The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-19-2014, 05:53 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 6,743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Welch View Post
The last one in 1975.
Nope. "Heroes Are Hard To Find" was released on September 13, 1974, three years and ten days after "Future Games." Bob quit the band sometime in December, 1974. His last show was December 1, 1974.



Quote:
Let's not minimize his credentials.
His credentials shouldn't be minimized, nor should they be overstated.

Quote:
Plus I am not fighting to get Bob in for your approval or your desire, but only because he card about it so much and was very hurt when he was left out. I don't really care about anyone else's opinion. But after 27 years of marriage, I KNOW what HE cared about.
That's great, Wendy. The reality is that there's a whole new generation getting interested in Fleetwood Mac who don't necessarily buy physical media. They've grown up downloading music. They can't download Bob's music. Do you understand that, Wendy? They can't (legally) download or own his music. That's destroying Bob's legacy much, much more quickly than his eye-rolling omission from a hack organization that's lost pretty much all credibility in the past ten years.

Plus, not having a new generation of fans ultimately sets what you're fighting for back. What better way to force the issue than with a new generation of fans alongside those of us who've been fans for decades.

Quote:
Also, you might be interested to know that all of those albums are gold or platinum now.
After the success Fleetwood Mac started having.

Quote:
What are your credentials anyway?
Well, I'm literate and know how to use a microfiche machine and the internet. I've read pretty much anything I could find on Bob and Fleetwood Mac.

Quote:
Because you are very misinformed.
Like saying that Bob was still actively in the band in 1975 when Mick, Stevie, Lindsey, and I think even Keith Olsen have all said that Mick contacted Lindsey about joining the band, because Bob had left, when Lindsey and Stevie were having their New Year's Eve party. That's an easily verifiable FACT.

Quote:
Just like you said, Christine played with them in the studio, you are also misinformed about when Bob was called to be in the band or decided to leave.
Christine played on 1968's "Mr. Wonderful," sang some harmony on "Then Play On," and clearly sang harmonies throughout "Kiln House." Jeremy Spencer even said that it was she, not John, who co-wrote "Station Man." So, sorry Wendy, I'm right that Christine played with them in the studio as a guest musician.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/SteveMacD/fm2014_zps5c60d7b9.jpg
THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-19-2014, 06:16 PM
Wendy Welch Wendy Welch is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 108
Default Must Disagree

Must disagree with your timeline. Stevie and Lindsey were already joining the band when Bob left and Mick and FM begged him to stay too.

All of your facts are not correct because I still have the original contracts, no matter what you have read on the internet.

Also, please, I must clarify one thing to this site. I never meant to imply that only Bob's fans and friends were blocked. Just that they were the people that contacted me. I am sure there are others too. I would hope you would be a little more inclusive with all FM fans.

I have never been called a lunatic before, but that's your opinion and there's always a first time, but you can go on my facebook and see what many have said over the past 1 1/2 years about it, besides the personal messages I have received, especially just recently. So I don't believe I have made this up or that one person has made me think that quite a few people have not been accepted on The Ledge.

And if you re-read my comments previous to saying that Chris played in the band earlier, I was not saying that that was untrue. Just that most people don't know that Chris was on a few cuts and they also don't know when Bob really joined the band prior to the summer of 71 as stated. Please don't misunderstand my comments as I hope I have cleared them up above.

Last edited by Wendy Welch; 03-19-2014 at 06:25 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-19-2014, 06:24 PM
chiliD's Avatar
chiliD chiliD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: In the backseat of a Studebaker
Posts: 9,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
His last show was December 1, 1974.
Ummm...no. I saw them at Long Beach Arena later than that date (I remember because it was within a couple of days of Christmas break of my 2nd year of college; but I don't recall the exact date). Climax Blues Band was the opening act. I believe it was a last minute added show, because it was announced that tickets would go on sale just a couple of days before the show.
__________________
Among God's creations, two, the dog and the guitar, have taken all the sizes and all the shapes in order not to be separated from the man.---Andres Segovia
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-19-2014, 06:26 PM
welcomechris welcomechris is offline
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: In My House
Posts: 1,718
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Welch View Post
Must disagree with your timeline. Stevie and Lindsey were already joining the band when Bob left and Mick and FM begged him to stay too.

All of your facts are not correct because I still have the original contracts, no matter what you have read on the internet.

Also, please, I must clarify one thing to this site. I never meant to imply that only Bob's fans and friends were blocked. Just that they were the people that contacted me. I am sure there are others too. I would hope you would be a little more inclusive with all FM fans.

I have never been called a lunatic before, but that's your opinion and there's always a first time, but you can go on my facebook and see what many have side over the past 1 1/2 years about it, besides the personal messages I have received, especially just recently. So I don't believe I have made this up or that one person has made me think that quite a few people have not been accepted on The Ledge.
Wendy, I'm Sorry Some People Are Treating You Like Your Just Another Person Who Knows Nothing About Bob. Stevie Herself Has Said Lindsey and Her Joined the First Day Of 1975. Mick Has Said that He Knew Bob Was Leaving So He Was Looking For A Guitar Player. I Know Fleetwood Mac was upset about Bob's Departure but Lets Face it, Even Bob Knew FM Was Going Nowhere.

