Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-31-2003, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Got mine today......

I am listening as I type. I'm at the end of Disc 1. Its fantastic. Its great to get the "missing years" of rare and live recordings in my collection. Great liner notes!
Old 11-06-2003, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm dying to get this cd! I'v searched high and low at all the record stores in town that sell imports. Most have never heard of it. One arrogant asshole insisted that "that's been around for while." I explained about the confusion regarding the other Madison Blues CD but he wouldn't believe me.

Has anyone in the US had any problems in ordering the disc through Amazon UK. I noticed that the US is not listed in their drop-down box list of countries they mail to.

Help me work through the haziness of my NyQuil coma. (cough, cough, sniff, sniff).
Old 11-06-2003, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I ordered mine from AmazonUK.It took less than a week to get to me.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I had no problem at all with Amazon, U.K., very fast shipping, too. I would say this is the best way to get this box set if you are in the U.S. I've played it at least a dozen times now from start to finish. I can't get enough of it. And, the DVD interview with Jeremy is very interesting, also.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Madison Blues

Got my copy on Friday from Amazon.com.uk. Shipping was fast. And as a reminder, remember to link from Marty's site, because he does get some compensation from the order when you do this.

Anyone who is a fan of this lineup(Kiln House) or just a fan of any one of the individual members(Jeremy, Chris, Danny) needs to get this 2 cd set with the dvd interview disc with Jeremy. It's a real treat hearing these guys/gal performing together. It even has some tunes from Christine's band before she joined FM. She sounds GREAT. There are a few times on some of the songs where she sounds off-key or overbearing, but nothing these ears can't handle. Jeremy was probably my most pleasant surprise just because he rocks out on so many songs and is a riot when he does his Elvis "impersonations". So many fantastic songs on the cds. There's really not one I don't like. This was a long time coming and I'll be more than happy to snatch up any other gem that gets thrown my way. We need to hear the Futuer Games/Bare Trees lineup and Mystery To Me/Heroes lineup songs produced in this same way.

When I first heard Madison Blues I felt like I had gotten a mising link to my Fleetwood Mac collection. Actually it was like going back to the old catalog once again, like I had done after I bought the White Album so many years ago.

WHAT A FEELING!

Joe

Last edited by jwd; 11-09-2003 at 02:12 PM..
Old 11-09-2003, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I finally was able to order mine through Amazon UK. Arrives November 16. Something to really look forward to!

Wouldn't it be great if there were future releases like this for the subsequent periods after Kiln House ---

one for the Future Games/Bare Trees band

one for the Penguin band

one for the Mystery To Me band (that is the one I'd want to hear most)

one for the Heroes band

Let's hope it happens.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinHead

Wouldn't it be great if there were future releases like this for the subsequent periods after Kiln House ---

one for the Future Games/Bare Trees band

one for the Penguin band

one for the Mystery To Me band (that is the one I'd want to hear most)

one for the Heroes band

Let's hope it happens.
That would be fantastic!!!!
Old 11-10-2003, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm hoping Amazon-US offers it as an import soon... I'm dying to get it.

What was the shipping charge for those of you who ordered from Amazon-UK?
I have to watch my pennies... especially so close to the holidays!
Old 11-10-2003, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know exactly what the shipping charges were for me, but the total amount that I paid was $24.13. I think the price will vary depending on the exchange rates at any given time. I also think that's a pretty reasonable amount considering what you get-2 CDs of very rare tracks plus the DVD.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile All I Want For Xmas.....

Quote:
Johnny Stew:

What was the shipping charge for those of you who ordered from Amazon-UK?
Well it was a little over three pds(British currency) with my total order coming to $24.63. Well worth the cost. The liner notes in the booklet are done very well too along with some cool pics of the Kiln House FM and Christine's band. Hey don't sweat it Brian, if you've been a good boy, maybe Santa will stick in in your stocking for Xmas.........ooooooooooooh booooooooy!

Joe
Old 11-13-2003, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

In all honesty, I had someone buy it for me (as I gave them the $ & they put it on their credit card (and the CC company coverted all of that) so I can't say for sure, I don't think the postage was that much anyways.

I think mine seemed like it took longer to get here than it actually did because I was waiting for it but yeah, it must've been about a week and a half tops it took to get to me.

I just got back from the UK and I saw it for sale in HMV and Virgin there so it's definitely legit.

Here's hoping for those other lineups recordings releases as well. I don't know if many exist but if we weren't even aware of the existance of these then there is hope that maybe there are recordings by those others we're not aware of either.

I just wish the liner notes in MB were more specific with the source of those recordings but it's OK, I'd rather have them and not know where they got them from rather than know about the existance of recordings and not have them.

I know it had been speculated a while back that the live recordings were from CM's first FM show from New Orleans but I think that rumor had been extrapolated from a mention of N.O. in the liner notes but they don't state that is where those live recordings were from. I'm not shutting it off as a possibility but I have a hunch they're not from that show. Would be interesting to find out for sure one way or the other where they are from though.

I bet the "studio/live" Mac ones are BBC recordings (as I think the CP ones are too) but who knows, it's great stuff anyways like many have said above anyways.

John
Old 06-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Ledgie

Default checking in on this

If anyone wanted to revisit this topic, I was curious if Jeremy's version here of "Madison Blues" & "Dust My Broom" are done differently than on the Blues Jam in Chicago cd? On this Madsion Blues cd are those two songs taken from live performances or studio? Also, is "Station Many" which I noticed listed on disc 2, a take off on "Station Man"? How about "Station Man" and "Jewel Eyed Judy" from disc 1, how do these sound compared to the versions on Kiln House? I know I ask many questions!
Old 06-04-2004, 06:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfire
If anyone wanted to revisit this topic, I was curious if Jeremy's version here of "Madison Blues" & "Dust My Broom" are done differently than on the Blues Jam in Chicago cd? On this Madsion Blues cd are those two songs taken from live performances or studio? Also, is "Station Many" which I noticed listed on disc 2, a take off on "Station Man"? How about "Station Man" and "Jewel Eyed Judy" from disc 1, how do these sound compared to the versions on Kiln House? I know I ask many questions!
"Madison Blues" & "Dust My Broom" on the Madison Blues box set are both live performances. There are 3 versions of "Station Man" on this box set. The first one on disc 1 is a studio performance, probably from the BBC. The other 2 versions are live performances. I like all the Station Man versions(although Christine is just a bit off key) & "Jewel Eyed Judy" as well. I do think I slightly prefer the album version of "Jewel Eyed Judy" over the live version.

greenfire, I would definitely recommend that you get the Madison Blues box set. I have a feeling that you'll really like it.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default lowdown on Madison Blues

I bought Madison Blues, a two-disc set with an additional third DVD-interview with Spencer, in Paris in Jaunuary 2004. It's really very good. I agree, the title is unfortunate.

In reply to an earlier speculation as to who sings what, Christine sings the first five numbers, four of which are not FM but members of the Christine Perfect band. Track five is an amazing studio reworking of "Crazy 'Bout You Baby," which is then played live later on. Other studio tracks include reworkings of "Tell Me," "Station Man, "Purple Dancer," and a Danny-Chris Duet called "Down at the Crown." A live show follows, with Danny and Chris doing the lion-share of the fronting. The second disc is entirely comprised of a later live show, where Jeremy emerges as the primary performer.

Highlights: One studio reworking of Station Man, and then two live performances of the song. Each version is fabulous. Also, a rare Christine Original called "Lonely Without You," and a stunning new arrangment of her solo outing's "I'm on My Way," which is so good, it should have been re-recorded as a studio track.

The British Release (on Shakedown Records) includes a fold-out inset with uninteresting liner notes by Jeff Clemmins.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:13 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

I watched the Jeremy Spencer DVD recently and just felt like commenting. It was so neat to hear his memories (and I think considering how long ago it was and how young he was at the time, he recalled quite a bit!) A huge thank you to Martin Celmins for not snipping/editing out anything or portraying him as mentally unstable, as Jeremy seemed afraid he would! J seems happy and in great spirit; hearing his take on the way things all began was priceless. He also made me laugh quite a few times w/ his mannerisms, like his description of his first impressions of Mick Fleetwood, LOL, he cracked me up.

The part that moved me the most was where he described meeting Peter for the first time, and how Peter told him why he planned on naming the new band 'Fleetwood Mac'-- because those guys were his friends, and because eventually both Peter and Jeremy might leave and form bands of their own- he wanted to leave John and Mick w/ something. How incredibly prophetic that was! yes I admit it made me cry, I'm a sap.

My only complaint was that Martin didn't ask him about the period after Pete left--when they all lived at Kiln House, and about when/how Chris joined. They sort of skipped over that time frame. Other than that, I really enjoyed the whole thing (although I do wish someone had given the poor man a tissue, for heaven's sake, he must've had a cold or something. how many times can he wipe his nose w/ his hand before someone offers a tissue?? :-) )

I would adore seeing similar 'uncut' interviews of Pete, John and Mick regarding those early days of the band. But I'm happy Jeremy got his shot at giving *his* perspective on things (although I guess he did a bit of that in his Q&A also.)

Enough rambling.

-Lis