The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She often writes about her alter ego (SOTM and IMO GDW and Gypsy) and she often fantasizes about being someone else a la Julia, Garbo, etc. So, I think that is an open part of her life.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-06-2005, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitter_fades
Aside from playing up the witchy connection in the early years of FM, as much as she runs from it now does anyone wonder about her facination with the lady who has 2 personalities?
Well, she is a Gemini.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
Well, she is a Gemini.
Finally, someone injects some logic.
"I can't live with just one, I'm a Gemini" - SN

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 06-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, she is a Gemini.
the flower and the vine

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Finally, someone injects some logic.
"I can't live with just one, I'm a Gemini" - SN
That was the exact quote that popped into my head.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
That was the exact quote that popped into my head.
Great astro minds, and all that.
Ha, I wish I only had two personalities!!! *insert yellow laughie*

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 06-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Buckingham would've imploded if he had to release two albums a year.

We're lucky to get two albums a MILLENIUM from him.

Don't know about Lindsey, but Stevie certainly would have had plenty of songs for them! And I think in her earlier years, with a good producer, she could have done it. I think she *would* have done it too (two albums in a year). She wanted the career badly. ("I want to be a star...I don't want to be a cleaning lady"). Lindsey might have done it too, if he *had* to. If he wanted it badly enough, and had no other choice. So who knows. It would have been a way for them to be heard and seen and get their foot further in the door.

Once they get older and have more say in their career, they don't need to do even one album every year. But back then I think they and most musician/singers would bust their butt to get started in the business.

And seems like she did great even with:
Tusk 1979 ~followed by a long-ass tour
Bella Donna 1981
Mirage 1982
Wild Heart 1983

Then I think if she didn't start having problems with Jimmy Iovine, Rock A Little would have been out in 1984 instead of 1985. Maybe it was romantic troubles? Who knows. But I heard she started Rock A Little with him, then went to another producer in the middle of it.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitter_fades
The stuff about her not knowing the Rhiannon myth is hard to swallow. Perhaps she hadn't read all the books but I thought she said once that she got the idea while reading one of the Triad stories during an airline flight? I think the most significant thing she's ever said about writing Rhiannon was what she said at the Tuscaloosa BN show. She did mention Rhiannon was about a witch, but she also said she wrote the song about a lady with 2 personalities and that she was facinated by that.
I am not sure what show I have the BN Rhiannon from, but this is what she says to introduce the song:

"This next song is a brand new song, it's called Rhiannon, which is a Welch female name, I got it out of a book about a lady with two personalities, and I thought it was *sooo* fascinating that I just had to write a song about it. She's a little weird, but...I hope you like it 'cause it's brand new." (and then off topic, it sounds like she might be saying "...and *don't* play it too fast...." to the band?? If so, I think that is so funny. And then it is played fast, which I happen tothink sounds great. Oh well.

Anyways, I've been a Stevie fan since I was young, like around 1981, and things I've read since then, magazine interviews, books, etc. says she wrote the song about a character in a novel. The book is called Triad, by Mary Leader. It is like a "horror" or "mystery" novel, but not about the goddess Rhiannon or that myth.

Then later on when the song Rhiannon by FWM became famous on the radio, someone gave her the Rhiannon myth books (which are not written by Mary Leader, I forget who wrote them, you can probably look them up online at book stores that carry out-of-print books ~ but they are books about the old legend of Rhiannon, and other gods/goddess of the Welch pantheon), all about the Welch myth and legend. I have many goddess myths and stories from different pantheons around the world, and the Celtic ones are really interesting - funny how in school they only ever teach of the old Greek pantheon).

Witchcraft was becoming popular in the US in the early 70's and already had been getting popular in England. I am sure they all wondered about the song Rhiannon, and many probably became Stevie fans and probaly asked her about it, and probably even gave her more books, info, and talked to her about it all, including witchcraft, etc. Seems like Stevie Nicks likes reading about all religions though, not just pagan ones. I think of her as a very spiritual person, not as a pagan or witch. She did have a very witchy vibe inthe 70's, but there seems much more to her than just that.

lol- that's so funny (and true) about her seeming to "run from" the witchy word now - heh! But can we blame her for not wanting to dwell on soley the witchy part forever? She did get negative press and some people banning her albums. Why tick off a whole section of people (born-agains, baptists, etc.), and alientate them from your music.

In one book I have, it mentions when she gets upset of people talking about her always wearing black, so for the Tusk tour she got some pastel outfits, and within the band (or road crew or whatever, I forget) they (including Stevie too?) called them the Easter outfits - lol! But I do love some of those outfits. The in Mirage I love all the white and cream colored outfits she wore.

Last edited by Ghosty; 06-07-2005 at 12:23 PM..
Old 06-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty
Witchcraft was becoming popular in the US in the early 70's and already had been getting popular in England.

I think witchcraft had been popular in England since before Stonehenge was built...and in the US since the Mayflower hit Plymouth Rock in 1620.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD

I think witchcraft had been popular in England since before Stonehenge was built...and in the US since the Mayflower hit Plymouth Rock in 1620.

Well, it made a "comeback", shall we say, in the 60's and 70's.

The witches in Salem that were killed most likely were not "witches". Some debate they might have been "wise women" using herbs and healing. But most debate it was part hysteria, and part picking off women in the village so men in town could take their land (although some of the women were married...but others were single and when they were convicted and killed their land was up for cheap sales). And now there is even the thought that the wheat was infected with some fungus/bacteria/something which caused similar symptoms as taking acid. Go figure! That theory has a lot of sound sense to it though. The symptoms, the cows dying too, the weather conditions for causing the fungus (or whatever it is)...