The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 10-09-2009, 06:03 AM
chriskisn's Avatar
chriskisn chriskisn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
Now, now, now. Don't lump all of us into one pile!!

I'm not anti-Time, nor really anti-Dave Walker. I just don't think Time lives up to its potential given the personnel/talent present. (Dave Walker is a topic better left for another time.)

I personally very much like Dreamin' The Dream and would agree with you that it fits into (but not as good as) Songbird and Beautiful Child (one of my all time favourite Stevie songs with or without FM). See there? We agree again!!
I've been listening to Time again today (damn this thread I've listened to Time five times in three days now (as well as working through all of my Heart albums on the way to and from work), and really really starting to like the album (not that I ever disliked it).

I've come to the following conclusions:

1. As mentioned in my previous post, Dreamin' The Dream is one of the most beautiful FM songs since 1975 if not never
2. Christine's songs are really good on here (except for All Over Again ), they aren't the usual saccharine commercial pop crap that Christine produced post '75. (sorry Christine fans).
3. I Wonder Why is probably the best Dave Mason song he had done up until that point (and gave us a hint of the great stuff to come years later on 26 Letters, 12 Notes)
4. ChiliD is absolutely correct about the guitar solo at the end of I Wonder Why. As much as I love Bekka she spoils the end of the song.
5. Billy Burnette is sadly under-represented on this album
6. The best thing about being a Fleetwood Mac fan is the ever evolving, ever changing band, 42 years, 16 members, all contributing to the single most amazing band of all time, a rich tapestry of music.
7. Lets hope the current lineup isn't the last. What new and exciting talent and music can Mr Fleetwood and Mr McVie offer us in the future?

Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-09-2009, 08:56 AM
TrueFaith77's Avatar
TrueFaith77 TrueFaith77 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York City!
Posts: 4,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I've been listening to Time again today (damn this thread I've listened to Time five times in three days now (as well as working through all of my Heart albums on the way to and from work), and really really starting to like the album (not that I ever disliked it).

I've come to the following conclusions:

1. As mentioned in my previous post, Dreamin' The Dream is one of the most beautiful FM songs since 1975 if not never
2. Christine's songs are really good on here (except for All Over Again ), they aren't the usual saccharine commercial pop crap that Christine produced post '75. (sorry Christine fans).
3. I Wonder Why is probably the best Dave Mason song he had done up until that point (and gave us a hint of the great stuff to come years later on 26 Letters, 12 Notes)
4. ChiliD is absolutely correct about the guitar solo at the end of I Wonder Why. As much as I love Bekka she spoils the end of the song.
5. Billy Burnette is sadly under-represented on this album
6. The best thing about being a Fleetwood Mac fan is the ever evolving, ever changing band, 42 years, 16 members, all contributing to the single most amazing band of all time, a rich tapestry of music.
7. Lets hope the current lineup isn't the last. What new and exciting talent and music can Mr Fleetwood and Mr McVie offer us in the future?

Those are all fascinating and helpful responses. I would especially like to touch on the Christine comment. While I don't consider her post-75 songs to be "saccharine commercial pop crap" (), I know what you mean. The Rumours+ songs are different than her pre-Rumours songs. And I agree that her songs here seem to be a return to her pre-Rumours approach in terms of subject matter, tone, "narrative" approach. So that's interesting to think about. How, exactly, did Christine's music change and why. . . (thoughts for another time)

As for whether this is the last Mac line-up. I, perhaps controversially, agree that it is a shame that currently the whole thing revolves around Stevie and Lindsey's willingness to participate. I would really be interested if during one of these interviews, John and Mick were confronted with this fact: why is that? Don't get me wrong. If Stevie and Lindsey said to Mick and John: "We want to record an album every year for the rest of our lives with you guys" then that would, for me, be the best possible scenario for the band. But since they don't seem to be willing to, I wonder if John and/or Mick also don't want to record new material with any regularity under the Mac name (Mick seems to keep himself busy during the off years/decades ). I wish they could say to Lindsey/Stevie: "Feel free to come knockin' any time you want and we'll include you in the fold; in the meantime, we'll be recording and performing gigs with Chris Isaak, Iris Dement, An Pierle, and Koen Gisen."
__________________
"They love each other so much, they think they hate each other."

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-09-2009, 09:17 AM
chriskisn's Avatar
chriskisn chriskisn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
As for whether this is the last Mac line-up. I, perhaps controversially, agree that it is a shame that currently the whole thing revolves around Stevie and Lindsey's willingness to participate. I would really be interested if during one of these interviews, John and Mick were confronted with this fact: why is that? Don't get me wrong. If Stevie and Lindsey said to Mick and John: "We want to record an album every year for the rest of our lives with you guys" then that would, for me, be the best possible scenario for the band. But since they don't seem to be willing to, I wonder if John and/or Mick also don't want to record new material with any regularity under the Mac name (Mick seems to keep himself busy during the off years/decades ). I wish they could say to Lindsey/Stevie: "Feel free to come knockin' any time you want and we'll include you in the fold; in the meantime, we'll be recording and performing gigs with Chris Isaak, Iris Dement, An Pierle, and Koen Gisen."
On this point I wonder whether the reluctance is more on the part of Mr McVie than Mr Fleetwood to carry on with FM. In the very beginning of Mick Fleetwood's Blues Band we saw John McVie as the bass player but that very quickly changed. Perhaps John, now that he is 65 (if memory serves me correct) has done a Christine and decided to seek retirement. Perhaps he came on this tour because it was Stevie and Lindsey coming back with them, but maybe he doesn't want to do anything new.

It isn't something I keep up with (I leave that to John - wetcamelfood) but have Fleetwood or McVie actually made guest appearances on other people's albums any time recently?

We know that Stevie is probably at the end of her useful career life, although as her fans we think she can give us so much more, I'm not sure she wants to now. Lindsey will undoubtedly turn out more solo albums, as much as I don't personally like his solo work that much, he seems to have found a new creative energy in his senior years.

Mick of course did write in his book (I think) that he would still be doing this when he was 80. I have no doubt that while is still healthy he'll keep turning up in various bands, perhaps because he loves the music or perhaps because he loves the money. That too is an argument for another day.

We know that there will be more from the MFBB and Island Rumours Band (well if Rick is to be believed and who would doubt him), but beyond that, who knows?

Oh, and to address your comment about it being a shame that the whole thing revolves around Lindsey and Stevie's willingness to participate - I just think it is a shame the whole thing revolves around Lindsey and Stevie

(You'd never know I love Miss Nicks would you?)
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-09-2009, 10:41 AM
wetcamelfood wetcamelfood is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Peabody, MA., USA
Posts: 2,048
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
It isn't something I keep up with (I leave that to John - wetcamelfood) but have Fleetwood or McVie actually made guest appearances on other people's albums any time recently?
Mick does the odd one or two a year but John doesn't really do much of this at all, let alone recently.

John
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-09-2009, 04:35 PM
seekerj seekerj is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
That is probably what the Peter Green and Bob Welch fans said in 1975
Some of them still are in 2009.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10-09-2009, 08:00 PM
sjpdg's Avatar
sjpdg sjpdg is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 513
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
And my Time would be something like this

1. Blue Denim
2. Talkin┤ To My Heart
3. Sooner Or Later
4. Honey Love
5. Love Is Like A River
6. Walk Another Mile
7. Rose Garden
8. Nights In Estoril
9. Intuition
10. Poor Souls In Love
11. Street Angel
12. All Over Again

Interesting. Here's what I'd propose, without Stevie and Dave Mason, but with Rick Vito.

Walk Another Mile (from Rick's "King of Hearts")
Hollywood (Some Other Kind Of Town)
Talkin' To My Heart
Desiree (with Rick/Bekka instead of Stevie) (from "King of Hearts")
Dreamin' The Dream
Sooner Or Later
Poor Souls In Love (from "King of Hearts")
Winds Of Change (should have been the first single off this album in my opinion)
Nights In Estoril (Rick would kill the solo on this one)
Intuition (from "King of Hearts")
I Got It In For You (would be much better with Rick playing the slide solo)
All Over Again
These Strange Times

That would be my "dream" "Time" line up and I think it would have gone farther as an incarnation of the band as well but that's all just supposition on my part.
__________________
Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to!!!!!

Last edited by sjpdg; 10-10-2009 at 03:23 AM.. Reason: misspellings
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-09-2009, 08:08 PM
sjpdg's Avatar
sjpdg sjpdg is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 513
Default

Here's another thought about this album that I'm sure some of you have already thought of and perhaps even discussed at some point prior to my joining the forum.

There is a ton of "forshadowing imagery" in this album. Take the following examples: Cover art of an adult and a penguin chick. Bekka's "Winds of Change", Christine's songs "Do It All Over Again" and "Hollywood (Some Other Kind Of Town)", and Mick's "These Strange Times". All of these are forshadowing in one way or another. All talking about change. Mick paying tribute to the history of FM, Christine doing the same as well as saying "I'm done." and Bekka saying "this band has changed, but we are still Fleetwood Mac".

I think it was an attempt to move the band from the "old" Buckingham/Nicks era, into a "new" one, albeit with Dave Mason and Bekka instead of the BTM line-up minus Stevie. I would agree that Billy is poorly represented on the album, the guitar solos are not anywhere near where they could be and the Dave Mason material is weak. It does not sound like a collaborative effort by the band, but a compilation of songs created individually and put together to create an album.

Any other thoughts on this idea?
__________________
Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-12-2009, 05:19 PM
chiliD's Avatar
chiliD chiliD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: In the backseat of a Studebaker
Posts: 9,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
You have also just described most of the albums Eric Clapton has released in the past twenty years too...

