Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Unplugged???

Okay chaps...I'm looking for some help...
I've just read The Dance was originally intended to be an unplugged recording as part of the MTV unplugged series. I didn't know this. Indeed I believe the band recorded an unplugged session in April of 1997 (a month before The Dance recordings) that included a load of hits/favourites, plus Twisted and a further 3 songs I've never heard of; Where Were You, Forbidden and Shadows of Love*.

Can anybody tell me anything about these 'unplugged' recordings?
Does anyone know anything about these 3 'unissued' songs?

Many thanks

*edit: on reflection I'm guessing there's a chance 'Shadows of Love' could be confused with Love is Dangerous

Further edit: Sorry- I believe April 97 was unlikely to have been recorded (and probably never a proper unplugged session) but was just a rehearsal session for The Dance. However, I'm still none the wiser about those 3 songs.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood

Last edited by FuzzyPlum; 01-13-2018 at 02:47 PM..
Old 01-13-2018, 04:04 PM

Yes, I knew that The Dance should have been an MTV Unplugged episode and it did air as an MTV special in the US but I don't know why it wasn't actually featured in the Unplugged series in the end.

However the session was recorded on the 22nd and 23rd of May.

The only source I can find about it is this excerpt of this The Ledge Q&A with FM session musician Brett Tuggle:

Quote:
another question: In the Peter Lewry book "Fleetwood Mac, The Complete Recording Sessions", it talks about rehersals for MTV's "Unplugged", which became The Dance. It has a listing of songs that were recorded at this rehersal (the date is April 18, 1997), but none were issued. There are a few songs listed that I have never heard of: "Forbidden", "Where Were You", and "Shadows of Love". Can you tell us what happened to these songs, or whose's songs they were? It also has songs listed such as "Little Lies", "Twisted", and "Brown Eyes". If this Unplugged resulted in The Dance, why weren't these songs incuded? If you did not take part in these rehearsals, I am sorry for wasting your time with this question! But I was hoping you *might* just know! Thanks!! (Josh Williams, East Liverpool, Ohio, USA)

Hello again Josh,

You got me on this one... I really couldn't tell you anything regarding the "song list" situation and why certain songs were picked over others. I am just the humble keyboardist and rhythm guitar player. Somebody out there knows the answers to those questions though, sorry that it's not me. It's been a long day, think it's time to shut down my happy Mac computer for the night. Take care.....

Brett

[ Note from MEA: This last answer was sent at 3:42 AM. ]
Old 01-13-2018, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Yes, I knew that The Dance should have been an MTV Unplugged episode and it did air as an MTV special in the US but I don't know why it wasn't actually featured in the Unplugged series in the end.

However the session was recorded on the 22nd and 23rd of May.

The only source I can find about it is this excerpt of this The Ledge Q&A with FM session musician Brett Tuggle:
Yes, this Peter Lewry book is exactly the one I'm reading and came across this list of songs;

Page 93:

REHEARSALS FOR MTV's 'UNPLUGGED'
Warner Bros Studios, Burbank, California
18 April 1997

The Chain
Dreams
Big Love
Say You Love Me
Second Hand News
Where Were You
Rhiannon
Little Lies
Twisted
Never Going Back Again
Brown Eyes
Forbidden
Shadows of Love
Don't Stop
Go Your Own Way
Landslide
Songbird

(all songs 'Unissued')

My guess is they started out with the intention of doing a fully unplugged session; hence Big Love as we now know it. However, maybe they just couldn't get it to work and decided to do the show as we now know it. I suppose they cant bill it as 'Fleetwood Mac Unplugged' if it isn't actually unplugged.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-13-2018, 07:09 PM

I loved the unplugged of Say You Love Me! That was fantastic.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ooh, la, la, la
Adore the unplugged version. Lindsey playing the banjo, killer harmonies, John and Mick bubbling away. Maybe in 2018?
Old 01-15-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
ooh, la, la, la
Adore the unplugged version. Lindsey playing the banjo, killer harmonies, John and Mick bubbling away. Maybe in 2018?
I wouldn't mind them bringing that version back.