User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
I'd agree that the more limited vocal range Stevie has these days, which is undeniable, has stifled a certain amount of creativity in her singing which is understandable. Better to play safe than try something that might lead to your voice cracking at the wrong moment...
Therein lies the problem. If she was an opera singer, I'd buy that argument. But she's a rock star. Live rock shows aren't about perfection or sounding magnificent on every note. It's about putting on a good show. Her RAL tour vocals were absolutely abysmal, but no one paid attention to any of that because the performances were so energetic and magical. She needs to understand that she doesn't have to stand in one place with perfect posture in order to hit a note perfectly. When she does that, she's dull, IMO. There are ways in which to let loose on songs without hurting your vocal chords.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Therein lies the problem. If she was an opera singer, I'd buy that argument. But she's a rock star. Live rock shows aren't about perfection or sounding magnificent on every note. It's about putting on a good show. Her RAL tour vocals were absolutely abysmal, but no one paid attention to any of that because the performances were so energetic and magical. She needs to understand that she doesn't have to stand in one place with perfect posture in order to hit a note perfectly. When she does that, she's dull, IMO. There are ways in which to let loose on songs without hurting your vocal chords.
I'd agree with that to an extent but she's not a youngster anymore. Her audiences have matured with her (yes I know she has younger fans but thats not my point here) and they I believe would prefer vocal perfection over energetic. You are not supposed to be energetic in your fifties (nobody told Lindsey!) She's a woman with a hip problem, add to that the menopause too and I'm amazed she's even been out on the road. To be honest I would rather take Stevie as she is now than her trying to recapture her youth, she's far more graceful than say, for instance, Cher. For Stevie to go full out energetic I don't think would work now, she's nearing retirement age!
Old 11-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Hello!

I don't understand what you mean by her being spontaneous because "she used to sing things differently," so no, I don't know that you're right.

She used to sing things differently because a) she was doped up all the time and b) because she had a larger range. That still has nothing to do with being spontaneous. Take away the drugs and the flexible voice and you get the Stevie of the nineties and today.
How do you know? She might be doing all kinds of things today if her voice were flexible, and if she was as mobile as she was before. You can't say for sure it's the drugs...IMO. I think she was really vocally spontaneous. Drugs don't give you whole new skills that you didn't have at all before. She had a great voice and she used it spontaneously (harmonies) and well.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
How do you know? She might be doing all kinds of things today if her voice were flexible, and if she was as mobile as she was before. You can't say for sure it's the drugs...IMO. I think she was really vocally spontaneous. Drugs don't give you whole new skills that you didn't have at all before. She had a great voice and she used it spontaneously (harmonies) and well.
If you want to circumvent reality to aid your argument, that's fine by me. But a careful inspection of her live performances tell a different story. The whole "vocally spontaneous" argument is just laughable to me, anyways. If I were to buy it, I could use the same argument for Lindsey.

Old 11-29-2004, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
If you want to circumvent reality to aid your argument, that's fine by me. But a careful inspection of her live performances tell a different story. The whole "vocally spontaneous" argument is just laughable to me, anyways. If I were to buy it, I could use the same argument for Lindsey.
I can't believe you deny she used to be vocally spontaneous. It boggles my mind. I think you're the one who is circumventing reality by saying, well, it was because of this and that. It still existed, she was spontaneous, I don't really care why. so, nyeah!
Old 11-29-2004, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'd agree with that to an extent but she's not a youngster anymore. Her audiences have matured with her (yes I know she has younger fans but thats not my point here) and they I believe would prefer vocal perfection over energetic. You are not supposed to be energetic in your fifties (nobody told Lindsey!) She's a woman with a hip problem, add to that the menopause too and I'm amazed she's even been out on the road. To be honest I would rather take Stevie as she is now than her trying to recapture her youth, she's far more graceful than say, for instance, Cher. For Stevie to go full out energetic I don't think would work now, she's nearing retirement age!
I agree, but wanting little more energy and enthusiasm than she has now is not an unrealistic expectation.

I don't think she's "more graceful" than Cher because what Cher's currently doing has been her schtick for forty years and it really hasn't changed much, if at all. Stevie's still doing the same schtick, but it's just gotten more rote and tired because she insists on hanging onto her youthfulness while not being able to be as energetic, unlike performers like Cher. That's just my opinion, though. I think that Stevie could recapture a lot of her magic if she performed different songs, ditched the Lindsey drama and the canned speeches and movements. Inject some freshness into all of it, revitalize it. She doesn't have to swing from the rafters wearing a tube top and panties in order to do so. She doesn't have to run about the stage stripping off her clothes, either. If she can't handle singing the high energy songs, don't sing them. Bring out some old chestnuts like Storms and make the show more intimate. If you can't wear platforms, don't wear them. Don't wear ridiculous, laughable things such as those Reeboks in order to substitute for not being able to wear the real deal. Be practical and just wear regular shoes instead of turning it all into a ridiculous joke. Just don't wear the same outfit every night, sing the songs the same way every night, or spin around in platform Reeboks and still expect to be considered a great performer like you were back in the day. Just scale it all down. If others like that, fine, to each his own. I just think she needs to freshen everything up and if she does so, it would only mean positive things.

Last edited by dissention; 11-29-2004 at 03:13 PM..
Old 11-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I can't believe you deny she used to be vocally spontaneous. It boggles my mind. I think you're the one who is circumventing reality by saying, well, it was because of this and that. It still existed, she was spontaneous, I don't really care why. so, nyeah!
Yeah, because drugs had nothing to do with it.

Like I said, being spontaneous is not changing a line in Rhiannon every few weeks on tour. If you think so, great. I don't. So, nyeah!

Old 11-29-2004, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She doesn't have to swing from the rafters wearing a tube top and panties in order to do so. She doesn't have to run about the stage stripping off her clothes, either.
Oooh, what shows have you been to recently?

I'm obviously following the wrong artists!!
Old 11-29-2004, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, because drugs had nothing to do with it.

Like I said, being spontaneous is not changing a line in Rhiannon every few weeks on tour. If you think so, great. I don't. So, nyeah!
I don't care if drugs had something to do with it. Fact is, most live vocal performances i heard from back in the day each had different nuances, sometimes different timing and different harmonies. SOTM is a good example. The Chain is a good example. Rhiannon is a good example. I'm not really talking about changing lines, necessarily I've just heard a ton of things where she sounds different every time.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't care if drugs had something to do with it. Fact is, most live vocal performances i heard from back in the day each had different nuances, sometimes different timing and different harmonies. SOTM is a good example. The Chain is a good example. Rhiannon is a good example. I'm not really talking about changing lines, necessarily I've just heard a ton of things where she sounds different every time.
She's obviously not going to sound the same on each song every time, especially when you're doing as much damage to your voice as she did. To say that the songs sound different because she's singing them differently on purpose just doesn't make sense in the big picture. Maybe she did here and there, who the hell knows, she very well could have. But I attribute it to not knowing how to sing properly for years most of the time. Start collecting audio boots from the past thirty years and listen to them, it only becomes more obvious.

She had a different voice for each album.

Old 11-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
If you can't wear platforms, don't wear them. Don't wear ridiculous, laughable things such as those Reeboks in order to substitute for not being able to wear the real deal. Be practical and just wear regular shoes instead of turning it all into a ridiculous joke.
Amen!! Those shoes are incredibly hideous. I really have NO CLUE why she wears them. NONE. WHY STEVIE WHY?!!

Old 11-29-2004, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
Amen!! Those shoes are incredibly hideous. I really have NO CLUE why she wears them. NONE. WHY STEVIE WHY?!!
Maybe she has a Napolean complex (who wouldn't with Mick Fleetwood around you 24/7?) and wants them for the added height.

Old 11-29-2004, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She's obviously not going to sound the same on each song every time, especially when you're doing as much damage to your voice as she did. To say that the songs sound different because she's singing them differently on purpose just doesn't make sense in the big picture. Maybe she did here and there, who the hell knows, she very well could have. But I attribute it to not knowing how to sing properly for years most of the time. Start collecting audio boots from the past thirty years and listen to them, it only becomes more obvious.

She had a different voice for each album.
I would tend to disagree here... The timing thing is a major issue.. The Chain from the '82 Mirage show wouldn't have been anywhere near as powerful if the timing of the words had not differed from the norm. (I'm using blue for LB, red for Stevie) "and if you don't love me now" " you do not lovvvveee me nowwww" "you will never never never never love me again, I can still hear you saying" " hear you saying" "you will never break" "never break" "never break the chain" "Arrggghhhhhhhhhhaaaa"
Old 11-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would tend to disagree here... The timing thing is a major issue.. The Chain from the '82 Mirage show wouldn't have been anywhere near as powerful if the timing of the words had not differed from the norm. (I'm using blue for LB, red for Stevie) "and if you don't love me now" " you do not lovvvveee me nowwww" "you will never never never never love me again, I can still hear you saying" " hear you saying" "you will never break" "never break" "never break the chain" "Arrggghhhhhhhhhhaaaa"
That is the best performance of The Chain ever.

I love watching it, it's obvious that they were so wasted. The intensity of it is rather chilling.

On another note, I wasn't speaking of timing, I'm speaking about how she used her voice.

Old 11-29-2004, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That is the best performance of The Chain ever.

I love watching it, it's obvious that they were so wasted. The intensity of it is rather chilling.

On another note, I wasn't speaking of timing, I'm speaking about how she used her voice.
Yes the "intensity" and the "energy" but also the timing and the word play between the two singers..

I'm gonna have to award a tie between the two of you guys here...

p.s I'm just listening to the Oakland 1982 show from the night before the famous LA gig and I have to say Stevie is playing with the words very differently right now during "Dreams"