The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Strange choice since this is supposed to be a "vault" album but I think as long as Vanessa sticks to backup I'll be super happy (Not that I dislike Vanessa, but I mostly don't care for featured vocalists on Stevie songs. It just feels...wrong. ) Anyways, it's a good song and it sounds promising. I just hope it doesn't feel too out of place.

Last edited by Machu; 09-05-2014 at 08:42 PM..
Old 09-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The song sounds nice. I admit to being baffled by including a cover on an album of "Songs from the Vault", but maybe Stevie is interpreting "songs from the vault" as simply songs she's never properly recorded but wants to?

With "Twisted," my guess is like others that she hasn't had a recorded version that she likes yet.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Yes, an oddity song inclusion! How, in Stevie's crazy mind, did this make sense? Is this song only on the deluxe version? I'm sure Stevie will make it her own, much like she has done with other cover songs.
Nope it is not a bonus song it is on the actual album.I think what happened is that the song did not do well as a single when Vanessa released it so Stevie felt it needed to be heard so she likely promised Vanessa she would one day record itOf course of have no way of knowing for certain but that is my educated guess as to how it ended up on 24KG.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting! I really hope there's liner notes.

My current speculation (and this is how evil these clips may be) is that maybe Stevie wrote the chorus, and didn't want writing credit for whatever reason - she "gave" that to Vanessa Carlton. I would bet this version has significant differences - is representative of the original version by Stevie. But who knows, I hope there's at least some type of explanation or "origins story" with the hard copy of the record.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoursAndHours View Post
Interesting! I really hope there's liner notes.

My current speculation (and this is how evil these clips may be) is that maybe Stevie wrote the chorus, and didn't want writing credit for whatever reason - she "gave" that to Vanessa Carlton. I would bet this version has significant differences - is representative of the original version by Stevie. But who knows, I hope there's at least some type of explanation or "origins story" with the hard copy of the record.
I like the way you think!
Old 09-05-2014, 09:53 PM
Senior Ledgie

I've taken a different approach to this snippet. I decided to wait and hear what my Ledgies had to say first...then listening.

Vanessa opened for Stevie on one of her tours and she almost put me to sleep. Why Stevie why? I'm not looking forward to this but I've got to listen.

Here we go...
Old 09-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Nope it is not a bonus song it is on the actual album.I think what happened is that the song did not do well as a single when Vanessa released it so Stevie felt it needed to be heard so she likely promised Vanessa she would one day record itOf course of have no way of knowing for certain but that is my educated guess as to how it ended up on 24KG.
I think your educated guess makes a lot of sense...
Old 09-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa W View Post
I think your educated guess makes a lot of sense...
That is sort of what I'm thinking. Why day in a press release that the album consists of songs written between 1969-1987 + two from 1994 and 1995 and then have a "cover" of a fairly recently released Vanessa Carlton track? I'm sure that question will be asked by more than just us ledgies; there's got to be some sort of explanation that we'll get.

Either way, I have adored the song for ages and I'm going to admit I kind of like Vanessa Carlton. Not everything, but after knowing she had Stevie's endorsement, I was motivated to check out more of her stuff. That last album she put out definitely has a lot of Stevie imprints on it. I wouldn't be surprised if she wrote some of Carousel to begin with.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well Vanessa doesn't say anything about Stevie writing any of it:

Old 09-06-2014, 12:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
Well Vanessa doesn't say anything about Stevie writing any of it:
Right. The guessing about any of it being written by Stevie is due to her having a song of the same title (formerly listed on Nicksfix.com), long before the days of Vanessa Carlton being a known musician; and also holding a copyright of a song also titled Carousel effective 1981.

Of course, they may be two totally different things, and it really may just be a cover, but given the theme of this album, I would not be at all surprised if it she did turn out to have a a hand in writing it. We'll know for certain on the 30th, I suppose.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

hmmm...interesting.. I like it, and I like that it's an unexpected cover. Or maybe there is a story behind it, and Stevie has written some of this version. It's strange how she also has a copyright of a song with the same name. From what Stevie says in the Sunset Sessions video, she has a real connection with this song, so it makes sense that she wants to record it.

I really like what she did with Vanessa Carlton and Circle Dance, so I'm happy to have this is on the album. I'm not particularly a fan of Vanessa's solo work, and I only know a few of her songs, but I like her collaborations with Stevie. The only part I'm not keen on is the white rabbits line - I'm trying to imagine Stevie singing it. Maybe it will grow on me. The song itself is sweet, catchy and is already stuck in my head. Also, I prefer Stevie singing the lead on this
Old 09-06-2014, 04:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Stevie is putting the royalties from "Carousel" into a trust fund for her future god child...

honey, that was the proviso on her covering it

i liked the snippet.
but now that i know it's a cover ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLight View Post
I wonder if this song qualifies as one that Stevie "performed live but was never properly recorded"? I would've preferred another demo (and an album made up entirely of Stevie-penned songs), but I'm digging the sound of this one.

well ... she COVERED The Rose
WHY didnt she record that instead lol
although i would have preferred Space effing Needle

STEVIE ... if you're TROLLING us ... please appease

Last edited by StreetAngel86; 09-06-2014 at 04:32 AM..
Old 09-06-2014, 04:53 AM
Senior Ledgie

We got this instead of 'Forest'?
Old 09-06-2014, 05:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by studyinscarlet View Post
We got this instead of 'Forest'?
You can't do that, though. You could say "we got this instead of Forest!?" about literally any Stevie song ever released, but to do so would make your brain eat itself. Stevie does what she does.

I'm not that disappointed about the inclusion of this song, because I more or less look at this release as I would any other Stevie album, and she's always thrown another songwriter into the mix. But I do think Vanessa's songwriting and Stevie's voice aren't an ideal match. I'm not expecting this to be an album highlight.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:49 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
You can't do that, though. You could say "we got this instead of Forest!?" about literally any Stevie song ever released, but to do so would make your brain eat itself. Stevie does what she does.

I'm not that disappointed about the inclusion of this song, because I more or less look at this release as I would any other Stevie album, and she's always thrown another songwriter into the mix. But I do think Vanessa's songwriting and Stevie's voice aren't an ideal match. I'm not expecting this to be an album highlight.
Let's just say it's a personal complaint then.