User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Then there will be no problem with you supplying the hand claps! Good to know.
lol. knowing the song and willingness to supply the hand claps are 2 very different things.

i'm not good in following instructions in my entertainment activities. they are supposed to entertain me, not try to make me follow some predetermined activity.

Queen's We Will Rock you may be the only exception. i would love to participate in those claps and will forever regret i didn't see them live when i had the opportunity.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
lol. knowing the song and willingness to supply the hand claps are 2 very different things.

i'm not good in following instructions in my entertainment activities. they are supposed to entertain me, not try to make me follow some predetermined activity.
I know what you mean and I don't really participate in the Landslide swaying Kumbaya thing. However, when I saw Stevie with Tom Petty, I got such a good vibe during Learning to Fly with the audience singing part of the verse (when Tom was silent) that it made me yearn for FM to have something where the audience could get into too. More of a duet between us and them than a singalong. I enjoyed it.

For SYW, Stevie would swing an invisible lariat and do a little dance. The audiences learned it after awhile. I thought that was kind of fun as well. Not that I want them to do any choreographed moves. I don't. Perish the thought.

Michele
Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know what you mean and I don't really participate in the Landslide swaying Kumbaya thing. However, when I saw Stevie with Tom Petty, I got such a good vibe during Learning to Fly with the audience singing part of the verse (when Tom was silent) that it made me yearn for FM to have something where the audience could get into too. More of a duet between us and them than a singalong. I enjoyed it.

For SYW, Stevie would swing an invisible lariat and do a little dance. The audiences learned it after awhile. I thought that was kind of fun as well. Not that I want them to do any choreographed moves. I don't. Perish the thought.

Michele
We are supposed to sway during Landslide? That seals it, that will be my bathroom break song.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
We are supposed to sway during Landslide?
Well, the band doesn't do anything to suggest you must. It's just that a lot of people like to take out their lighters, raise their hands, sing along with Stevie, cry at the "getting older too" part and generally throw themselves into it with solemn emotion.

Michele
Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, the band doesn't do anything to suggest you must. It's just that a lot of people like to take out their lighters, raise their hands, sing along with Stevie, cry at the "getting older too" part and generally throw themselves into it with solemn emotion.

Michele
Yup, I'm definitely going to need to get out of there for Landslide.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
Yup, I'm definitely going to need to get out of there for Landslide.
Perfect toilet break!
Old 03-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
glad Judd Appatow's been consistent in pursuing him, even though i'm not exactly crazy about his This is 40 songs.
I’ve seen similar comments on other threads about the This Is 40 songs, and I feel I have to give a little love to them—
When I first heard them as simple mp3 files from the web, I was also ‘meh,’ esp after the deluge of new and interesting stuff from SWS and OMS. But, I have done a 180 on these for these reasons-

1. I bought the This Is 40 soundtrack. It is a great collection of sometimes quirky, sometimes straight-up songs that totally hang together – the vision of Jon Brion is cohesive and evident, and if you listen to the soundtrack in its totality, I think you can see that LB’s contributions are spot-on, and really add to the whole. In fact, as nicely spaced as they are at 4, 8, and 12, I find them high points that I look forward to. And it’s nice to see LB in such good company with some very cool and diverse artists like Paul Simon, Paul McCartney, Avett Brothers, Ryan Adams etc, and has guitar credits on a couple of non-LB songs. In other words, it’s not like he just put out 3 new songs with no context – they seemed to be deliberately shaped for this collection, and in that sense, I think they’re great.

2. After the highly processed, high and whispery vocals on SWS, I really enjoyed the more mature, ‘natural’ tenor of LB’s current voice on these songs. It makes them more intimate, and I feel closer to the songs because of that. This is especially true of She Acts Like You – it’s 100% voice and guitar! Just what he was going for in recent OMS – and it’s beautiful. As a guitarist, I love how he takes a couple of simple motifs, and just puts little tweaks on them that are lovely. Simple, yes, and maybe I don’t see it being played in concert, but still, very very good.

3. She Acts Like You – My fave of these three…Such a great tune, great lyrics. At first listen, the words recalled an idea from Go Insane – she’s a lot like you – where LB is expressing torment with lovers. But now, in his older, wiser voice, he is not tormented or self-involved, but merely an observant parent, noticing (the inevitable) similarities between his daughter and his wife, and between his daughter and himself. It’s a generational shift, and a milestone for any parent to see themselves in their children, and I like hearing from that LB perspective (of course, this is just my take on the song - it could be totally off!). I also have a teenaged daughter, and something in this song really resonates for me. Even the reference to ‘all dressed up in blue’ brings to mind the endless pairs of blue jeans that are middle school uniform.
4. Sick Of You – I gotta believe that when/if Judd Apatow approached LB with the movie premise that a long-together couple have grown overly familiar with each other and seemed to have forgotten why they’re even together and could he contribute a song in that vein….that LB didn’t have to look very far for inspiration…I think it’s kind of a tongue in cheek about his long relationship with SN. It’s not mean, more lighthearted, like a ‘shrug’ and oh well, it is what it is, almost amused. Especially bcz of the reference to ‘No one else could ever do’ – those words from so long ago have turned out to indeed be true, and he seems to be reflecting on that. Simple, but effective, and again, nice guitar.

So that’s my more than 2 cents about the This Is 40 songs – overall, I like em alot and think they’re solid songwriting and perfect for what they were meant to be, and I’ve put them into my favorite LB songs rotation on my ipod for sure
Old 03-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper View Post
I’ve seen similar comments on other threads about the This Is 40 songs, and I feel I have to give a little love to them—
When I first heard them as simple mp3 files from the web, I was also ‘meh,’ esp after the deluge of new and interesting stuff from SWS and OMS. But, I have done a 180 on these for these reasons-

1. I bought the This Is 40 soundtrack. It is a great collection of sometimes quirky, sometimes straight-up songs that totally hang together – the vision of Jon Brion is cohesive and evident, and if you listen to the soundtrack in its totality, I think you can see that LB’s contributions are spot-on, and really add to the whole. In fact, as nicely spaced as they are at 4, 8, and 12, I find them high points that I look forward to. And it’s nice to see LB in such good company with some very cool and diverse artists like Paul Simon, Paul McCartney, Avett Brothers, Ryan Adams etc, and has guitar credits on a couple of non-LB songs. In other words, it’s not like he just put out 3 new songs with no context – they seemed to be deliberately shaped for this collection, and in that sense, I think they’re great.

2. After the highly processed, high and whispery vocals on SWS, I really enjoyed the more mature, ‘natural’ tenor of LB’s current voice on these songs. It makes them more intimate, and I feel closer to the songs because of that. This is especially true of She Acts Like You – it’s 100% voice and guitar! Just what he was going for in recent OMS – and it’s beautiful. As a guitarist, I love how he takes a couple of simple motifs, and just puts little tweaks on them that are lovely. Simple, yes, and maybe I don’t see it being played in concert, but still, very very good.

3. She Acts Like You – My fave of these three…Such a great tune, great lyrics. At first listen, the words recalled an idea from Go Insane – she’s a lot like you – where LB is expressing torment with lovers. But now, in his older, wiser voice, he is not tormented or self-involved, but merely an observant parent, noticing (the inevitable) similarities between his daughter and his wife, and between his daughter and himself. It’s a generational shift, and a milestone for any parent to see themselves in their children, and I like hearing from that LB perspective (of course, this is just my take on the song - it could be totally off!). I also have a teenaged daughter, and something in this song really resonates for me. Even the reference to ‘all dressed up in blue’ brings to mind the endless pairs of blue jeans that are middle school uniform.
4. Sick Of You – I gotta believe that when/if Judd Apatow approached LB with the movie premise that a long-together couple have grown overly familiar with each other and seemed to have forgotten why they’re even together and could he contribute a song in that vein….that LB didn’t have to look very far for inspiration…I think it’s kind of a tongue in cheek about his long relationship with SN. It’s not mean, more lighthearted, like a ‘shrug’ and oh well, it is what it is, almost amused. Especially bcz of the reference to ‘No one else could ever do’ – those words from so long ago have turned out to indeed be true, and he seems to be reflecting on that. Simple, but effective, and again, nice guitar.

