User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-10-2004, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile Greeny Anthology on Sanctuary

Hello from Italy,

A Peter Green Anthology will be out on Sanctuary next March 29 2004.

Catalogue number: SMEDD014

Track listing is still tbc, but let's hope for some unreleased or rare tracks.

Mario.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:07 AM
Ledgie

Oh, thanks for the heads up!
I'm not here often but when I do come, I always check in to see if there's new Green News!!
Old 02-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Both CD Universe & Amazon.com are now showing the title for pre-sale: Man Of The World - Anthology
It's listed as a two disc set and described as containing material from the Fleetwood Mac era and his solo years (I guess the PVK material) covering the years 1968 thru 1988 -
Unfortunately, I was unable to find a track listing -

You can put a lot of material on two discs - so here's hoping there'll be some previously unreleased or hard to find material

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 03-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation

The track listing is now available at the Sanctuary website.

Again a good compilation culled between F/Mac, Brunning Sunflowers BB and later works for PVK, but no unreleased numbers........

Mario.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmm, that's strange...

I read the March issue of the music magazine Record Collector:

"Peter Green's Creole albums from the late 70s and early 80s are the basis for a 2-CD anthology from Sanctuary in April. Man Of The World includes rarities such as an alternate take of the title track."

I was hoping to hear a studio take of Man Of The World from the PVK period. I have a couple of live recordings from the early 80s, and Peter and Kolors make a nice thing out of it. The difference between the version from his Mac days is that it is longer. After repeating the ending line "How I wish I was in love..." a couple of times Peter goes into the solo on the verse again, then bridge and then last verse again. It ends with Peter repeating "How I wish I was in love..." many times.

I was really looking forward to hear a studio version of it, as the live recordings are of variable sound quality, and Peter's voice and guitar is often muted.

Daniel
Old 03-03-2004, 03:52 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mario
The track listing is now available at the Sanctuary website.
The tracklist does not look like this is an absolute must. Some FM live, 2 Bob Brunning tracks and a lot of PVK era material. The rights on the PVK stuff seems to be cheap as there are so many samplers containing these tracks.

But I wonder why not one PG collection contains any of the four tracks of 1971 with Snowy White and Nigel Watson released as singles on Reprise. Are these tracks so bad? Has anybody heard them? I am curious and these tracks for me would be the strongest motivation to buy a PG collection.

RoJo
Old 03-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The post Mac 1971/1972 45s are strange, but not too bad in my opinion.

Heavy Heart/No way Out:

The A side( probably named after the Snowy White band) is a sombre uncommercial instrumental track, with african percussion, which Peter liked at that time

The B side is again an instrumental and it sounds like played by a trio - Drums/guitar/bass- and it's more likely the stuff available on "The End Of The Game", sort of acid free form rock.

Beasts Of Burden/Uganda Woman:

both are more melodic and structured songs, the A side has Peter Green and Nigel Watson sharing both vocals and lead guitar, while the flip side is a slow and nice track sung and written by Nigel.

The Peter Green Splinter Group did a remake of Uganda Woman for the "Time Traders" album and did it very well.

If you want to get them, then have a try at www.gemm.com

Mario.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:17 AM
Ledgie

Thanks Mario for the info.

Sounds very interesting concerning the 1971 singles. I must admit I still like "End of the Game" although we now know that his going for "free form" did not lead anywhere musically for PG.

Concerning the upcoming PG compilation: I am a bit frustrated by all these compilations that give no new insight, just recycling the same recordings over and over. This one seems to consist mainly of an excerpt of "Jumping at Shadows" (also on Sanctuary) diluted by PVK material. To me it looks like making quick cash at low investment. Sorry.

RoJo
Old 03-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by dansven
Man Of The World includes rarities such as an alternate take of the title track."
So which version does everyone think this "alternate" MOTW is then? THATS what I want to find out!

Please do post about it here if anyone finds out. Thanks in advance.

John
Old 03-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Of course I cannot be sure, but the alternake take of "Man Of The World" should be the same one available on "Vaudeville Years", which is an early and uncomplete track and nothing more.

It's time for a serious box set spanning Green's carrier, with rare and unreleased numbers and his most significative works as a sessionman.

Mario.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As I said, my first thought was that Man Of The World would be a version from the 80s, but then I also thought of the one on Vaudeville Years.

I agree with you Mario about a serious box set!!
Mike Vernon did a wonderful job with "The Complete BH Sessions", and I am really looking forward to the Rhino reissue of "Then Play On", "Kiln House", etc...

But a box set from 1966 to present would be AMAZING!!
Old 03-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by dansven
[B]my first thought was that Man Of The World would be a version from the 80s
Where can I get this 80's version?

John
Old 03-07-2004, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I think you misunderstood me

I don't know any studio version of MotW from the 80s. But when I read about the new "Man Of The World" CD in Record Collector, I thought that this maybe was an unknown previously unreleased studio take of MotW from the 80s. This was because the RC article said that the CD would be based of Peter's 80s period.

However, I do have some live bootlegs from the 80s with Peter Green (and Kolors) that contain MotW. These live versions are longer and have the changes that I mentioned in an earlier post. But these concerts have never been officially released.

Sorry if my eaalier post wasn't clear enough

Daniel