The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 09-05-2015, 10:04 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is online now
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 4,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I agree
The only theory it did not make the album is maybe the lyrics. It really describes the klonopin era. Maybe Stevie was not ready to tell the world about this yet. The lyrics are very blunt and harsh. The chorus speaks for itself...."it seems like a thousand days since you've been gone."
Just my opinion....and guess
actually Thousand Days was about Prince.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 09-06-2015, 12:23 AM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Yes but we're going waaay off topic.
I seem to do that often.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 09-06-2015, 12:27 AM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
she still things her finger-braided hair was fabulous, as do I
If you're saying you think her hair looked good on Leno or Letterman
well...
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 09-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Rod~A~Little's Avatar
Rod~A~Little Rod~A~Little is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafan02 View Post
Greta and Thousand Days are the best things she recorded during the SA sessions. It's not her best album by far but does have some decent tracks (Maybe Love, Street Angel). I'm probably one of a few that detests Blue Denim. It really sounds generic to me and her version of Just Like A Woman is just a train wreck.
I agree with you on Just Like A Woman. Horrible!...Btw, the outtake "God's Garden" is the ONLY song of Stevie's I've never been able to listen all the way through. It's so slow that it makes Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You sound like a dance track.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 09-06-2015, 04:29 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,955
Default

What about the horrible vocal on Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind... She didn't believe in the song... She threw away the vocal... This could of been so much better with some conviction in the song.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 09-07-2015, 05:39 AM
twinmatrix twinmatrix is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 369
Default

Inspiration is such a beautiful song.

I love Street Angel. It's such a real, fragile, beautiful album. My favorite songs are Street Angel, Kick It, Destiny, Maybe Love, Blue Denim and Inspiration.

Listening through the album makes me feel close to emotion in a simple way, if that makes sense.

Last edited by twinmatrix : 09-07-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 09-07-2015, 07:12 AM
snroxman snroxman is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
What about the horrible vocal on Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind... She didn't believe in the song... She threw away the vocal... This could of been so much better with some conviction in the song.
A good point - thanks! I recall at the time thinking about the lack of a music video - in the era of music videos - and how determined that was.

I can also see this being the case on the original version for SA.

I *love* the song - especially the CLA remix . I'd love to hear what CLA could have done with the entire project. "Maybe Love" is always on my greatest hits playlist.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 09-08-2015, 10:55 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,537
Default

The songs aren't as bad as I thought previously; however, sometimes it sounds like I"m listening through a tape recorder.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 10-07-2018, 08:15 PM
TheWildHeart67's Avatar
TheWildHeart67 TheWildHeart67 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 499
Default

Quote:
Undoingthelaces said: And I've recently fallen in love with the TimeSpace version of Listen To The Rain, which has so much more oomph than the SA version.
I am responding to a 2015 post, quite belated, I know.
But, I am confused. What "TimeSpace version," of "Listen to the rain?" LTTR wasn't on the "Timespace" collection.
LTTR was released in 1994, on "Street Angel," which was a few years AFTER "Timespace" was released.
The only version of LTTR I've ever heard is the SA version. It has never appeared on the "Enchanted" box set or ""Crystal Visions," or any collection that I am aware of.
What was Undoingthelaces referring to?
__________________
<img src=images/smilies/jump.gif border=0 alt= title=jump class=inlineimg />
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 10-08-2018, 06:25 AM
bwboy bwboy is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod~A~Little View Post
I agree with you on Just Like A Woman. Horrible!...Btw, the outtake "God's Garden" is the ONLY song of Stevie's I've never been able to listen all the way through. It's so slow that it makes Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You sound like a dance track.
Wait a second- are you referring to the Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You Mega-Mix Shake Your Booty track LOL?!?

I would say skip Street Angel, but I do like a few songs enough that I never got rid of it. My CD has God's Garden and some other extra track on it, and they're both super depressing. I think one of Stevie's greatest weaknesses is writing about current events, as opposed to writing about things she really understands. Songs like Desert Angel, Jane, and Street Angel sound like she's trying too hard and IMO are horrific. Strong word but that's how I see it.
__________________
I'm seeing Lindsey Buckingham on Nov 26!
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 10-08-2018, 06:28 AM
bwboy bwboy is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snroxman View Post
A good point - thanks! I recall at the time thinking about the lack of a music video - in the era of music videos - and how determined that was.

I can also see this being the case on the original version for SA.

I *love* the song - especially the CLA remix . I'd love to hear what CLA could have done with the entire project. "Maybe Love" is always on my greatest hits playlist.
I recall reading at the time that Blue Denim was supposed to be the first single, and then it was changed to Maybe Love, so that's probably why there was no video, because it wasn't even supposed to be a single.
__________________
I'm seeing Lindsey Buckingham on Nov 26!
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 10-08-2018, 10:24 AM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is online now
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 4,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by He's So Unusual View Post
It's not all bad. It's just monotonous and uninspired. The tracks Kick It, Blue Denim, Rose Garden and Love Is Like a River are the jewels in amongst the many beige turds. I detest Jane, Unconditional Love, Destiny and Docklands with a passion. They offend me. God's Garden and Mirror, Mirror should have been included. I canít believe the latter was overlooked. Stevie's vocals are on fire. The album artwork is as dull as 90% of the album. The only song I would love to hear live is Kick It.
Mirror, Mirror was the only genuine resemblance to a fiery Stevie performance out of the lot.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 10-08-2018, 12:23 PM
UndoingTheLaces's Avatar
UndoingTheLaces UndoingTheLaces is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
I am responding to a 2015 post, quite belated, I know.
But, I am confused. What "TimeSpace version," of "Listen to the rain?" LTTR wasn't on the "Timespace" collection.
LTTR was released in 1994, on "Street Angel," which was a few years AFTER "Timespace" was released.
The only version of LTTR I've ever heard is the SA version. It has never appeared on the "Enchanted" box set or ""Crystal Visions," or any collection that I am aware of.
What was Undoingthelaces referring to?
It was recorded for TimeSpace but was left off. I honestly donít know if the bootleg thatís going around is a demo or the actual album track. The quality is about a B so itís not CD quality but itís pretty good. Iíll pm you when I get home and send it. There are two official releases. The one from Street Angel and one from the Enchanted box set. There was also a fan mix where those two were mixed together.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 10-08-2018, 12:28 PM
TheWildHeart67's Avatar
TheWildHeart67 TheWildHeart67 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 499
Default

Quote:
There are two official releases. The one from Street Angel and one from the Enchanted box set. There was also a fan mix where those two were mixed together.
My "Enchanted" box set does not have "Listen to the rain" on it.
__________________
<img src=images/smilies/jump.gif border=0 alt= title=jump class=inlineimg />
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 10-08-2018, 12:29 PM
UndoingTheLaces's Avatar
UndoingTheLaces UndoingTheLaces is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Wait a second- are you referring to the Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You Mega-Mix Shake Your Booty track LOL?!?

I would say skip Street Angel, but I do like a few songs enough that I never got rid of it. My CD has God's Garden and some other extra track on it, and they're both super depressing. I think one of Stevie's greatest weaknesses is writing about current events, as opposed to writing about things she really understands. Songs like Desert Angel, Jane, and Street Angel sound like she's trying too hard and IMO are horrific. Strong word but that's how I see it.
There was a period in the 90ís where they were taking 70ís and 80ís performers and pushing them on AOR (album oriented rock) radio, which was a very watered down, bland form of music aimed at the 40ish crowd who were no longer going out to clubs and supposedly wanted more mellow music from the artists they loved. Thatís when we saw Billy Idol in a smoking jacket sitting in front of a fireplace and Rod Stewart doing ballads. When I heard Maybe Love and Unconditional Love I thought oh theyíre trying to push Stevie to AOR now. It looked like a dead end street but Iím glad a lot of those artist came back from that. The 90ís were an odd time. Strangely enough I thought the demo of Maybe Love sounds a lot more like a Fleetwood Mac song and should have been the one that made the album.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo
$20.0
1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo picture1985 Press Photo Billy Burnette, rock guitarist, singer, and songwriter.
$19.99
1985 Press Photo Billy Burnette, rock guitarist, singer, and songwriter. pictureRARE 1980s Original 35mm Negative Strip of (3) Rock Star BILLY BURNETTE
$15.88
RARE 1980s Original 35mm Negative Strip of (3) Rock Star BILLY BURNETTE pictureRARE 1980s Original 35mm Negative Strip of (5) Rock Star BILLY BURNETTE
$15.88
RARE 1980s Original 35mm Negative Strip of (5) Rock Star BILLY BURNETTE picture1920 Elizabeth Burnett & Billy Peasley Fill Salvation Army Barrel Press Photo
$12.88
1920 Elizabeth Burnett & Billy Peasley Fill Salvation Army Barrel Press Photo picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved