Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-22-2002, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie, Rick and Billy

I excerpted this from a transcript of a 1987 press conference with the Mac, right before the Tango tour. (The transcript was posted on the fabulous FM site, burnish.net.)
I found this excerpt interesting because Stevie seems quite noncommittal about working with the revamped band again in the studio. Especially her weird little remark to Christine after she talks about making another album: "Interesting." As in, "what the hell are you talking about?? Make an album with these guys?"
It just makes me wonder how enthusiastic she was about the new line-up. Any thoughts?

Press: What's up after the tour?

Christine: After the tour? Hopefully this configuration will go in and make a record.

Stevie: Interesting.

Press: Will the solo careers continue?

Christine: Solo careers are definitely still going to be happening. I mean, at some point in the future, I'd like to make another solo album. But at this point, this particular incarnation of the band is very exciting to me and I would have no reason to pick any other players than these, you know.

Press: Stevie?

Stevie: I was pretty much scheduled to go in to do a solo album now. So I just have made other plans until this tour is over and then I'll just decide then. I don't think there's any way, you know... It's really hard to say what you're going to do after a ten week tour, you know. We may never come back.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting observation, blinker.

I do think she felt a lot of uncertainty about continuing in FM at that point - a lot more mixed feelings about it than she would let on until years later.

Even though she was doing the "we're united and will go forth" thing that everyone was doing in 1987 right after Lindsey's departure, some of her more recent interviews seem to indicate she maybe didn't feel that quite so deeply beyond a certain point.

In '97 there were the comments along the lines of --

- "At the inauguration, I just realized I wanted it to be back the way it was, or I didn't want to be in it anymore. I couldn't continue to be in a Fleetwood Mac that didn't have Lindsey in it."

- "But I realized a long time ago that there is no Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey Buckingham. If it can't be with him, then let's not do it."

That comment you mentioned does make me wonder if she initially had only envisioned making it through the Tango tour and then letting it go. I know she liked Rick and Billy just fine. But just maybe, when her anger/shock at Lindsey's departure wore off a little or waned at certain moments, she didn't have the same connection or affection for the idea of continuing to be a part of the band??