The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-13-2005, 07:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I never understood why people thought the line "she sees her father holding her down" implied sexual abuse. If you interpret that line differently, the song goes in a completely other direction. I always took that line to mean someones father is holding her back, keeping her down, preventing her from hurting herself. Perhaps she even wants to kill herself at the loss of her fame and her father prevents her from doing so? So, instead, she just lays in her bed and lets herself drown, be miserable. That line does not have to mean sexual abuse and Lindsey has never implied that it does so. It could be about Anne, it could be about starlets in general. However, the main reason people started thinking this song was about AH was because they interpreted that one line to be about sexual abuse. At that time in her career, AH was on the rise. Her career was just starting. She certainly would not have been sitting home, looking at her face in an OLD magazine, reminiscing about what she used to have. (1992/93) AH would have been dreaming about what was to come, what she was working towards.
IMHO, the song is more about fame in general. How when someone depends on their fame for complete fulfillment and then they lose that fame, they really are left with nothing tangible.

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 10-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
I never understood why people thought the line "she sees her father holding her down" implied sexual abuse. If you interpret that line differently, the song goes in a completely other direction. I always took that line to mean someones father is holding her back, keeping her down, preventing her from hurting herself. Perhaps she even wants to kill herself at the loss of her fame and her father prevents her from doing so? So, instead, she just lays in her bed and lets herself drown, be miserable. That line does not have to mean sexual abuse and Lindsey has never implied that it does so.
You're right, it doesn't necessarily have to mean sexual abuse; it could also just be physical abuse. But I'm not sure the idea of her father simply metaphorically "holding her down" really holds up in the context of the rest of the song. The idea of her father as her protector just seems out of place. Miranda doesn't have any protectors - she's "always alone."

Also, a lot of the imagery revolves around the juxtaposition of light and dark - with Miranda using darkness as one way to hide from and forget about her problems (as when "she slips down the shade / and lets herself drown"). The image of her father, however, is associated with the light - she sees the image of her father only after "the sun starts to rise." But "the daylight" which heightens that image "is poison to her eyes." So in the context of the verse and the rest of the song, it really doesn't seem that her father is assuming the role of protector.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't really see it as her father being a protector...more that her father complicates things for her. "the light shines down the marina, all across the safety zone"..sort of implies that the protection was there for her, she just didn't see it, or take advantage of it.
I dunno, it is an interesting discussion though. I just have a different interpretation of Miranda than most people it seems.

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 10-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
I don't really see it as her father being a protector...more that her father complicates things for her. "the light shines down the marina, all across the safety zone"..sort of implies that the protection was there for her, she just didn't see it, or take advantage of it.
I dunno, it is an interesting discussion though. I just have a different interpretation of Miranda than most people it seems.
Nothing wrong with different interpretations, as it does make for interesting discussion!

As far as the line you quoted, I interpret it as another instance of the light/dark dichotomy, with the light once again laying bare all of the problems and issues Miranda is trying to hide from herself ("her safety zone" being the darkness in which she tries to forget those problems).

We definitely both agree that her father "complicates things for her," anyway...
Old 10-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
sarcastic underdog thing.
That sounds alot better than false humbleness.

By the way, don't you think I was saying very nice things about you and you only picked out some critical feedback?

Old 10-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think every part of Miranda screams Anne Heche. It's "right on the nose" equivalant would be if he wrote a song called "Lady Wearing Black Singing Next To Me". The line "She sticks the camera right into her arm" I agree is very powerful, and I think purposely so. That line thrust forward all the "media whore" concepts in the song. When someone brings up Anne Heche what comes to mind? "The crazy lady who wouldn't stop talking about how crazy she is" and "The lady who started banging a chick to get ahead" (actress might go in there somewhere). Someone mentioned about the magazine thing, but prior to meeting Buckingham she began her soap career so she would indeed have been on/in some magazines. So I guess that's my take on it, that I really can't see anything in that song that isn't Anne Heche. On a side note, as of lately it seems Celestia's universe has been quite calm and quiet. I think having her child probably took care of alot of demons for her, and I'm glad she's found some peace

Last edited by LuckyCharms; 10-13-2005 at 03:55 PM..
Old 10-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
That sounds alot better than false humbleness.

By the way, don't you think I was saying very nice things about you and you only picked out some critical feedback?
That depends. Do you think you picked out small parts of my posts to take issue with while ignoring others?
Old 10-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
That depends. Do you think you picked out small parts of my posts to take issue with while ignoring others?
I asked first

Old 10-25-2005, 04:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

I thought it was about drug/heroin addiction...