User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-16-2003, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question LB on Dave Mason in GP

I haven't seen the new GP LB article but I saw someone posted this snippet from it at www.dave-mason.com

GP: Who was your main lead guitar influence?

Lindsey Buckingham: I can't say it was any one person. I used to love Led Zeppelin, but I never sat around trying to learn Jimmy Page licks. In terms of developing a sense of melody, I was helped along by Dave Mason's ALONE TOGETHER -- a wonderful album with a very pretty kind of lead guitar style.

Was anyone else surprised (but happy) to find this?

John
Old 02-16-2003, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: LB on Dave Mason in GP

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
I haven't seen the new GP LB article but I saw someone posted this snippet from it at www.dave-mason.com

GP: Who was your main lead guitar influence?

Lindsey Buckingham: I can't say it was any one person. I used to love Led Zeppelin, but I never sat around trying to learn Jimmy Page licks. In terms of developing a sense of melody, I was helped along by Dave Mason's ALONE TOGETHER -- a wonderful album with a very pretty kind of lead guitar style.

Was anyone else surprised (but happy) to find this?

John
Yes, I noticed that too. I was very surprised to read that, especially considering what he had to say about the Time lineup. Also, I've always wondered why he agreed to do background vocals on one song on the "Time" album when he didn't really seem to like the idea of Mick continuing on with Fleetwood Mac at that time.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, I noticed that too. I was very surprised to read that, especially considering what he had to say about the Time lineup. Also, I've always wondered why he agreed to do background vocals on one song on the "Time" album when he didn't really seem to like the idea of Mick continuing on with Fleetwood Mac at that time.
I've never thought Lindsey disliked the Mac continuing without him. Initially it was probably hard, like watching an old girlfriend/boyfriend start to date new people, but he did guest on both albums that came after him. I think overall he was just wary of Mick turning the Mac into a purely nostalgia act by trying to shoehorn the new people into the same Rumours setlist out on the road.

He was actually pretty excited about Dave Mason joining the band back when it happened (perhaps thinking that the new infusion could take the band in a new direction out on the road):

"When I heard that Dave Mason was joining, my initial reaction was, 'Oh, that could be good!' But apparently, it wasn't."
- Rolling Stone, 8/29/97

Last edited by Les; 02-16-2003 at 12:49 PM..
Old 02-17-2003, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question NOSTALGIC FM

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
I think overall he was just wary of Mick turning the Mac into a purely nostalgia act by trying to shoehorn the new people into the same Rumours setlist out on the road
What I have to say here is more against Mick than anything else though it may sound "against Lindsey" for what he had said about this.

I do agree that Mick (& possibly John too) held Bekka & Billy back from being "themselves". It's hard to say if he was "able to do this" with Dave Mason, probably not, but I guess his way around that in the studio was to have Christine come in and do her "usual" material for "Time".

The thing I don't get is why is the "Time" deal considered "nostalgic" but NOT "The dance" etc.?

Though I do enjoy the BN music and all, to me, the re-joining of BN makes it seem MORE nostalgic. Maybe BN re-joining would have seemed more nostalgic if the Bramlett/Burnette/Mason lineup was "allowed" to do new things rather than "forcing" them to "rehash old things" on the road etc. but I just don't understand why the BN reformation is not considered to be what seems to have been decided of later "less familiar" FM members/lineups.

Any thoughts?

John
Old 02-17-2003, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Absolutely, for the older fans, The Dance was hugely nostalgic. But it was at least the original writers/singers of those songs who were playing them on The Dance tour. That wasn't the case with the Time lineup tour. They were new people with talents of their own and they were still singing the same old songs for most of their set. I think that situation was at the crux of Lindsey's comment.

It wasn't that the Time album lineup was somehow nostalgic in and of itself. Not at all. It was that no matter what new infusion of blood and energy was put into the band for Time, when that lineup hit the road, they were still doing mostly Rumours-era material. Mick (and John?) didn't seem quite able to let their new members be themselves. Having all of these new faces still doing the old songs created the impression of them as almost being a cover band of their own material.

I think that's why Lindsey originally thought Dave Mason's joining could be a good thing. Maybe he thought Dave was a strong enough personality (and musician) to sort of push Mick over the hump of just retreading Rumours out on the road. That didn't appear to happen as much as one could have hoped, so that could explain the last part of Lindsey's comment.

I guess there have been rumors that Christine and Dave Mason weren't exactly buddies. If Lindsey heard those rumors, I suppose that could be part of Lindsey's latter comment too. Just a thought.

Last edited by Les; 02-17-2003 at 02:15 PM..
Old 02-18-2003, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question LES

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
Absolutely, for the older fans, The Dance was hugely nostalgic. But it was at least the original writers/singers of those songs who were playing them on The Dance tour. That wasn't the case with the Time lineup tour. They were new people with talents of their own and they were still singing the same old songs for most of their set. I think that situation was at the crux of Lindsey's comment.

It wasn't that the Time album lineup was somehow nostalgic in and of itself. Not at all. It was that no matter what new infusion of blood and energy was put into the band for Time, when that lineup hit the road, they were still doing mostly Rumours-era material. Mick (and John?) didn't seem quite able to let their new members be themselves. Having all of these new faces still doing the old songs created the impression of them as almost being a cover band of their own material.

I think that's why Lindsey originally thought Dave Mason's joining could be a good thing. Maybe he thought Dave was a strong enough personality (and musician) to sort of push Mick over the hump of just retreading Rumours out on the road. That didn't appear to happen as much as one could have hoped, so that could explain the last part of Lindsey's comment.

I guess there have been rumors that Christine and Dave Mason weren't exactly buddies. If Lindsey heard those rumors, I suppose that could be part of Lindsey's latter comment too. Just a thought.
Yeah I do agree with what LB had said and (most likely) thought on all of this (as you're right that we did/do have to do some "guessing" there at best) and I really did wish that the BTM/Time members were allowed to do new things but I guess if the "same old" songs ARE to be performed, I actually almost prefer to hear the other members do the other lineups/members songs, just sounds a little different, mixes it up a little, y'know? something "out of the ordinary", maybe that's why I think of "The dance" as "more" nostalgic as it IS the original musicians playing those songs again, you KNOW what it's going to sound like, there's no (or well, very little) surprises etc. or anything. Now, I am a fan and I'm not saying any of the new BN era stuff is "bad" or anything, it's just to me personally "given the choice" (kind of thing)... like for instance same could be said for when BN joined in '75, I LOVED hearing the 1975 shows because we heard BN do a great job on Green/Kirwan/Welch etc. songs but eh that's just me I guess in how I personally feel about the "nostalgic" thing.

John
Old 02-19-2003, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, the "Nostalgia" thing as it relates to the Time lineup:

What else COULD they do other than play the basic Rumours set, with Dave Mason's solo hits interspersed? They started touring in mid 1994, and it would be nearly/over a YEAR until the Time album was released, and who knows if they'd already started recording anything for it at that time. Other than Dave's "Blow By Blow", nothing else "new" was played. They HAD to be, for all intents, a Fleetwood Mac tribute band. And, though I THOROUGHLY enjoyed this incarnations live presentation, there are still nagging points that bug me. I still don't understand why they played a Traffic tune that Dave Mason didn't sing, and really had no involvement in ("Dear Mr. Fantasy")...were they going to re-record it for the new album? I could see them doing "Only You Know & I Know" due to the Delaney & Bonnie connection, with Bekka being in the band. But, I just didn't see the "History of Dave Mason" being thrown at me when I'm there to see Fleetwood Mac.

How this differs from previous incarnations is that the previous crews had released an album (or at least had recorded most of the album) by the time they hit the stage, so they HAD new material to present to the audience...the Time incarnation did not...so who's fault is THAT? It wasn't really a matter of letting the new members be themselves...they didn't have the NEW material to present. A hypothetical is that they could've included more of Billy's solo material, or even more of his Fleetwood Mac material (which wasn't even touched by the Time crew live)...they still had the capability to playing "In The Back Of My Mind", or "Hard Feelings", or "When The Sun Goes Down", but for some unimaginable reason decided not to. They could've included a song or two from Mick's Zoo that featured Bekka's voice, but didn't. Dave Mason could've swallowed is ego and sang one of the OLD Fleetwood Mac numbers, I don't think that would've killed him.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Dave Mason...

ChiliD... I thought of you right away......
as our final authority on Dave Mason and all
aspects of the old band! Verygood reading this!

You have mentioned the earlier Mac songs and
I thoroughly enjoyed Christine's piano runs on
Green Manalishi etc...etc...
with Mick poundin' those drums silly!
Winston/Salem,NC 1975 time frame!!!
Energetic Loud and Totally Entertaining!!!

Re:Stationman- Hypnotized-Oh,Well with young Lindsey&Stevie!
Chris led rythym in those days and was the female Star for sure!
She yelled out to the crowd..."You wooonderful!!! they clapped!
She said "THAANK YOOOU!
"LB yelled "Yahh!Thanks Everryybody!"

When ppl say they went from a Rockin' Blues Band
to a night club act I can now see what they mean!
They were losing their UK Blues chops! As Stevie
took to twirling in front of Mick "driving him mad!!!"
That was the end of that Mac cycle...The Blues! Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey

Last edited by Skylark; 02-19-2003 at 04:43 PM..
Old 02-19-2003, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
They started touring in mid 1994, and it would be nearly/over a YEAR until the Time album was released, and who knows if they'd already started recording anything for it at that time.
I suppose that begs the question why they didn't do it in reverse. Why not record during the time they toured and tour during the time they recorded?
Old 02-19-2003, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question CHILID

Yeah, I completely agree, I guess that's what I meant when thinking of "The dance" (to me) feeling more "nostalgic" as, apart from SG, TO, BTLH & MLD the rest WAS "old" material and therefore "nostalgic" hence why I can't understand why Lindsey doesn't think of THAT as "nostaligic" but DOES (apparently) think of the "Time" deal as "nostalgic", especially considering that things like "Only you know and I know" are (or I should say were...) "new" to FM audiences anyways so in so far as "old FLEETWOOD MAC material" that was played between the Time/Dance tours, it probably "evened out" if one looks at it that way.

Just a guess but I don't think Mick had as much "control" over DM as I'm sure he would have liked (as Dave was apparently "doing Mick the favor" by "helping him out" by joining etc.). If he had, I'm sure he would have told/forced(/whatever) DM to do more "old FLEETWOOD MAC songs".

I also agree that Billy really did get screwed out of his material on the "Time" tour, who knows why, probably Mick again wanting to do the "good old days" hits instead of letting what he considers "failure material" to be played and since he had more "control" over Billy he got what he wanted, a REAL shame.

Going from 90's DM solo set lists, I'm GUESSING that DM doing "Dear Mr. Fantasy" was more "expected" of him since he usually finished his encores with it (from what I understand anyways as I unfortunately haven't been able to see him live yet but from video/audio shows I've seen/heard etc.). I assume that he figured that if he didn't do it then those fans that were going to his solo shows and were NOW going to FM concerts to see him play would have been "disappointed" if he didn't do any/many of "his" songs (don't know why since they should expect to hear FLEETWOOD MAC material if they go to a FM show but anyways, that's just a guess on my part though). Who knows why he does DMF?! I must admit that although I was pleased to hear it as it is one of my all time fave Traffic songs, I was confused as to why he has always ended up doing it when it's a Winwood/Capaldi/Wood penned number (?) aw well, I guess we'll never know.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 02-19-2003 at 05:02 PM..
Old 02-19-2003, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: CHILID

Quote:
Yeah, I completely agree, I guess that's what I meant when thinking of "The dance" (to me) feeling more "nostalgic" as, apart from SG, TO, BTLH & MLD the rest WAS "old" material and therefore "nostalgic" hence why I can't understand why Lindsey doesn't think of THAT as "nostaligic" but DOES (apparently) think of the "Time" deal as "nostalgic"....
I think Lindsey did think of The Dance as being largely nostalgic and that's why it took him some time to, as he said, "roll off the log," and agree to do it. I suspect the inclusion of the few new songs they did do for The Dance tour was largely at Lindsey's spurring. I recall an interview with Mick where he said the inclusion of the new stuff and the decision to allow Lindsey to do Big Love and Go Insane the way he did was in the effort to nudge Lindsey into feeling like they weren't just "treading water creatively" (nothing but nostalgia).

Last edited by Les; 02-19-2003 at 04:57 PM..
Old 02-19-2003, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation LES

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
I suppose that begs the question why they didn't do it in reverse. Why not record during the time they toured and tour during the time they recorded?
ChiliD can (and I'm sure will...!) answer this better than I can but I understand it had something to do with a mix up that the album WAS done and titled "Another link in the chain" so they went on the road to promote it thinking it was just about to be released) but the release was delayed (and then delayed even further probably because of Mick wanting Christine to "come in and save the day" with more "familiar" sounding material), and then the album was retitled "Time" and then by the time "Time" actually came out, they had finished the tour so I don't think it was planned "in reverse" but things just got screwed up and it just (unfortunately) happened that way.

John
Old 02-19-2003, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile Re: Re: CHILID

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
I think Lindsey did think of The Dance as being largely nostalgic and that's why it took him some time to, as he said, "roll off the log," and agree to do it. I suspect the inclusion of the few new songs they did do for The Dance tour was largely at Lindsey's spurring. I recall an interview with Mick where he said that he thought the inclusion of the new stuff and the decision to allow Lindsey to do Big Love and Go Insane the way he did was in the effort to nudge Lindsey into feeling like they weren't just "treading water creatively" (nothing but nostalgia).
Hmm, I didn't know that, thanks Les!

John
Old 02-19-2003, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
Just conjecture, but I think it might've had something to do with Stevie doing her Street Angel tour with Rick Vito on guitar and Mick wanting to cash in on the Fleetwood Mac name via the summer/fall concert circles while he could...even though Street Angel didn't set the world on fire, either. Plus, a secondary factor could've been to see how this lineup gelled on stage before heading into the studio. I still would like to hear how the completed Another Link In The Chain album sounded before Christine got involved and it morphed into Time.

Quote:
I assume that he figured that if he didn't do it then those fans that were going to his solo shows and were NOW going to FM concerts to see him play would have been "disappointed" if he didn't do any/many of "his" songs.
Obviously, "Blow By Blow" definitely belonged in the set. And, I could understand "Only You Know & I Know" & "We Just Disagree", but a cover of a cover? ("All Along The Watchtower"?? "Dear Mr. Fantasy"??). Personally, "World In Changes" or "Look At Me, Look At You" would've made a better fit in a Fleetwood Mac set than those other choices. Even "Feelin' Alright"!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2003, 06:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Just conjecture, but I think it might've had something to do with Stevie doing her Street Angel tour with Rick Vito on guitar and Mick wanting to cash in on the Fleetwood Mac name via the summer/fall concert circles while he could...even though Street Angel didn't set the world on fire, either. Plus, a secondary factor could've been to see how this lineup gelled on stage before heading into the studio. I still would like to hear how the completed Another Link In The Chain album sounded before Christine got involved and it morphed into Time.Obviously, "Blow By Blow" definitely belonged in the set. And, I could understand "Only You Know & I Know" & "We Just Disagree", but a cover of a cover? ("All Along The Watchtower"?? "Dear Mr. Fantasy"??). Personally, "World In Changes" or "Look At Me, Look At You" would've made a better fit in a Fleetwood Mac set than those other choices. Even "Feelin' Alright"!!!!!!
HA! Yeah, I couldn't agree more!

John