The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:27 PM

Default US Festival 1982: The 'Us' Generation

Today I've finally downloaded the prerelease the infamous Us festival documentary and started watching it; for now I've received only the actual film but I'll have, along with the other backers, the extra material (as in the full performances) in one or two weeks.

I'll give a more detailed review after having watched properly the entire documentary, but I've browsed through the whole film and I've seen that a few songs performances from the biggest bands are featured at various points, e.g. Bye Bye Love of The Cars, Refugee by Tom Petty, and (rightfully) The Chain by Fleetwood Mac.

After seeing the full song I can anticipate that, compared to the leaked video we've seen months ago:
1) There is no comparison in terms of sound quality, the work done on the audio has brought out a new fullness from both voices and instruments
2) the clearness of the video has increased also a lot, the details and the colors are much sharper and more vivid
3) There's small video editing done here and there (more close ups on the crowd and the technological innovations like the big screens) that gives a slightly more professional look
Old 11-22-2017, 02:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yay! So glad this is finally happening-looking forward to your full review Sister Nightroad!
Old 11-23-2017, 05:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Today I've finally downloaded the prerelease the infamous Us festival documentary and started watching it; for now I've received only the actual film but I'll have, along with the other backers, the extra material (as in the full performances) in one or two weeks.

I'll give a more detailed review after having watched properly the entire documentary, but I've browsed through the whole film and I've seen that a few songs performances from the biggest bands are featured at various points, e.g. Bye Bye Love of The Cars, Refugee by Tom Petty, and (rightfully) The Chain by Fleetwood Mac.

After seeing the full song I can anticipate that, compared to the leaked video we've seen months ago:
1) There is no comparison in terms of sound quality, the work done on the audio has brought out a new fullness from both voices and instruments
2) the clearness of the video has increased also a lot, the details and the colors are much sharper and more vivid
3) There's small video editing done here and there (more close ups on the crowd and the technological innovations like the big screens) that gives a slightly more professional look

Did they happen to edit John’s botched bass solo in The Chain video?
Old 11-23-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
Did they happen to edit John’s botched bass solo in The Chain video?
No, the editing concern only the visual appearance, for example at some point in the beginning the camera, instead of keeping the perspective from the right of the stage like in the leaked video, it changes for a few seconds to the point of view of the big screens with the "Us Festival logo", and at another point the camera stays a few second longer on Christine.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:25 PM

I'm so glad the audio is mixed... in did not sound mixed in the footage we saw on youtube or Vevo... wherever we saw it..
Old 11-28-2017, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post

So the only Fleetwood Mac performance in the documentary is The Chain?
Old 11-29-2017, 01:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Axs Tv...

Just watched this on AXS TV and it took all I had to
watch the two hour program. I usually like these type
of programs. But this one was insufferably boring!

Too many interviews, not enough music. Hopefully the
full concerts will be released. Until then, save for the final
fifteen minutes when the Mac appears, save your time.
You'll thank me for it.

And for John's performance - was he drunk? That was
embarrassing. I hope he thanked Lindsey after the show
for saving his derriere.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While it’s awesome to see the Fleetwood Mac videos from the US Festival, finally. I’d be more interested in seeing all the performances that were cut from the HBO thing. Fleetwood Mac was on their A game those nights. They seem a little rough around the edges at the US Festival.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just watched the documentary on Axis also. I too fast forwarded thru a lot of it. I really enjoyed the performances. Especially the Tom Petty segment. Very bittersweet especially the comments made about him. And of course the Mac, who were at the end. I wondered what was going on with the John bass solo. It was a little weird, but I think the casual fan wouldn't notice.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 12-01-2017, 04:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
I just watched the documentary on Axis also. I too fast forwarded thru a lot of it.

I wondered what was going on with the John bass solo. It was a little weird, but I think the casual fan wouldn't notice.
I watched it live so I didn't have the luxury of
fast forwarding through it.

With John's bass line being one of the best known
ever, I think most people would notice. And if one
takes a serious listen I hope they hear how Lindsey
came to the rescue.

I anxiously await Sisternightroad's review. As
she's kept this topic alive and us up to date with the
progress of this project.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well after watching the performance a second time, I think John's solo is accurate. I think it's Lindsey that doesn't come in at the right time and it stumps Mick, who stops for a second and then starts playing again.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 03-23-2018, 02:56 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
Well after watching the performance a second time, I think John's solo is accurate. I think it's Lindsey that doesn't come in at the right time and it stumps Mick, who stops for a second and then starts playing again.
Just getting caught up on this documentary...

Where can you find the performances, are they releasing them as part of the funded kickstarter?

It's definitely John who doesn't come in on the right time on The Chain. He's coming in on the 2 or 3 beat instead of 1. It throws Lindsey and Mick off. Mick then slows it quiets it down to get his attention and put him back on the beat. You can hear him do that with the "DA DA. DA DA." beats which finally puts John back in sync, then Lindsey joins in to make sure they're fully locked in. What an awesome band, I'm sad that I wasn't alive then to see them...

Personally, I think little flubs like that make the band interesting!
Old 03-23-2018, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwoodguy79 View Post
Just getting caught up on this documentary...

Where can you find the performances, are they releasing them as part of the funded kickstarter?

It's definitely John who doesn't come in on the right time on The Chain. He's coming in on the 2 or 3 beat instead of 1. It throws Lindsey and Mick off. Mick then slows it quiets it down to get his attention and put him back on the beat. You can hear him do that with the "DA DA. DA DA." beats which finally puts John back in sync, then Lindsey joins in to make sure they're fully locked in. What an awesome band, I'm sad that I wasn't alive then to see them...

Personally, I think little flubs like that make the band interesting!
This is what rock n roll is supposed to be. Today a big mistake during a concert would be the computer generated keyboards wont shut up or the karaoke machine gets stuck

I have often said the live shows in 1982 were the last for the Mac. No background singers, no added percussionists, etc. Today you don't get the raw live arena rock sound you did back then. That is why I am so happy the Mac did their 1980 live album.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
This is what rock n roll is supposed to be. Today a big mistake during a concert would be the computer generated keyboards wont shut up or the karaoke machine gets stuck

I have often said the live shows in 1982 were the last for the Mac. No background singers, no added percussionists, etc. Today you don't get the raw live arena rock sound you did back then. That is why I am so happy the Mac did their 1980 live album.
Let's get a beer. I feel the same way.

We use a lot of technology for our live show (soft synths and small backing tracks are almost a necessity) but at our core, you have to have something ballsy, compelling, and rock. I miss that Mac, too.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Never saw these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV_dnrxD6v4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOZ0at0ZKU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KkZK1pZLgc