The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:14 AM

Default WatchMojo.com: Top 10 Fleetwood Mac songs

The 7th largest YouTube channel in the world throughout 2014, WatchMojo published Top 10 pop culture lists on infotainment topics. We cater to a broad audience but our core viewers are young male millennials. Each month, our subscribers watch 180 million videos and spend over 1 billion minutes watching our content.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

By Glenn Gamboa Newsday
March 27--The story slugged "ND-The-best-Fleetwood-Mac-songs-of-all-time-Critic-s-picks-0123 ," published Jan. 23, 2015, by Newsday and distributed by Tribune Content Agency, requires a correction. The original version of the story omitted much of the story text.

The complete, corrected story follows. Please delete and replace the original story with this one.

ND-The-best-Fleetwood-Mac-songs-of-all-time-Critic-s-picks-0123
The best Fleetwood Mac songs of all time: Critic's picks

By Glenn Gamboa

Newsday

Jan. 23--Fleetwood Mac is back, firing on all cylinders again with the return of Christine McVie after 17 years of retirement from the road. With the "On With the Show" tour rolling through the area again, the timing seemed right to recall what makes The Mac so big. Here's a look at their best songs.

17. "Oh Well"

"Oh Well" (1969): This blues-rock classic driven by Peter Green is a potent reminder that Fleetwood Mac was once on the same path as Led Zeppelin in its initial incarnation.

16. "Steal Your Heart Away"

"Steal Your Heart Away" (2003): What started as a song for a Lindsey Buckingham solo album, with Christine McVie on backing vocals, turned into a full-band affair that shows his tender side and the band's delicate harmonies.

15. "Silver Springs (Live)"

"Silver Springs (Live)" (1997): Originally written for "Rumours," but cut because the album was too long, it became a Grammy-winning hit as part of the live album "The Dance." Its hopefulness at the end of a relationship sounds even more poignant 20 more years down the road.

14. "Songbird"

"Songbird" (1977): Before there was Adele's bittersweet breakup ballad "Someone Like You," there was Christine McVie's gorgeous piano-and-guitar statement on the importance of letting go for all involved.

13. "Sara"

"Sara" (1979): There's that moment halfway through that's perfectly Fleetwood Mac -- with Mick Fleetwood and John McVie's world beat rhythms, the otherworldly moaning/harmonizing of Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie floating in the background and Stevie Nicks' sultrily accepting her collapse. He was singing. . . and undoing. . . places.

12. "Hold Me"

"Hold Me" (1982): This is passive-aggressiveness come to life. The music is dainty and Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie's intricate harmonies are sweetly buttoned-up with an inviting chorus, but the verses are icy and accusatory. "I don't want no damage, but how'm I gonna manage you?" they ask. "You want a percentage, but I'm the fool paying the dues." And then, the rage subsides again.

11. "Everywhere"

"Everywhere" (1987): This may be as loose as Fleetwood Mac gets, with Christine McVie's reggae-ish approach on the verses matching the island-tinged bass lines of John McVie. It gets smoothed out in the chorus -- it was the 80s -- but the sweet, synthy ad libs at the end confirm it. The Mac could still have fun!

10. "Think About Me"

"Think About Me" (1979): Fleetwood Mac love songs are never easy. Oh sure, "All it took was a special look," they sing straightforwardly enough at the start, in an undeniable pop melody. By the end, the questions grow insurmountable. "If I'm the one you love," Lindsey Buckingham, Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks sing in an uneasy harmony to match the uneasy reminder, "think about me." You know, baby, once in a while.

9. "Second Hand News"

"Second Hand News" (1977): It's remarkable how a kiss-off can be so self-pitying, but the real charm of the "Rumours" opener is in how it fuses country and rock in such an enduring way. So much 21st century country and Americana can trace its sound to this classic that it sounds like it could easily be a hit today.

8. "Rhiannon"

"Rhiannon" (1975): This was the point that the "new" Fleetwood Mac -- with the addition of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks following the exit of Bob Welch -- arrived. The blues-rock base of previous Mac hits had been replaced by something much lusher. Instead of the standard blues inspirations, Nicks was singing about Celtic goddesses and women taken by the wind. Surprise!

7. "Gypsy"

"Gypsy" (1982): There was a moment after the MTV music video revolution when people wondered if Fleetwood Mac would survive in the new era. "Gypsy" put all fears to rest. Not only did the video -- the most expensive ever made at the time -- magnify Stevie Nicks' memories of her days as a struggling musician, it cemented her stage persona. The wistful song is gorgeous on its own, but it will be forever tied to shots of Nicks spinning in a flowing white dress and dancing with tuxedoed men in the rain. Nothing wrong with that.

6. "The Chain"

"The Chain" (1977): The only song from "Rumours" written by the entire band has become the theme for its tumultuous history, with so many exits and re-entries. But its brilliance still lies in how they sing the chorus as a round, seemingly content to move on, then have a change of heart during Lindsey Buckingham's stormy, memorable guitar solo.

5. "Dreams"

"Dreams" (1977): The stillness of remembering what you had. And what you lost. And what you had. And what you lost.

4. "Tusk"

"Tusk" (1979): How do you follow "Rumours," which was, at the time, the biggest-selling pop album in history? Well, if you're Fleetwood Mac, you trot out a drum-driven experiment with a one-word chorus, a minimalist melody and the USC marching band as back-up. Then, you marvel at how well it holds up 35 years later.

3. "Don't Stop"

"Don't Stop" (1977): This sunny bit of optimism was much-needed on "Rumours." But it reached new heights when Bill Clinton adopted it as the anthem for his 1992 presidential bid, which certainly needed the "yesterday's gone" reminder. When he won, Fleetwood Mac, disbanded at the time, reunited to perform the song at his inauguration.

2. "Landslide"

"Landslide" (1975): Stevie Nicks' ode to evolving relationships is so well-crafted that it has evolved as well. In the original, which features an intricate acoustic guitar web that conjures up the changing ocean tides, she seems certain the landslide will bring him down. Over the years, Lindsey Buckingham's guitar parts have grown simpler to allow Nicks' delivery to shine and she has added the word "maybe" to make the song open-ended, which is more effective. After all, you can only control your own actions. Everything else is landslides.

1. "Go Your Own Way"

"Go Your Own Way" (1977): There's a reason this is one of rock's most enduring classics: Lindsey Buckingham has cleverly capsulized the spirit of rock and roll in less than four minutes. "Loving you isn't the right thing to do," he admits right off the bat. He will, though, because, you know, Stevie Nicks. It's a lose-lose proposition but Buckingham dives right in since in the end a rocking guitar solo heals all wounds. And he proves it.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:09 PM
Ledgie

"and undoing... places"? Isn't it the laces? Anyway I never enjoy lists like this because they are very vanilla. Other than throwing in Think About Me and Steal Your Heart Away, the choices are beat to death. Nice to put some Peter Green, albeit right at the bottom. Sure, I'd probably still have Everywhere and The Chain on my list and most definitely I'd have Sara, but I'd also pepper my list with Welch era cuts like Future Games and Hypnotized, Lindsey's That's All For Everyone or Walk a Thin Line, Christine's beautiful Over and Over or Why etc etc

Ahh well the top 8 is so predictable but it's hard to knock any of those songs, they are great old songs.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Think About Me being #10 is nice. Michele
Old 04-11-2015, 07:49 AM

Old 04-11-2015, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What a weird selection. I like this guy. I like the fact he's chosen a few songs that are a bit different to those normally picked. But come on- no Tusk songs????
Also, Elton John's Don't Stop as the best Fleetwood Mac cover ever. Get outta here.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:27 AM

Default No Tusk or Bella Donna though...

Yeah, but he is honest, he doesn't sound like he's read the list somewhere else and copied it.
He said he likes either ultra-eighties anthem songs or simple and stripped down but fun seventies songs, and Tusk doesn't have anything of both so I guess he's true to his personal tastes...
But still no Bella Donna songs...
Old 06-25-2015, 07:42 AM
Registered

#7 - Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac & Solo)

Why the hell is Mark Knopfler here? If anything he is OVERRATED.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:56 AM
Registered

#6 - Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Old 06-25-2015, 07:58 AM
Registered

#6 - Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac (1977)
Old 06-25-2015, 08:05 AM
Registered

#5 - Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac (1977)
Old 06-26-2015, 06:49 AM
Registered