Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Road trip advice- KY, TN, GA

I'm taking a ten day road trip with my boyfriend next week from Chicago to southern Georgia. We won't be staying very long anywhere, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of places to see, the best place to stay, etc in these cities... I've got a good idea of what to do in Nashville, as I've been there before, but Atlanta & Louisville are mysteries!

Louisville, KY
Atlanta, GA
Nashville, TN

We are also planning on spending a day at Mammoth Cave in Kentucky- has anyone been there and has any advice for what to see / not to see?
Old 02-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

where in georgia are you going? i've driven from cleveland to columbus, ga, a couple times. as for mammoth cave - make sure you get there early enough in the day. when i went there this summer, we got there in the afternoon and they told us it was too late to take a tour. bummer.

i haven't done much sightseeing in atlanta, but my mom was there last weekend and said the aquarium was disappointing.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ooh Atlanta...are you at all interesting in Gone With the Wind? I've heard there's some great stuff relating to that to see out there....and as that's one of my favorite movies of all time I've always wanted to go there...

Other than that I don't really know what's there...CNN? ha...but anyway have fun on the road trip!
Old 02-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Mammoth Cave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley View Post
We are also planning on spending a day at Mammoth Cave in Kentucky- has anyone been there and has any advice for what to see / not to see?
My family went there a long time ago. I remember LOTS of walking uphill and stairs. Take good, comfortable shoes and a jacket. Enjoy your trip!
Old 02-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love atlanta. I think georgia has to be my favorite state

anyway. I've been to mammoth cave, but it's been so long(15 years maybe), I really can't remember.

Louisville is nice. I wish I had a little more notice because my boss' wife is from there and she would have some adventures for you to do but unfortunatley they are out of town until next week I go there every year for meetings in april.
as far as places to eat-Joe's crabshack is on the water and is good from what I hear (I don't eat seafood) and if you want to get a little more ritzy, I recommend Kunz's fourth and market http://www.louisville.com/entertainment/dining.aspx. They have great pork chops!! As far as nightlife (I don't know what you're looking for) I've always had a good time at O'Malleys (address- http://www.louisville.com/entertainm...archclubs.aspx) Downtown there is fourth street live which is a LOT of fun It has restaurants/bars etc all in one area

obviously, Louisville is home of the Derby, but there won't be much going on. I'd still try to see the sights if you get a chance. Hope you have fun in the great state of Kentucky. (please come back and tell everyone we aren't that bad )
Old 02-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remembered this thread from a few years ago, just because of Josh's awesome pics at the end.

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=22025

Also, on the way through TN, you'll see hundreds of billboards for Rock City in Chattanooga. It's nice as a lookout point (you can see 7 states from the top of the ridge), but pretty cheesy otherwise. It's pretty up there, but don't plan for a lot of time up there. Maybe lunch.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna View Post
Other than that I don't really know what's there...CNN? ha...but anyway have fun on the road trip!
Um, hello?!?! Strand is! What else would she need?
Old 02-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't think of anything in Tennessee worth stopping to look at, honestly.

Other than like, me, I mean. wakka wakka.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
where in georgia are you going? i've driven from cleveland to columbus, ga, a couple times. as for mammoth cave - make sure you get there early enough in the day. when i went there this summer, we got there in the afternoon and they told us it was too late to take a tour. bummer.

i haven't done much sightseeing in atlanta, but my mom was there last weekend and said the aquarium was disappointing.
It's this BFE town called Albany, closer to the Florida border than to Atlanta. My boyfriend's ex-stepson (o hay confusing explanation!) lives down there with his mom and we're going down to visit him for his birthday.

I think we'll be there early enough! You can make reservations for tours on the website so I think I'm going to do it to be safe. I am NOT a spontaneous vacation person!

Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna View Post
Ooh Atlanta...are you at all interesting in Gone With the Wind? I've heard there's some great stuff relating to that to see out there....and as that's one of my favorite movies of all time I've always wanted to go there...

I LOVE GONE WITH THE WIND. Hi, I'm an idiot. How come I hadn't even thought about that??? Thank you!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post
My family went there a long time ago. I remember LOTS of walking uphill and stairs. Take good, comfortable shoes and a jacket. Enjoy your trip!
Thanks for the advice! We actually both want to do the super long 6 hour spelunking tour they offer but they don't do it in February- if we can want to do that I think that the longer walking tour won't be a problem! In fact, it might be nice to do that much walking after sitting on my ass in the car for so long.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2677 View Post
I love atlanta. I think georgia has to be my favorite state

anyway. I've been to mammoth cave, but it's been so long(15 years maybe), I really can't remember.

Louisville is nice. I wish I had a little more notice because my boss' wife is from there and she would have some adventures for you to do but unfortunatley they are out of town until next week I go there every year for meetings in april.
as far as places to eat-Joe's crabshack is on the water and is good from what I hear (I don't eat seafood) and if you want to get a little more ritzy, I recommend Kunz's fourth and market http://www.louisville.com/entertainment/dining.aspx. They have great pork chops!! As far as nightlife (I don't know what you're looking for) I've always had a good time at O'Malleys (address- http://www.louisville.com/entertainm...archclubs.aspx) Downtown there is fourth street live which is a LOT of fun It has restaurants/bars etc all in one area

obviously, Louisville is home of the Derby, but there won't be much going on. I'd still try to see the sights if you get a chance. Hope you have fun in the great state of Kentucky. (please come back and tell everyone we aren't that bad )
As of now we're stopping in Louisville just because it's convenient- I think the only thing I know I want to do is go to earX-tacy, which is just an awesome music store. Thanks for the advice on the nightlife! I think we'll probably head downtown and see what's shaking.

I've driven through Kentucky once before and it was such a beautiful drive- you won't get any knocks from me. I grew up in KANSAS and people do not like to let me forget it!
Old 02-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxxed View Post
I remembered this thread from a few years ago, just because of Josh's awesome pics at the end.

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=22025

Also, on the way through TN, you'll see hundreds of billboards for Rock City in Chattanooga. It's nice as a lookout point (you can see 7 states from the top of the ridge), but pretty cheesy otherwise. It's pretty up there, but don't plan for a lot of time up there. Maybe lunch.
Oh, thanks so much for digging that up! I don't remember seeing that thread, and the suggestions there are immensely helpful. Thanks also for the heads up on Rock City. I'll probably stop there just because I like the name
Old 02-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
I can't think of anything in Tennessee worth stopping to look at, honestly.

Other than like, me, I mean. wakka wakka.
lolz. nice!

I want to go to Hatch Show Print. I think that'd be worth it? And maybe the Opry or the Hall of Fame ? Last time I was in Nashville I was there to see the Mac and I didn't do anything but walk around a bit, be drunk, and see the show.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Rock City!

I remember going there when I was like 10 (1986) and then, my dad and I went back not too long ago. It's a really beautiful little place. It's neat to see at least once. Yeah, it's kinda corny and aimed at kids for the most part, but I think you guys should go check it out. Oh and Fat Man's Squeeze... . You'll get what I mean if you go. Heh. On the way there, you'll see people's barns that say See Rock City. Kinda neat.