The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-26-2003, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She's tried to stop smoking before, and she was tired 20 years ago, already. A shame.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by 4Buck
You are right.

Here is what Nicks was saying years and years ago:

USA Today
August 16, 1994

Nicks Shedding Gypsy Ways
by Shawn Sell

……………………..She stopped smoking "December 12," she says, and her voice has never been in better shape.........
............Movies maybe? TV? "Absolutely not!" she says. "I can't stand to have a camera right in my face, always having to worry, 'Is this the best side of me or is that?' I can't even stand to do videos any anymore." .................................

She also can’t abide talk about her weight, which has been on the up side in recent years. "When you're as short as I am (5-foot-1), 10 extra pounds makes you look totally blown up."
The story about her manager who became an ex-employee when he told her she had to lose 20 pounds or forfeit her career is true, she says. "But then," she adds with a laugh, "I did lose the 20 pounds." ..................................

"It hurts me," she adds. "It hurts my heart to hear people say these sorts of things about me. As if, unless you look a certain way, your music is not important anymore. I'm 46. I am who I am." ……………………………

It's that self-sufficiency that defines Nicks in the '90s. "I've been around too long not to be happy with myself, and I'm enjoying being by myself," she says adding there is "no one special in my life now." (As for long ago beau Lindsey Buckingham: "He doesn't speak to me; we don't speak at all actually. He only played at the inauguration because I called him on the phone and begged him.")

Creem 1982

Stevie Nicks, Macrame Goddess: Confronting the Gates of Elmo
By Sylvie Simmons

" "My voice is alright now. I worked a long time on it. But a year is too long--I could probably tour six months a year solid, but I cannot tour for 12. I'm not 18, you know. It gets harder and harder to be wonderful every night in front of all those kids that you're 15 years older than. I'd like to tour for two months on and two months off. Three weeks off doesn't cut it.

"I can't even get all my clothes unpacked and cleaned and packed again in three weeks.

"Otherwise it's not fair to the people you're playing for. I don't want a tired Stevie walking out onstage and trying to do 'Rhiannon' when I'm dead. You can never call in sick. You can be on the side of the stage with terrible cramps and all of a sudden you've got 30 seconds to try not to even let that come into your head. I've seen a lot of concerts that because of extreme exhaustion aren't special. For me there's nothing I'd rather do than go to a great rock concert. But there's nothing I'd rather not do than go to a rock concert by a great band that isn't good."

Even though I agree that she should just be herself, I am so glad she lost the weight. It was almost like she was at an unhealthy weight at one point. And I'm sure she is much happier now!

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 08-27-2003, 05:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by diamondsnake
To these people that are saying that she did not look bad at the Clinton concert, did you even see it? I love Stevie so much, but lets not lie. She was very overweight, maybe even obese during this time frame. It was mainly her face, which I think would be the worst place to gain weight. Stevie is sexy now. Sorry to be blunt, but I think she looked really bad. Even though I'm sure her music was pretty good, it is distracting at a conert when you know how gorgeous the person really is. Sorry to offend anyone, but I'm just going to tell it like it is. I am very happy that she lost all that wieght because now she is confident in herself.
Tell me something... have you ever been overweight? Obese? Stevie did get heavy but I would never class her as obese. Who gives a hit how much someone weighs anyway? last year I lost over 70lbs and I have struggled with my weight for most of my life. But I'm still the same person I was back then... people still love me for the same reasons they did not just because I am thinner. This probably sounds very rude and 'm sorry if it does but how can someone weight affect you as to how much you enjoy a concert?? Get over it!

Pip
Old 08-27-2003, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think because Buckingham, Christine, Fleetwood and John (who's thinner now than during the DANCE) are all/were slim, Nicks stands out. That and the fact when it's 90-something degrees in stadiums and she wears layers and layers of warm-looking (BLACK!) clothes, calls attention to her weight, rather than conceals it.

The thing is, whether anyone likes it or not, heavy people are going to be ostracized the way smokers have been. They're first working on the obese children, but obese children get this way mostly from the overweight moms feeding them the wrong foods, or mothers giving the children money for high-calorie fast foods.

Heavy people always claim that it's medication that puts on the pounds, and to some extent it is. But alcohol (especially!) candy, fried foods or chips in combination with the drugs exacerbate this.

The common retort from a fat person when someone criticizes her weight is that she doesn't eat much ....but then you see her chug down a few glasses of beer, drink wine (5 oz glass is 100 calories, folks!), eat a complete bag of Cheetos or carton of ice cream at one sitting, and you know she's fabricating. It's a lifestyle she's choosing, rather than something she can't help.....and short women can't eat as much as tall women, without gaining weight.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think because Buckingham, Christine, Fleetwood and John (who's thinner now than during the DANCE) are all/were slim, Nicks stands out. That and the fact when it's 90-something degrees in stadiums and she wears layers and layers of warm-looking (BLACK!) clothes, calls attention to her weight, rather than conceals it.

The thing is, whether anyone likes it or not, heavy people are going to be ostracized the way smokers have been. They're first working on the obese children, but obese children get this way mostly from the overweight moms feeding them the wrong foods, or mothers giving the children money for high-calorie fast foods.

Heavy people always claim that it's medication that puts on the pounds, and to some extent it is. But alcohol (especially!) candy, fried foods or chips in combination with the drugs exacerbate this.

The common retort from a fat person when someone criticizes her weight is that she doesn't eat much ....but then you see her chug down a few glasses of beer, drink wine (5 oz glass is 100 calories, folks!), eat a complete bag of Cheetos or carton of ice cream at one sitting, and you know she's fabricating. It's a lifestyle she's choosing, rather than something she can't help.....and short women can't eat as much as tall women, without gaining weight.
Um... men get fat too! LOL! And I personally have never claimed anything other than my own greed caused me to be fat. Having said that I certainly didn't choose the lifestyle but there are other factors in my life that added to this. Your statement is somewhat sweeping IMO

Pip

Pip
Old 08-27-2003, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

That is the most stereotypical and generalized statement I've ever read. To lump all these people into one view isn't fair or even remotely true.

Have you ever heard of a little thing called *metabolism*? I know several people, including past roomates, who didn't eat much at all, even restricted carbohydrate intake, and they still gained weight. It has nothing to do with all fat or obese people eating wrong; it has to do with their bodies. It's wrong to say that the reason these people are fat is because of the way they eat; it just isn't true.

Medications can play a huge part in weight gain. When i was on antidepressants, I gained a lot of weight. I knew going in that I would gain a little, but to the extent that I did. So what did I do? I forced myself to eat healthy. Bread & Circus was my second home. I never touched fried foods, fast food, candy, sugar, or red meat. But, I *still* gained weight. Why? In part because of my medication and in part because of my metabolism. I've since gone off the medication and lost all of the weight.

Also, you need to have some perspectivw when you talk about people who say they don't eat much but then pig out. Have you ever heard of eating disorders? Overeating is one of them and is a medical condition.

What you posted is unfair and I'm sorry you feel that way about overweight people. The people like you who have such opinions about people with extra pounds are the ones who should be educated on metabolism and the human body and it's psyche; you seem to have no grasp of either.

Last edited by dissention; 08-27-2003 at 09:56 AM..
Old 08-27-2003, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I have to agree with dissention and Pip. From a personal point of view, I haven't had a drop of alcohol in six years, don't eat fried food and exercise every day. I was told by several physicians that the medication I was on directly contributed to weight gain. Your rant sounds more like a personal dislike of women in general.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

and let us not forget age is not your friend in the weight gain/loss arena!!!!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 08-27-2003, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
and let us not forget age is not your friend in the weight gain/loss arena!!!!!!!!
So true. It's harder now than it was five years ago. Also, I/most people seem to be more prone to injury.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's every woman's option to not get married to the wrong man, not have children, not to be in a job they don't want to be in. There would be no need for "happy" medication, then,....................No need for "Prozac Mommies."

.........A way to avoid that would to be just change your lifestyle. It's that simple..........

...Nicks could have chosen to lead an easier life, but she chose to be in the limelight. She wasn't happy being Buckingham's muse in the background; she wanted to be on stage with guys lusting after her. Yeah, LB wanted her on stage, but she enjoyed being the focal point, as she could have refused LB's offer to perform on stage with him. But then she wasn't happy with being a star on the stage, either. She'd get too tired........

.....At Nicks' stage of the game, she could be a full-time producer, and be out of the limelight completely, but she needs so much help. .......TISL cd had one or two co-producers work with her for almost every song, and she relies on Buckingham to produce all her work for Fleetwood Mac. Of course, producing is extremely stressful. Buckingham can vouch to this (Phil Spector, also!), but Nicks wouldn't have to worry about which camera angle is more flattering to her.......

......As for being anti-woman - that's nonsense, as I'm a woman myself.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's every woman's option to not get married to the wrong man, not have children, not to be in a job they don't want to be in. There would be no need for "happy" medication, then,....................No need for "Prozac Mommies."

.........A way to avoid that would to be just change your lifestyle. It's that simple..........

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Pip
Old 08-27-2003, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I also think the other thing to remember about weight is that people are different and they gain and lose in different ways and for different reasons. Within the last year I lost over 80 pounds. I did it through a ton of exercise and a modified diet - but most people do not have the three or more hours a day I spent at the gym nor do they have the means to bring food with them pretty much everywhere they go like I did. So, I say do whatever is healthy and works for you and if you are not your ideal weight today, just keep at it - you eventually will get there. Most importantly, slipping up every now and then is perfectly okay as we are all human. Food for thought so to speak!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 08-27-2003, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Strandie, Check your PM's!

I know this is horribly un-PC, but it's important!

-Sharon
Old 08-27-2003, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
I also think the other thing to remember about weight is that people are different and they gain and lose in different ways and for different reasons. Within the last year I lost over 80 pounds. I did it through a ton of exercise and a modified diet - but most people do not have the three or more hours a day I spent at the gym nor do they have the means to bring food with them pretty much everywhere they go like I did. So, I say do whatever is healthy and works for you and if you are not your ideal weight today, just keep at it - you eventually will get there. Most importantly, slipping up every now and then is perfectly okay as we are all human. Food for thought so to speak!!!!
Well done with your weight loss!!!

Pip
Old 08-27-2003, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's every woman's option to not get married to the wrong man, not have children, not to be in a job they don't want to be in. There would be no need for "happy" medication, then,....................No need for "Prozac Mommies." .........A way to avoid that would to be just change your lifestyle. It's that simple..........
You have no idea what you are talking about, do you? You have no idea what mental illness means to the many people all over the globe who have mental illnesses like depression, Im talking about numerous documented generations where its a historical thing. You may want to educate yourself and maybe talk to someone who is going through it, it seems to me you are talking down on people who legitimatly need help. Like a "grow up and deal" attitude. Sometimes its not so easy.

I'd like to see YOU do a total 180 from your current lifestyle, then tell me how "simple" it truly was to do that. I highly doubt its simple, at least in the area where I live in, it wouldnt be that easy... things have to be taken care of, bills have to be paid. Sure I'd love to go make CDs or tape concerts for a living, but that's why its WORK. All's Im saying here is I dont think it would be as simple as you portray it to be. Perhaps it is, but if I were to do that personally it would be next to impossible. However, I like my job and have a good life so I have no complaints.

Not trying to attack you Buck, but I have the utmost sympathy and respect for those trying to better their lives and if they need medication to help them, so be it.

Pip, Im proud of you... I used to weigh almost 200 lbs... now im around 135... (gained weight this summer and currently dieting)... so 10 lbs to go and Im set. Good for you Pip!

Im alone now, with my thoughts...