User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:49 AM
Registered

Default Portland

Concert was pretty good.

Go Insane was refreshing. I've been hoping for a shakeup with Go Insane and/or Big Love, and I'm glad it actually happened with one of them.

The new songs were enjoyable to hear. Thankfully, all of them are still in the setlist (setlist was unchanged from Saratoga/Seattle).

Big gripe: I realize that there are budget constraints (ahem, Lindsey's jet/jet fuel), but these shows would be SO much better with an actual drummer with an actual drum kit. The middle part of Tusk and the entire drum solo of World Turning on the MIDI kit were some of the lamest musical moments I've ever experienced at a concert- especially one with a headliner as talented/noteworthy as Lindsey.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Concert was pretty good.

Big gripe: I realize that there are budget constraints (ahem, Lindsey's jet/jet fuel), but these shows would be SO much better with an actual drummer with an actual drum kit. The middle part of Tusk and the entire drum solo of World Turning on the MIDI kit were some of the lamest musical moments I've ever experienced at a concert- especially one with a headliner as talented/noteworthy as Lindsey.
Hey Luke,
Glad you liked the show. You are right about the drum kit. I thought that little drum solo with the keyboard sound of Lindsey's voice (or whatever it was) was a little bit cheesy.

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 09-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Junior Ledgie

Thumbs up

I thought the Portland show was fantastic! He seemed to play the same set list as described for the Saratoga show. And the audience was very enthusiastic, getting him to come back out for a terrific encore.

I thought this show was better than the two shows I saw last year: tighter (as were his pants , as mentioned by michelle), brighter (colorful backdrop w/tall poles and lights attached), and energized ( this being only the 3rd show though). The show has a more polished look to it.

Love the new songs and I was happy to hear "Countdown," one of my favorites. He played a beautiful red guitar on "Trouble" and "Go Insane"--I think those were the 2 songs. I was just struck about how beautiful the instrument looked while he was playing it. I enjoy watching him play guitar and his solos are just so beautiful to listen to. He frequently played the guitar with one hand.

I have no complaint with any of the songs he chooses to play, as some do, I'm just happy to hear him play and sing!
Old 09-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdancer View Post
I thought the Portland show was fantastic! He seemed to play the same set list as described for the Saratoga show. And the audience was very enthusiastic, getting him to come back out for a terrific encore.

I thought this show was better than the two shows I saw last year: tighter (as were his pants , as mentioned by michelle), brighter (colorful backdrop w/tall poles and lights attached), and energized ( this being only the 3rd show though). The show has a more polished look to it.

Love the new songs and I was happy to hear "Countdown," one of my favorites. He played a beautiful red guitar on "Trouble" and "Go Insane"--I think those were the 2 songs. I was just struck about how beautiful the instrument looked while he was playing it. I enjoy watching him play guitar and his solos are just so beautiful to listen to. He frequently played the guitar with one hand.

I have no complaint with any of the songs he chooses to play, as some do, I'm just happy to hear him play and sing!
Sounds fantastic...
Old 09-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Love the new songs and I was happy to hear "Countdown," one of my favorites.
Did he play Countdown? Or are you thinking of Don't Look Down?

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 09-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He played 'Countdown'? I don't think I'd seen that on any lists for the other shows. I'd love to see that one.

Was trouble done like the Soundstage arrangement with all 3 of the other guys playing stuff or was it done like the Bass Hall DVD where he's completely alone?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliP View Post
Did he play Countdown? Or are you thinking of Don't Look Down?
I think you might be right. I was thinking of bringing a pad and paper to write down the set list and my impressions of the evening but I didn't. Next time...
Old 09-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Registered

Quote:
I think you might be right. I was thinking of bringing a pad and paper to write down the set list and my impressions of the evening but I didn't. Next time...
He played Don't Look Down.

Ali! I owe you a PM!!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
He played 'Countdown'? I don't think I'd seen that on any lists for the other shows. I'd love to see that one.

