User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
I totally disagree with you on this. I think there are many people who can form long lasting relationships (platonic and intimate) at this age.

My take on long distance relationships is this: if it's a short term situation with a plan at the end, it may be necessary. If it's ongoing and vague with no plan in sight, I think it can be doomed for an unpleasant ending.
Exactly what I think, on both accounts.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
I wasn't asking about me specifically.
My bad. I assumed you were making reference to some of the folks we've chatted about in your life.

Either way, just try to enjoy what's going on in your life right here and now: being a gorgeous teenager in a beautiful city attending her first year of college. You only get that experience once... have FUN with it!

Last edited by louielouie2000; 11-22-2010 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: Danielle's insistence
Old 11-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Either way, just try to enjoy what's going on in your life right here and now: being a gorgeous teenager in a beautiful city attending her first year of college. You only get that experience once... have FUN with it!
.....but I hate everyone my own age. College sucks because they're swarming.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
My take on long distance relationships is this: if it's a short term situation with a plan at the end, it may be necessary. If it's ongoing and vague with no plan in sight, I think it can be doomed for an unpleasant ending.
I just think starting off a relationship in a long distance capacity is doomed to failure 99 times out of 100. I personally have always believed relationships should start out fun and easy... if you're dealing with too much BS and pain at the start, it doesn't bode well for how the relationship will progress, IMO. But that's just my personal way of looking at things... we all tackle life differently.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
.....but I hate everyone my own age. College sucks because they're swarming.
...How do you mean ?
Old 11-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I just think starting off a relationship in a long distance capacity is doomed to failure 99 times out of 100. I personally have always believed relationships should start out fun and easy... if you're dealing with too much BS and pain at the start, it doesn't bode well for how the relationship will progress, IMO. But that's just my personal way of looking at things... we all tackle life differently.
No, I mostly agree with you on this part - just not the part about developing and maintaining meaningful and mature relationships before the age of 24.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwoodmark View Post
...How do you mean ?
I really don't like people my own age, generally speaking. Most of my good friends are between 23 and 30.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Any thoughts?
I had a long distance (UK-US) relationship via the internet for 8 months in 1997.

We married in February 1998 and are still together
Old 11-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My bf and I have been dating since July.
Next year I'm going to be working in Sandusky for 2 and a half months and then I'm going to be at Michigan State (hopefully!!! dammit decide already!!!). He's gonna be going to a community college here in Virginia.

I'm gonna be in a long distance relationship for a while, so I'd like to think that they work sometimes.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthe_boy View Post
I had a long distance (UK-US) relationship via the internet for 8 months in 1997.

We married in February 1998 and are still together
Thank you. I knew it was possible....
Old 11-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it depends on the situation prior to the distance. If it's starting a relationship where distance is already a factor, it's not something that I'd personally want for myself. But, I'm also the type of person that doesn't understand a NEED for a relationship and I find that if someone is starting a relationship with someone that is already far away (as in, has never been close enough to start the foundation of the relationship before the distance), then the person involved probably has a different feeling on the necessity of relationships than I do. If distance is such a huge factor, having it be an exclusive relationship, at least right away, is just asking for trouble because there isn't enough knowledge of the basics that make relationships work. At the same time, sometimes it's the challenge of the distance that makes it so appealing, a sort of grass-is-greener thing.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I started dating my hubby at age 15 continuously, and after law school, there was a year he was away at NYU getting an extra degree. We got married the year after and have been married 11 years, together over 20. It was a very long distance year and we couldn't see eachother much, but we made it.

and I just remembered to add that our first year of marriage was 50% apart too...I was on residency and he was working in NYC.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Last edited by Stephanie; 11-25-2010 at 10:29 PM..
Old 11-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They are possible........not for me though. I'm handicapped and I could travel but it's too much work for me. So I could never work one. And i'm greedy i need constant contact lol

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 11-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Thank you. I knew it was possible....
In our case, I put down our success to the fact that in the long distance period, which was most of 1997, we were totally honest with each other. Our communication was mostly internet based, some telephone and photos exchanged by snail mail. During that time we did not hide anything about ourselves, after all nobody is perfect. So there were no nasty surprises in store when we got together in real life.

One of the hurdles we faced was that relatively few people had the internet then and internet relationships were viewed with much suspicion!
Old 11-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I feel like I might be able to make one work, though it definitely wouldn't be ideal.

A girl friend of mine from high school dated a guy who was 5 years older than her who went to school a couple of hours away, and they seemed solid- though it was totally obnoxious.