User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-10-2005, 12:18 AM
Ledgie

Default hello

Hi,

I'm the new guy on the block. I look forward to learning about Peter Green from you folks who seem to know his work well. I'm fairly new into the music of Greeny. I was a teen in the 70's when Mac was all over the place with Rumours and all the boys lusted for Stevie (although I always liked Christine McVie more). Anyway, I had always heard something about Fleetwood Mac having roots back to the 60's, but never really checked it out.
I happen to be a drummer, and I got a copy of Mick Fleetwood's terrific book and read it. Well, as I went along I really got the desire to hear this early Mac stuff. I also love blues music, so it was worth a listen. I also found the whole story of Greeny to be very gripping for some reason. The first thing I came across was the CD, "The Original Fleetwood Mac". It didn't take me but one listen to the first song, "Drifting" to hook me right into Peter Green. This man REALLY had "it". But I don't have to tell you folks that. So now I've gone a little nuts picking up much of the PG era of Mac. I got the Horizon box-set, and the Boston Tea Party Stuff. I even picked up some Splinter group stuff.
I would dearly love to see the man play live. I know it's a long shot, but it is possible.
I've found it somewhat frustrating trying to find new info on Greeny, and what he's doing now. I saw a mention somewhere of a website called "The Manalishi Pages", but i'll be damned if I can find it. This may well be the place to hang out and get some news.
Sorry for the rambling post. I'm glad i found this place and joined. Now - go ahead and talk about Greeny. I'm all "ears".
Old 03-10-2005, 04:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hello Tom!
Peter is in temporary (hopefully) retirement. He quit Splinter group in december 2003, probably voluntarily, and is still involved in a legal struggle because of this. Apparently living in southern Sweden with a nice woman now. His 3 documented musical activities since then:
* guest spot with Bill Wyman's Rhythm kings at Royal Albert Hall 15/3/04
* Played with British Blues all stars at Notodden, Norway, late summer 2004.
* Guested on Italian Ruddy Rotta's album.

Have you bought "In the Skies" yet? That is a must-have album for Greeny fans!
Peter
Old 03-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Welcome aboard, Tom! I really think this is the best place on the web for up-to-date info on Peter Green. Mario in particular seems like he has some excellent connections and has done a lot here to keep us all informed. A number of old Greeny-related websites (maybe including that "Manalishi Pages" one) are either no longer around or have not been updated in a long time.

Have fun checking out some of the older posts both on this board and the "Pre-Rumours" one - lots of great info there. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Ledgie

Thanks for the welcome folks. I do not have "In The Skies" yet, but I'll track it down. It's good to see that Greeny has done a few things to indicate that he's still into playing. I wonder if he gets invited to a lot of events, but chooses not to go. Was he a part of that big John Mayall birthday bash that bought out the likes of Eric Clapton and Mick Taylor? And Eric's redent guitar festival in Texas would have been a nice event to see PG at. I saw that he did make it to the rock n roll hall of fame induction for Mac. That's cool.
It funny, but I sort of see a parallell between Peter and Brian Wilson in a way. I hope that whoever PG has around him cares about the man more than the legend.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Thanks for the welcome folks. I do not have "In The Skies" yet, but I'll track it down. It's good to see that Greeny has done a few things to indicate that he's still into playing. I wonder if he gets invited to a lot of events, but chooses not to go. Was he a part of that big John Mayall birthday bash that bought out the likes of Eric Clapton and Mick Taylor? And Eric's redent guitar festival in Texas would have been a nice event to see PG at. I saw that he did make it to the rock n roll hall of fame induction for Mac. That's cool.
It funny, but I sort of see a parallell between Peter and Brian Wilson in a way. I hope that whoever PG has around him cares about the man more than the legend.
I don't think Peter was there for the Mayall birthday gig. I have the Mayall DVD, and I don't recall them mentioning that Peter would be present.

-Lis