So that’s my more than 2 cents about the This Is 40 songs – overall, I like em alot and think they’re solid songwriting and perfect for what they were meant to be, and I’ve put them into my favorite LB songs rotation on my ipod for sure
OK you, and only you convinced me to buy the soundtrack now. Thanks for that.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
OK you, and only you convinced me to buy the soundtrack now. Thanks for that.
I have the soundtrack, and it is definitely worth getting. Sure, Lindsey has been more daring and creative elsewhere, but there is something about these songs that really resonates. I agree they were written in the context of the movie plot, so you have to make some accommodation for that.

I like that the voice is unprocessed. It's actually one of the things that has become a bit tiring about Lindsey's production in recent years. It's almost like he has no confidence in his vocals and feels like he has to mess with them.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

Well the song it's nothing special...to be honest, in my opinion, it is a bad song.

" Mi dicono alla radio statti calmo statti buono,
non esser scalmanato stai tranquillo e fatti uomo,
ma io con la mia guerra voglio andare sempre avanti,
e costi quel che costi la vincerò non ci son santi. "
Old 03-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwind View Post
Well the song it's nothing special...to be honest, in my opinion, it is a bad song.
You're very mild. I haven't heard such a drizzle for a long time. Brrrr.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper View Post

Excellent review

I love Lindsey's songs from This Is 40, and while I agree that they're great in the context of the album, I actually prefer to listen to them as a 3 song EP (keeping them in the same order as on the album). The lyrics may seem simple to some, but I find them to be thoughtful, honest, and right to the heart of the matter. I think he did a beautiful job.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
Excellent review

I love Lindsey's songs from This Is 40, and while I agree that they're great in the context of the album, I actually prefer to listen to them as a 3 song EP (keeping them in the same order as on the album). The lyrics may seem simple to some, but I find them to be thoughtful, honest, and right to the heart of the matter. I think he did a beautiful job.
Agree 100% with this whole post - nothing to add!
Old 03-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rolling Stone, by Catherine Fuentes March 26, 2013

This has been a busy year for Delta Rae; the soulful roots-rockers released their major-label debut, Carry the Fire, in June and recently wrapped up a two-month coheadlining tour with ZZ Ward. Now, one of the Durham, North Carolina band's biggest inspirations, Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham, has teamed up with the group to play guitar on their sensitive track "If I Loved You."

"Fleetwood Mac and Lindsey Buckingham's writing have been so influential to us, and so to have his talents and incredibly distinctive guitar playing laid over one of our tracks felt like the world sort of folding over on itself," frontman Ian Holljes tells Rolling Stone. "It was rewarding on two huge levels – the thrill of having one of your heroes play on your song and the actual impact of his beautiful guitarwork enhancing the song so meaningfully."

Women Who Rock: Delta Rae

The simple and raw video for "If I Loved You" focuses on the emotional performances of the six bandmates in front of a black background. "This video captures what I love most about the song," singer Elizabeth Hopkins tells Rolling Stone of the clip, which does not include Buckingham. "Telling someone point-blank that you don't love them is difficult and painful. I've done it. It feels horrible, but there is also a release that comes along with it, a lifting of a weight. I think this video lets you focus on the rawness of that message."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/vi...#ixzz2Ofmoe1SP
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
Old 08-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Excerpt from Delta Rae review]

Creative Loafing March 7, 2013 by Jordan Lawrence

http://clclt.com/charlotte/can-delta...nt?oid=3031076

Take the band's recent collaboration with Lindsey Buckingham. As pop innovators go, few have proven as ambitious or successful as Buckingham. As the guitarist for Fleetwood Mac, he helped produce the lush sound that made Rumours, in 1977, one of the most successful LPs of all time. The group's 1979 follow-up, Tusk, saw him taking total control of production, fusing the Mac's stadium pop with aggressive psychedelic flourishes and the modular style pioneered by The Beach Boys, creating a truly unique mix of contrasting elements that he has continued to refine in his subsequent solo career.

He joins Delta Rae for the radio release of "If I Loved You," a particularly uninspired bit of saccharine folk-pop from Carry the Fire. Buckingham does his best to invigorate the tune, replacing the original's placid strumming with nervy jangles that move with the Mac's lively bounce, but all this accomplishes is to highlight how cloying Delta Rae's emotional knee jerks are next to a band so profoundly dramatic as Fleetwood Mac.