Was trouble done like the Soundstage arrangement with all 3 of the other guys playing stuff or was it done like the Bass Hall DVD where he's completely alone?
Someone pointed out that it might not have been Countdown--wishful thinking on my part?
I think he played Trouble alone--the others who were there can correct me if I'm wrong.

Best part of the evening is watching how much fun LB is having performing in front of an audience. Also, I'd love if he'd take a half hour break and come back and play another hour. The time he played went by too quickly.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: under beautiful desert skies of the Tri-cities in WA.
Default Photos my hubby took Sept 10 of Lindsey

Me and Lindsey and some girl's chin by my face

The concert was very good. Lindsey was very nice. He said FM would be getting together soon to start rehearsals/working together.

Debra

So I close my eyes softly
Til I become that part of the wind

♥Debra♥
Old 09-12-2008, 05:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: under beautiful desert skies of the Tri-cities in WA.

Quote:
Someone pointed out that it might not have been Countdown--wishful thinking on my part?
I think he played Trouble alone--the others who were there can correct me if I'm wrong.

Best part of the evening is watching how much fun LB is having performing in front of an audience. Also, I'd love if he'd take a half hour break and come back and play another hour. The time he played went by too quickly.

Trouble was one of the first songs he played but he did play several songs alone without his band. The audience loved Go Your Own Way and everybody was singing along. That was really cool. He was very nice and seemed so happy that the audience appreciated his music.

So I close my eyes softly
Til I become that part of the wind

♥Debra♥
Old 09-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGypsy View Post
The concert was very good. Lindsey was very nice. He said FM would be getting together soon to start rehearsals/working together.

Debra

Lovely pictures, especially the last one. Michele
Old 09-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This was the fourth show of Lindsey's I've been to...all in Portland, OR. The first was his Out Of Cradle show -- which really can't compare to any others for the huge army of guitarists in that band. Then I saw his Under the Skin show twice; he surprisingly came back to Portland later in the tour!

This latest show (third show of the tour) seemed to achieve a great balance. More light-hearted and upbeat, and less moody than his last tour. His voice struck me this time as being extremely strong, clear and controlled...perhaps for the fact it hasn't had time to get road-weary.

And big kudos to him for being brave enough to open his show with not one but two new songs...and close with a new one ...even before the album has released. When was the last time anyone in Fleetwood Mac did that? Next to never! He even modified a few well-known/performed songs -- either in length, arrangement or style -- enough to make them fresh. I was completely impressed.

And thankfully he keep his sermons to a minimum. Only once did he briefly baffle the audience with some sort of point he was trying to make!

I left the show with a newfound appreciation for Lindsey. Lately he's acting like Fleetwood Mac was in the 1970's/1980's. Back then you could at least expect a Mac or solo album every year. If you compare their collective output then compared to now, it's pretty grave. Yet, unexpectedly it's Lindsey--not Stevie! -- who has become the most prodigious. Three albums in three years!!! Does anyone realize how unprecedented that is???!!!!

2008 Gift Of Screws 2007 Live at Bass Hall 2007 Under The Skin....wow!

The preconceived notion that Lindsey just widdles away for years in his studio and nothing ever comes to light is now shattered. Obviously, at this time in his life he has rekindled a passion to make and release music that adds to his solo legacy. And I guess, without having to deal with the twisted democracy of Fleetwood Mac, he must feel a great deal of liberation...which results in us getting 3 Lindsey albums in 3 years!

It's very surprising that he still entertains any ideas of working in the context of Fleetwood Mac. That just shows what a loyal, stand-up guy he can be. Stevie has always overshadowed my appreciation for Lindsey. But right now it's all about Lindsey. It's LindseyTime...or maybe LindseyLand, or...

Last edited by PenguinHead; 09-12-2008 at 02:26 PM..
Old 09-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGypsy View Post
Me and Lindsey and some girl's chin by my face

Debra

WOW! That shot with the red background? Exceptional!!! Thanks for posting!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the photos, Celtic Gypsy...! It amazes me how clear the photos are.
Can I ask a couple questions:
What row were you in?
Where and How long did you have to wait to get the autograph?