The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: under beautiful desert skies of the Tri-cities in WA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
Thanks for the photos, Celtic Gypsy...! It amazes me how clear the photos are.
Can I ask a couple questions:
What row were you in?
Where and How long did you have to wait to get the autograph?

Our tickets were for row N but they upgraded some people before the concert. We were shown our seats and before we could sit down another lady came and told us to move up to Row G so we were right dab in the middle. We could see Lindsey very well and even standing up I had no problems seeing him and I am short. My hubby took the photos and a lot of people that took pics got warned. We were warned after taking the second photo. There really wasn't security but theatre employees (a few older ladies) that would come and say no pictures.

We had to drive around to the back and parked so it took about 15 mins to wait until he came out of the building. He was very nice to take time to talk to a few fans and get some photos taken.

So I close my eyes softly
Til I become that part of the wind

♥Debra♥
Old 09-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
And thankfully he keep his sermons to a minimum. Only once did he briefly baffle the audience with some sort of point he was trying to make!

LOL. We should ask for some speeches. Instead of shouting "Countdown" we should yell for him to talk about the Gods on Mt. Olympus.

That was a great review.

Michele
Old 09-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
LOL. We should ask for some speeches. Instead of shouting "Countdown" we should yell for him to talk about the Gods on Mt. Olympus.

That was a great review.

Michele

Yes, I was one of the fans who worried about "Lindsey's speeches" too. He didn't ramble on and on. I liked when he said how much he appreciated his family and that life is good now. He basically said that he had made mistakes in his past with relationships or something like that? Don't remember his exact words but he seemed very happy to be married and have a family life. I am one of those people that wished he and Stevie had worked out their romantic relationship but its nice that Lindsey loves his wife and adores his kids. Its great that he found someone to really make him happy. Was funny when he talked about time in Malibu long ago and he couldn't remember those days too well. haha The new songs are pretty good. His voice sounded really good - very strong and clear.

♥Debra♥
Old 09-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
WOW! That shot with the red background? Exceptional!!! Thanks for posting!

Yes, my hubby took that photo

♥Debra♥
Old 09-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Okay, whomever wrote this did a nice job... Extremely funny! It's long, but worth the read.

A Bloggers account of Portland.

A Concert For The Aged

Last night at Newmark Theater I had the pleasure of watching a man sing and play guitar for more than two hours. The man's name was Lindsey Buckingham, and this was only the tour's third show in support of Gift of Screws, the new CD he has coming out next week. This little piece chronicles not only the show itself but the entire evening and the cast of characters of our fair city who populated it. Fear not, you who strive to Keep Portland Weird. It still is.

The evening started well enough. We decided to pilot an earth killer into town an hour early as a pre-emptive strike against the dreaded No Available Parking eventuality. As we feared, every street we first encountered was lined with vehicles from corner to corner as far as the eye could see. The feeling of relief exuded by those who had scored parking spots ahead of us hung palpably in the air, almost as a mist, clouding our vision. I had just begun to despair when it happened. We spied the opening we had been looking for! I hit the gas so hard that we nearly went back in time! I managed somehow to maintain control of the vehicle, hitting my mark and executing an electrifying parallel parking maneuver in one fluid motion. My wife and I sat back smiling, congratulating ourselves on a job well done.

And then I saw it, the ghastly sign portending a temporary apocalypse. 15 Minute Limit it squealed in big bold letters not 12 inches from my side mirror. No wonder the space was empty whilst all about us the curbs were literally crammed with parked vehicles! And then my moral quotient took a nosedive. "I wonder if it's OK to park here," I reasoned to myself, "if you don't see that sign?" And shamefully I set to carry out my sinister plan.