Wendy, Showing Us Pictures of Some of the Contracts Would Be Great. We Would Love if You Wrote A Book About it too.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-19-2014, 06:43 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 6,743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Ummm...no. I saw them at Long Beach Arena later than that date (I remember because it was within a couple of days of Christmas break of my 2nd year of college; but I don't recall the exact date). Climax Blues Band was the opening act. I believe it was a last minute added show, because it was announced that tickets would go on sale just a couple of days before the show.
Interesting. I was just going by the calendar on the tour poster. I wonder if that show was when things went down between Bob and the band.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/SteveMacD/fm2014_zps5c60d7b9.jpg
THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-19-2014, 06:47 PM
wetcamelfood wetcamelfood is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Peabody, MA., USA
Posts: 2,048
Exclamation

From Page 3 of Bob's 1999 Q&A here:

I was reading one of the (unfortunately few) articles on the Penguin, and one of them made reference to Lindsey and Stevie's joining the band while you were still a part of it. Had you already left the band by the time L&S joined? I know you eventually worked with them, but when did you actually meet Lindsey and Stevie? (Tracy G., Stockbridge, Georgia, USA)

I "hemmed and hawed for months about whether or not I would leave FM... John Mc Vie said, " Bob it'll be the biggest mistake you'll ever make." Everybody knew that we had to find some new creative "juice". Mick had gone out to check out studios to do the next album after "Heroes..." while I was still hemming and hawing. At "Sound City" studios is where somebody played him a tape of Stevie and Lindsey as "Bucking-Ham Nicks". Mick told me about hearing their tape, and how good they were etc. At that point I could've chosen to stay in FM, and add Stevie and Lindsey to the line up. It wasn't like anybody was ASKING me to leave, and there was a moment that I thought about staying.

In case it helps?

John
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-19-2014, 07:37 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 6,743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Welch View Post
Must disagree with your timeline. Stevie and Lindsey were already joining the band when Bob left and Mick and FM begged him to stay too.
They hadn't been formally asked to join until Bob actually quit, and the one constant that is mentioned by pretty much everyone (i.e. Rolling Stone interviews from 1975, autobiographies, countless interviews) is that it was New Years Eve, 1974. Now, maybe he was technically still contractually a member of the band when Stevie and Lindsey joined, but that's minutia. Lindsey got the call at that moment because Bob had quit the band.

And, yes, I'm sure Bob knew Mick wanted to hire Lindsey, and I'm sure there was a period after Bob served notice that he was still being asked to stay in the band.

Quote:
and they also don't know when Bob really joined the band prior to the summer of 71 as stated.
Okay, Spring of 1971. Fleetwood Mac were on the road until sometime in late March/early April, 1971 with Peter Green helping them out, and the first show with Bob (per Mick's book) was June 4, 1971. So, Bob joined I'm guessing sometime in April or May, leaning more towards April to give them time to learn new material.

But, you have the contracts. What dates do you have that are different from everyone else?
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/SteveMacD/fm2014_zps5c60d7b9.jpg
THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-19-2014, 08:03 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,139
Default

The suggestion to lobby for the 71-74 albums on iTunes is a good one.

I keep waiting for a young musician or group of musicians to reinterpret Bob's material in a contemporary context.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-19-2014, 11:43 PM
Wendy Welch Wendy Welch is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 108
Default Mick's book

I also have to clarify one thing. Mick's book was just a shmooze and a coverup in some places. It was not written by him but by another. Bob and I were living together when the writer contacted Bob and didn't use a lot of what he said and changed a lot. It made Bob a bit angry. Most of all he was angry about what they said at the end of the book that Bob was writing for films and movie scores. Straight up lie! He was proud of the fact that he was starting a new band called "The Touch" with Dallas Taylor, the drummer from Crosby Still Nash & Young and others that played out and was managed by Noel Monk, the prior manager of Van Halen. Bob couldn't understand why they would make that up about films and not say what he was really doing.

As you all probably know, Mick is dyslexic, and that is not a put down, just a fact. Bob used to have to look up things in the phone book for him because he couldn't get what words were in alphabetical order, and that is a common disorder that can be overcome. Mick never did overcome that and God Bless him has been very successful inspite of his handicap. But he did not write that book, nor could he have probably read it.


Also, Bob has written a book that I have in his own words, not mine. That is where I get most of my info from and also from hearing his stories for over 27 years. If I can ever get all of his business and publishing unraveled so I can move on with my life, I intend that to be my first project. As far as I tunes is concerned, he does have many songs on UTube, I tunes, etc. that can be downloaded. But the record companies have control over that, not myself or Mick or FM. The music business is very complicated. FM has to OK it, but the record company has to want to do it first. And I am no newcomer to the industry!

Last edited by Wendy Welch; 03-19-2014 at 11:58 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-19-2014, 11:56 PM
becca's Avatar
becca becca is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 939
Exclamation

Print ads and posters from the '60s and '70s often were and are wrong. I remember some book with all sorts of absolute facts based on old Marquee listings and how they were not absolute facts with printed proof from the time period. For many reasons planned appearances do not go off today. There was a great book on Liverpool's Cavern and who played there when that was pretty much totally accurate because it had a lot of input from people who were there and remembered when the printed pieces of paper were not reflective of the eventual reality that occurred. Then again, people's memories can also be wrong both individually and collectively, always best to have some caution when using facts as weapons I think... but then I've been criticized for saying things such as 'I think' or 'it seems'. (Cue the The Gambler by Kenny Rogers here).

It's painful to see people who genuinely love music and musicians upset like this. It's painful that Bob Welch was disrespected and continues to be disrespected by a few people in positions of power. I'm glad the Ventures got to play and were inducted back when they were, before it was too late. This is what is wrong though in taking something (like surfing also) which should be totally individual and artistic and make it into yet another crummy judged competition with awards and winners and losers. It brings out the worst in some people be they Christine or some extreme fans or a bunch of bean counters in offices.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-20-2014, 01:41 AM
Wendy Welch Wendy Welch is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 108
Default Apology in Order

SteveMacD, I owe you an apology. You are absolutely right about the release date of "Heroes". I am so sorry, I got confused over the fact that it was five albums and not five years. Please accept my apology. But still, I must say you are wrong about Bob's start date with FM and the date he left. But I am so glad that someone that was born three years after Bob was in Fm is such a fan.

At least give me credit for being the only wife, girlfriend or FM member that has her own site run by him or herself that knew the players and will at least engage with you, even though I do make mistakes sometimes. All the rest I stand by, and will answer the questions you have to the best of my knowledge .
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:26 AM
mylittledemon's Avatar
mylittledemon mylittledemon is offline
Moderator
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Te Aro, New Zealand
Posts: 8,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Welch View Post
I have never been called a lunatic before, but that's your opinion and there's always a first time
Wendy please don't mistake me... Regarding people who were not able to join The Ledge, you specifically asked the question "Now why would that be?"... the insinuation of which is that we're keeping Bob Welch fans off this site. That is lunacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Welch View Post
But you can go on my facebook and see what many have said over the past 1 1/2 years about it, besides the personal messages I have received, especially just recently. So I don't believe I have made this up or that one person has made me think that quite a few people have not been accepted on The Ledge.
Why would I search through 18 months of your Facebook postings? To what end? I never said I didn't believe you. If we're only talking 30 people over an 18 month period who've not been able to join, I wouldn't call that an aberration... I'd call it pretty average stats for a message board of this size. Feel free to direct such complaints to me or any of the moderators here so we can get people on board who wish to be.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-20-2014, 06:59 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 11,014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
The suggestion to lobby for the 71-74 albums on iTunes is a good one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The reality is that there's a whole new generation getting interested in Fleetwood Mac who don't necessarily buy physical media. They've grown up downloading music. They can't download Bob's music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Welch View Post
As far as I tunes is concerned, he does have many songs on UTube, I tunes, etc. that can be downloaded. But the record companies have control over that, not myself or Mick or FM. The music business is very complicated. FM has to OK it, but the record company has to want to do it first. And I am no newcomer to the industry!
if Bob's music is available on youtube, then it's available to new generations and people can download it, although it may not be the cleanest versions. but still, there's no reason to have it specifically on itunes.
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-20-2014, 07:28 PM
welcomechris welcomechris is offline
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: In My House
Posts: 1,718
Default

Most of Bob's Solo Work Is on Itunes.

No FM Albums From 1971-1974 Are On Itunes (In the US)

PS I So Happy To Be An Addicted Ledgie!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Wendy Welch Wendy Welch is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 108
Default Why would that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Wendy please don't mistake me... Regarding people who were not able to join The Ledge, you specifically asked the question "Now why would that be?"... the insinuation of which is that we're keeping Bob Welch fans off this site. That is lunacy.



Why would I search through 18 months of your Facebook postings? To what end? I never said I didn't believe you. If we're only talking 30 people over an 18 month period who've not been able to join, I wouldn't call that an aberration... I'd call it pretty average stats for a message board of this size. Feel free to direct such complaints to me or any of the moderators here so we can get people on board who wish to be.
Actually the 30 people have been in the last week on my facebook, both public and personal messages. "Why would that be?" is only asking the question, why can't they get on "The Ledge"? and what can I do to help them?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Buckingham McVie Fleetwood Autographed Strat -Nicks
$899.0
Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Buckingham McVie Fleetwood Autographed Strat -Nicks pictureThree Signed Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" Autograph (3) PSA Original 1977 -1st Press
$890.0
Three Signed Fleetwood Mac Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Lindsey Buckingham Autographed Strat. (Nicks, McVee)
$499.0
Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Lindsey Buckingham Autographed Strat. (Nicks, McVee) pictureFleetwood Mac Vintage Jacket 70s/80s Rock Band From England.
$450.0
Fleetwood Mac Vintage Jacket 70s/80s Rock Band From England. pictureSIGNED - Mick Fleetwood "Mac" Drumhead 12" + Pic
$400.0
SIGNED - Mick Fleetwood



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved