The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 09-01-2015, 11:07 AM
SisterNightroad's Avatar
SisterNightroad SisterNightroad is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 5,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
It's because women are objectified in our society (and many others). Those sexist attitudes creep in early in life. For men, appearance is paramount in a mate. Women will play out that role because it's expected. (That why straight women and gay men often get along so well because they can identify with each other when it comes to dating.) I think as most men get older and lonelier, they rise above these attitudes and realize that the quality of the relationship far exceeds the value they place on physical attractiveness.

I don't think Stevie was ever obese. Some fans and her Stevie herself were not happy with the extra weight, but I never thought it was unattractive. If anything, she had curves with her more voluptuous figure!
I've just noticed that the initial sexist post was done by the resident Troll of this forum, I think we got conned...

However I don't know if Stevie was obese at the time, I'm not a doctor; it could possibly be as I remember she said she weighed 185 lbs and she's 5 feet 1 inch tall but I don't think this changes things much.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 09-01-2015, 11:54 AM
tabruns tabruns is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,009
Default

Street Angel is the only really sub-par album Nicks has done. It consists of outtakes from previous albums, the performances are drab, and you can see the effect of Klonopin in that lack of creative energy or fire.

I have to agree with others that "Blue Denim" only stands out because the rest of the album is sub-standard. "Maybe Love" is actually very AC catchy, but for someone who is primarily known as a rocker, that's kind of a kiss of death.

At the time of initial release it was cited by some as a "back to roots" album because it cursorily sounded similar to Bella Donna production-wise, but the quality of the material was WAY below previous Nicks albums.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 09-01-2015, 02:45 PM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I don't think any amount of modern inventive production could
have saved Street Angel.

How can you produce something good from an artist that was
in the physical and mental shape she was in from the mid-80's
to the mid-90's?

The fiasco that was Red Rocks led us right to The Other Side Of The
Mirror
. If those two projects weren't warning enough, she then releases
Timespace which is supposed to be a best of album. Best of what I might
ask?

Then she releases the worst solo album of her career. And to make matters
even worse she appears on Letterman and Leno almost unrecognizable. It
would have been better for her to have shelved Street Angel and have taken
that time to get healthy, so to speak.

Drugs, obesity and age were the perfect storm for her downward
spiral. Though difficult, two out of three of those things are controllable.
I stand by every word.

SisterNightroad,
How is this trolling? I'm guessing you did read the title of this thread?
I don't see anything sexist about what I said. The only thing you've been
conned about is if you believe each one of my post are jokes or trolling.

Spynote,
I'm not sure there's an exact number of pounds one has to be to
be considered obese. But from my point of view she definitely
was during this time period. If you think her curves and more
voluptuous figure made her more attractive, then we just disagree.
But from the curtains she was wearing on Timespace and durring
the Street Angel period, I'd say even Stevie would disagree with you.
And it would be a lie for me to say women aren't judged by their
appearance.

Johnnystorms
"Pass my your judgmental cup, I want a sip of your perfection"
Yeah I know that was a dig at me, but I still like that line.

p.s. SisterNightroad
If you think she was "GREAT" on Leno and Letterman - I can't help you.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 09-01-2015, 03:15 PM
SisterNightroad's Avatar
SisterNightroad SisterNightroad is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 5,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I stand by every word.

SisterNightroad,
How is this trolling? I'm guessing you did read the title of this thread?
I don't see anything sexist about what I said. The only thing you've been
conned about is if you believe each one of my post are jokes or trolling.

Spynote,
I'm not sure there's an exact number of pounds one has to be to
be considered obese. But from my point of view she definitely
was during this time period. If you think her curves and more
voluptuous figure made her more attractive, then we just disagree.
But from the curtains she was wearing on Timespace and durring
the Street Angel period, I'd say even Stevie would disagree with you.
And it would be a lie for me to say women aren't judged by their
appearance.

Johnnystorms
"Pass my your judgmental cup, I want a sip of your perfection"
Yeah I know that was a dig at me, but I still like that line.

p.s. SisterNightroad
If you think she was "GREAT" on Leno and Letterman - I can't help you.
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt but it seems I was wrong.
What seems sexist in your post is:
Quote:
And to make matters
even worse she appears on Letterman and Leno almost unrecognizable. It
would have been better for her to have shelved Street Angel and have taken
that time to get healthy, so to speak.
By what you said it seems that you are implying that her appearances on TV were flops because she was fat. Not because she sang badly but because she wasn't pretty and thin.
Now, here I say in my opinion she sang well. If you don't like her voice during these two performances, then you shouldn't like much even her voice during The Dance because she sang pretty similarly well.
Also I'd like to point out that music history is full of singers that are both great singers and overweight.
Also this is at least insensitive:
Quote:
Drugs, obesity and age were the perfect storm for her downward
spiral. Though difficult, two out of three of those things are controllable.
Such a delicate and dangerous theme should arise pity, compassion and understanding, not judgement and scorning.
It doesn't work like this, it's controllable but what does it mean? Addiction is a deep psychological problem you can't fix it like a cold. Addictive personality is a way of living, you have to learn how to live with it without putting yourself in dangerous behaviours.
Also I'd like to say that a woman in her 40s isn't old.
The general meaning of your post seemed that a singer should be getting back in shape before having to be seen in public.

Last edited by SisterNightroad : 09-01-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 09-01-2015, 03:21 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,958
Default

Docklands is actually the best song on the album but contains one of the worse vocals of Stevie's career. She makes the song unlistenable. It's like a goat taking a vibrator up the butt. It's horrendous and an total embarrassment.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 09-01-2015, 07:40 PM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post

1. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt but it seems I was wrong.

2. What seems sexist in your post is:
By what you said it seems that you are implying that her appearances on TV were flops because she was fat. Not because she sang badly but because she wasn't pretty and thin.

3. Also I'd like to point out that music history is full of singers that are both great singers and overweight.

4. Such a delicate and dangerous theme should arise pity, compassion and understanding, not judgement and scorning.

5. It doesn't work like this, it's controllable but what does it mean? Addiction is a deep psychological problem...

6. Also I'd like to say that a woman in her 40s isn't old.

7. The general meaning of your post seemed that a singer should be getting back in shape before having to be seen in public.
1. The benefit of a doubt? By calling me a Troll?

2. Those television appearances did nothing to help her image. And it's more
than weight. She seemed very fragile, which I imagine she was.

3. You're right there are many singers that are good and also overweight. And
most that hang around long enough end up overweight. Which is sad, be it man
or woman.

4. I've had great compassion for her. During that time period I would have
preferred her to take care of herself instead of releasing new music to us fans.
The only "fan" mail I've ever written, was to her. And I think it was after seeing
her during that time I was very concerned. I was afraid she was going to pull an
Elvis on me. It was basically me asking her to take care of herself and not
worry about us fans. That her health was more important than her music. It was
nice, polite and the most heartfelt letter I've sent someone that I didn't personally
know. You'll have to forgive me for making this so personal. I just wanted her to
be well.

5. I never said addiction was easy to beat. But she let it cheat her out of a decade
or so of her life. I still think it affects her songwriting abilities till this day.

6. A woman in her forties is very old for a music career. Same for a man. Check
the Billboard Charts. There are a few exceptions, but not many.

7. If she wanted to protect her image she should have stayed away from the public
until she was better. The combination of her physical image and her less than stellar
musical output put her legacy at risk.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but I believe I'm speaking the truth.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 09-02-2015, 04:41 PM
SisterNightroad's Avatar
SisterNightroad SisterNightroad is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 5,201
Default

I'll say just this then I'll stop because else we'll go too far.

At the beginning I thought you were purposely trying to arise a heated discussion through harsh words because your point of view to me seemed excessively narrow but now I see you were well-meaning.

There's nothing wrong with Stevie showing herself imperfect in public and it's not fair to expect she should hide like she should be ashamed of herself. She may have seemed fragile, but she was finally clean at the time, and that was something that hadn't happened since the start of her music career; during all the previous years of her carrer even if she looked better she was in truth in a much worse state. We have too great expectations towards people regarding these matters.
Compassion is also understanding the motives of others and I think Stevie had the right to work if she wanted. Singing is Stevie's work and for her is very important, we shouldn't forget it. Even if she was tired and depressed probably she wanted to keep doing the job that she loves so much because it helped her going on.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 09-03-2015, 06:00 PM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I'll say just this then I'll stop because else we'll go too far.

At the beginning I thought you were purposely trying to arise a heated discussion through harsh words because your point of view to me seemed excessively narrow but now I see you were well-meaning.

There's nothing wrong with Stevie showing herself imperfect in public...
It's just a message board, so we're not going too far. At least I don't
think so. And I don't mind a heated discussion. I think it makes for
a more interesting place to be. Not just for you and I, but for everyone.

Stevie, like most stars gets judged unfairly sometimes. I think the
more beautiful or talented an artist is the more harshly they're going
to be scrutinized. I guess the farther they have to fall.

I take breaks from The Ledge from time to time for various reasons.
But I've never been away because I was mad at someone here. I just
don't take it seriously I guess. The one exception being a Christian
and the beliefs and values that represents. On those type posts I'm
most sincere.

As for others, most would be wise not to take what I write as necessarily
true, although it may be. Barry will most certainly vouch for me on that.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 09-04-2015, 05:35 AM
SisterNightroad's Avatar
SisterNightroad SisterNightroad is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 5,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
It's just a message board, so we're not going too far. At least I don't
think so. And I don't mind a heated discussion. I think it makes for
a more interesting place to be. Not just for you and I, but for everyone.

Stevie, like most stars gets judged unfairly sometimes. I think the
more beautiful or talented an artist is the more harshly they're going
to be scrutinized. I guess the farther they have to fall.

I take breaks from The Ledge from time to time for various reasons.
But I've never been away because I was mad at someone here. I just
don't take it seriously I guess. The one exception being a Christian
and the beliefs and values that represents. On those type posts I'm
most sincere.

As for others, most would be wise not to take what I write as necessarily
true, although it may be. Barry will most certainly vouch for me on that.
Yes but we're going waaay off topic.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 09-04-2015, 07:08 AM
johnnystorms's Avatar
johnnystorms johnnystorms is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: new orleans
Posts: 705
Default

we know so little about the music industry. perhaps she was contractually obligated to release a record within X number of years between prior release. she certainly made the best of it, in spite of her "weight", klonopin addiction, and age.
she still things her finger-braided hair was fabulous, as do I
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 09-04-2015, 09:55 AM
BlueLight BlueLight is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Empire State
Posts: 563
Default

Here's my current SA-era tracklist:

Sometimes It's A B*tch
Blue Denim (CD single mix)
Street Angel (album mix)
Thousand Days (CD single mix)
Destiny (Enchanted mix)
Mirror, Mirror (1992 version)
Rose Garden (Enchanted mix)
Maybe Love (album mix)
Kick It (album mix)
Listen To The Rain (Timespace outtake)
Twisted (Enchanted demo)
Love's A Hard Game To Play

Perhaps unsurprisingly given that SA is my least favorite Stevie album, very few album tracks made the cut.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 09-04-2015, 07:33 PM
Rod~A~Little's Avatar
Rod~A~Little Rod~A~Little is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 223
Default

I made my own Street Angel CD with a full release party.
-
Gone is that blah cover photo...I used the sexy vixen photo that I always thought should have been the cover.
-
Here is my new track list.

-Blue Denim
-Kick It (Sounds so much better here than at the end of the CD)
-Mirror Mirror (1992 version)
-Street Angel (Such a haunting song)
-Love Is Like A River
-Thousand Days (Such an awesome song)
-Greta
-Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind (Single Mix)
-Listen To The Rain (Timespace version...way better than the album version)
-Inspiration (I hated this song with a passion when I first heard it, but it has grown on me and now has a certain charm to it)
-Docklands (Also hated this one too, but I overlooked the out of control vibrato and appreciate it for the good song it is)
-Sleeping Angel (Okay, I know this is not a SA era tune, but hey, if she can redo Twisted 3 times then she can redo this one...besides, it sounds so good as a replacement track for Jane...and a great way to end Street Angel with a Sleeping Angel)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Street Angel Cover.jpg (45.1 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 09-04-2015, 11:22 PM
sorcerer999's Avatar
sorcerer999 sorcerer999 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod~A~Little View Post
-Thousand Days (Such an awesome song)
It is BEYOND ME how this track (which, IMO is the BEST song to come out of the SA sessions) never made it on the album and was merely relegated to B-Side status! That's the biggest "head scratcher" for me about this era.

It would have made a GREAT single!!!
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 09-05-2015, 04:20 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 2,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
It is BEYOND ME how this track (which, IMO is the BEST song to come out of the SA sessions) never made it on the album and was merely relegated to B-Side status! That's the biggest "head scratcher" for me about this era.

It would have made a GREAT single!!!
I agree
The only theory it did not make the album is maybe the lyrics. It really describes the klonopin era. Maybe Stevie was not ready to tell the world about this yet. The lyrics are very blunt and harsh. The chorus speaks for itself...."it seems like a thousand days since you've been gone."
Just my opinion....and guess
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 09-05-2015, 08:37 PM
ahafan02's Avatar
ahafan02 ahafan02 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 278
Default

Greta and Thousand Days are the best things she recorded during the SA sessions. It's not her best album by far but does have some decent tracks (Maybe Love, Street Angel). I'm probably one of a few that detests Blue Denim. It really sounds generic to me and her version of Just Like A Woman is just a train wreck.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Star Trek TNG Mick Fleetwood autograph card Rare WoW Mac John McVie Stevie Nicks
$149.99
Star Trek TNG Mick Fleetwood autograph card Rare WoW Mac John McVie Stevie Nicks pictureJohn McVie Autograph *Fleetwood Mac* Hand Signed 10x8 Photo
$127.1
John McVie Autograph *Fleetwood Mac* Hand Signed 10x8 Photo picturec1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER
$99.99
c1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER pictureDENNIS WILSON candid PHOTO rare pic taken by Geo Emmel JOHN McVIE Fleetwood Mac
$39.95
DENNIS WILSON candid PHOTO rare pic taken by Geo Emmel JOHN McVIE Fleetwood Mac picture1977 Press Photo John McVie Drummer of Fleetwood Mack. - lrx01220
$20.88
1977 Press Photo John McVie Drummer of Fleetwood Mack. - lrx01220 picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved