Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-25-2004, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinLine
You obviously didn't understand the concept the first time so here it is again. There are thousands of people who visit the Penguin and other fan sites and don't post at all or rarely post. That doesn't mean they don't read the threads or arrived here yesterday or 3 days ago.
Believe me, I don't need you to explain anything to me twice. My point was, so what? And it still is. So what?

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know how to make change the size of the type and use the fancy red type to drive your point home once again.
Stick around. You'll learn.

Quote:
It seems many people including Marty missed the humor in your post and Marty commented on the hostility in your first post. You didn't point out to him in your reply that your references were supposed to be meant to be humorous and since he owns the site and you know that he's been here longer than 3 days, somehow he didn't see the humor either.
Marty can read. If he's read this whole thread by now and missed my point about the humor, that's unfortunate. But I've made the point.

I suspect you keep missing my other point. I'm not going to take scoldings from you. So I suggest you cease and desist, and go about your business.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
And if you didn't delete the thread, are we to understand some other moderator did it, and then you went to the trouble of posting about it, locking the thread with your post so you could get the last word, then posting again while everybody else still couldn't? Why go through so much trouble to finish someone else's job?
I'm not saying whether I deleted it, or if someone else did it. The removal of the thread was made by mutual decision. Period.

The locked thread I created was in response to concern that the wrong impression was left by my last comments in the now-deleted thread.
My additional comments were made, solely because the more *I* thought about it, the more I felt that I owed someone an apology.

As I've said before, no one has to agree with it... it was a judgement call that I made.
And by all rights, I don't really owe you an explanation on this.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
That would be true if this were a public forum. However, this is not a public forum. This is a privately owned forum that is for entertainment purposes only. Marty owns this forum and has invested a lot of time, energy, and money into the forum. Therefore, he can do things his way. End of discussion. You do not have a say in how Marty runs his site. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. It's really that simple.
And you do not have a say in how I choose to criticise the site or make any other comments, for that matter. If you don't like it, move on to another post. It's that simple.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
If there were conversations on Burnish and BN.net about The Ledge, so be it. Our guidelines and FAQs don't apply anywhere but here.
Johnny, why didn't you ever step in when thread after thread not long ago was going for pages and pages about Mick's site. And the content of those threads made this burnish thread look like a defenseless kitten. Why isn't Mick's site immune to this kind of thing?
Old 08-25-2004, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinLine
Sorry, I don't know how to make change the size of the type and use the fancy red type to drive your point home once again.
It's pretty easy. There is a font selection bar above the posting box. You just have to select the text you want to change by highlighting it and then select the font, color, or size.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 08-25-2004, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Sure hopes this helps, Carn.
You bet! Your sincerity is much appreciated.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

CarneVaca--

Even though you apparently know what I'm going to say before I post, I will repeat the bottom line once again, even though it has been expressed by others in this thread several times. This is a privately owned board-- if you don't like it, just leave. I do not spend my time thinking about how to make this the best forum possible for you personally. Hopefully, that doesn't hurt your feelings. The current set up and management of the Ledge is something that I am comfortable with continuing and I see no reason to change it at this time. You (and a few others) clearly disagree and that is duly noted. I do not feel that you speak for the vast majority and I also strongly feel that I can have rules on my own website if I want.

With respect to your red words and capital letters in the original post, I did not see the humor in it. I found it to be ordering me to do something which I have no intention of doing and it was, in my opinion, rude. There are more polite and tactful ways of bringing up an issue. A few months back someone politely did request a few less stickies at the top of one of the Ledges. I reviewed them and thought a few were outdated, so I unstuck them. A reasonable request was met with prompt compliance. I feel the stickies that are up there now are all still relevant so, for the time being, they will stay. I would like to add that pressing your 'space bar' will jump down a page anyway in most browsers so they should be simple to bypass.

- Marty

P.S.-- I am going to go now and stick a few dozen more threads for you. (THIS is a joke- the mood surely needs to be lightened here.)
Old 08-25-2004, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I'm not saying whether I deleted it, or if someone else did it. The removal of the thread was made by mutual decision. Period.
Mutual decision? How can that be when the thread creator is here protesting the deletion?

Quote:
And by all rights, I don't really owe you an explanation on this.
You must feel you do, or you would have just ignored the whole thing, no?
Old 08-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My 3 cents on this whole issue:

1. There are too many stickies, but I'm sure I'll survive scrolling down a page.

2. I don't believe that threads should be locked unless things REALLY get out of hand.

3. I don't believe that threads should be deleted unless they contain offensive and innapropriate content.

4. I don't believe that the Burnish thread had anything offensive or innapropriate in it.

5. I'm ecstatic that Zeps and Sharks hit the high road, it was an eye sore. But I would not have deleted it, just locked it.

6. Release that bad karma, boy and girls.

Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
And the reason that I have no doubt this was arbitrary and without merit is that for months last year there were more threads here criticizing Mick's board than any other topics. And the stuff that was being posted was pretty nasty. And when I suggested to Marty that he put a stop to it because it reflected poorly on the Ledge itself, he roundly repudiated me. So I find this particular thread deletion especially curious in light of that. I suspect it had something to do with a moderator's friendship with the owner of burnish.net.
The threads concerning Mick's site and board were allowed, because it involved very honest criticisms that fans had in regards to the way things were being run. These were people who paid their money to join the fanclub, and then were not being allowed to voice their opinions on how it was run.

It was felt that these paying members should be allowed to voice their opinions somewhere. And that others who were contemplating joining the club, had a forum in which they could ask questions and express concerns about it.

And if you'll recall, it was stated even then that derogatory comments made about the posters on Mick's board weren't acceptable here, and the moderators here stepped-in when comments made by posters on Mick's board, were being quoted here.
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsnake
Oh my stars.
You saw stars? I wouldn’t wanna have to clean up that mess. How did everyone else fair?
Old 08-25-2004, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
So I find this particular thread deletion especially curious in light of that. I suspect it had something to do with a moderator's friendship with the owner of burnish.net.
See, this is why being a moderator is so frustrating. There were people upset because they felt JS wasn't defending Tracy enough, and now there are people upset that JS is showing her favoritism. The truth is you can NEVER please EVERYONE. I feel your pain, JS!

Old 08-25-2004, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ½ ¡Ñ§ÅñË ®
You saw stars? I wouldn’t wanna have to clean up that mess. How did everyone else fair?
*thud*

Darling, where have you been all my life?

Old 08-25-2004, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
Even though you apparently know what I'm going to say before I post, I will repeat the bottom line once again, even though it has been expressed by others in this thread several times. This is a privately owned board-- if you don't like it, just leave.
Marty, you sure have spent a considerable amount of time inviting me to leave. You have the power if you don't want me around. Why keep sounding the same note?

All this because I questioned a couple of things on the site? Is that not allowed?

Quote:
I do not feel that you speak for the vast majority and I also strongly feel that I can have rules on my own website if I want.
Have I said otherwise? You throw sarcastic comments at me saying you "hope you don't hurt my feelings" when you can't seem to take a little criticism. I asked some questions, is all.

Quote:
With respect to your red words and capital letters in the original post, I did not see the humor in it. I found it to be ordering me to do something which I have no intention of doing and it was, in my opinion, rude.
Marty, I accept what's humorous to me is not humorous to everyone. If the bolding and colors bother you, can't you disable them? You have the power. And as far as my ordering you, come on. You can't possibly believe that I actually seriously was trying to order you. I find that baffling.

Quote:
There are more polite and tactful ways of bringing up an issue.
With all due respect, I violated nothing in the FAQ. So I find it somewhat baffling that you are taking issue with something I posted because it doesn't meet your standards of good manners. I can accept it doesn't, but for you to make a point of it strikes me as unnecessary. I broke no rules.

Quote:
P.S.-- I am going to go now and stick a few dozen more threads for you. (THIS is a joke- the mood surely needs to be lightened here.)

Old 08-25-2004, 07:48 PM
Registered

Quote:
Believe me, I don't need you to explain anything to me twice. My point was, so what? And it still is. So what?

Stick around. You'll learn.

Marty can read. If he's read this whole thread by now and missed my point about the humor, that's unfortunate. But I've made the point.

I suspect you keep missing my other point. I'm not going to take scoldings from you. So I suggest you cease and desist, and go about your business.
I see there's nothing from you about this statement because you're always right.

Quote:

This is utter nonsense. I told him "how to design and run his site?" I'd like you to quote back to me where I said that. You can't because I never said it
I did, you said it and I quoted it back to you.

Quote:
I suspect you keep missing my other point. I'm not going to take scoldings from you. So I suggest you cease and desist, and go about your business
Take it, leave it, read it, don't read it, put me on your ignore function....... but you don't control my right to post when I think something is wrong. You also don't control this site, where there are stickies placed, how many there are or how Marty and the moderators run this site.

I don't need to stick around, I've been around and like I said, probably a lot longer than you. You've been back peddling for a few posts now. The only point you've made is showing everyone that you have no respect for the site owner and you're not willing to back down and think you can bully other posters, old or new into submission. For someone who doesn't like to take orders you do a good job of ordering other people around.

I don't think Marty's taking any orders from you anytime soon, but as I stated in my other post it bothers many people to see site owners harrassed and disrespected on their own site.