User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I sympathize with him on that, but if I’m being honest, Stevie may have a point about his production style. It is fairly sui generis and not necessarily appropriate for her songs. I’ve listened to some of the demos, and I can see where she would want something more simple and straight forward. “Silver Girl” is a good example. It didn’t need to be that produced. However, she should have been more involved with that album if she wanted something different for her songs.
I agree. I've always thought her displeasure with some of SYW songs had a big part in her not wanting to get back in the studio with him as producer. I myself even wondered that the BuckVie album would be a lot like Say You Will (which personally I think is fine as an album, not remarkable or anything, just some songs are overproduced) so I was very pleasantly surprised it. I think he reeled it in a little bit and Christine likely made it clear what she wanted so the album turned out great if you ask me. Better than Say You Will, reminds me a lot of Mirage.
I think had Stevie given him the chance, he could've done nice things on her songs but she would not budge.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I agree. I've always thought her displeasure with some of SYW songs had a big part in her not wanting to get back in the studio with him as producer. I myself even wondered that the BuckVie album would be a lot like Say You Will (which personally I think is fine as an album, not remarkable or anything, just some songs are overproduced) so I was very pleasantly surprised it. I think he reeled it in a little bit and Christine likely made it clear what she wanted so the album turned out great if you ask me. Better than Say You Will, reminds me a lot of Mirage.
I think had Stevie given him the chance, he could've done nice things on her songs but she would not budge.

A song like Everybody Finds Out, beautifully written, would be amazing on an album like BuckVie.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I sympathize with him on that, but if I’m being honest, Stevie may have a point about his production style. It is fairly sui generis and not necessarily appropriate for her songs. I’ve listened to some of the demos, and I can see where she would want something more simple and straight forward. “Silver Girl” is a good example. It didn’t need to be that produced. However, she should have been more involved with that album if she wanted something different for her songs.
If you go back and listen to her songs on Say You will LB did a great job. Silver Girl is not a great song and LB did as much as he could with it.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
If you go back and listen to her songs on Say You will LB did a great job. Silver Girl is not a great song and LB did as much as he could with it.
Agreed. I think the main problem with SYW is the running order.

And Silver Girl was just awful. So nasal and lacks melody imo.

This album needed to be edited. Not much wrong with the production.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Agreed. I think the main problem with SYW is the running order.

And Silver Girl was just awful. So nasal and lacks melody imo.

This album needed to be edited. Not much wrong with the production.
To be fair, I'd argue several of the songs were overproduced; Illume had those distracting weird voices; Say Goodbye had the unnaturally sped up guitars needlessly taking away from the song; most infamously, Smile At You was downright ruined.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
To be fair, I'd argue several of the songs were overproduced; Illume had those distracting weird voices; Say Goodbye had the unnaturally sped up guitars needlessly taking away from the song; most infamously, Smile At You was downright ruined.
I was never a huge fan of that album, but if you paired it down to one it would have been really good. Yes Illume had those wierd voices and I agree they were bad, but the song just isn't that great. It's got a bout 3 notes in it. Say Goodbye should have been done closer to they way they performed it live. But he did a great job on some of her other songs. I liked Smile at you, thought he made it more interesting.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
IA, those were some of the worst of the bunch in terms of production. The others of her songs were mostly fine and I actually really liked Thrown Down and Goodbye Baby.
IMO the worst song was Say You Will itself but that's not because of the production...the song itself is just awful. It sounds like a kindergarteners rhyme on crack.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Silver Girl drags, and if you listen to her demo in the documentary, he didn't actually change it much from her demo. She doesn't bring plinky piano demos in anymore to him, she spends time with her other musicians to bring more fleshed out production ideas to him. Her demo had flute on it, and he changed that to some sort of synthesized keyboard that sort of mimicked a high flute-y sound and played almost just what was on her demo. So it was one of her new found drone-y songs (she would repeat the same style on Cheaper Than Free and even on You May Be The One -- but Dave salvaged the latter one with his acoustic guitar; CTF was beyond salvage). It's like her "poems" are just long lists of words anymore. That's why I like Destiny Rules (even tho she cribs the same lines in Illume)-- he did a great job on DR with the guitar.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He basically had carte blanche within the confides of being in a band to do whatever he wanted. That’s a hell of an opportunity/outlet. The sad thing is that not only did he not appreciate it, he resented and felt held back by it.
Thank you!!! I get so tired of hearing Lindsey talk about the "machine" that is Fleetwood Mac. He wanted his freedom, he wanted to work on solo material and on and on and on. Honestly, I can't remember him ever saying how much he appreciates Fleetwood Mac, how much he enjoys being in Fleetwood Mac, how he wouldn't trade it for anything. Instead, the closest he can come is to say I'm sad because we have always worked through the "disfunction." Then of course, the plug..."everything else is turned into a positive." Oh yes, your precious solo material, lest we forget.

How about saying something positive about the band? How about saying how much they have given you rather than the other way around.

Honestly, I like Lindsey, he's *close* to being my favorite member and yes, he is by far the nicest and most generous when it comes to fans. But holy hell, the band must get sick and tired of hearing how they are such a thorn in his side.

I agree with Stevie. Being 70 years old, she has the right to want to be happy.

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 05-15-2018, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I hate what they did to her voice on BV. Listen to In the Meantime which was a few years before that and her warm, honeyed voice is still there. He and Froom effed around with too much pro tools crap on BV esp on her voice.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I hate what they did to her voice on BV. Listen to In the Meantime which was a few years before that and her warm, honeyed voice is still there. He and Froom effed around with too much pro tools crap on BV esp on her voice.
For me it's the complete other way around! I listened to some songs off ITM a while ago and I remember vividly noticing that her voice was different. Something about it was just... different to me. She sounded a lot more British than usual? She's obviously aging (her voice live is veeeeeeeeery hit or miss) so it makes sense that her voice would be tweaked but I honestly thought it sounds more soft/natural on the BM album.

Also it wasn't exactly a few years. It was 12 years before.

Last edited by dreamsunwind; 05-15-2018 at 11:57 PM..
Old 05-15-2018, 11:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
A few years? It was more like twelve years.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-16-2018, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah it's been quite a long while since ITM and she's no spring chicken. I think it's the other way around and that LB had to fool around with her voice to make it sound PASSIBLE. This is NOT LB's fault. I mean you have heard her voice live lately right? Love Chris, but girlfriends voice is shot AF.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliP View Post
Thank you!!! I get so tired of hearing Lindsey talk about the "machine" that is Fleetwood Mac. He wanted his freedom, he wanted to work on solo material and on and on and on. Honestly, I can't remember him ever saying how much he appreciates Fleetwood Mac, how much he enjoys being in Fleetwood Mac, how he wouldn't trade it for anything. Instead, the closest he can come is to say I'm sad because we have always worked through the "disfunction." Then of course, the plug..."everything else is turned into a positive." Oh yes, your precious solo material, lest we forget.

How about saying something positive about the band? How about saying how much they have given you rather than the other way around.

Honestly, I like Lindsey, he's *close* to being my favorite member and yes, he is by far the nicest and most generous when it comes to fans. But holy hell, the band must get sick and tired of hearing how they are such a thorn in his side.

I agree with Stevie. Being 70 years old, she has the right to want to be happy.
I get what you're saying, especially considering his repetitive speech about the big/small machine and all that, but I don't think that means he (in recent years) isn't grateful for the band. He's talked lovingly about the band multiple times and even wrote that song On With the Show from the BM album for the band.
I think he still wishes the band would be more 'out there' creatively but in general I think that was much more of an issue in the past than it has been in recent years and his speech about big/small machine is his weirdo way of accepting that. Plus I think he really valued that 'cycles'/coming full circle thing he always talked about. That's why he wanted them to do a final album, he really wanted to CREATE within the group and he valued wrapping up their final chapters.

Ironically Stevie is the one who I think has most treated Fleetwood Mac like a thorn in her side. Lindsey may have bitched about it but hey, he still did the work and got his job done. Stevie on the other hand has blown them off/complained about them a bunch of times, ever since her solo career took off. Her lack of availability during Tango in the Night, the album that was supposed to happen soon after The Dance but didn't, the album that was supposed to happen after Unleashed but didn't, the 2013 tour that was actually supposed to start in 2012 but she said no, when 24 KG came out and she was complaining that she couldn't promote it enough because of the FM tour, wouldn't record with them etc.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
I mean you have heard her voice live lately right? Love Chris, but girlfriends voice is shot AF.
IA. I think she's maintained the overall tone of her voice much better than Stevie and Lindsey but I watched videos of performances from the BuckVie tour and yikes at how many bum notes she hits. Like, a lot. Stevie and Lindsey's voices are shot too but I never really hear them hitting bad notes?