User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
But "Can't Go Back" and "Book of Love" are among his best.
Empire State and Can't Go Back can go hide in a closet for all I care but I have always been partial to Book of Love. I always thought that would be an interesting song for him to rearrange and do in lieu of Big Love or maybe as a replacement for the drawn out snooze fest that has become of Never Going Back Again.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yes, very much with you on everything you said!!

i never even cared about Chris' songs much, other than Hold Me, until I met Jbrownsjr. He set me straight!
damn right!!!!
Old 10-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought Over My head sounded better then it ever has live.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
"when the hell did you think it was a good idea to take out the rocking solos in half of the damn songs?"
LOL. I hope they ask that question someday and I hope it is phrased exactly as you put it.

Michele
Old 10-03-2014, 12:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
Or, to play devil's advocate, Lindsey's tired of Stevie getting all the attention and acclaim and doesn't want the song to reach its full potential.
I hardly think that's the case. Lindsey knows that he gets credit for guitar work on Christine and Stevie's songs. He gets nothing but praise for YMLF and Gypsy, for instance. If his ego needed a boost, he'd be the one advocating hardest for a hot and heavy guitar meltdown at the end of SOTM.

Of course, I'm fine with the way the song is now. I think it's better than it was last tour. I appreciate it's past thrill from the old days, but it still rocksalittle -- or rocks enough -- for my tastes, just as it is.

Michele
Old 10-03-2014, 05:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
I don't know - I just don't think she's sounding as good as she could.
But I thought this in 97 as well.
I think Brown Eyes is a more interesting song, with a lot
more going on musically for John, Mick and Lindsey.
I think I'm just not a huge Little Lies fan.
It's pretty repetitive and poppy, and while I know people love it,
It's not really my thing.
Same for 7 Wonders, which I've always felt is one of the bands weaker
songs.

Over My Head for me was spot on.
Love Stevie's harmonies on it.
I know a way we can both be happy....adding Isnt it Midnight
Very rocking song, strong vocals, and Lindsey's amazing guitar work. Now that song sounds great live. I like all the songs Chris is doing but I guess I would switch it with dropping Over my head.
One thing that I prefer is the arena rock versions of Say you love me and Over my head. Ever since the Dance 1997 they went more for the studio sounding versions live. I like the organ and drums from Say You Love Me from the Live album. Now THAT is a LIVE cut. And also the live version of Over My Head from the Live album. But they went to studio versions live. I personally like to hear the Mac rock and like the arena rock versions of all their songs.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-03-2014 at 05:49 AM..
Old 10-03-2014, 06:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
Thanks!

Apparently, the person who posted awesome footage of the Minneapolis show on YouTube isn't allowing it to be shared on other websites, so here is the whole show for your own viewing pleasure.
You saved me some time by downloading the whole thing at once. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2014, 07:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Ever since the Dance 1997 they went more for the studio sounding versions live. I like the organ and drums from Say You Love Me from the Live album. Now THAT is a LIVE cut. And also the live version of Over My Head from the Live album. But they went to studio versions live. I personally like to hear the Mac rock and like the arena rock versions of all their songs.
This!! Could not agree more with you! It's like they decided with all the backing musicians they decided to arrange the songs based upon the studio versions in many cases. Whereas in the old days, they had to figure out how to arrange songs for the stage solely relying on the five of them (and Ray Lindsey on some songs with an added guitar). That resulted in a more rock oriented sound for songs like Rhiannon, Over My Head, Say You Love Me, The Chain, and so many others. Between the added musicians and Stevie's obnoxious "girls" singing and shimmying in the background, it's like they decided to abandon that old approach and try to recreate the album on stage in a lot of cases.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
This!! Could not agree more with you! It's like they decided with all the backing musicians they decided to arrange the songs based upon the studio versions in many cases. Whereas in the old days, they had to figure out how to arrange songs for the stage solely relying on the five of them (and Ray Lindsey on some songs with an added guitar). That resulted in a more rock oriented sound for songs like Rhiannon, Over My Head, Say You Love Me, The Chain, and so many others. Between the added musicians and Stevie's obnoxious "girls" singing and shimmying in the background, it's like they decided to abandon that old approach and try to recreate the album on stage in a lot of cases.
you summed that up nicely and yeah that is the main difference in their sound on stage now compared to then. And I'm with you on Stevie's girls...I don't think they're that necessary in Fleetwood Mac...maybe only in Stevie's eyes.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 10-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's a few high quality pics from the opening night: http://postimg.org/gallery/57w3yvcs/ (Double click for full size.)

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I have been wanting to add my thoughts, but got sick right after the concert and had to attend a conference the next day... ugh! Since much of what I thought has already been stated, I'll keep it short and sweet:

I had never seen Christine perform with the band before, and I never knew what I had been missing. She adds so much. I realized that what we had before was Buckingham Nicks and the best rhythm section in the world, and now we had FLEETWOOD MAC. While some may be surprised that I don't prefer the former, when I sign up for a Fleetwood Mac show, that's what I want to get.

Christine started out a bit tentative but gained confidence and by Songbird was able to make me weep - and I wasn't the only one. When she came out to the front of the stage during Tusk with her accordion and smiled at audience members, I was delighted. She is amazing! However, maybe it was just my at-the-stage position, but I couldn't hear her as well on harmonies.

Stevie was better vocally than I've seen her in a long time, perhaps ever. She took risks on a couple songs - going high where she typically keeps it flat - and it made the songs much more dynamic.

Stevie's interactions with Lindsey during songs were treats: the fire of Gold Dust Woman and Silver Springs. However, Landslide was much less touchy-feely than it has been and they don't spent as much time talking to/about each other. I guess that's only natural, as doing so would exclude Christine, but I missed it a bit. Stevie also spent a great deal of time smiling encouragingly at Chris, especially during tricky harmonies which could be a bit shaky. Lindsey's few interactions with Chris were cute, although I wish there had been more between these terrific musicians.

Now Lindsey. Unfortunately for me, while I was lucky to get a spot at the stage, it was very high and Stevie's teleprompter blocked me from even seeing Lindsey unless I backed up a great deal, which I was hesitant to do since I didn't actually have a first row seat and there was one security guard in particular who seemed very keen on sending back miscreants such as myself. I had done the VIP thing and paid just as much money as those next to me, so I felt no guilt, but obviously I was unworthy in his eyes. I tried to be invisible and so missed Lindsey.

Basing it solely on sound, I can say his guitar is as sharp as ever. However, I was surprised that he changed so little: yes, we knew the speeches would be the same, that's just Lindsey, and I suspected his positioning would be the same as it would probably tax the lighting director if he didn't always stand in the same spot (I was glad of this during ISA and GYOW, the only times I actually saw him, because I knew he would come over to where I was at least twice). However, typically, he will at least have a new or different song, and such was not the case here. For better or for worse, no arrangements were changed. That was disappointing, but again, Lindsey was incredible whenever he played.

HIGHLIGHTS:

Little Lies. I was thrilled to hear this for the first time live with Lindsey and they really sounded tight as a band on that chorus where each vocalist has a distinct part. LOVED it.

Seven Wonders. I never expected them to switch out Stand Back for this, but I'm so glad! It was fun and despite a bit of a flub at the end of one of the verses, I was delighted by it.

Gold Dust Woman. Perhaps the best version I've ever heard. Stevie took vocal risks and while her "crackhead dance" started out a bit sketchy, it quickly became fascinating to watch. The howl was done as it should be. Her defiant ending - "You can't break me down, you can't take me now" etc. was far superior to her more plaintive one of recent times.

I'm So Afraid. This song is always a highlight for me; so intense!

Silver Springs. Stevie changed things up at the end and of course, I love her interaction with Lindsey.

Don't Stop. Lindsey and Christine worked together vocally in the way it should be done (no offense to Stevie) and Christine's keyboard solo was fantastic. Love it.

Songbird. I've already said how much this song moved me.

THINGS THAT COULD BE IMPROVED:

HOLD ME. I was largely unspoiled for the setlist, but someone told me beforehand that Hold Me had been planned and dropped. Very disappointing, as this would play a lot better than Over My Head, IMHO.

Over My Head. Why is Lindsey not singing harmonies on this like in the old days? His voice was missed.

Sisters of the Moon. I want the guitar solo at the end. I know it's apparently a lost cause for Rhiannon, but I was still hoping maybe we'd get it for this one. It would elevate the song so much. Honestly, Lindsey's guitar solo is my favorite part of the song.

Never Going Back Again. Oh, how I loathe the way Lindsey does this now. It is agony to listen to it at this point; his picking sounds like a novice who's not really sure what the next note is, so he has to pay it SUPER SLOWLY; his drawn out vocals make it boring; his holding a note until his breath runs out impresses me not a bit - anybody with sufficient lung capacity can do that - yet he acts as if it were downright operatic as he waits for the applause to commence. BLECH. I hate it so much that I have decided I will not applaud it, even if I'm right there at Lindsey's feet.

World Turning. Why do they have that stupid bit with the sound effects? It's been plaguing us for years now, and it's completely inane. At this point, we've already been forced to suffer through an extended drum solo... get back to the freaking song already!

The floating Lindsey head graphic. It's creepy. WTH?! To be fair, most of the graphics in the back were well-done, but yikes on that one. It reminded me of Max Headroom, a movie I hated.

ADDITIONAL SHALLOW THOUGHTS:

I prefer Lindsey in leather. He still is sex on a stick when he plays those hot electric guitar solos, though.
Stevie made a lot more eye contact with audience members than usual. It was cool.
Stevie needs to bring back the sexy Rhiannon top.
I adored Stevie's boots with the glittery heels. WANT.
Christine looks fantastic.
John's vest looked like something he stole from Mick's trunk, but I liked it.

Hmm, perhaps this wasn't so "short and sweet" after all, eh?

All in all, this show was terrific. Again, it was the first time I felt like I was really at a Fleetwood Mac concert. It was worth the trip and getting sick. No Fleetwood Mac fan should miss this tour. Sit in the cheap seats if the ones up front are too pricey, but go. It's epic, and I don't use that term lightly.

THE MAC IS BACK!!!!

Last edited by sodascouts; 10-03-2014 at 10:24 AM..
Old 10-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hate the new-ish version of Never Going Back Again too! It's sooooo over-the-top and angsty.

Well, I was thinking about how the setlist could be improved, since that is fun for me. Maybe a part of me wishes I was part of the band's management and could make suggestions. I think Over My Head is fine, but really should move to much earlier in the set. Toward the end, it takes out a lot of the momentum. It's probably too late now, but they could have spoken before Over My Head and said they wanted to take us through their albums together. Over My Head was the first single--thus, that would mark the beginning of this musical journey, starting with the White Album. This is what I came up with...maybe it would change up the pacing for the better?

Chain
You Make Loving Fun
Dreams
Second Hand News
--
Over My Head
Rhiannon
I'm So Afraid (Solo)
Say You Love Me
--
Tusk
Beautiful Child (subbing for Sisters of the Moon)
Think About Me (they need a song like this...like Little Lies...that's upbeat and gets the three of them singing and feeding off each other)
What Makes You Think You're the One (or gruff gruff I Know I'm Not Wrong)
--
Gypsy
Hold Me (again, this song is needed. It features all three voices...and I think Little Lies is really turning into one of the best songs of this tour, which really gives energy to the show)
--
Big Love
Everywhere
Seven Wonders
Little Lies
Gold Dust Woman
Don't Stop
Go Your Own Way
--
World Turning
Blue Letter
Landslide
--
Songbird
Old 10-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Stevie was better vocally than I've seen her in a long time, perhaps ever. She took risks on a couple songs - going high where she typically keeps it flat - and it made the songs much more dynamic.
And I was impressed that she just decided to really shout the last lines of SOTM, without fear for her throat. To me, it captured some of the old feistiness.

Sorry you were sick, Nancy. That was a great review.

Michele
Old 10-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, last two videos.

Second Hand News

Say You Love Me

Old 10-03-2014, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
I hate the new-ish version of Never Going Back Again too! It's sooooo over-the-top and angsty.

Well, I was thinking about how the setlist could be improved, since that is fun for me. Maybe a part of me wishes I was part of the band's management and could make suggestions. I think Over My Head is fine, but really should move to much earlier in the set. Toward the end, it takes out a lot of the momentum. It's probably too late now, but they could have spoken before Over My Head and said they wanted to take us through their albums together. Over My Head was the first single--thus, that would mark the beginning of this musical journey, starting with the White Album. This is what I came up with...maybe it would change up the pacing for the better?

Chain
You Make Loving Fun
Dreams
Second Hand News
--
Over My Head
Rhiannon
I'm So Afraid (Solo)
Say You Love Me
--
Tusk
Beautiful Child (subbing for Sisters of the Moon)
Think About Me (they need a song like this...like Little Lies...that's upbeat and gets the three of them singing and feeding off each other)
What Makes You Think You're the One (or gruff gruff I Know I'm Not Wrong)
--
Gypsy
Hold Me (again, this song is needed. It features all three voices...and I think Little Lies is really turning into one of the best songs of this tour, which really gives energy to the show)
--
Big Love
Everywhere
Seven Wonders
Little Lies
Gold Dust Woman
Don't Stop
Go Your Own Way
--
World Turning
Blue Letter
Landslide
--
Songbird

It just feels like Hold Me doesn't get the homage that it deserves. This tour would have been the perfect opportunity.