Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Question Tom Petty tribute but no Kirwan or Welch?

I'm confused so please help me out. I know there is a Tom Petty tribute during the Mac's encore with several photos of Stevie and Tom together ending with a huge photo of Tom Petty on the screen behind the band.
Tom Petty passed away in 2017. Danny Kirwan passed away only a few months ago and its wonderful Christine is singing one of his songs. Are there any photos of Danny on the screen? A small tribute? Any videos playing of Danny performing with the Mac? The same goes for Bob Welch. Any sign of him or tribute?
I have not seen the concert but I am curious. It seems odd to me that Petty gets such a tribute but not the Fleetwood Mac members.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:55 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
It seems odd to me that Petty gets such a tribute but not the Fleetwood Mac members.

Oh yes. That's what's odd. That one thing.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm confused so please help me out. I know there is a Tom Petty tribute during the Mac's encore with several photos of Stevie and Tom together ending with a huge photo of Tom Petty on the screen behind the band.
Tom Petty passed away in 2017. Danny Kirwan passed away only a few months ago and its wonderful Christine is singing one of his songs. Are there any photos of Danny on the screen? A small tribute? Any videos playing of Danny performing with the Mac? The same goes for Bob Welch. Any sign of him or tribute?
I have not seen the concert but I am curious. It seems odd to me that Petty gets such a tribute but not the Fleetwood Mac members.
Not that I saw. I was on the R side of the stage in Chicago and couldn't see everything on the screen---but no.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That would make sense, but that's not part of the Stevie Nicks and Players agenda these days. Tom Petty, yes. Danny who? Bob who?
Old 10-08-2018, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If Christine, John, or Mick had wanted to include a photo of Danny or Bob, they could have. Maybe they didn't think of it, or maybe they thought most people in the audience wouldn't know who they were. A tribute would have been nice but I don't begrudge anyone for including one photo and not another.

Last edited by bwboy; 10-08-2018 at 02:30 PM..
Old 10-08-2018, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
If Christine, John, or Mick had wanted to include a photo of Danny or John, they could have. Maybe they didn't think of it, or maybe they thought most people in the audience wouldn't know who they were. A tribute would have been nice but I don't begrudge anyone for including one photo and not another.
Its not about begrudging anyone. Its just not a very creative process regardless of the tribute. A simple video of Kirwan playing when Chris is performing his song would be appropriate especially since his death was just over 3 months ago. I don't think because many don't know who he is would be the worst excuse ever. Hello!!! They are playing his music. I see it an easy connection for anyone to make during the song.
What else are they showing? Photos of birds flying? Its just a total lack of creativity. But be assured, Stevie made sure Tom's tribute was huge. Mike did not want to do Free Falling and I am sure he did not press Fleetwood Mac to do the tribute. It was all Stevie.
How anyone can perform Tom's music and do a tribute but also play Danny and Bob's songs and not even a quick photo or video of him playing is just plain dumb. All Stevie did was bring her 24K Gold video projector and project on the screen what she has been showing for over a year now.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-08-2018 at 02:12 PM..
Old 10-08-2018, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Its not about begrudging anyone. Its just not a very creative process regardless of the tribute. A simple video of Kirwan playing when Chris is performing his song would be appropriate especially since his death was just over 3 months ago. I don't think because many don't know who he is would be the worst excuse ever. Hello!!! They are playing his music. I see it an easy connection for anyone to make during the song.
What else are they showing? Photos of birds flying? Its just a total lack of creativity. But be assured, Stevie made sure Tom's tribute was huge. Mike did not want to do Free Falling and I am sure he did not press Fleetwood Mac to do the tribute. It was all Stevie.
How anyone can perform Tom's music and do a tribute but also play Danny and Bob's songs and not even a quick photo or video of him playing is just plain dumb. All Stevie did was bring her 24K Gold video projector and project on the screen what she has been showing for over a year now.
I don't know if they were showing pictures of either of them but didn't Mick speak about Danny and Bob during the Tulsa show? I thought there was a mention of both.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:58 PM
Ledgie

Weird that they couldn't find a good picture without a Getty Images watermark for the Petty tribute...

Old 10-08-2018, 03:42 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
I would guess the difference there would be that Stevie and Mike (and potentially the others) were a hell of a lot closer to Tom than either Bob or Danny.

Mick, John, and Chris had that falling out with Bob over royalties and were on pretty terrible terms for a long time. I think they resolved it okay before his death? I can't quite remember, but either way their relationship wasn't exactly warm at his passing. Of course he was also an acquaintance of Stevie's, evidenced by her performing with him at Cal Jam and the Roxy. However, we have no idea their relationship status in the years leading up to his death, especially with his sour relationship with the rest of the band.

As far as Danny goes... I would assume Stevie doesn't know him well at all and the rest of the band hasn't been in contact with him since he was fired on the Bare Trees tour, outside of occasional updates. He was homeless and off the grid for a number of years wasn't he?

Meanwhile Mike is obviously from Tom's band while Stevie idolized the hell out of him, with both of them considering him a close friend. I assume Mick, John, and Chris were friends with him as well given that association. This is not to say that the deaths of Bob and Danny didn't sadden them to any degree, I'm sure they did, but there's no way they made as much of direct impact than Tom's.

Summary: they made Tom's tribute tug more at the heartstrings because it tugged more at their heart strings.

EDIT: Though I am of the opinion that both Bob and Danny are just as deserving of the tribute and wish they would have been treated similarly.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)

Last edited by Netter75; 10-08-2018 at 03:45 PM..
Old 10-08-2018, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

All I am saying is that video clips of them playing could have shown up almost as a silent tribute during each song. It could have been 7 seconds. It also would educate the causal fans who these key members were to Fleetwood Mac. Good gosh, Stevie had endless videos of herself in the younger days endlessly streaming behind her during her 24K Gold tour. I just think it would have really been cool. I think I better take over the controls of the production now

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-08-2018 at 04:32 PM..
Old 10-08-2018, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think anyone disagrees with you, Macfan4life... I just think any tribute to Danny or Bob would be more likely to come from Mick, John, or Christine than from Stevie or Mike or Neil. Like you said, throwing up a picture or two of them during their songs would be a nice idea, and it's really unfortunate they didn't do that. Really, they could have shown pictures of Peter during Oh Well, too. He's not dead, but again, it would be a nice way to recognize previous members. Although that would have been problematic during a Lindsey song...
Old 10-08-2018, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I don't think anyone disagrees with you, Macfan4life... I just think any tribute to Danny or Bob would be more likely to come from Mick, John, or Christine than from Stevie or Mike or Neil. Like you said, throwing up a picture or two of them during their songs would be a nice idea, and it's really unfortunate they didn't do that. Really, they could have shown pictures of Peter during Oh Well, too. He's not dead, but again, it would be a nice way to recognize previous members. Although that would have been problematic during a Lindsey song...
Not if it was a photo of Lindsey giving the middle finger

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-08-2018 at 05:49 PM..
Old 10-08-2018, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Not if it was a photo of Lindsey giving the middle finger
Completely off topic but I feel like you should conced defeat on your As Long Ad You Follow wager! Sure they didnt do As Long as You a follow, but I feel like All Over Again was the even bigger post rumours upset!

And on topic, I think this is a perfect question/request that needs to be asked/made during the next Mick Meet and Greet. Why arent there any photos of Bob and Danny during their songs?

Do people whove been to the first 2 shows know if they even introduce those songs as being written by Bob and Danny?

He Will Burn You Down
Old 10-08-2018, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

That's definitely an oversight. Someone should fix it.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
That would make sense, but that's not part of the Stevie Nicks and Players agenda these days. Tom Petty, yes. Danny who? Bob who?
Dude there is no agenda. It's an oversight and should be righted.