The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Which anti-love song is YOUR favorite?
What Makes You Think You're The One? 13 37.14%
That's Enough For Me 1 2.86%
I Must Go 1 2.86%
Go Your Own Way 7 20.00%
Never Going Back Again 3 8.57%
Not That Funny 2 5.71%
The Ledge 4 11.43%
Tusk 2 5.71%
Come 2 5.71%
Caroline 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Not really michele. It is a valid Anti-Love song, and of course it's the classic, universally loved song on the list. But actually, with this poll I was hoping everyone would get into the mind set of which song deliverers the biggest punch in terms of anti-love and that message is concerned.
I don't even really see it as an anti-love song actually. I suppose the wish that he could give her the world if she'd only take it just vulnerably outweighs the sentiment in the chorus for me, which sounds like bluster, false bravado and heartbreak more than it sounds of anger or anti-love.

Go your own way, but please come back.

Michele
Old 02-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't even really see it as an anti-love song actually. I suppose the wish that he could give her the world if she'd only take it just vulnerably outweighs the sentiment in the chorus for me, which sounds like bluster, false bravado and heartbreak more than it sounds of anger or anti-love.

Go your own way, but please come back.

Michele
Yeah, that seems to be a recurring theme.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like Stevie's comments on Lindsey's Tusk songs:

Not That Funny [she thinks it's about CAH, I guess, "you're here cause I say so line"]: The girls don't like that line. That's not a big line with the women here in America, but it's ok because that's how he feels. To whom he is speaking it to, it is true. I think that in this song that Lindsey is being very hones that he's angry and he's talking about some real kind of air relationships. I like to hear him talk about things because he's not a talker and he doesn't like to expound. He just figures either you understand or you're stupid."

WMYTYTO: "It was so raucous that the first time I listened to it, I just sat there in the studio going 'I wasn't on it. I wasn't there. I didn't sing on it. I don't know the song. I don't understand the words. I don't understand the music, and yet it's going to be on my album.' It was very strange."

That's Enough for Me : "It has been that's enough for me all through the album. I like it now. It's raucous too. Christine hates it. She will very laughingly took Lindsey straight in the eyes and say, 'I hate that song' and we all just die laughing because Christine can say it."

And, of course I love what she said about Lindsey not wanting them around during recording. "He wanted to be alone. He wanted to do his vocals alone, he didn't any of us gawking through the window at him or me dancing in the background or twirling my baton. He just put a big note on the door saying 'Out' and he would call you if he needed your services."

I like that her comments sort of acknowledge that she can be a feisty dancing, baton twirling irritant sometimes, a shawled gnat buzzing right in front of your nose.

Michele
Old 02-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I like Stevie's comments on Lindsey's Tusk songs:

WMYTYTO: "It was so raucous that the first time I listened to it, I just sat there in the studio going 'I wasn't on it. I wasn't there. I didn't sing on it. I don't know the song. I don't understand the words. I don't understand the music,
denial and ignorance is bliss i guess ... at least for her.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
denial and ignorance is bliss i guess ... at least for her.
Yeah, it's not like the words are that complicated.

Michele
Old 03-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

I truly appreciate all the participation in this rather challenging poll. I will probably close it in a day or two. So for those who have not voted yet: get on that!

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 03-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Guess I'll close this poll now!

So the overall champion is "What Makes You Think You're The One!!"

One of the best screw-offs set to music ever!

And GYOW, of course, was right behind.

I'm impressed with all your votes and this wasn't an easy feat, but I'm grateful to those who participated. Thank you!

And thank YOU Lindsey Buckingham for writing these flaw-free anti-love songs.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 03-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
One of the best screw-offs set to music ever!

And GYOW, of course, was right behind.

I'm impressed with all your votes and this wasn't an easy feat, but I'm grateful to those who participated. Thank you!

And thank YOU Lindsey Buckingham for writing these flaw-free anti-love songs.
And like many truly great songs, I don't think most of Lindsey's can really be categorized. With WMYTYTO, in the first first he seems to be talking about his own mortality and penetrability. What makes you think you're the one who can do all of these things, because I sure can't. I can't shield myself. I can't be immune. So, then when he moves on to the next "kiss off" verse it's more effective, because he's made himself human and he's not speaking out of just scorn, but about the personal cost of always being the one who is there and leaned upon. Used.

So, then, what's magic about the last verse is that he's speaking prospectively. I'm not always going to love you and this won't last forever, but it's in effect now. I like the way the verses hang together, to tell a complete, dimensional point of view. Michele
Closed Thread