The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 12-20-2018, 12:36 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 6,735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks Fan View Post
My point was they said Lindsey didn't want to play pre 75 material and that this was going to be a different show so why do cover songs when you have so much material that you have never played from your own band?
The “covers” are songs from the new guys’ past works. But, really, look at some of the early 1975 set: a Chicken Shack cover, a Duster Bennet cover, two Buckingham Nicks covers, and a Curtis Brothers cover.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/SteveMacD/fm2014_zps5c60d7b9.jpg
THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-20-2018, 02:32 PM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 13,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The “covers” are songs from the new guys’ past works.
In Fleetwood Mac, they're covers, not covers with quotation marks (just as Jumping at Shadows was a cover).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
But, really, look at some of the early 1975 set: a Chicken Shack cover, a Duster Bennet cover, two Buckingham Nicks covers, and a Curtis Brothers cover.
Absolutely fine. Nothing wrong with covers. Some adventurous bands are famous for their covers. It's nice to approach a cover with a little more personal voice than Fleetwood Mac sometimes shows. But more important, my issue is not with covers (I often love covers) but with a core of hits and concert songs that remains static tour after tour. This current configuration of the band had every judicial opportunity—and every reason—to invent a new core and throw the stale past to the wind. It did not. It opted to once again deliver The Chain, Dreams, Say You Love Me, Everywhere, Rhiannon, Gypsy, Landslide, You Make Loving Fun, Gold Dust Woman, Go Your Own Way, and Don't Stop with the same performance approach and even the same spatial place in the set.

The new stuff—Black Magic Woman, I Got You, Tell Me All the Things You Do, Don't Dream It's Over, Free Fallin', All Over Again—was mildly refreshing. But it was obviously presented as addenda to the old set, not a substitute. The 2018 set was created because it was familiar to audiences, not because it was new to them.

Bands don't just exist onstage, too. What's with the latest CD anthology? Actually, Lindsey's anthology is also stale (but less so because his material is less familiar). I don't see the point in these things. They're repackagings and they serve a marketing purpose, not an aesthetic purpose. How many years does one need to rehash one's own contributions to pop culture before one is satisfied?

After casting off an iconic member and hiring two new members, Fleetwood Mac had every good reason to reinvent itself. It did not. It's merely pretending to be what it has been for forty years already. With this band mindset, we'll see whether a new album comes out of all this—new albums generally come out of a collective desire to forge ahead down some other road, the road less traveled.
__________________

Last edited by David; 12-20-2018 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-20-2018, 03:12 PM
sodascouts's Avatar
sodascouts sodascouts is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Memphis area
Posts: 4,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The “covers” are songs from the new guys’ past works. But, really, look at some of the early 1975 set: a Chicken Shack cover, a Duster Bennet cover, two Buckingham Nicks covers, and a Curtis Brothers cover.
You can't tell me it's not a sad statement when people say highlights of a Fleetwood Mac show are Free Fallin' and Don't Dream It's Over.
__________________
- Nancy

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-20-2018, 03:17 PM
AncientQueen AncientQueen is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
You can't tell me it's not a sad statement when people say highlights of a Fleetwood Mac show are Free Fallin' and Don't Dream It's Over.
THIS!!!
I couldn't agree more.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-20-2018, 03:19 PM
bwboy bwboy is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
This current configuration of the band had every judicial opportunity—and every reason—to invent a new core and throw the stale past to the wind. It did not. It opted to once again deliver The Chain, Dreams, Say You Love Me, Everywhere, Rhiannon, Gypsy, Landslide, You Make Loving Fun, Gold Dust Woman, Go Your Own Way, and Don't Stop with the same performance approach and even the same spatial place in the set.

The new stuff—Black Magic Woman, I Got You, Tell Me All the Things You Do, Don't Dream It's Over, Free Fallin', All Over Again—was mildly refreshing. But it was obviously presented as addenda to the old set, not a substitute. The 2018 set was created because it was familiar to audiences, not because it was new to them.

After casting off an iconic member and hiring two new members, Fleetwood Mac had every good reason to reinvent itself. It did not. It's merely pretending to be what it has been for forty years already. With this band mindset, we'll see whether a new album comes out of all this—new albums generally come out of a collective desire to forge ahead down some other road, the road less traveled.
David, I understand what you're saying. As a FM fan of several years, and having seen them several times (well, 5 different tours, anyway), I would love to hear deep cuts instead of the usual 10 songs. But there is no way the new lineup could have been expected to not sing those 10 songs we all know so well. They are a new band and had to prove themselves to the audience, and the best way to do that was to include the hits or standards we all know. Now, if Lindsey had still been in the band, it REALLY would have been brave to do deep cuts. But can you imagine a FM concert where Lindsey doesn't sing Go Your Own Way? He even sings it on his solo tours! Stevie not singing Dreams? Christine not singing You Make Loving Fun? No way would that go over well with the audience. So if the new lineup hadn't sang the standards/hits, the tour would have bombed. I think they did a fantastic job with the set list this tour, they gave us the best of both worlds!

