Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default A feijoada for Jeremy Spencer

From Jeremy's blog:
Quote:
first went to Brazil in 1975 at the behest of a musician friend, Samuel Halbert, a Texan country singer who was doing missionary work there at the time. We recorded an album together with Os Meninos de Deus called Amor Nunca Falha, and it fared fair. At least, the outstanding track, ‘Eu Vou Seguir’ made it to numero um in Portugal, written and sung by Fernando Adour, the Polydor producer who had befriended us. A fun-loving Brazilian who I enjoyed working with on music.

While there, Sam introduced me to Feijao or Feijoada, the staple Brazilian dish of black beans and rice (and sundry other ingredients!). At first, I couldn’t stand it, and wondered what all the fuss was about. He told me that the second or third time is the charm. That proved to be true and to this day, Brazilian black beans and rice (with all the trimmings) has been my birthday meal of choice.

It reminds me of a funny song I would hear playing from the sound systems in the restaurants and houses of Rio de Janeiro at the time!

Mais agua no feijao, que cegou mais um,

Que chegou mais um,

Que chegou mais um!

The song encapsulated the Brazilian custom to stretch the boiling beans for any unexpected visitors, by saying:

More water on the beans, someone else has come

Someone else has come!
http://blog.jeremyspencer.com/

Feijoada recipe: http://www.copacabana.info/feijoada.html

To be honest, I’m shamelessly trying to get Jeremy’s attention for a few questions.

Being Brazilian, I was surprised to know Mr. Spencer has spent some time in my country. So, Jeremy, if you read this, would you mind telling us a little about your Brazilian experience? How long you have been in Brazil? Which cities you come to know? What are your impressions about the country? And about brazilian music? Do you like it? Any brazilian musician in particular? Hope you make some gigs here some time in the future.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

I want to know how to get that album as well.

John
Old 10-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
I want to know how to get that album as well.

John
I may be wrong, but I don't think it was released in cd format.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
I may be wrong, but I don't think it was released in cd format.
Heck, I'll take the vinyl (if I can find it somewhere, getting nowhere on Google with this).

John
Old 10-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Heck, I'll take the vinyl (if I can find it somewhere, getting nowhere on Google with this).

John
Try google.com.br although I don't know how good your Portuguese is???
Old 10-02-2011, 05:12 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Try google.com.br although I don't know how good your Portuguese is???
A good shot would be www.mercadolivre.com,br . It's a e-bay like brazilian site. But I wouldn't have high expectations, seems it is a bit hard to find item. Good luck with the hunt. And if you need any help with the language, I would be glad to help.

A downloadable version can be found here: http://brnuggets.blogspot.com/2008/0...nca-falha.html
Old 10-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
A good shot would be www.mercadolivre.com,br . It's a e-bay like brazilian site. But I wouldn't have high expectations, seems it is a bit hard to find item. Good luck with the hunt. And if you need any help with the language, I would be glad to help.

A downloadable version can be found here: http://brnuggets.blogspot.com/2008/0...nca-falha.html
Thanks, check your PMs.

John
Old 10-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

John is used to searching for hard to find items. Just don't mention "Songs for Your Enjoyment"
Old 10-03-2011, 06:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
John is used to searching for hard to find items. Just don't mention "Songs for Your Enjoyment"
Ah yes, I don't think I'll ever catch that one.

John
Old 10-03-2011, 06:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ah yes, I don't think I'll ever catch that one.

John
I do look for you when I'm on places like eBay or GEMM, and I do Google search it occasionally on Google UK. (I do the same for the Seven Souls album). There must be copies somewhere....perhaps?
Old 10-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
I do look for you when I'm on places like eBay or GEMM, and I do Google search it occasionally on Google UK. (I do the same for the Seven Souls album). There must be copies somewhere....perhaps?
Well I guess there were only 500 copies pressed of the Cub Scout album so I'll be surprised if I ever come across an original of that but I am surprised the 7S album has been so elusive as they did have a cult following in N Calif...

John
Old 10-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
I do look for you when I'm on places like eBay or GEMM, and I do Google search it occasionally on Google UK. (I do the same for the Seven Souls album).
Meant to say, thanks for this Chris.

Anyways, regarding the original thought on this thread, if you read this Jeremy, if you could list any other recordings you've appeared on through the years like this one that we may not know about, please let us know the names of the albums/singles etc.

John
Old 10-13-2011, 02:53 AM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up About Brazil

Quote:
From Jeremy's blog:

http://blog.jeremyspencer.com/

Feijoada recipe: http://www.copacabana.info/feijoada.html

To be honest, I’m shamelessly trying to get Jeremy’s attention for a few questions.

Being Brazilian, I was surprised to know Mr. Spencer has spent some time in my country. So, Jeremy, if you read this, would you mind telling us a little about your Brazilian experience? How long you have been in Brazil? Which cities you come to know? What are your impressions about the country? And about brazilian music? Do you like it? Any brazilian musician in particular? Hope you make some gigs here some time in the future.

Thanks in advance.
Tudo bem, Muddy,
Deus te abencoe. Sorry for the delayed reply. It's a big question and quite a few of them.
I lived in Brazil from 1975 -77, and from 1990-98.
I lived in Rio (Baha, Campo Grande, Grajau, Praca Seca and Taquara). Sao Paulo and visited Belo Horizonte and Porto Allegre.
Rio is fun'loving, free and laid back -- tudo azul y santa paix de Deus! Sao Paulo is more work-oriented.
I liked Daniella Mercury.
That's it in short!
Just had an invitation for a private gig there next year in June.
Ate logo.
Jeremy.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post
Tudo bem, Muddy,
Deus te abencoe. Sorry for the delayed reply. It's a big question and quite a few of them.
I lived in Brazil from 1975 -77, and from 1990-98.
I lived in Rio (Baha, Campo Grande, Grajau, Praca Seca and Taquara). Sao Paulo and visited Belo Horizonte and Porto Allegre.
Rio is fun'loving, free and laid back -- tudo azul y santa paix de Deus! Sao Paulo is more work-oriented.
I liked Daniella Mercury.
That's it in short!
Just had an invitation for a private gig there next year in June.
Ate logo.
Jeremy.
Olá Jeremy. Tudo bem comigo, espero que com você também. Muito obrigado pelas respostas.

Thank you very much for your answers. Very nice to know some of your impressions about my country. Also is good to know you will be here again next year, ven it will be for a a private gig.

I will keep an eye at your blog. Maybe some day you will play near Belo Horizonte. In that case I invite you for a homemade feijoada.

Best regards,

Luciano