User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Angry TV Ad Against Bruce Springsteen Tour

TV Ad Against Bruce Springsteen Tour

Rocker Bruce Springsteen has been slammed for his upcoming concert tour to unseat current President George W. Bush.

Marilyn O'Grady, a Conservative Party candidate for the Senate, has launched a television ad campaign against the rock'n'roll star.

The Vote For Change tour is one of the most overtly political statements of Springsteen's 30 year career and he is joined by other significant acts, including rockers Pearl Jam, John Mellencamp and the Dixie Chicks.

In the ad, O'Grady says, "He thinks making millions with a song-and-dance routine that allows him to tell you how to vote."

"Here's my vote: Boycott the Boss. If you don't buy his politics, don't buy his music."

The commercials are set to run on Fox News channel before the tour starts in October.

First of all, I just need to say that this is a big bucket of warm BULL****! I am so glad that there is a political "tour" going on this summer against bush. There needs to be more of that.
The thing that pisses me off about this artical is why is this targeted at the Boss? The Dixie Chickens are in on this, Boonie Raitt (SP?), John Mellencapm, REM, and others are on this tour too. So don't target just one artist Target the tour.
I don't give a flying fu*k who you are, you do not trash one of my biggest musical influences.
Boycott... Who are you telling to boycott this? Kerry Supportes. There not going to listen to you crap anyways. All I/they want is Bush out of office. Freedom OF SPEECH ****ERS! People should be able to do what they want and say what they want. This is AMERICA! The last thing I need is some politician telling my to boycott something. You guys don't listen to people like me so why should I listen to you.

Ok that was my rant!.... Be sure to check out my "Bush Needs to leave thread"
Old 08-17-2004, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yet another attempt at mind control by the Republican party.

"Don't f*&k with anyone's dog and don't ever date a musician."
Old 08-17-2004, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think once a movie star, singer, etc., puts themselves in the political arena, then they cannot be surprised when people who do not like what they say react in this manner.

In any event, Do I think this woman is trying to start a witch hunt a la the Dixie Chicks - yes. Do I think she is a horrible person for it, yes. Do I question her right to do it - no. Do I think the artist has the right to act surprised when some harpy like this does something like this - No.

Also - the Dixie Chicks and country radio are one thing, but The Boss, who sells out ARENAS to this day, is quite another. She will fail.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 08-17-2004 at 03:01 PM..
Old 08-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Rumours77
"He thinks making millions with a song-and-dance routine that allows him to tell you how to vote."
It should read:

"I think running for the senate makes my opinions more important than the opinions of others."

She's a ballsy chick, if I do say so myself. She must think that just because she makes the thousands needed for a TV spot, that allows her to tell us what artist to like.

I'd be willing to bet that this is going to turn off a lot of people, fans or otherwise. I think it's an unwritten rule that you just don't mess with Bruce.

Old 08-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I'd be willing to bet that this is going to turn off a lot of people, fans or otherwise. I think it's an unwritten rule that you just don't mess with Bruce.
YEP!!!!!!

Old 08-17-2004, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think they're going after the wrong guy, that's for sure.

The Dixie Chicks are (or at least, were) well-liked, but Springsteen is LOVED, and deeply respected. He's a "working-class hero" in people's eyes, and a rock icon, period.

A lot of people have a deep affection for The Boss, and going after him, is like going after any other American institution.

It'll be interesting to see if this back-fires on Ms. O'Grady.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
It'll be interesting to see if this back-fires on Ms. O'Grady.
If...? Its more a question of when.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I don't think he'll respond. Let these fools keep it up.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
In any event, Do I think this woman is trying to start a witch hunt a la the Dixie Chicks - yes. Do I think she is a horrible person for it, yes. Do I question her right to do it - no. Do I think the artist has the right to act surprised when some harpy like this does something like this - No.

Also - the Dixie Chicks and country radio are one thing, but The Boss, who sells out ARENAS to this day, is quite another. She will fail.
A horrible person? A tad harsh. At any rate this IS a big mistake. I adore the Boss and so do most people. In fact I was just blasting "Thunder Road" on my way to Target today, lol. Stupid move on her part.

Old 08-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
A horrible person? A tad harsh. At any rate this IS a big mistake. I adore the Boss and so do most people. In fact I was just blasting "Thunder Road" on my way to Target today, lol. Stupid move on her part.
I think anyone who would belittle and question a man's constitutional right to freely express his political views has at least a hint of the horrible-ness to them.

Old 08-17-2004, 07:42 PM

Quote:
[B]I don't give a flying fu*k who you are, you do not trash one of my biggest musical influences.
Boycott... Who are you telling to boycott this? Kerry Supportes.
Easy there. This numbnuts has as much right to speak up against Bruce as Bruce does to speak up against Bush or anyone else.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
I used "horrible person" because I am so fed up with the Republican scorched earth policy of destroying anyone or anything against W's reelection by wrapping themselves in the flag and saying anyone and/or anything that dares to speak out against them is an unpatriotic member of Al-Q who needs to be financially slaughtered and publicly humiliated, which is what this person is doing and/or implying. I think that make her horrible

I guess I am stil smarting from Max Cleland's defeat here in GA. The R's, with W's blessings, called a man "unpatriotic" and "Al-Q sympathiser" who left two legs and an arm on the battlefield in Vietnam - they called him this because he dared to vote against the creation of the Dept. of Homeland Sec. becuase the R.'s wanted to use the furor over 9/11 to slip in denying these 144,000 govt. employess their right to be unionized and get other govt. benefits that every other govt. employee gets and that some of these people would be getting until their jobs were switched for them by the creation of this new Agency. That was horrible. May God forgive them for that because that was just a sin in my book. Again, the man ledt about half of his body defending this country and those who chose not to go called him unpatriotic - that is the length Karl Rove will go to to keep power and it just sickens me.

Note: Nancy - this rant was not at you darlin'

Old 08-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Easy there. This numbnuts has as much right to speak up against Bruce as Bruce does to speak up against Bush or anyone else.
Yea I know, It just baffles me that this country has freedom of speech and yet people are being told to "Boycott" something over what is being said.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yea I know, It just baffles me that this country has freedom of speech and yet people are being told to "Boycott" something over what is being said.
Well, that is too simple an explanation IMO. For instance, would you buy the record of someone who played in support of W and went around saying W was the only way to go and Kerry must be defeated at all costs. I submit most on the left would lose their indignation and not buy that person's product - but I could be wrong. So, the sword cuts both ways. It is not people responding to a famous person's overt political speech that I object to - I think that is fair game. What I object to is the R's strategy of launching these huge attack machines to prey on the patriotism this country was feeling after 9/11 to malign these people. A good example is the Dixie Chicks. Sean Hannity, a far right wing pundit, actually said Natalie Maines' put our troops in harm's way by telling a London audience prior to the Iraq war that she was ashamed the Pres. of the U.S. was from Texas. Many people believed Hannity and others who persecuted NM's silly and innocuous comment and the rest is history. That is why I think such things are dangerous no matter who foes them.

Old 08-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I guess I am stil smarting from Max Cleland's defeat here in GA.
Then let's not forget McCain. What kind of dirt must they have on him? They eat their own. It's disgusting.