Why 10

I really like the album and think the songs are mostly strong. Some of them however would have benefitted from more professional recording techniques. The music is pretty damn close to the speakers: the effect is strange. The only duds (for me) ate Forever, Somebody (which still has a great chorus), and the cover version of For Your Love.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-03-2018, 10:47 PM
jwd jwd is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Fleetucky
Posts: 3,216
Default

Emerald Eyes 8
Believe Me 8
Just Crazy Love 9
Hypnotized 10
Forever 7
Keep on Going 9
The City 8
Miles Away 8
Somebody 7
The Way I Feel 8
For Your Love 8
Why 10

Great album. Neck and neck with Bare Trees. My two favorite pre B/N FM albums.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-04-2019, 12:12 PM
luminol luminol is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 92
Heart So Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I do love this album as many of us Mac fans do. I always get pumped when one of these tracks come up randomly on my iPod.
This album is SO GOOD... one of the band's best. I feel so very sorry for Bob Welch. I wish the band had put their bitterness over the lawsuit aside and insisted he be inducted into the RRHOF (ala Jerry Garcia/Grateful Dead)... he was so important during that middle era. And he died feeling ignored and unvalued. Sigh. RIP.

ANYWAY back to the topic at hand... these are ranked purely on my personal enjoyment level and nothing else:

Emerald Eyes - 7
Believe Me - 7
Just Crazy Love - 7
Hypnotized - 11! This one goes to 11.
Forever - 8
Keep on Going - 9
The City - 10
Miles Away - 9
Somebody - 9
The Way I Feel - 7
For Your Love - 8
Why - 8

I love the early 70s vibe of this album so much. The grooves are so good, the rockin' is so solid. And Welch's voice is so smooth and easy on the ears... I still feel so sorry for that man. C'est la vie...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-04-2019, 11:54 PM
Conga Conga is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 50
Default

Keep in mind I'm very biased as this is literally one of my favourite FM albums, up there with Tusk and The Dance;

Emerald Eyes - 10 - one of my favourite opening tracks on a FM release
Believe Me - 10
Just Crazy Love - 10
Hypnotized - 10 - one of the band's best songs
Forever - 10 - a feel good song. Slightly reggae, love the staccato guitar and atypical drum and bass work. Not one song like it in the catalog.
Keep On Going - 9.5 - Written by Bob, given to Christine as I think he said he thought she sounded better on the track
The City - 9.5
Miles Away - 9
Somebody - 10 - much like Forever and a lot of the Bob-led cuts on Heroes Are Hard to Find, there's not really any other track quite like this on any other LP by the band
The Way I Feel - 8
For Your Love - 7 - serviceable cover, quite enjoyable but doesn't hold a candle to the Yardbirds' original
Why - 9.5 to 10 - one of Christine's best pieces surely. Should have been brought back for the latest tour.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2019, 10:31 PM
luminol luminol is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminol View Post
This album is SO GOOD... one of the band's best. I feel so very sorry for Bob Welch. I wish the band had put their bitterness over the lawsuit aside and insisted he be inducted into the RRHOF (ala Jerry Garcia/Grateful Dead)... he was so important during that middle era. And he died feeling ignored and unvalued. Sigh. RIP.

ANYWAY back to the topic at hand... these are ranked purely on my personal enjoyment level and nothing else:

Emerald Eyes - 8*
Believe Me - 7
Just Crazy Love - 7
Hypnotized - 11! This one goes to 11.
Forever - 8
Keep on Going - 9
The City - 11*
Miles Away - 9
Somebody - 9
The Way I Feel - 7
For Your Love - 8
Why - 9*

I love the early 70s vibe of this album so much. The grooves are so good, the rockin' is so solid. And Welch's voice is so smooth and easy on the ears... I still feel so sorry for that man. C'est la vie...
Since my original post a few days ago, I've been re-visiting this album a lot and I've updated some of my scores. Marked the ones upgraded with an * above.

MAN... I think The City is INCREDIBLE. I had it as a 10 but this one goes to 11. SO GOOD. Bob should be added to the RARHOF with the rest of 'em posthumously.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-09-2019, 12:54 AM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,972
Default

For the past month, I’ve been cranking up “Miles Away” at the gym. It’s such a great song! I’ve known this for decades but as with all great tunes, I find myself returning to it periodically and experiencing it with renewed excitement.

Surprise: “The City” is growing on me, especially the great Traffic-sounding piano toward the end.

And of course “Why”—which I often play two or three times in a row as I do pull-ups or some equally unappealing movement to attempt to stay trim. Ingenious production is one thing. Transcendent songwriting another. How awesome to have both in the same friggin song.

I guess what I’m saying is, thanks iTunes for finally releasing Mystery. It would be even better digitally remastered, but I’ll take what we have.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-09-2019, 09:14 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,724
Default

Emerald Eyes - 9
Believe Me - 9
Just Crazy Love - 8
Hypnotized - 10
Forever - 8
Keep on Going - 9
The City - 10
Miles Away - 9
Somebody - 9
The Way I Feel - 9
For Your Love - 9
Why - 10
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-09-2019, 01:38 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 2,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Emerald Eyes - 9
Believe Me - 9
Just Crazy Love - 8
Hypnotized - 10
Forever - 8
Keep on Going - 9
The City - 10
Miles Away - 9
Somebody - 9
The Way I Feel - 9
For Your Love - 9
Why - 10
Just crazy love is your lowest rated song
How dare you! I'm telling Chris.
As Nancy Kerrigan cried and Christine sang: Whhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!



Its too difficult to assign numbers to songs on this album and Rumours. The album is fantastic and believe it or not it still grows stronger on me over the years. Its just as good as Rumours IMHO.
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-09-2019, 04:17 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,724
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Just crazy love is your lowest rated song
How dare you! I'm telling Chris.
As Nancy Kerrigan cried and Christine sang: Whhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!



Its too difficult to assign numbers to songs on this album and Rumours. The album is fantastic and believe it or not it still grows stronger on me over the years. Its just as good as Rumours IMHO.
I should give it an 8.9. Solid B+. I love the song, but it's not my go to...
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-10-2019, 02:10 AM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I should give it an 8.9. Solid B+. I love the song, but it's not my go to...
I really like the frenetic guitar fills during the verses. An effective musical touch by Weston that mimics (in a controlled, melodic form) a certain kind of love-craziness.

The song is really catchy and fun but it would benefit from a more creative arrangement to take it that step higher.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-11-2019, 06:52 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 2,679
Default

I found a beautiful video to go with Why. Why is incredible for many reasons but she is convincing herself to be strong and how her heart will overcome this heart break. But in the end of the song, she breaks down with Why don't you love me.

Its really one of the most emotional songs she has ever written. The music is a masterpiece. To think this song and Hypnotized are on the same album is really something.
I wish I could go back to 1973 for a few months......watch the Brady Bunch in prime time on Friday night and All in the Family is the #1 show. Go down to the local music store and buy this album. Too bad this tour was cut short because of the drama. But this would have been the best tour ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b3jLorlms4
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how

Last edited by Macfan4life : 01-11-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-13-2019, 12:18 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,724
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I found a beautiful video to go with Why. Why is incredible for many reasons but she is convincing herself to be strong and how her heart will overcome this heart break. But in the end of the song, she breaks down with Why don't you love me.

Its really one of the most emotional songs she has ever written. The music is a masterpiece. To think this song and Hypnotized are on the same album is really something.
I wish I could go back to 1973 for a few months......watch the Brady Bunch in prime time on Friday night and All in the Family is the #1 show. Go down to the local music store and buy this album. Too bad this tour was cut short because of the drama. But this would have been the best tour ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b3jLorlms4
MTM is certainly a Masterpiece album. I'm glad LB and SN aren't on it. It proves FMac is incredible with them AND WITHOUT them.

I love your take on it. And I used to get so irritated with those people that thought only FM with B/N was the only FMac. It's so ignorant and dismissive to think such a thing.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"

Last edited by jbrownsjr : 01-13-2019 at 12:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-13-2019, 01:27 PM
BLY BLY is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 1,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
MTM is certainly a Masterpiece album. I'm glad LB and SN aren't on it. It proves FMac is incredible with them AND WITHOUT them.

I love your take on it. And I used to get so irritated with those people that thought only FM with B/N was the only FMac. It's so ignorant and dismissive to think such a thing.
Yes I have always felt the same way. It’s what I have always loved about FLEETWOOD MAC, many great albums prior to Buckingham/Nicks...and after...(Buck\McVie)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-16-2019, 09:10 PM
ViscountViktor ViscountViktor is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 353
Default

Mystery to Me is a fantastic album, one of FM's best. There isn't a dud song on it.
__________________
So I close my eyes softly, till I become that part of the wind...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo
$20.0
1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo picture1992 Press Photo Gregg Wright Tom Lily Brett Tuggle Billy Thorpe Bekka Bramlett
$19.99
1992 Press Photo Gregg Wright Tom Lily Brett Tuggle Billy Thorpe Bekka Bramlett picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved