Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:40 AM
Ledgie

Default Behind The Mask

I have read that Lindsey cringes at the mention of this album but I gotta be honest, I have always loved it. Given that Chris and Stevie are on there, I sorta viewed it as it's on project away from MAC.

There are some great songs on it and it captures that FM mystique alittle.

When I listen to it now, it's sort of nostalgic.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
I have read that Lindsey cringes at the mention of this album but I gotta be honest, I have always loved it. Given that Chris and Stevie are on there, I sorta viewed it as it's on project away from MAC.There are some great songs on it and it captures that FM mystique alittle.When I listen to it now, it's sort of nostalgic.
I think Lindsey probably meant the TIME album, not Behind the Mask.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:26 AM
Ledgie

oh, well in that case--the comment was warranted! haha

Actually, it's my nature to see the positive in everything and I'll say that although TIME didn't flow well, it had some redeeming songs.

I wished WOC had been recorded by Stevie, the song woulda been letter perfect for her although she didn't write it.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I think Lindsey probably meant the TIME album, not Behind the Mask.
No, he cringes at both. Actually, with TIME, he thought the band had some potential. Lindsey was a fan of Dave Mason, and was more than aware of Bekka Bramlett's potential. Then again, Lindsey talks out of both sides of his ass, so who knows. Pretty much across the board, Lindsey feels that anything he's not on is inferior.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Pretty much across the board, Lindsey feels that anything he's not on is inferior.
But he was on BTM, he played on the song BTM.
It was him, he made the entire album work.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have read that Lindsey cringes at the mention of this album but I gotta be honest, I have always loved it.
The only thing he's ever said about it, to my knowledge, is that it's "generic." And in terms of the formalistic elements (sound construction, arrangements, etc.), many people feel he was right. Lindsey respects & responds to a certain amount of weirdness in conception & execution, & one would be hard-pressed to identify any weirdness (what Rolling Stone once called "pop rococo" -- quick! Google it!) in MASK. That's what he meant by "generic."

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Actually, with TIME, he thought the band had some potential.
My guess is that, if he thought the TIME project had any potential, it was owing to the fact that Dashut was involved (along with the three Brits, of course).

Quote:
Lindsey was a fan of Dave Mason
Find the exact quote & let's examine that putative admiration again. Let's try to put it into some sort of believable context (for example, Lindsey liked a very old Mason album that predated TIME by about 20 years).

Quote:
and was more than aware of Bekka Bramlett's potential.
Did I miss something, or are you conjecturing?

Quote:
Then again, Lindsey talks out of both sides of his ass, so who knows.
Well, yeah, he does that. But after all these years, you (of all people) should by now have a pretty good idea of what sort of music & production he gravitates toward.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have read that Lindsey cringes at the mention of this album but I gotta be honest, I have always loved it. Given that Chris and Stevie are on there, I sorta viewed it as it's on project away from MAC.

There are some great songs on it and it captures that FM mystique alittle.

When I listen to it now, it's sort of nostalgic.
Yeah, I love the album too, although I am not too fond of Rick Vito's country songs.....But Stevie is great.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would be shocked if he didn't like In the Back of My Mind. It sounds like a distant cousin of Tusk...

I like the songs that were put on 25 years The Chain, and Skies the Limit.
The rest is just...bleh to me.
Stand on the Rock is the biggest 'wtf' moment for me...
I just don't like Rick and Billy though.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

Well, does the fact that he played on her song indicate any type of support?

Michele
Old 07-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, does the fact that he played on her song indicate any type of support?
Hanging out a bit with old friends? A gesture (a cameo with one's old band isn't exactly unheard of in the record business)? It seems to me that more is often made of these guest shots than they sometimes warrant. Like a million other people, Lindsey has laid down some guitar tracks for dozens of acts. I don't think it always means that he has deep musical admiration for all those acts -- maybe he did, I don't know. But I think it's generally more casual than that. Did he love Dream Academy? Josie Cotton? Does anyone think Stevie Nicks has given that red-haired nobody she once sang a song with a second thought since then? Steve said Lindsey was aware of Bekka's potential. What does that mean? Potential for what? I thought Lindsey might have mentioned Bekka in some old interview that I don't remember seeing.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislit18 View Post
I would be shocked if he didn't like In the Back of My Mind. It sounds like a distant cousin of Tusk...
I'd be shocked if he did. My hunch is that he considered it (if he heard it at all) ponderous & art-rocky. But we could always ask him about it for the next YouTube Ask Lindsey!

Quote:
I like the songs that were put on 25 years The Chain, and Skies the Limit.
The rest is just...bleh to me.
Stand on the Rock is the biggest 'wtf' moment for me...
I just don't like Rick and Billy though.
Yes, STAND ON THE ROCK is cheap cock-rock. It's designed for people who order chili dogs at the monster truck rally, except that they'd probably rather hear Bon Jovi or Whitesnake. When Ratt writes a catchier hook (ROUND & ROUND) than Fleetwood Mac, trouble is afoot.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My guess is that, if he thought the TIME project had any potential, it was owing to the fact that Dashut was involved (along with the three Brits, of course).

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/...4429/mac_daddy

Quote:
\\You contributed some backing vocals to the last Mac record, "Time." After you left, how many of the band's new records did you listen to?

\\Well, "Behind the Mask," which still had Stevie and Christine, I certainly listened to maybe once, but I didn't put too much into it because the music was already becoming more generic. When I heard that Dave Mason was joining, my initial reaction was, "Oh, that could be good." But apparently, it wasn't. [laughs] Then when I heard that they were doing this nostalgia package tour with REO Speedwagon and Pat Benatar, I was like, "What happened?"
---------------------------------------

Quote:
Find the exact quote & let's examine that putative admiration again. Let's try to put it into some sort of believable context (for example, Lindsey liked a very old Mason album that predated TIME by about 20 years).
http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/articles/FMart110.html

Quote:
Who was your main lead guitar influence?

I can't say it was one person. I used to love Led Zeppelin, but I never sat around trying to learn Jimmy Page licks. In terms of developing a sense of melody, I was helped along by Dave Mason's Alone Together -a wonderful album with a very pretty kind of lead-guitar style. But I never thought of myself as someone who was going to go out there and burn it up. In fact, the lead stuff came very late for me.
---------------------------------------

Quote:
http://www.nicksfix.com/sfchronicle1.htm

Quote:
Q: Did you follow the subsequent permutations of the Fleetwood Mac lineups that Mick Fleetwood led after you left the band ?

A: From a distance. When I left the band and they got Billy Burnette and Rick Vito, that was fine because Stevie was still there and there was a semblance of it being that thing, even though it was a little more generic.

I think by the time it got down to being no Stevie and Bekka Bramlett and Dave Mason, which actually didn't sound too bad on paper but I guess didn't play out too well, a lot of people were not too happy with that because it really did bastardize the good name, if you want to look at it in that way.

Maybe in Mick's defence, all the incarnations of Fleetwood Mac after Peter Green days, many of which were nonsequiturs from incarnation to incarnation, led him to the point where he ran into us. That same process of constantly reaching out to people more than to a concept is what got him to us in the first place. I think to some degree he was able to feel he was just doing the same thing he'd always done. But it's a little more tricky after the fact.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
But he was on BTM, he played on the song BTM.
It was him, he made the entire album work.
what did you mean? the entire album work? He just played a part on the song BTM.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
what did you mean? the entire album work? He just played a part on the song BTM.
I could be wrong, but I suspect that was sarcasm...

THE Stephen Hopkins