If Lindsey was still in FM, I would have loved to see them in a more intimate venue, with the deep cuts we'd all die to hear, like Brown Eyes, Over and Over, Save Me a Place, Storms, That's Alright, Mystified, Crystal, I Don't Want to Know, That's All For Everyone, etc. These songs wouldn't go over well in a big venue, as we could see by how Storms was received on this tour. But to expect ANY lineup of FM to tour arenas and NOT sing the hits is unrealistic.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-20-2018, 04:38 PM
bwboy bwboy is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
You can't tell me it's not a sad statement when people say highlights of a Fleetwood Mac show are Free Fallin' and Don't Dream It's Over.
AncientQueen and sodascouts, I see your point, but the way I see it, a powerful performance is a powerful performance, regardless of who wrote the song. And those two performances were powerful and beautiful. What's interesting to me about that is I've always loved Don't Dream It's Over and always disliked Free Falling, especially the recorded version by Stevie. Neil singing DDIO and then Stevie coming in halfway and singing it with him was beautiful and genius. Those songs were highlights to me because they were so unexpected. They were highlights, but not the only highlights.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-21-2018, 10:57 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 6,735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
In Fleetwood Mac, they're covers, not covers with quotation marks (just as Jumping at Shadows was a cover).
Sorry, but Neil Finn singing a song he wrote isn’t a cover (or even unexpected with DDIO). And, Mike had a hand in developing “Free Fallin’” with Tom and played the iconic 12-string guitar. It would be weirder if they didn’t do at least one Tom Petty song with Mike and Stevie in the band together.

Quote:
But more important, my issue is not with covers (I often love covers) but with a core of hits and concert songs that remains static tour after tour. This current configuration of the band had every judicial opportunity—and every reason—to invent a new core and throw the stale past to the wind.
Quote:
The new stuff—Black Magic Woman, I Got You, Tell Me All the Things You Do, Don't Dream It's Over, Free Fallin', All Over Again—was mildly refreshing. But it was obviously presented as addenda to the old set, not a substitute. The 2018 set was created because it was familiar to audiences, not because it was new to them.
I don’t disagree, but going THAT rogue isn’t in their DNA, and never really was. Even during the Time band shows, they did a lot of the same core songs (The Chain, Oh Well, GDW, SYLM, YMLF, World Turning, GYOW, and Don’t Stop).

That said, not having Lindsey in the band obviously lowered the number of core songs in the set. Not nearly enough. I would be just as happy that MM and SHN get dropped (GYOW isn’t going anywhere). But the new stuff was worth it to me, especially TMATTYD, BMW, Hypnotized, AAA, and DDIO. I absolutely loved hearing Christine do some soloing and playing off Mike. Stevie was probably the most invested/engaged in the performances I saw than I’ve ever seen from her before.

And, I still got to hear Lindsey’s core songs at his show.

Nobody died and the songs still got played.

Quote:
Bands don't just exist onstage, too. What's with the latest CD anthology? Actually, Lindsey's anthology is also stale (but less so because his material is less familiar). I don't see the point in these things. They're repackagings and they serve a marketing purpose, not an aesthetic purpose. How many years does one need to rehash one's own contributions to pop culture before one is satisfied?
As long as the label thinks people will buy it, I guess. I prefer Lindsey’s because he’s never had one and there was something new. I’m very disappointed Fleetwood Mac didn’t record at least one new song for that set.

I agree that there could/should have been more reinvention, especially with the caliber of talent they brought in. However, I’m not sure it would have been that good right out of the gate. For example, Neil and Mike seemed to have developed a chemistry on the tour that wasn’t there initially. I’m still curious to see where it goes.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/SteveMacD/fm2014_zps5c60d7b9.jpg
THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-22-2018, 12:09 AM
DownOnRodeo's Avatar
DownOnRodeo DownOnRodeo is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 3,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Neil and Mike seemed to have developed a chemistry on the tour that wasn’t there initially. I’m still curious to see where it goes.
Down the toilet.

#crowded_knobs
__________________
Joe
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-22-2018, 12:43 AM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 6,735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Down the toilet.

#crowded_knobs
Or, if nothing comes from Fleetwood Mac, maybe the New Hearbreakers...
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/SteveMacD/fm2014_zps5c60d7b9.jpg
THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo
$20.0
1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved