The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Ledgie

Aw nuts, 9 away. Oh well, at least its signed!
Old 10-06-2014, 06:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slife View Post
Only 24 more buyers needed. Come on, people! There's only a couple of hours left...

Signed copies, plus the chance to fly out to America to meet Mick and see FM!

https://hodderbooks.co-buying.com/co...re-order-event

I would love to buy one of the signed copies, but I'm in the U.S., so I seem to be out of luck. :-(
Old 12-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mick Fleetwood talks about affair with Stevie Nicks in new memoir 'Play On'

By Nicki Gostin ·Published December 15, 2014·

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...emoir-play-on/

For over four decades Mick Fleetwood has been the drummer for one of the most successful bands of all time -- Fleetwood Mac -- and now the 67-year-old musician has written his memoir. "Play On: Now, Then, and Fleetwood Mac: The Autobiography" tells the story of the legendary band's creation, Fleetwood's affair with Stevie Nicks, and his problems with hard drugs.

FOX411: Did you enjoy writing the book?

Mick Fleetwood: A creative outlook would be a good way to explain for me the process of what it reveals to me. I don't sit around writing songs. It's been a great vehicle for me to take responsibility for the way the book turned out and it comes under the heading of enjoying the creative thought process. I found it stimulating.

FOX411: You write about your affair with Stevie Nicks and it sounds like you feel you two could have had a future together.

Fleetwood: That's true. We had a very bright moment. It wasn't an on-again-off-again relationship. It was on for the time it was on and we know why, and it was not be, though it was a timely thing for both of us that we parted in the night. Having said that we are and we were before that little firefly connection that we certainly both own is that we were great friends before and we are great friends after and for that we are lucky and grateful that it is the case.

But it was very real and it is quietly thought provoking, but that's one of those things. Once in a while, especially when someone asks you about it, you go, 'Wow, another place and not such a crazy world around, maybe those two souls may have been positioned to have a longer moment together or a very long period of being together.' We celebrate that we are still great friends and we know what happened and it was very bright and crazy and we have those memories.

FOX411: During the making of 'Rumours' there was so much interpersonal drama going on among the band members.

Fleetwood: It is quite extraordinary that we survived that and all of the survival is now channeled into an understanding that my read on is that what we were doing was so powerful and focused that no one, not even in a whole heap of emotional pain, was going to walk away from. All five of us were going through the same thing. I was just spared that my partner wasn't singing into a microphone six inches away. That alone is still extraordinary and that Christine (McVie) is back with the band is an amazing thing within itself. For Stevie (Nicks) and Lindsay (Buckingham) it's been a real challenge from time to time to co-exist. All I can say is they would not be doing what they're doing unless they found a place where this can really be acceptable and okay and at least reasonably emotionally safe which is actually a really lucky thing, and we're still on that journey.

FOX411: You're unfortunately sort of infamous for the reportedly huge amount of cocaine you did in the 70's.

Fleetwood: You don't want to romanticize it but you have to have some sense of humor about it. You also have to be saying after telling a couple of war stories that the reality is it turns into a damn nightmare and is not to be lorded around, because there's a sort of an element of irresponsible behavior when you start guffawing about it. It's a hard one to talk about.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Mick Fleetwood talks about affair with Stevie Nicks in new memoir 'Play On'

By Nicki Gostin ·Published December 15, 2014·

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...emoir-play-on/

For over four decades Mick Fleetwood has been the drummer for one of the most successful bands of all time -- Fleetwood Mac -- and now the 67-year-old musician has written his memoir. "Play On: Now, Then, and Fleetwood Mac: The Autobiography" tells the story of the legendary band's creation, Fleetwood's affair with Stevie Nicks, and his problems with hard drugs.

FOX411: Did you enjoy writing the book?

Mick Fleetwood: A creative outlook would be a good way to explain for me the process of what it reveals to me. I don't sit around writing songs. It's been a great vehicle for me to take responsibility for the way the book turned out and it comes under the heading of enjoying the creative thought process. I found it stimulating.

FOX411: You write about your affair with Stevie Nicks and it sounds like you feel you two could have had a future together.

Fleetwood: That's true. We had a very bright moment. It wasn't an on-again-off-again relationship. It was on for the time it was on and we know why, and it was not be, though it was a timely thing for both of us that we parted in the night. Having said that we are and we were before that little firefly connection that we certainly both own is that we were great friends before and we are great friends after and for that we are lucky and grateful that it is the case.

But it was very real and it is quietly thought provoking, but that's one of those things. Once in a while, especially when someone asks you about it, you go, 'Wow, another place and not such a crazy world around, maybe those two souls may have been positioned to have a longer moment together or a very long period of being together.' We celebrate that we are still great friends and we know what happened and it was very bright and crazy and we have those memories.

FOX411: During the making of 'Rumours' there was so much interpersonal drama going on among the band members.

Fleetwood: It is quite extraordinary that we survived that and all of the survival is now channeled into an understanding that my read on is that what we were doing was so powerful and focused that no one, not even in a whole heap of emotional pain, was going to walk away from. All five of us were going through the same thing. I was just spared that my partner wasn't singing into a microphone six inches away. That alone is still extraordinary and that Christine (McVie) is back with the band is an amazing thing within itself. For Stevie (Nicks) and Lindsay (Buckingham) it's been a real challenge from time to time to co-exist. All I can say is they would not be doing what they're doing unless they found a place where this can really be acceptable and okay and at least reasonably emotionally safe which is actually a really lucky thing, and we're still on that journey.

FOX411: You're unfortunately sort of infamous for the reportedly huge amount of cocaine you did in the 70's.

Fleetwood: You don't want to romanticize it but you have to have some sense of humor about it. You also have to be saying after telling a couple of war stories that the reality is it turns into a damn nightmare and is not to be lorded around, because there's a sort of an element of irresponsible behavior when you start guffawing about it. It's a hard one to talk about.
Gee, that interviewer didn't even bother to lift his pinky finger in effort to ask anything remotely interesting or new. Pick the most over-wrought topics you could ask Mick about-- banging Stevie, the personal drama of Rumours, and how much coke he did. Great homework.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[^That is what the people want, I guess]

The Baxter Bulletin by Sonny Garrett, 12/15/2014

http://www.baxterbulletin.com/story/...cess/20450649/

Checking the Interweb for what's trending reveals top three trending stories on Fox News website are: (1) Mick Fleetwood talking in his memoir about an affair with Stevie Nicks; (2) a manhunt for a suspect in five murders near Philadelphia; (3) Merriam-Webster names "culture" word of the year. CNN doesn't list its trending stories, but its top three breaking stories were: (1) Four people dead in Pennsylvania shootings; (2) White rhino dies, only five left in the world; (3) Gas below $2 in 13 states. Americans do have their priorities.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Winnipeg Free Press - Reviewed by: Gilbert Gregory 12/20/14

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/art...286446401.html

Fleetwood goes his own way in new bio

Sex? Yes. Drugs and booze? Uh-huh. Rock 'n' roll? Of course.

Betrayal, bankruptcy, over-the-top debauchery and excessive behaviour? Check, check, check and check.

All this and more can be found in Play On, in which Mick Fleetwood, the drummer for the legendary band, endeavours to tell his story: his nomadic childhood in a military family; the heights of fame and fortune in one of the most successful, influential rock 'n' roll bands of all time; the years post-success; and his coming to terms with who he is and his accomplishments -- good and bad.

Play On gets off to a bad start. Fleetwood neglects to tell readers when he was born, making it hard to match the experiences of his early life with the historical time frame in which they took place. Only when he mentions being 19 in early 1967 does the reader get an idea of when he was born (1947).

He states in the introduction that Play On is the story of Mick Fleetwood and not of Fleetwood Mac. But it's impossible to separate the two; as such, much of Play On chronicles his life in the band and its various incarnations.

Within the band, Fleetwood portrays himself as a leader (he was the manager for many years) and a team player, doing what he can to keep the band together, finding new members and pushing them to bigger and better things. He is quick to praise all his bandmates, and is especially generous with his (deserved) praise for Lindsey Buckingham, the catalyst for much of the success of the band's biggest-selling albums: 1975's Fleetwood Mac, Rumours (1977) and Tusk (1979).

Fleetwood is honest about his shortcomings as a husband and romantic partner, having been married four times to three different women (he married his first wife, Jenny Boyd, twice), and not spending a lot of time with his children owing to the demands of his career. His semi-earnest rationalizations, however -- he often attributes his failed relationships to the catch-all excuse of lack of communication -- and his claiming to care deeply for many of his exes suggest he lacks a certain degree of self-awareness, or at least isn't telling the whole story.

Nor is Fleetwood shy about his vices, admitting to years of drug and alcohol abuse. His love of cocaine earned him the nickname "the King of Toot," and it was once estimated he had spent $60 million on cocaine.

Maybe all the debauchery and excess has affected Fleetwood's memory; he often makes chronological jumps that leave the reader wondering if the events discussed happened relatively close chronologically, or years apart.

Despite its shortcomings, Play On is a book any Fleetwood Mac fan will find difficult to put down. While not particularly insightful, it provides a window into a world very few see and even fewer experience.

Mick Fleetwood partied with Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones, had an affair with Stevie Nicks, squandered more money than most people could ever imagine and still managed to make rock 'n' roll history.

He didn't come out of it undamaged, but he did survive. He continues to be an integral member of one of the most successful groups of all time and has some great stories to tell.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Am I the only one sick of the phrase "goes/going his/her own way???

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Am I the only one sick of the phrase "goes/going his/her own way???
If we had to make headlines for a FM story, I guess we would be more creative, since we're so tired of them trying to work GYOW or "Don't Stop" into their sentences.

Michele
Old 12-31-2014, 06:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was given three copies of this for Christmas! I mean, I wanted to read it and so on, but three is a bit much...
Old 01-04-2015, 08:40 AM
Ledgie

I read this book last night and found it to be a very entertaining read. Nice that at the end of the book he puts to end the doubts about Nicks contributing to the new album. I very much doubt it will be out this year now though.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I finally purchased this on audible.com and I'm really enjoying it. Mick does a really good job as narrator. It is different than his last book.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I liked the book. I'm kinda bothered by the painted hotel rooms... These people are so spoiled. It's almost unreal the lives they lead.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I finally purchased this on audible.com and I'm really enjoying it. Mick does a really good job as narrator. It is different than his last book.
Wow. The availability on audible really puts a different spin on things. Mick has a nice speaking voice and I can imagine that I'd agree with you about him doing a good job. Michele
Old 01-11-2015, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

but for anyone thinking of buying the audiobook, just know that Mick does NOT read the whole thing (like other authors have done). He is credited with reading parts of it, but some guy named Martin Drew reads most of it. With the exception of a brief introductory statement, I haven't come across Mick reading anything else yet.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
but for anyone thinking of buying the audiobook, just know that Mick does NOT read the whole thing (like other authors have done). He is credited with reading parts of it, but some guy named Martin Drew reads most of it. With the exception of a brief introductory statement, I haven't come across Mick reading anything else yet.
Oh, ok. Michele