I scanned the vicinity with haunted eyes, wondering if we could somehow get away without being held accountable for our sleight of car routine. As luck would have it there were two ladies not 15 feet away on a nicotine jones errand of mercy watching while my conscience wrestled me to the floor. Alas, we'd been seen! And then it hit me: could I possibly invite these ladies to take a bit of the culpability off my hands, at least enough so that I could pretend I had reasonable grounds to think I was OK here? After all, if we all thought it was OK, well, then maybe it really was! Guilt has always proved a harsh taskmaster, my friends, but tonight her training paid off in spades.

I turned to my soon-to-be accomplices, assuming the naivete of a lost child. I'm telling you, weaker women would have wept. "What does that sign mean?" I asked, my voice conveying a hint of incredulity. Surely whatever meaning expressed in those words couldn't possibly include me, could it?

I could see they both knew how the game was played. Seizing the opportunity to assume membership in the coveted People That Know Things club, the purveyors of Big Tobacco smiled. The lady on the right croaked, "It doesn't mean anything now, it's after 7 o'clock". I checked my cell phone. Sure enough, it was 7:05. We thanked those ladies profusely (for the clock striking 7, I guess) and bid them sweet adieu. I've no doubt we added to the pheromone cocktail that spelled R-E-L-I-E-F that night. We walked away silently thanking Lindsey for refusing to work before 8 p.m.

A few minutes later found us in the lobby of the Performing Arts building. Folks were milling around looking a little dazed. After all, how do you act before a Lindsey Buckingham concert? Does anyone know? It's obvious if you were going to see, say, Metallica or Twisted Sister. Luckily for everyone there was a bar here, so that gave us all a place to begin. Looking around I could vouch that everyone in attendance had long since passed carding age and so bellied up without fear. My wife and I decided upon a few adult beverages and likewise put our livers to work. I still sensed a bit of tension in the group, though, hinting to the problem which would manifest during the concert itself despite the titanic rocking efforts of Mr. Buckingham.

It wasn't long before seating was announced, though unfortunately I was taking up space in the restroom at the time and was unable to answer the call immediately. I did manage to observe a bit of the minutia of human behavior there which has long fascinated me. I wondered if the Make No Eye Contact rule would still hold in the bathroom if everyone present knew that everyone else in the room was as excited as they were to see the same performer do his thing, and only moments away at that! But no, there would be no associative familiarity this night. Everyone I saw in that room went about pretending he neither saw nor heard anyone else. I pondered this while we found our seats. Thankfully, we didn't have to wait long.

Lindsey strode serenely onto the stage in near total darkness, the silence broken only by various hoots and hollers. But eventually I shut up when I realized I was the only one expressing any excitement that way. The crowd was hushed. Lindsey strapped on his guitar and we waited for takeoff. All at once the blinding lights came on and Lindsey tore into his first number with reckless abandon, an approach he favored the entire night! It was soon apparent to all that he has put a good deal of practice into his instruments of choice. Guitars, that is. All 16 of them. Or so it seemed to me, for he seemed to switch instruments after nearly every song!

Or was that before every song? Permit me a bit of timeline angst, my friends, for who can say, really? One thing's for sure, I'll wager that guitar tech of his could solve this mystery if his brain is anywhere near as nimble as his feet. I watched that fella scamper around the back of the stage all night like a spider hauling six-stringed insects in his clutches, staying low and keeping to the shadows while he went about his deadly work. I marveled at his dexterity, how he glided over cables and cords while keeping his vertical at a level that would make a limbo champion blush. What would such a man as that say to my query? I think such a man as he would point out that, because Lindsey didn't switch guitars before his very first song, the switch must therefore have come after it, and so on and so forth through the whole set list. And so we, being reasonable men, would in turn agree not question his profound wisdom during these proceedings.

The confusion over which came first, the switch or the song, pales in comparison to the herculean effort yours truly put forth in a dogged attempt to wring every last erg of unadulterated joy out of the evening. I carried that entire arena on my back for most of the night, and this was the problem I alluded to earlier. That's right, my friends, I was surrounded by a multitude of individuals who evidently thought they were there to see Yo-Yo Ma. The gentleman on my right seemed positively frightened by the intensity coming off the stage, not to mention from the man flailing about to his left. I was horrified to see that all around me people were merely viewing the proceedings instead of actually taking part in them, forcing me to single-handedly carry the whole responsibility of audience participation myself.

I just wasn't up to the task, my friends. I shouted myself hoarse by the fourth song. My hands were swollen and sore ham hocks by the halfway mark and I started to feel the effects of whiplash by the time Lindsey reached Go Your Own Way near the end of his set list. I was spent. I had failed.

And then it happened.

The arena of people seemed to realize as one that they weren't there to observe "art" with restraint and faint applause, sitting around clucking their tongues like a gaggle of barnyard hens. No, although that was what their training as Portland citizens had taught them to do in the presence of any artist, the familiar strains of that old classic song snapped them out of their malaise at once. We rose as one the moment we realized Lindsey was about to entreat each of us to go our own way, shouting along to the lyrics in a rock and roll frenzy. The noise was deafening, thankfully drowning out my budding laryngitis, but Lyndsey was able to carry us home in spite of my injury, strutting about the stage like a peacock in leather boots while we urged him on.

There were only about 5 more songs after this, but the resurrection was complete. This was his crowd now, and I got the idea that everyone was thinking, "What were we waiting for? This is fun!" at the same time. No one bothered to thank me for getting us that far but I guess that's OK. Lindsey Buckingham was the star last night and I, for one, won't soon forget the outrageous fortune of seeing him perform live.

And for the curious, the songs he played off his soon to be released new CD tells me that Buckingham fans are in for a real treat!
Old 09-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow

What is wrong with people? I hate crowds that are dead and wait until he plays GYOW to get off their ass to have some friggin' fun.

I cannot begin to express my frustration with the Fort Worth crowd during the DVD taping.

I just don't understand buying tickets to Lindsey's concert and not getting excited until he does GYOW. Makes no sense to me. I HATE GYOW live, for the most part. The only cool thing is playing his guitar. Throw your tomatoes, I can take it.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

Quote:
Okay, whomever wrote this did a nice job... Extremely funny!
yes, incredibly funny... thanks for posting!
Old 09-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post
I HATE GYOW live, for the most part. The only cool thing is playing his guitar.
I wonder if people are still playing his guitar. They didn't at the Saratoga Winery. The guards had warned against it, but if Lindsey had assumed the position and crouched at the foot of the stage, I'm sure security would have allowed people to approach. Lindsey didn't initiate any guitar stroking that first night. Maybe it's resumed. Michele
Old 09-13-2008, 01:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Okay, whomever wrote this did a nice job... Extremely funny! It's long, but worth the read.

A Bloggers account of Portland.

A Concert For The Aged

Last night at Newmark Theater I had the pleasure of watching a man sing and play guitar for more than two hours. The man's name was Lindsey Buckingham, and this was only the tour's third show in support of Gift of Screws, the new CD he has coming out next week. This little piece chronicles not only the show itself but the entire evening and the cast of characters of our fair city who populated it. Fear not, you who strive to Keep Portland Weird. It still is.

The evening started well enough. We decided to pilot an earth killer into town an hour early as a pre-emptive strike against the dreaded No Available Parking eventuality. As we feared, every street we first encountered was lined with vehicles from corner to corner as far as the eye could see. The feeling of relief exuded by those who had scored parking spots ahead of us hung palpably in the air, almost as a mist, clouding our vision. I had just begun to despair when it happened. We spied the opening we had been looking for! I hit the gas so hard that we nearly went back in time! I managed somehow to maintain control of the vehicle, hitting my mark and executing an electrifying parallel parking maneuver in one fluid motion. My wife and I sat back smiling, congratulating ourselves on a job well done.

And then I saw it, the ghastly sign portending a temporary apocalypse. 15 Minute Limit it squealed in big bold letters not 12 inches from my side mirror. No wonder the space was empty whilst all about us the curbs were literally crammed with parked vehicles! And then my moral quotient took a nosedive. "I wonder if it's OK to park here," I reasoned to myself, "if you don't see that sign?" And shamefully I set to carry out my sinister plan.

I scanned the vicinity with haunted eyes, wondering if we could somehow get away without being held accountable for our sleight of car routine. As luck would have it there were two ladies not 15 feet away on a nicotine jones errand of mercy watching while my conscience wrestled me to the floor. Alas, we'd been seen! And then it hit me: could I possibly invite these ladies to take a bit of the culpability off my hands, at least enough so that I could pretend I had reasonable grounds to think I was OK here? After all, if we all thought it was OK, well, then maybe it really was! Guilt has always proved a harsh taskmaster, my friends, but tonight her training paid off in spades.

I turned to my soon-to-be accomplices, assuming the naivete of a lost child. I'm telling you, weaker women would have wept. "What does that sign mean?" I asked, my voice conveying a hint of incredulity. Surely whatever meaning expressed in those words couldn't possibly include me, could it?

I could see they both knew how the game was played. Seizing the opportunity to assume membership in the coveted People That Know Things club, the purveyors of Big Tobacco smiled. The lady on the right croaked, "It doesn't mean anything now, it's after 7 o'clock". I checked my cell phone. Sure enough, it was 7:05. We thanked those ladies profusely (for the clock striking 7, I guess) and bid them sweet adieu. I've no doubt we added to the pheromone cocktail that spelled R-E-L-I-E-F that night. We walked away silently thanking Lindsey for refusing to work before 8 p.m.

A few minutes later found us in the lobby of the Performing Arts building. Folks were milling around looking a little dazed. After all, how do you act before a Lindsey Buckingham concert? Does anyone know? It's obvious if you were going to see, say, Metallica or Twisted Sister. Luckily for everyone there was a bar here, so that gave us all a place to begin. Looking around I could vouch that everyone in attendance had long since passed carding age and so bellied up without fear. My wife and I decided upon a few adult beverages and likewise put our livers to work. I still sensed a bit of tension in the group, though, hinting to the problem which would manifest during the concert itself despite the titanic rocking efforts of Mr. Buckingham.

It wasn't long before seating was announced, though unfortunately I was taking up space in the restroom at the time and was unable to answer the call immediately. I did manage to observe a bit of the minutia of human behavior there which has long fascinated me. I wondered if the Make No Eye Contact rule would still hold in the bathroom if everyone present knew that everyone else in the room was as excited as they were to see the same performer do his thing, and only moments away at that! But no, there would be no associative familiarity this night. Everyone I saw in that room went about pretending he neither saw nor heard anyone else. I pondered this while we found our seats. Thankfully, we didn't have to wait long.

Lindsey strode serenely onto the stage in near total darkness, the silence broken only by various hoots and hollers. But eventually I shut up when I realized I was the only one expressing any excitement that way. The crowd was hushed. Lindsey strapped on his guitar and we waited for takeoff. All at once the blinding lights came on and Lindsey tore into his first number with reckless abandon, an approach he favored the entire night! It was soon apparent to all that he has put a good deal of practice into his instruments of choice. Guitars, that is. All 16 of them. Or so it seemed to me, for he seemed to switch instruments after nearly every song!

Or was that before every song? Permit me a bit of timeline angst, my friends, for who can say, really? One thing's for sure, I'll wager that guitar tech of his could solve this mystery if his brain is anywhere near as nimble as his feet. I watched that fella scamper around the back of the stage all night like a spider hauling six-stringed insects in his clutches, staying low and keeping to the shadows while he went about his deadly work. I marveled at his dexterity, how he glided over cables and cords while keeping his vertical at a level that would make a limbo champion blush. What would such a man as that say to my query? I think such a man as he would point out that, because Lindsey didn't switch guitars before his very first song, the switch must therefore have come after it, and so on and so forth through the whole set list. And so we, being reasonable men, would in turn agree not question his profound wisdom during these proceedings.

The confusion over which came first, the switch or the song, pales in comparison to the herculean effort yours truly put forth in a dogged attempt to wring every last erg of unadulterated joy out of the evening. I carried that entire arena on my back for most of the night, and this was the problem I alluded to earlier. That's right, my friends, I was surrounded by a multitude of individuals who evidently thought they were there to see Yo-Yo Ma. The gentleman on my right seemed positively frightened by the intensity coming off the stage, not to mention from the man flailing about to his left. I was horrified to see that all around me people were merely viewing the proceedings instead of actually taking part in them, forcing me to single-handedly carry the whole responsibility of audience participation myself.

I just wasn't up to the task, my friends. I shouted myself hoarse by the fourth song. My hands were swollen and sore ham hocks by the halfway mark and I started to feel the effects of whiplash by the time Lindsey reached Go Your Own Way near the end of his set list. I was spent. I had failed.

And then it happened.

The arena of people seemed to realize as one that they weren't there to observe "art" with restraint and faint applause, sitting around clucking their tongues like a gaggle of barnyard hens. No, although that was what their training as Portland citizens had taught them to do in the presence of any artist, the familiar strains of that old classic song snapped them out of their malaise at once. We rose as one the moment we realized Lindsey was about to entreat each of us to go our own way, shouting along to the lyrics in a rock and roll frenzy. The noise was deafening, thankfully drowning out my budding laryngitis, but Lyndsey was able to carry us home in spite of my injury, strutting about the stage like a peacock in leather boots while we urged him on.

There were only about 5 more songs after this, but the resurrection was complete. This was his crowd now, and I got the idea that everyone was thinking, "What were we waiting for? This is fun!" at the same time. No one bothered to thank me for getting us that far but I guess that's OK. Lindsey Buckingham was the star last night and I, for one, won't soon forget the outrageous fortune of seeing him perform live.

And for the curious, the songs he played off his soon to be released new CD tells me that Buckingham fans are in for a real treat!

Thanks for posting this. Funny!

♥Debra♥
Old 09-13-2008, 01:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wonder if people are still playing his guitar. They didn't at the Saratoga Winery. The guards had warned against it, but if Lindsey had assumed the position and crouched at the foot of the stage, I'm sure security would have allowed people to approach. Lindsey didn't initiate any guitar stroking that first night. Maybe it's resumed. Michele

I didn't see anybody approach Lindsey to play the guitar in Portland. That was sort of disappointing to me. He really didn't bend down so the crowd could get closer to him. Security in Portland was a little strict. Everybody was getting warned if they took photos. I think people were afraid to breathe during the concert so they wouldn't get harrassed by the little elderly women ushers. haha

♥Debra♥
Old 09-13-2008, 07:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGypsy View Post
I didn't see anybody approach Lindsey to play the guitar in Portland. That was sort of disappointing to me. He really didn't bend down so the crowd could get closer to him. Security in Portland was a little strict. Everybody was getting warned if they took photos. I think people were afraid to breathe during the concert so they wouldn't get harrassed by the little elderly women ushers. haha
There was no guitar playing in Tahoe either, but security was more laid back. They didn't say anything about cameras when we entered and people who took cell phone photos did not get hassled. One lady tried to approach the stage, but she was stopped by another audience member, rather than by a staff person. Lindsey was standing over the speakers. As you mentioned, he didn't bend down for anyone to play his guitar either.

Michele
Old 09-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That was a fun write-up. It begs the question: Should Lindsey OPEN with "Go Your Own Way"???

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Macman for posting the blog.

Kudos to the anonymous author, wherever you are. Very clever wording.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In Seattle, he kind of went to the edge of the stage, however, there were two huge speakers on the ground right in front of him so nobody could have went up to play the guitar anyway. I think he saw that and didn't bother.

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 09-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

and the solo was better for it... it was one of the best GYOW solos i've heard in a while! he hasn't let anyone play at any of the shows i've seen! really if he is going to rip a monster solo i would rather it be note perfect!