View Poll Results: Is Bekka the best female vocalist of Fleetwood Mac
Yes 6 22.22%
Of course 6 22.22%
Definitely 2 7.41%
There were other female vocalists in Fleetwood Mac? 19 70.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2010, 06:37 AM
Registered

Here is Bekka singing back up for Belinda Carlisle in 1988. The other singer went on to be a back up singer for Madonna. Bekka looks like her Mom here!

Old 08-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I saw this question, saw the version of "multiple choice" and just laughed. The only answer I could give would be an unabashed, unequivical no (Underline no, point some fingers at it, put a big exclamation point on the end, En-Oh).
Old 12-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's funny how this blew up because someone didn't even know Bekka existed, so therefore she could not put her in the poll. And it's predictable that someone will say that she's not a 'true' fan because Time is trash. Just keeping it real But ya'll should be happy now because a new poll was made including Bekka

Peace.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lol this is cute, but I refuse to answer. We all know Stevie is the Queen of Rock'n'roll, and Christine is the queen of EVERYTHING british!
Old 03-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is an old thread (but no biggie). I saw the "choices" and the answer is a clear "No"!

CM was the first and best!

followed by SN, although (I love Bekka) if she were given "Time" to flourish and represent within the band, SN may have had a run for her money!

(Yeah, I said it!)
Old 03-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember this poll when it first was done. I believe it was in response to a poll somebody had posted on the Rumours forum asking who's the best female Mac singer - Christine or Stevie. The poster was (I believe unaware) of Bekka, and nonetheless was slammed by Ledgies for that omission.

Awe, the memories....
Old 03-31-2013, 01:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As the person who created this poll, I guess I don't need to point out that it was done more tongue in cheek than anything else. Although it is well worth remembering that while she might not have had the success of the other two ladies, technically she probably is the better singer
Old 04-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know this is merely a poll for fun, but Bekka has got really stong pipes. She is just not showing any of them on the "Time" album, well, maybe on "Nothing Without You". This is her best song with the band. On record, she peaked on the "Bekka & Billy" album and it's a shame she has not put out more recordings of her own. She is in the same league of singers as Joss Stone for sure.

However, I must say that from the Fleetwood Mac camp, I prefer Christine's voice over Bekka's. But I also love the Lola Thomas album so what do I know about shawls and incense? ;-) For completeness sake, I must say something positive on here about Stevie, too: I feel she is stronger as a songwriter than as a vocalist, but nobody else can sing her songs the way she does them.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwebster View Post
I know this is merely a poll for fun, but Bekka has got really stong pipes. She is just not showing any of them on the "Time" album, well, maybe on "Nothing Without You". This is her best song with the band. On record, she peaked on the "Bekka & Billy" album and it's a shame she has not put out more recordings of her own. She is in the same league of singers as Joss Stone for sure.

However, I must say that from the Fleetwood Mac camp, I prefer Christine's voice over Bekka's. But I also love the Lola Thomas album so what do I know about shawls and incense? ;-) For completeness sake, I must say something positive on here about Stevie, too: I feel she is stronger as a songwriter than as a vocalist, but nobody else can sing her songs the way she does them.
Sadly you are correct, Time doesn't show off Bekka anywhere near as well as The Zoo album did or her later solo works. As for Lola Thomas, I suspect she puts most other sings to shame!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The big issues with "Time" as I see them:

1. Not enough Billy Burnette. Considering how beautiful he sounds with Christine and with Bekka, there were a lot missed opportunities to really create something special.

2. Dave Mason. Had he been the same Dave we knew from ALL of his albums up until "Time", it could have worked. But Dave as a hard rocker (and these days, a blues man) just doesn't work.

3. Not letting Bekka be Bekka. Yeah, Bekka and Billy were heading in a soulful country direction. LET 'EM. For God's sake, if there's a credible creative direction to follow, then run with it. I'd rather have ten albums of Bekka and Billy doing their thing (albeit with a bit more edge, which a great rhythm section can provide) than a hundred albums of Dave "We Just Disagree" Mason trying to be a hard rocker.

4. Too many extra musicians. It's a good band on its own. Why bother?

5. Too many different producers. Although, to their credit, all did better than Greg Ladanyi. (Still wished Patrick Leonard produced it....)

Bekka was a strong, powerful vocalist who had an equally strong stage presence. Yeah, she had blonde hair, but if Mick wasn't serious about letting her be herself, why even bother?

I suspect there are too many people giving bad advice to Fleetwood Mac, then and now.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love her country tunes.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 04-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Speaking of Bekka, she sings backing vocals on four tracks on Bonnie Tyler's upcoming album, 'Rocks And Honey.' Specifically, "This Is Going To Hurt," "Flat On The Floor," "Love Is The Knife," and "Lord Help Me."
Old 04-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bekka Bramlett is a fine vocalist. She has a fantastic voice and is even a good songwriter. I mean no disrespect to her or any post-Rumours lineup member.

HOWEVER, putting Bekka Bramlett and Billy Burnett in front of John McVie and Mick Fleetwood and calling it FLEETWOOD MAC is like putting John Mayer and Bruno Mars in front of Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood and calling it THE ROLLING STONES.......I'm sorry, it just didn't work and it can't be done.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"putting Bekka Bramlett and Billy Burnett in front of John McVie and Mick Fleetwood and calling it FLEETWOOD MAC"

Yeah well, when Buckingham and Nicks joined a lot of fans of the Peter Green and Bob Welch eras likely felt exactly the same. Fleetwood and McVie is all the band name guarantees to me though.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Bekka Bramlett is a fine vocalist. She has a fantastic voice and is even a good songwriter. I mean no disrespect to her or any post-Rumours lineup member.

HOWEVER, putting Bekka Bramlett and Billy Burnett in front of John McVie and Mick Fleetwood and calling it FLEETWOOD MAC is like putting John Mayer and Bruno Mars in front of Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood and calling it THE ROLLING STONES.......I'm sorry, it just didn't work and it can't be done.
How can you possibly compare these bands? Fleetwood Mac started as a blues band lead by Peter Green and Jemy Spencer, then became a folky jazz pop rock band lead by Danny Kirwan, Bob Welch, and Christine McVie, and ultimately become a California pop band lead by Christine McVie, Lindsey Buckingham, and Stevie Nicks. Why is the thought of them becoming an Americana band lead by Billy Burnette and Bekka Bramlett so out there? By contrast, the Rolling Stones have always been lead by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

THE Stephen Hopkins