{sound of screeching tires}


Say WHAT?!?!?!? Au contraire!!!!! Maybe his albums in the '70s after 461 Ocean Blvd (through Another Ticket) he purposely shunned "Guitar God" status, but from Behind The Sun onward, Eric was SMOKIN' through those vinyl grooves and digital bytes in the studio...and especially on his albums since & including Journeyman.


AS I HAVE JUST TAKEN A LOOK AT THE CALENDAR, HAPPY 14TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE RELEASE OF TIME!!!
__________________
Among God's creations, two, the dog and the guitar, have taken all the sizes and all the shapes in order not to be separated from the man.---Andres Segovia

Last edited by chiliD; 10-12-2009 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-12-2009, 07:48 PM
chriskisn's Avatar
chriskisn chriskisn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
{sound of screeching tires}


Say WHAT?!?!?!? Au contraire!!!!! Maybe his albums in the '70s after 461 Ocean Blvd (through Another Ticket) he purposely shunned "Guitar God" status, but from Behind The Sun onward, Eric was SMOKIN' through those vinyl grooves and digital bytes in the studio...and especially on his albums since & including Journeyman.
I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion on Clapton because we can do that elsewhere, but I offer you Pilgrim, Reptile and the Rush Soundtrack (all post-Journeyman) and ask - are you sure we are talking about the same guy? I'll grant you this though, August and Journeyman were two of his better albums.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-12-2009, 08:20 PM
chriskisn's Avatar
chriskisn chriskisn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion on Clapton because we can do that elsewhere, but I offer you Pilgrim, Reptile and the Rush Soundtrack (all post-Journeyman) and ask - are you sure we are talking about the same guy? I'll grant you this though, August and Journeyman were two of his better albums.
I just found this picture on the Dave Mason page on Facebook. So that is the problem with Time. Dave and Billy should have been out promoting the damn album and they were gambling away their earnings...

Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-13-2009, 01:32 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I just found this picture on the Dave Mason page on Facebook. So that is the problem with Time. Dave and Billy should have been out promoting the damn album and they were gambling away their earnings...

hahahahahaa!!!
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-13-2009, 05:49 PM
chiliD's Avatar
chiliD chiliD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: In the backseat of a Studebaker
Posts: 9,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I just found this picture on the Dave Mason page on Facebook. So that is the problem with Time. Dave and Billy should have been out promoting the damn album and they were gambling away their earnings...


Nah...they were gambling with their "per diem" money...trying to get upgrades from the casino/hotels for better meals & accomodations.

__________________
Among God's creations, two, the dog and the guitar, have taken all the sizes and all the shapes in order not to be separated from the man.---Andres Segovia
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-28-2009, 08:18 PM
gypsy4life gypsy4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ...in the crystaline knowledge of you...
Posts: 886
Default

I bought the cassette tape at Goodwill last week for fifty cents. I still haven't took it out of the bag. It makes me feel like a dirty traitor! Odd huh?

Last edited by gypsy4life; 11-01-2009 at 01:09 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-29-2009, 07:27 PM
TrueFaith77's Avatar
TrueFaith77 TrueFaith77 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York City!
Posts: 4,762
Default

hmm. "dirty traitor" or "dirty trader"?
__________________
"They love each other so much, they think they hate each other."

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 11-01-2009, 01:10 PM
gypsy4life gypsy4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ...in the crystaline knowledge of you...
Posts: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
hmm. "dirty traitor" or "dirty trader"?
LOL! I see your point!! Fixed it, though
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

FLEETWOOD MAC SIGNED RUMOURS LP VINYL RECORD ALBUM MICK CHRISTINE MCVIE +JSA COA
$399.99
FLEETWOOD MAC SIGNED RUMOURS LP VINYL RECORD ALBUM MICK CHRISTINE MCVIE +JSA COA pictureFLEETWOOD MAC MICK FLEETWOOD + CHRISTINE MCVIE SIGNED RUMOURS VINYL ALBUM
$299.99
FLEETWOOD MAC MICK FLEETWOOD + CHRISTINE MCVIE SIGNED RUMOURS VINYL ALBUM pictureFLEETWOOD MAC STEVIE NICKS MICK CHRISTINE MCVIE LINDSEY GRAMMY AWARD POSTER
$24.99
FLEETWOOD MAC STEVIE NICKS MICK CHRISTINE MCVIE LINDSEY GRAMMY AWARD POSTER picture1984 Press Photo Singer Christine McVie - pip13335
$19.88
1984 Press Photo Singer Christine McVie - pip13335 picturePress Photo Musician Christine McVie in closeup portrait - sap07834
$15.96
Press Photo Musician Christine McVie in closeup portrait - sap07834 picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
┬ę 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved