Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-02-2006, 01:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Was the next album doomed??

The forum is getting slow, so i thought id rack my brain and conjour up a discussion

I've been thinking alot lately about the very limited success of BTM, but i was thinking, would the album have been anymore succesfull with Lindsey's participation??

We had already seen the slowing down of Stevie's career in the late 80's and TITN was successful, but not as successfull as Mirage. The 90's was a different ball game, and a new breed of artist and music style was coming through. I personally think that even if Lindsey had gone on the TITN tour, and recorded a new album with the mac in the early 90's, that it would have been moderatley successful anyway - maybe we would have a stronger album, but sales wise, would anything be different??
Old 02-02-2006, 02:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Although I think BTM probably would've been stronger if Lindsey had stayed, I agree with you, that the times were a changin'. FM had had their day in the sun. Nobody stays on top of the charts forever.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva

and TITN was successful, but not as successfull as Mirage.
Ummmm...If I'm not mistaken TITN has sold more than any of their other records next to Rumours. So how did Mirage do better?
Old 02-02-2006, 02:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
Ummmm...If I'm not mistaken TITN has sold more than any of their other records next to Rumours. So how did Mirage do better?
Ohh, i always thought that the the self titled album has sold more, and according to RIAA the white album has sold over 5 million in the US, and TITN has sold 3 but thats beside the point....

I meant purely because of it's chart positions at the time, not its long term sales

Last edited by foxyluva; 02-02-2006 at 03:12 AM..
Old 02-02-2006, 03:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been searching for exact figures, and all I've found is that Tango was certified triple platinum, and Mirage certified double platinum.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
I've been searching for exact figures, and all I've found is that Tango was certified triple platinum, and Mirage certified double platinum.
That's correct. And, Tango sold even better worldwide, I think even better than the White Fleetwood Mac album. Fleetwood Mac's best days were in the 1970's, both commercially & musically, in my opinion. As for Behind The Mask, it probably would have been a bit better album & probably sold a bit more too if Lindsey had been in the band, just as Say You Will would have been better & probably sold a little bit more if Christine had been in the band at that time. The complete Rumours line-up has always been the most successful Fleetwood Mac. If you take away any of those 5 people, it's just not as good or successful.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think no matter how "good" and album is if you've had your day you've had your day.

FM had an amazing amount of success in the seventies and eighties but times change and young people mainly want to have their own musical heroes of their time.

FM will always have a loyal following but never again the huge sales of Rumours et al

Gail
Old 02-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh
FM will always have a loyal following but never again the huge sales of Rumours et al
Even the "five fireflies" couldn't repeat the success of Rumours...and they had (not counting the live album) three more tries at it.

The thing is, if you totally ignore the Rumours sales numbers, the 4+ million of Tusk, the 3+ million of Mirage and the 5+ million of Tango In The Night would be phenomenal sales numbers.

To use a baseball analogy, it's the same as Barry Bonds...ok, he had his Rumours year of 73 home runs...(hypothetical stats here) then the following years he hit 50+, then 40+ the year after that...basically, hitting over 25-30 homeruns a year is fantastic, over 40 is "wow" inducing, over 50 is jaw dropping, over 60 is Ruthian/McGwire-ese, over 70, until the late 90's was just unheard of.

Rumours just raised the bar so high, even Fleetwood Mac flinched...hence Tusk.

Last edited by chiliD; 02-02-2006 at 11:26 AM..
Old 02-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

With or without Lindsey, Behind the Mask was doomed. Fleetwood Mac, in any form, wasn't a hot commodity in 1990.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
With or without Lindsey, Behind the Mask was doomed. Fleetwood Mac, in any form, wasn't a hot commodity in 1990.

They were still a great concert draw, though. (and I thought their set choices were the best since 1974)
Old 02-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
They were still a great concert draw, though. (and I thought their set choices were the best since 1974)
Yes, the set list was.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Can anyone say, "Rolling Stones".

WWKRD?

Heroin.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Neb-Maat-Re
This message has been deleted by Neb-Maat-Re.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I agree. I really liked that set list. And the band was fun to see in concert.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
That's correct. And, Tango sold even better worldwide, I think even better than the White Fleetwood Mac album.

All because of Welcome To the Room, Sara and When I See You Again......

....they should have been singles!!!
Old 02-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
That's correct. And, Tango sold even better worldwide, I think even better than the White Fleetwood Mac album. Fleetwood Mac's best days were in the 1970's, both commercially & musically, in my opinion. As for Behind The Mask, it probably would have been a bit better album & probably sold a bit more too if Lindsey had been in the band, just as Say You Will would have been better & probably sold a little bit more if Christine had been in the band at that time. The complete Rumours line-up has always been the most successful Fleetwood Mac. If you take away any of those 5 people, it's just not as good or successful.
Awww...Mary Anne you are using the screen caps I made!!!

I'm glad you like them. Chris has the most beautiful green eyes...EVER!

I'm going to make some more caps soon, including TITN, The Dance, etc...

oh yea. back on topic...I thought TITN had sold more than any other Mac album next to Rumours. Just wasn't sure if it was world wide sales are not.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Brwn_eyes0511
This message has been deleted by Brwn_eyes0511.